Anyone else get sleepy after having coffee?

TexasLaura

Cathlete
I am normally a tea drinker. I LOVE hot black tea with a spash of milk and I will have 1 to 3 cups a day. However, sometimes on the weekends I will drink a cup of coffee before I work out (I have read that the caffeine jolt may make you work harder during a workout).

I think I have to give up on it because it ALWAYS makes me sleepy. Very, very, very sleepy. Sometimes so sleepy that I have to have a brief nap because I literally cannot concentrate or function!! (My kids and husband find this hilarious!)

Does this happen to anyone else???

I find that caffeine doesn't affect me at all weather its coffee or tea. I could drink a double latte and fall asleep on the sofa 15 min. later while spending quality time with my hubby watching a movie. I think its bcause it warms me up as usually I'm cold. But I love it none the less.

Sarah

It's never happened to me, but I have heard two other people besides you that says it happens to them.

Shereta

Yep, I have that exact problem. I can drink coffee and within 15 minutes fall asleep while watching TV. Happens almost every evening. Not sure why? I did hear that if you intake too much caffeine, it could have the reverse effect on you. But I don't feel I drink too much coffee in a day. It's weird.

For some people the reverse is true with things like Nyquil. It's meant to put you to sleep but it gives some people insomnia! Very strange! :confused:

I definitely have that problem with Nyquil. It will keep me up all night. Even "Sleepy Tea" keeps me up. Coffee has it's normal, expected effect though.

Shelbygirl

I wonder if, for some people, caffeine (or the combo of caffeine and some other ingredients in coffee) acts as a stimulant of a part of the brain that calms one down, so instead of making one more nervous, hyper or excited, it has the opposite effect of what one would assume.

IIRC, some types of stimulants work in this way.

Interesting thought, Kathryn. Hot tea relaxes me dramatically. I always assumed it was the ritual but maybe not....
Thanks.

I can have coffee right before bed and it does not affect my sleep. Tea tends to keep me up longer but nothing crazy.

Jenn

I have tried drinking coffee before my cardio workouts. I did feel a little bit sleepy - maybe more relaxed than sleepy. I've had to stop.

Hmmmm, that's really interesting Laura. Coffee doesn't really make me sleepy or keep me up. But one thing that kept me up like speed was Oolong tea.... that was just crazy. I literally looked like this all through the night :eek: Maybe you could chase down some Oolong tea right after your coffee, lol.....TOTALLY KIDDING HERE!!!

LOL!!! That's sooo funny! But, if she literally "chased" it, she'd be back to being tired! :)

Cathe Friedrich said:
Hmmmm, that's really interesting Laura. Coffee doesn't really make me sleepy or keep me up. But one thing that kept me up like speed was Oolong tea.... that was just crazy. I literally looked like this all through the night :eek: Maybe you could chase down some Oolong tea right after your coffee, lol.....TOTALLY KIDDING HERE!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.