Anyone else finding they need a rack for meso 2?

NAB

Cathlete
I completed disc 16 yesterday and was wondering if anyone else is having trouble hoisting that barbell up for the bench presses! It was tough last week at 70% of my RM1 but this week at 75% (It was 45 lbs. on my 10 lbs. bar.) looks like it might be my limit. Unless I find a rack locally that that I can break down after every workout or get by husband to spot me, it looks like I might not be able to get to 80% with the bench press.

Natalie

I totally agree. I wish that Power Tower was available, because I really could use it. With that said, I'm not totally as concerned with going to my full 75%, as long as I'm getting a good workout. I'm certainly not going to try to lift more than I'm comfortable with in these circumstances, so I am limited. My bar also limits me anyway - it maxes out at 40 pounds (although I'm getting Plate Mates that will enable me to take it to 45 total pounds). That will have to be enough, because I don't have a spotter and I'm not buying another barbell and weights at this point. hmmm

Yep. I was just talking to my fiance about this. I have the exact problem--45 pounds for bench presses is probably my limit for hoisting that bar... I ended up using my 20 pound barbells with ankle weights and wrist weights wrapped around my wrists, and that was easier to hoist. But it was annoying to have all those wrapped around my arms.
I would really like the pull up bar/rack too...

Yes, after finishing disc 13, I knew I really needed something if I was going to continue at these levels, I was struggling by the third set, just to roll back and get the bar up, I had to quit a few reps early to be safe. I knew the 75% would not have been doable without something.

My barbell is very short, and I have wanted the Valor BD3 stands, but they are out of stock everywhere, even from Valor, so I found these safety stands, they should arrive on Thursday, I plan to do my next chest disc on Friday.

http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-93015-W...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1237256963&sr=8-1

I was anticipating this same problem for Meso 2 and I live in an apartment so I need something small and Dela, the Safety Stands look perfect for my needs! Thanks for posting it. Now, my next challenge is to source it in Toronto.

Thanks for the posts and the links to the racks. I use my bedroom for lifting so I really like those Safety Stands, Dela. Did they charge shipping based on weight?

I was anticipating this same problem for Meso 2 and I live in an apartment so I need something small and Dela, the Safety Stands look perfect for my needs! Thanks for posting it. Now, my next challenge is to source it in Toronto.
I'm from T.O as well. Let me know if you find something!!

Thanks for the posts and the links to the racks. I use my bedroom for lifting so I really like those Safety Stands, Dela. Did they charge shipping based on weight?

Hi, there was just a flat shipping charge of around $29 on Amazon, I usually avoid shipping charges like the plague :p but I just sucked it up and considered it part of the price. Even though NYBarbell shipped them, the process was more clear going thru Amazon than on the nybarbell site.

For the others in Canada, I looked around to see if anyone ships to Canada, but could not find anything. But I would recommend contacting this company directly, to see what they can do for you, the phone number is on the homepage.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/

Well, I got them, and they are sturdy, my shorter barbell fits, but I have to adjust the stands just right to make sure I have a good amount of room on each side. They actually work great for straight chest presses, but on an incline it is a little awkward, I have to sort of position them in front of me, keep my hand grip no more than shoulder distance, and then slide out from under it after I put the bar back on the racks. I think they would work much better with a slanted step instead of a bench, so there is more room to raise my arms. But I don't have the slanted risers.

So I'm not in love with these, but I really think part of my problem is this short dumbbell. But I just have stop buying stuff, so I'll just make this work.

I read on other boards, guys are using these for squat racks at the highest height, but you have to be in a pretty low squat already to start off and finish, so I'm not so sure about that.

I was on the fence about buying a rack but after I finished all of my 1 rep testing, I figured, I'm going to go for it so I can really attack STS full throttle. I ended up buying this unit...not bad for $157 and it takes up very little room. I'm really glad I did. I actually even use it for a modified pull up/chin up. I am loving it. http://www.total-trainer.com/Body-Solid-PowerLine-Squat-Rack-Model-PSS60X-811.

Thanks papaya.....
for the website I was looking for one also this one looks good...
thanks Eunice

You were able to use this squat rack for chin ups?

Hi, I was not sure which post you were referring to, but I just went down to try this out, I used an 18 pound padded body bar, and it would quite well for the kind of chin ups where you keep one or two feet on the floor.

Thanks for idea, I forgot that would be another use for them!

I just bought these from ebay. I hope they are okay. They are one of the smallest I have seen that are a squat/bench rack. They were only $117 dollars (+40 to ship) but they give you the option to pick up. They are in highland NJ. I couldn't find the valor in stock so I opted for these.

chrissy

I used mine tonight, and it was useless for incline work on my bench (they work fine for regular presses), but it's not the stands, my short barbell is just too short for this, so when I position the stands where I think they need to be, my arms hit them, if I move the stands back, my position is such that I need a lot of tricep strength (that I don't have for this kind of weight) to get the bar down because the bench is too high, I think using a slanted step might work better as it's lower to the ground, but I don't have them, I'm kind of frustrated, I keep spending money on stuff that just isn't working out right for me. :mad:

I'm thinking, I'll just live with the weight I can roll back with on the bench and call it a day. I was able to do it today with my prescribed 59 pounds, and should be able to go up a bit from there in time, so I think that will just have to do. After all, it's only 1 of the exercises on the dvd.

We need the power tower!

I was just scanning the posts for an update on the power tower for this same reason. I was very afraid with the 45 pound barbell and it's only going to be heavier next week! Looks like I will switch to barbells....but Cathe, we really need that power tower soon!!! I was hoping I could use my 20% discount on it!!

I just got notice my rack is coming today!!:eek: Although I won't need it for another 2 weeks when I start Meso 2.

chrissy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.