Anyone else concerned w/wacky winter weather?

I don't know about you all, but living here in MN, we're used to lots of cold and snow. This winter, it's like we're living in Kansas or Oklahoma. High's in the mid to upper 30's & 40's, very little snow, etc. I may be in the minority, but I long for the cold winter nights, snow up to my waist, the crisp cold air stinging my cheeks, etc. What is happening? Is it global warming? Are we suffocating our own Earth? Can it be reversed?

Just some food for thought...

I think it's global warming, too. Apparently even the Colorado storms are explained this way: when temperatures rise, the air is able to contain a lot more moisture. Here in Massachusetts, we have had nothing but rain this winter, and temperatures way, way above normal. The Gore film is a must-see.

I believe what we're experiencing is either an el Nino or Nina, one of the two, which is a natural weather pattern.

I live in Michigan and while it's been a warm winter, we never hit any record highs that I know of. I would have been much more concerned if we didn't receive enough precipitation, which IMO is the most important thing. Fortunately, it's rained plenty so far this winter. And now we're heading into a significant cold snap.

IMO, the Inconvenient Truth movie has made us more aware of human contributions to global warming, but I don't think it's going to be the catastrophe that's being predicted. At least not in our lifetimes.

This is some wacky weather. I am from Colroado and I have to say this is the worst weather I have seen here. It is COLD, windy, icy and worse than normal Colorado weather. The snow is at least to my waist and highter than my head in the drifts (I am 5'7"). I want to move where it is warm!

Here in CT it is very mild. The window next to my computer is half way opened and there is no way it should be opened at this time. It has been extremely warm here. We had flurries for the first time the other day. I am enjoying it!

We are expecting much colder temps soon. El Nino always wacks up the weather, but I am also in the camp of glad we are getting moisture, even though the sump is running continously. Here in farm country, it is very important. And honestly, I don't miss bitter cold and piles of snow. I am a warm weather person.

It is weird how places that are usually cold are having mild weather, and other places are colder than normal.

I think your weather decided to take a vacation. It decided to go south. It reached Texas today. Please call it up and ask it to come back home. We're not used to it here and definitely don't know how to handle ice.

You know it's weird weather, when New York's temperature for the day is in the 50's and here in Texas it is in the low 30's.

Jean

Well, our weather forecast in western LP MI is calling for a winter snow storm anywhere from 1"-1' of snow by Sunday midnight. Our summer was crazy too, it never got warm last year but winter had lots of snow. I remember living back in Detroit in the mid-70s and we had a winter similiar to this where it was above normal temps.
Yes, I will have more peace when we get dumped with snow.

I've heard too that it is El Nino, but that in effect it is caused by global warming. Personally, I think we humans have a lot to do with it. So, I do my best to do what I can to conserve energy and decrease waste. Even though I feel helpless, I am very conscious of the environment and do my part (but I have a feeling I am in the minority at least in our community) - I just hope this is an eye opener for everyone else to do the same or it won't mean much in the end. I am more concerned for my kids than myself but I do miss the predictable weather we used to have when I was a kid. Winter was winter and summer was summer.

Angie

I live in PA and we have had such mild weather....in the high 60's some days. I do not like it cold, but the snow is what keeps us out of drought (is that spelled right) mode in the spring. All of this rain is great, but in a few days, the water table goes down and we need more rain. If we had snow, it slowly melts, keeping the water table up for weeks. I run on well water and am always worried about our water levels.

As far a global warming, there are scientist who think global warming is bogus. It's hard to say....who do you believe? I was watching the news one night and they said the hottest year on record was in the 30's.

I have flowers coming up already...as I am sure most of you do too who live in the east. They are predicting some nasty cold weather to come our way and stay for a while and I am concerned that it may stunt the flowers for this summer. I hope this late cold weather doesn't push our spring back into June.

I left the plastic snowflakes that glow in the dark on the windows..I should take them down...75 degrees here today in Virginia where I live. Was warm yesterday too. I don't get this. Weird.

Charlotte~~

The Pacific Northwest is having the winter that everyone is missing -- it's usually mild all winter, but we've had snow that sticks around for days -- it hasn't gotten above freexing for 5 days now.

For Washington state, that's saying something! :)

I enjoy the 70 and 75 degree days in winter, lots of days around 60 too, but I truly believe the Blue Marble (Earth) is really going to change soon. Lots of environmental problems are already happening, and by the time more people believe it, there may not be time to have much effect. It may not be horrible in my lifetime, I'm 49, but that doesn't mean I want to leave an environmental disaster to innocent people not yet born, or to people (like my daughter) who have a long time still to live.

It has been a very warm winter here (Chapel Hill NC). We should have highs in the 40s and 50s now. But the trees are blooming, the daffodils are up. Bugs are out. The mosquitoes have never really stopped.

I just got back from a 30 mile bike ride, and I was in shorts and a Tshirt, which is lovely. But, I do hope more people start living like the Earth matters. Not just conserving energy, but building homes differently, making purchases differently, running businesses differently. Sustainably.

Liane

I'm in Central Tx which doesn't typically get much of a "winter". However, we are expecting snow and/or sleet tomorrow. The schools have already decided to close. Texans don't know how to drive in this type of weather! :eek:

I hear you. I am here in San Antonio, TX and it is so cold here. It is supposed to snow down here too. I hope it does because schools here have shut down for tomorrow and I want to be able to take my kids outside to play in the snow. The last time they saw snow was a few years ago when we were in Fort Hood, TX and it was on or around Valentine's Day, and there was snow on the ground for a few hours before it snowed and the kids had a ball since they had never seen snow before. They are excited that it might snow in the morning. WooHoo! I'm just glad I already did all my errands and grocery shopping so I don't have to drive in it. People down here drive crazy when it rains a little, I'd hate to see how they are with a little snow or ice! AAHHH!

Blame El Nino because that is what is causing it.
Until I see a study that proves global warming without deleting data or falsifying data I will remain skeptical. The media loves to drum up the catastrophe of the week to satisfy our cravings for news 24 hours a day. Don't fall into the trap.

Ok so no snow here in San Antonio. Bummer. The kids woke up and wanted to go outside to play in snow but upon looking out the window, there was none of the white stuff. I see though that central texas got snow though. Lucky!!! I am originally from Ohio and places up north like Kentucky and North Carolina, but Ohio primarily so I am missing the sledding and snowman building!

I choose not to worry about it. All I can do is what I can do. I use the flurescent bulbs, and drive as little as possible. And try not to use plastic bags, blah, blah, blah. It's all that I can do.
I guess in my mind I don't see a point in worrying about it. All that does is stress me out and I can't control what other people are doing, have done and will do.
I've also heard that it's El Nino that is causing it. But it just seems like every year for the past 5-10 years here in MN we just haven't gotten a lot of snow. Heck, I've heard that Polaris is going to stop making snowmobiles due to lack of sales. Dh and I have a friend that deals in snowmobiles parts and he's looking for a new job due to lack of business. So, I don't think it's just this year that has been wacked out. IT's been a series of years. But I've also heard farmers say that the weather goes in 7 year cycles where you'll have 7 years of perfect weather and then 7 years of bad. Bad meaning, too much rain, too cold, too warm, not enough rain. Good meaning perfect temps, perfect amount of rain and snow. I believe that the 7 years of bad is coming to a close soon, if this is true.

Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.