Anybody take STS to the gym?

mlj83081

Cathlete
So here's my issue....I've started Meso 1 and feel that I have a good enough weight selection to properly get through. But...I just plain can't afford to purchase the variety I know I'm going to need for the rest of the program. I do have a gym membership, and I was thinking I could take the program with me by bringing the info booklet it STS came with. Just seems weird in a way... not having Cathe there to cheer me on :( But I would have access to everything that I need. Wondering if anybody else has done this and how it worked for them....

Bumping up, I'd like to know too. I have everything I need BUT we just put our house on the market, and I had to break down the gym. So I joined a gym, and would like to start up STS again, but I'm with you, part of the appeal for me is to follow Cathe.

I think there are some past posts on ripping the dvds and putting them on an ipod.

Do you have a portable DVD player??

My DD has one and I have considered taking it and STS to the gym with me. My gym has a women's workout room and I could easily plug it in in the corner out of the way from everyone. Just a thought...:)

Bumping up, I'd like to know too. I have everything I need BUT we just put our house on the market, and I had to break down the gym. So I joined a gym, and would like to start up STS again, but I'm with you, part of the appeal for me is to follow Cathe.

I think there are some past posts on ripping the dvds and putting them on an ipod.

I'd be interested too as my supply of dumbbells isn't enough for all of her dvd's

That is how I am planning on using the heavy lifting cycles. I will probably just take the workout guide with me, not the DVD.
I don't have the room in my house...we downsized from 3000+ sq ft to 1200 sq. ft. I also can't justify the expense of purchasing all the extra equipment while paying my YMCA membership.
The men there are used to seeing me running around with printed rotations, cheat sheets, etc. They often come check out my routines with interest!:p

Becky

I ripped one of the legs squat rack dvds to my husband's iphone. (He gave the plyo legs a good try, but I think the heavy weight for legs is more his style.) He will probably go do it over the weekend. I will do my best to remember to report back with what he thought.

My husband and I have been doing the STS workouts at the gym.
We purchased the DVDs even though we don't have a home gym.
The night before, we print out the workout card, and then fast forward through the DVD to make sure we know all the exercises and to get any funky counts or rep ranges that aren't on the workout cards. It takes probably half an hour to do this, but we feel like it's worth it because STS is such a great program, and we just can't afford to build the home gym right now. We just finished up week 2 of Meso 2. Meso 1 was harder to write down and take w/us as far as the different counts and pulses that Cathe uses. So far Meso 2 is pretty straightforward...Sometimes it's a little hard to stick to the prescribed rest periods (especially in Meso 1) because we have to run all over the gym to get to the next area or bench or whatever, but we do our best :)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, but this has been working out great for us so far.

Gosh I feel better! At least I know I'm not the only one...:) I don't think there's anywhere that I could just throw the dvd in at the gym, but I'm going to look into attempting to put it on my ipod...if it's possible idk...thanx everyone!

I, like jodijodi, have 'ripped' some of my STS dvds, along with a couple of other AB segments from other Cathe DVDs to an MP4 format and then loaded those onto my iPod. That is the perfect way to bring Cathe workouts to the gym. Plus it also allows me to have another way of backing up my investment in STS and making sure I have versions that will never get scratched or broken.

I take these to the gym

Hi,

I take all the workouts to the gym. Here is my experience, pros and cons:

Pros:
All the equipment is there - no need to purchase anything
Can get a spotter if you need one for working to failure
You can substitute machines and the cable system for extra variety
Trainers (at my gym) are there if I have any form questions
I can use the aerobics room or boxing room for extra space when they are not in use
Social - people will be curious about your workouts
Show off your results lol!

Cons:
You might have to wait for equipment to free up and your rest period may be longer, but that is ok - this depends on what time you go to the gym of course.
You will need to let people work in when you are doing meso 2 and 3. I feel bad if I am on a piece of equipment too long, but I also want to get in my sets. I just tell people to feel free to work in. I also ask to work in when I need to use a piece of equipment. Proper gym etiquette! (Although one lady got mad when I asked her - not cool! It was only 7 reps!!! - meso 3)
Your gym might be crowded at times and you might have a space issue.
You will also need to move equipment and get things set up for the timing of some of the exercises - but you would need to do that at home too.
You can't see Cathe - but that is why I previewed the videos and took extensive notes on the exercises that I was unsure of - now I know them by heart.

I copied all of the workout cards into a multi-tabbed Excel sheet (one tab per workout color coded of course by meso cycle). I have a master tab for my 1 RM list. All of the tabs have formulas in it to calculate the appropriate weight based on that 1 RM master sheet. All of the 1RMs on the tabs are linked back to the master sheet. So I just update the master sheet and then it populates through the whole workbook. I am finishing up my second round of STS so I am going to create a new worksheet with graphs that will compare my gains over the last 6 months. Yes, I am seriously a hyper nerd and I will probably find other ways to analyze this to death as well. hahaha!

Anyway, I print out these Excel sheets and take them to the gym. I have included instructions and all the details about how the exercises are done. I took good notes when I previewed the videos. I make notes during the workouts too about what I used and the reps and how it felt. This way I can track and compare everything. I so love STS!!!

Another thing to mention - you have to be comfortable about doing this workout in public at the gym. At first people stared at me, now they are used to my routine. I know there were wondering why this girl was lifting so heavy. Plus, if you are female, you may also be in the minority in the weight room/area at your gym. Be comfortable with that. I just put on my headphones and plowed through the workouts. The cool thing is that since I have achieved such great results, the trainers at my gym want to know all about my program. They were impressed with how challenging it looks and how hard I work. I have been told I am the hardest working person at the gym and that my results have not gone un-noticed. Pretty cool. Of course, I just refer all the trainers and other people who ask to www.cathe.com!!!

I hope that helps - I have had a great experience at the gym with this workout. Good luck!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.