Anybody else give up alcohol for good?

Because I have a St Emilion premier cru for Christmas day, which I'm longing to try!!!
But you do have a point ;)

OMG I think I said this yesterday morning! LOL
I went out on Saturday night and had 3 half pints of 8.5% beer...I was so hungover all of yesterday. It started with the headache and then the nausea, and stomach cramps:( Spent the day in my pjs on the couch!
We usually go out for drinks on weekends and I drink beer, I like beer, I really like beer. But I do think I need to cut back. I usually have 2 pints of regular Canadian beer (4-5%) Never more than that. And the odd day after work, I will have 1 bottle. Is this a lot??
Not sure if I can give it up completely. Did I mention I like beer? It's all about moderation, right? Also, I find a lot of articles on the benefits of drinking both wine and beer. I think if you are going to have one it would be best to have a wine or beer than some sugary mixed cocktail.
I do know I need to cut back, I thought of maybe switching to low carb, light beer (low flavour :() And making sure it's just on weekends and only having one! What do you drink at a pub when everyone else has a drink? I am not drinking a pop!

Try taking gymnema sylvestre for the cravings, that way you can decide how much alcohol you want to drink instead of the alcohol deciding for you.

I so relate to those who said that they are getting less and less tolerant of alcohol as they get older. I am the exact same way! I'm 41 now and each year that ticks by I find I can tolerate smaller and smaller amounts of alcohol compared to when I was younger.

I am another one who grew up in a family and had friends who's social activities revolved around alcohol. It is tough when you are the only one not downing a glass of wine or bottle of beer. I do enjoy a glass of red and/or microbrew beers (I love the Belgian white ale's especially). However, I've found I have to nurse a single bottle or small glass of wine all night or risk a nasty headache, terrible sleep or upset stomach. It sucks, quite frankly. :p LOL

I have often wondered if it is partially because of my improved lifestyle habits from the last 5 years or so...incorporating exercise and eating healthier maybe makes me less tolerant of toxins like alcohol?

I so relate to those who said that they are getting less and less tolerant of alcohol as they get older. I am the exact same way! I'm 41 now and each year that ticks by I find I can tolerate smaller and smaller amounts of alcohol compared to when I was younger.

I am another one who grew up in a family and had friends who's social activities revolved around alcohol. It is tough when you are the only one not downing a glass of wine or bottle of beer. I do enjoy a glass of red and/or microbrew beers (I love the Belgian white ale's especially). However, I've found I have to nurse a single bottle or small glass of wine all night or risk a nasty headache, terrible sleep or upset stomach. It sucks, quite frankly. :p LOL

I have often wondered if it is partially because of my improved lifestyle habits from the last 5 years or so...incorporating exercise and eating healthier maybe makes me less tolerant of toxins like alcohol?

Same here. The more healthy/fitter I get lol quicker I recover from brutal cardio and lifting workout but more recovering from hangover decline! :eek::eek:. Plus i just can not face the fact of not being up and running for the workout the day after:(:(

Hello, I guess I am lucky because I am not tolerant to alcohol hardly at all at any age! It is shocking to because my parents both were alcoholics and that was the reason they took me from them. But my real sister is an alcoholic as well I have 5 siblings all together and all of them are addicted to something. I think mine is food.
I have tried to drink and all the family gatherings did revolve around alcohol when I reunited with my real family but I just never could keep up with it. But I have always been active to they haven't. So I am wondering if it has more to do with our bodies not wanting the toxins like the poster before me mentioned? I think that may be the key. I'm sure age plays some role but my sister drinks everyday and starts at 10 or 12 in the noon and she gets drunk drunk but the next day she seems to not have a hangover or feel lethargic. My husband is same way. But me? I drink two beers and I either get a buzz fast or it makes my head hurt right then. Not fun at all.
So it is easy for me to stay away from it. Good luck to you on quoting!

Yes - as I get fitter I am getting less tolerant of any toxins - alcohol and sugar in particular (I get a sugar hangover :eek: ) - but there is no way I could now eat anything remotely like 'junk' food.
I feel I'm so lucky with what my body can do at my age - so I must respect it and reward it with the best nutrition I can.
I LOVE food (and wine), but there are ways to eat healthily and tastily.

Friends think I'm neurotic about what I eat - but quite honestly, a bag of chips is wasted calories, when I could be having healthy / yummy stuff.
Rant over!

Justine

To Road trippers

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to add---Let's this thread not deter anyone from loosen up ;);)during road trips. I know there could be some hotel lobby gathering involving hmmm wine etc---. This occasion is just too important and exciting to not include a drink! Enjoy lucky ladies:D:D:D

Did someone say "give up alcohol for good"??? What are you crazy!?!:eek: LOL My answer is quite simply...NO! I enjoy my night caps. I have changed a lot of my eating habits but I refuse to give up everything I enjoy so CHEERS! :)

Well I love Tequila, belys, but I Felt guilty after.I'm no to good any more after I have a healthy live plus medicine for pain easy to get headeck.

Keep it occasional and under control while enjoying;)
If deep down you know you can not control it to the point of jeopardizing your health, you may consider giving up for good. Health is too important!

Did someone say "give up alcohol for good"??? What are you crazy!?!:eek: LOL My answer is quite simply...NO! I enjoy my night caps. I have changed a lot of my eating habits but I refuse to give up everything I enjoy so CHEERS! :)

Thank you fit_mommy! While there are some really valid reasons to quit presented in this thread, I too enjoy having a glass of wine. I try to focus on moderation and don't have a desire to quit altogether (at least yet).

Lisa

I gave it up years ago, cannot even remember when. But really, I am so glad! The benefits of not drinking alcoholic beverages farrrrr outweigh the supposed benefits of drinking it.
Alcohol is so expensive, it is caloric, it is hard on your body, it makes one feel and look like crap.:rolleyes: also, people do and say stupid things when they are under the influence.

I am not judging anyone else for their choices, i just know that for me, it was a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Alcohol is dehydrating, which adds to the headache from the metabolites of alcohol. I used to enjoy alcohol in my college days but my tolerance is now so low that I don't drink at all. I don't judge anyone else for doing so unless it interferes with their ability to function as a parent, at work, behind the wheel of a car, etc. I wish I could enjoy a cordial (I have a sweet tooth), but I think my brain is sensitized so that a headache comes on very fast after even a small amount. Perhaps there's a psychological component because it's surely not completely physiologic.

I also find that when I used to have wine at night, my will power to stay away from over eating went right out the window. Anyone know what I mean? I read that it does lower your inhibitions. I just could not say "no" to myself as easily as I can when I do not have alcohol. I need all the help I can get to keep from over eating at night. That's a win/win -- I don't get the alcohol calories and I don't get the calories from over eating!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.