Anybody else give up alcohol for good?

burnmarie

Cathlete
I am giving up alcohol for good, I had my family Christmas party this past weekend, and yesterday I felt like crap all day and got nothing accomplished.

Anybody else swear to give up drinking for good?

It's just hard because all my family stuff revolves around alcohol, and I have a huge family. You are treated like an outcast if you don't drink but I don't like how it makes me feel and how I act, so New Years Resolution for 2014 is no alcohol whatsoever!

Sort of - I gave up for over 18 months - then had one last road trip with my daughter before she left home, and drank wine on the trip. On my return I sort of kept drinking (if that doesn't sound too bad). I'm going to do another drink-free stint next year (probably start January).
I looked so much better, shed my flabby bits (the stubborn bits that just wouldn't budge otherwise), my skin was great and my mind clear. I slept incredibly well, and felt at peace with the world....
just saying that makes me think I should give up now ;)
Best of luck if you do.
Justine

I'm trying now to give it up. The older I get, I turn 51 Saturday, the less my body can tolerate it. I have found that alcohol intensifies my hot flashes, which are bad enough without alcohol! Also, I can not sleep at all during the night if I drink and just feel lousy the next day. It's just not worth it any more. Plus, I end up eating crap when I drink and totally sabatoge my exercise efforts.

It's very hard since my husband and all of our friends drink. Football season is the worst! None of my friends exercise or even eat healthy. So when I say, "No Thank you" to a drink, they continually pressure me until I finally give in and end up having way too much. I think I need new friends! ha

I'm with you BurnMarie. Here's to a New Year and hopefully new body!

I don't drink at all. I found that it made me feel lousy and gain weight. Not fun. I am lucky, my immediate family doesn't drink either. However, I have encountered significant peer pressure to drink. Why? I have no idea. Why should someone else give two petunias whether or not I imbibe. None of their bees waz. There was one director of photography who was such a drunk that he went around telling people that he couldn't trust them if they were sober. Whatever. :rolleyes: Not to mention the fact that alcohol is bad for women who are estrogen dominant and leads to breast cancer. But, hey whatever, so long as its good for your social life (sarcasm) right?

At some point all of us have to put a little distance between ourselves and our family over something. For me, it was sexual abuse when I was little. I don't fraternize with the perp. I don't. I hate his guts and I won't pretend that I'm ok with him. For you, its the alcohol. You don't have to fraternize with people who would bully you into drinking, whether they are blood relatives or not. Family is the people who care about you, not just share genetics with you. Frankly, blood is over rated.

My hubby can't tolerate it, so we both decided not to drink anymore. Benefits for us are no more hangovers, better decisions, lost weight, sleep better, no more horrible arguments or making a fool of ourselves, even our skin looks better, we are more aware of the things around us... We haven't had any alcohol for close to 6 years. We are living a joyous life.

My family use to be a drinking family in my younger years. When we visit now, they don't seem to be drinking much if at all. I think they realize too it's not very healthy and pretty much have let it go. Only on occasion will they drink and not to the point of getting drunk. Makes for a pleasant visit.

Janie

Last edited:
A few years back, I really began to notice an increase in headaches or migraines that I was associating with red wine. We break out the red wine for family dinners, and it was never more than a glass or two or three at the most for big meals .. but one evening I had just the smallest ounce tastes of two bottles of wine, and I woke up with the worst headache at 5am. Not enjoyable.

So I was then sticking to beer - again occasionally. Until we went on a brewery crawl. Again - not enough beer to get wasted .. but enough sips over a long few afternoon that I felt just awful. Haven't had a full beer since then (last fall.)

I'll have an occasional cup of sake, or sugar free margarita, or rare glass of white wine, but really it doesn't add anything to my life.

Yes - lots of family get togethers revolve around drinking, but it's easy enough to stick to water or ice tea or what not.

I love Red Wine! But the last year or two I just can't drink more than 1 glass without feeling awful. Not hung over and I'm not drinking enough to be drunk by any means but I just don't feel good the next day. And forget about exercising! I feel like I'm dragging all day.

As far as outside folks go I can't stand it....whenever I say "no I'm not drinking" or "no cake for me" there is always someone that has to give me a hard time. They are usually being funny but I just wish folks could mind their own business!

I'm trying now to give it up. The older I get, I turn 51 Saturday, the less my body can tolerate it. I have found that alcohol intensifies my hot flashes, which are bad enough without alcohol! Also, I can not sleep at all during the night if I drink and just feel lousy the next day. It's just not worth it any more. Plus, I end up eating crap when I drink and totally sabatoge my exercise efforts.

Did I write this? LOL. This is exactly what happens with me. I am 48 and alcohol just makes me sleep miserably. I toss and turn and have night sweats like you wouldn't believe and alcohol causes me to just forget what I am eating, which is not a good idea, since I have food allergies. :( I have cut way back and when I drink, I only have one. If I don't, I ALWAYS regret it. Without fail!

Stick to your Gun!

What an interesting subject.

With regard to alcohol I could say I am lucky!

I was brought up by parents who have always enjoyed drinking occasionally. Growing up we were having drink week end as a treat with special meal. Those occasions averaged to a glass per week. I have never been keen on beer. I don't feel any pleasure in drinking this "bitter beverage":D:D. I occasionally enjoy fruity belgian traditional beer though. This happen once in a bleu moon.

Since I have been working out consistently i think twice to even sip a glass Friday knowing I will be lifting the day after. It's just take out the mental focus and it's a Grrr time!:mad: So I literally do not drink. This might sound dull but I grew up having fun without necessarily having alcohol around! As to my close familly, they drink occasionally without binging.

I love my red wine but I know it knocks me out,so drink white instead occasionally;):):)

That being said I can handle pressure for both drinking and "poor food choice"

To all who want to give up for good, I would say you do not have to justify to any one for making a change for your health!

All the best everyone,

Last edited:
This is so relevant in my life right now. I'm trying to cut back on booze and save it only for Friday & Saturday night. I've had too many early morning workouts ruined by not sleeping because I had drinks the night before. Its very difficult because a lot of social life with my husband revolves around "having a cocktail", "Meeting for a drink", "getting together for a glass of wine", etc. I rarely drank until after we married and it used to be only on Friday and Saturday nights. Then it got to where we were fixing drinks every night. It is so easy to fall into this trap of having a drink or drinks every night. The good thing is my husband wants to cut back as well because he wants to lose weight. He has a tummy that he can't get rid of and he doesn't eat that much or particularly bad stuff for that matter and he calculated that he was drinking about 2000 calories a day. And, not to mention the money we'll save from not having to go to Spec's all the time to get more booze! I support you 100%, its a hard thing to do, I've heard that it takes 21 days to make a habit. And, don't be ashamed to stand up say that you prefer not to drink. Remember there are a lot of other people out there that for one reason or another, choose not to drink. Like a designated driver, a pregnant woman, some people take certain medications that can't be mixed with alcohol, and those who just don't like the taste of it. Best wishes and good luck! As Cathe says "We're in this together!"

One glass of red wine with dinner and my two herb teas every night and I sleep good - not great - just good. I'm not tossing and turning all night. If I do overindulge in alcohol, I've noticed it brings on hot flashes but they are not that intense since I'm on HRT right now.

I am with you guys on people who push alcohol on everyone around them. This has been going on all of my adult life and I cannot stand it. I ended up marrying a lush (divorced him eight very long years later). I don't care to be around people who are falling down drunk.

My husband and I both gave up drinking. It's probably easier that we BOTH gave it up together. We neither one drank much, but both of us are better off with out it now. I will have an occasional glass of wine WITH dinner (not more than once a month). It makes it special and NOT like a daily food group. When we go to a party where there will be drinking, we both have a glass and fill it with water. I'll put a twist of lemon in mine. We stand there with a "drink" in hand and are not hassled. I'm really glad we are on the wagon!

Those of you who say your social or family life revolves around "having a drink" should try just tonic water, or club soda with lime whenever the situation calls for having a drink in your hand. My DH and I have sat at many a bar with friends while only drinking club soda. A glass of water works fine too. For us, it isn't about having alcohol, it's about socializing, so we are happy to pass on the beer, wine and liquor.

As with a lot of people, we were partiers in our younger days and could handle it. I've found as I get older, and as I get more in tune with my body and wanting to always feel good, skipping the drinks is the way to go. I also discovered that eliminating alcohol from my diet gave me a leaner, more toned physique.

That said, I do treat myself to a lemon drop martini about every two weeks on our Saturday night date. I limit myself to one though. Any more than that and I pay with sleeplessness and a headache the next day. SO not worth it!

Oh this thread is getting so popular!

I just want to add, Let's handle alcohol like weight lol . Do not let it control you, you control it:eek:;)

This is very timely! I NEED to give up alcohol and will be starting dec 26. I have found my occasional glasses of wine became much more than occasional. And I never contributed it to more hot flashes! That explains so much!

I gave up all alcohol four years ago and I cannot even begin to say how much better life it now.....in every way!!!:D

Glad to hear so many feel the same way I do. I am going to be 29 next month, and I was quite the party girl up until I met my now husband back when I was 23, my husband was 30 at the time and definitely over the party stage but tried to keep up with me til I started to grow out of it about a year later.
My biggest problem is not that I drink a lot as far as multiple times a week. It's when I do drink I can't seem to stop until I am completely S%4t Faced. That again is because I drink with my family and they are all partiers and drinkers like that. It just seems to be all or nothing for me, I can't seem to find a middle ground. I guess that means I probably shouldn't drink then LOL>

OMG I think I said this yesterday morning! LOL
I went out on Saturday night and had 3 half pints of 8.5% beer...I was so hungover all of yesterday. It started with the headache and then the nausea, and stomach cramps:( Spent the day in my pjs on the couch!
We usually go out for drinks on weekends and I drink beer, I like beer, I really like beer. But I do think I need to cut back. I usually have 2 pints of regular Canadian beer (4-5%) Never more than that. And the odd day after work, I will have 1 bottle. Is this a lot??
Not sure if I can give it up completely. Did I mention I like beer? It's all about moderation, right? Also, I find a lot of articles on the benefits of drinking both wine and beer. I think if you are going to have one it would be best to have a wine or beer than some sugary mixed cocktail.
I do know I need to cut back, I thought of maybe switching to low carb, light beer (low flavour :() And making sure it's just on weekends and only having one! What do you drink at a pub when everyone else has a drink? I am not drinking a pop!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.