Anybody else disappointed in the music?

I just finished an STS rotation and have to say that I couldn't tell you one way or another what I thought about the music. I guess I was always working so hard and thinking about my workout that I didn't even notice it! :rolleyes:
Pam

My bad! :eek: I'm sorry, to me the music sounded like the software type music; I didn't mean to insult the composers! Really!

I understand that the sound quality was still a work in progress at the roadtrip. I listen and view my husband's "worK-in-progress" projects all the time so I know how that is! It was just simply not "my style"... I know Cathe's workouts are awesome, I have tons of them. I just know that bouncy music is what will get me going in the morning, and with money tight at the time, I figured STS wasn't for me. But, I'm more of a circuit-style-total-body-workout kind of girl too anyway!

I’m sure most of you don’t realize how music licensing for video works, but you can’t just purchase any song you like. If we could select any “song” for a video we could make some really rocking soundtracks, but this can’t be done legally or in a timely manner.

I have to agree with Chris. The royalties has gotten ridiculous. Chalene Johnson had to sell off all her previous Turbo Kick rounds because of the licensing requirement and royalties. We need to lobby Congress to change the laws. I don't think reasonable fees are too much to ask. British fitness videos can use popular music performed by the original artists, but our archaic copyright laws force the fitness video industry to use canned music, write their own or pay exhorbitant fees to use a 3 minute song.

Music for video

Very well said and even sadder the poor system that was in place is now completely broken. We talk to a lot of music producers that are totally frustrated with the system as we are too.

I just finished an STS rotation and have to say that I couldn't tell you one way or another what I thought about the music. I guess I was always working so hard and thinking about my workout that I didn't even notice it! :rolleyes:
Pam

I agree w/Pam and some of the other posters, most of the time I don't even notice the music; between my heavy breathing; & my grunts & groans & wondering why on earth I'm torturing myself, I don't really notice the music until the cool down. But once I'm done, I feel so accomplished.

Music? I cannot even concentrate on the music when my muscles are on fire! I swear, I haven't even "heard" the music over my heavy breathing and Cathe telling me what torture is next...ha! ;)

Back to the original post...

...I have to disagree. I have grown to love the music, especially during the intervals in Hiit. Without the music bursts, I wouldn't make it through!

I just did Imax2 last night and Wow the music is so great on that one. I agree with you, I found the music on this series very unmotivational and I never reach for these videos.

Same here. I love the music form Body Blast and the Intensities.

Same here. I love the music form Body Blast and the Intensities.
I can't think of any Intensity series workout where I didn't like (or even love) the music. And it was good without being "top 40" or familiar tunes, or vocal music (on which I find that sometimes the singer's voice competes with an instructor's voice.).

I actually thought it was a genius approach to music in STS and I do love how it builds as the intensity increases during the workouts :)
Sometimes I'm not pushing as hard as I should and the music makes me chuckle when I realize I'm slacking . . . lol
You are completely right - it would be annoying to just get into a pop song then have it go to a "breather" moment song - GREAT WORK on STS and thanks for all y'all do :)

Tami :)

I entirely agree with you, Tami! I love the STS music - now that I'm going through it for the second time, it only takes a bars of the introduction to get me moving and ready to focus. I've gotten in the habit of starting the dvd before I change to my workout clothing, just to get in the mood. Something about the opening theme tells me I *am* strong, and I *am* ready to work.

Pop songs wouldn't be the same.

I think the music in STS strength is totally appropriate. I am so busy concentrating on my workout that the music is background noise..... all the better to keep my form correct. I understand what Cathe said about describing what the crew was feeling doing the exercises in each workout, the music compliments those feelings without overshadowing them.

The music for STS cardio is about the best you can expect given the licensing restrictions. As a fitness instructor, I know it is getting mighty hard to find great "legal" music to play at gyms and clubs. I can only imagine this is exponentially harder in the DVD fitness industry where royalties that must be paid are ridiculously huge. I applaud Cathe and SNM for giving us exceptional workout experiences and I will continue to be a very loyal customer.

I can't think of any Intensity series workout where I didn't like (or even love) the music. And it was good without being "top 40" or familiar tunes, or vocal music (on which I find that sometimes the singer's voice competes with an instructor's voice.).

I agree. The Intensity music is so motivating. I bought the IS DVD years ago and I sill use it to this day. :D

I understand that many of us are concentrating on form and technique when working out, but for me the music is important. I love the music from the intensity and body blast sereis they help me get excited about the workout. For me, I think the music helps me concentrate even more and helps me not concentrate of being tired. I think the music in those series were 80s tunes and worked really well for those workouts. I would like to hear more of that or any other songs that can add a pep in my step.

:D

From the original poster:

I enjoy the music for the STS STRENGTH series. I was referring to the STS Cardio series. There are bits I enjoy, but like many others I enjoyed earlier music. I must admit I am completely naive to how music is purchased, etc for use in videos. Thank you SNM for explaining how you obtain your music. I love Cathe's vidoes including the latest series. So please keep making

Pam

Me too! I was aware of the music, but didn't have an opinion about it, one way or the other. It was fine, it worked, I worked. And STS worked, too! :D

I am too busy gasping for air while doing Shock Cardio to worry about what music is playing in the background! :D

I haven't begun STS yet but when I do I am sure I will not pay too much to the music in those work outs either cause I'll be too busy saying unsavory things to the tv! :D;):p

I like how each of Cathe's series has a different style of music. I think the STS music is totally appropriate for the exercises being done. And I really like the music in Shock Cardio. Last weekend I did "Step Moves" and "MMA Boxing" and both times I found myself loving the music!! As my DH said, if someone doesn't like the music in STS, they just need to "heavy up" the weights a little and then they will be too busy working to worry about the music :)

Another voice of dissention here - I did like the music. Big thank you to Cathe and SNM for the high quality products they consistently deliver. In some dvds, I like the music more, in others less - you can't please everyone all of the time and I have no problem accepting that. Certain tracks on STS Strength appeal to me more than others, same for Shock Cardio. Irrespective of whether I am loving the tune at a given moment, I find it fulfills its purpose, which is to motivate you during work efforts and become more soothing during rest intervals. A good majority of the STS Strength dvds end with the same tune and I have come to really look forward to those familiar chords because I know I have worked hard and the end is near....I wish I had it to play at the end of my races :) to get me psyched for the last quarter mile home stretch. It isn't easy to be an innovator in any business, let alone the fitness industry, which sees new trends emerge constantly - by the time you are in it, people have moved on to the next fad.....Cathe and crew are consistent and tireless in their efforts and even if something isn't totally my favorite, I know I have oldies to fall back on and newbies to look forward to. To SNM's earlier point, licensing fees are killer right now and there isn't alot out there to choose from, even as an individual consumer looking for workout music, let alone a fitness production company.
Just my .02 cents.

I'm not sure I understand how people are saying its difficult to get "popular" music for dvds. I just got my Collage Video catalog, and there's three whole pages of instructor music, and it specifically says "Nearly perfect remakes, but not by the original artists". Why couldn't that music be used?

Music

You can not "legally" use music made for an audio CD for video. You have to obtain a music license for "Video Sync" from all interested parties to legally use a song in any type of video production. This includes paying the singer, composer and producer. You can hire different singers instead of paying the original singer and save a lot of money, but the composers still have to be paid. This is something that we do in a lot of the music we do. Doing this for audio is very simple and there are set rates for doing this per song. This is not so simple for video as there are no set standard rates and each songs license must be negotiated separately. This is a long, frustrating and tedious task.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.