Any recs on a GPS???

banslug

Cathlete
I'm buying a GPS for myself, finally! Any recommendations???

I'm looking at the Garmin Nuvi series (the 255W w/ 4.3" touchscreen, to be specific). Anybody have this series or model?

Or recommendations on others?
Any features I need to be aware of???

I simply need something to tell me how to get from Point A to Point B. I'm geographically-challenged! :p

Gayle

We have a Garmin(not sure ofmodel) and love it. It has voice and is very simple to operate. Got it last year at Best Buy for around $240.

My DH as a TomTom (not sure which model) and he loves it! He's had it for about 3 years now so they may have come out with other models since then, but it's never failed him. I'd like to get one for myself.

ETA that we've had some great dates, thanks to our TomTom! It will show you points of interest for your location and we've found some really cool things in our own backyard that we never knew existed! FUN!!!

TomTom here too. It's a love/hate relationship. She seems to do good for DH but gets me lost...maybe it's just me???? They are wonderful to have.

Oh, thanks, everybody! I'm going to make up my mind and make my purchase tonight.

I'm hoping whatever GPS I choose, I'm able to change the voice to a sexy, handsome-sounding gentleman! ;)

Gayle

Oh, thanks, everybody! I'm going to make up my mind and make my purchase tonight.

I'm hoping whatever GPS I choose, I'm able to change the voice to a sexy, handsome-sounding gentleman! ;)

Gayle
ROTFLOL!!!! Gayle, my DH set his to speak in German (a Fraulein :p) and it drives.me.crazy! I can't understand a thing it's saying. We set it for Italian once just for kicks and grins, as Beavs would say! :p

I'm buying a GPS for myself, finally! Any recommendations???

I'm looking at the Garmin Nuvi series (the 255W w/ 4.3" touchscreen, to be specific). Anybody have this series or model?
I have a Nuvi, and I love it!
I'd tried a TomTom and some other brand (Magellan?) before, but sent them back because I didn't like them.

It's worked great, EXCEPT it cannot deal with downtown Chicago. The tall buildings evidently cause the signal to bounce around, and the GPS thinks I'm back where I was 2 blocks previously.

Another thing I find annoying: whenever the unit recalculates the route (which it does quickly, except in mid Chicago), the voice sounds so annoyed and snooty, with an intonation (re CAL culating) as if she's rolling her eyes or wanting to say "I TOLD you to turn back there, you idiot!). I can't imagine why anyone would program it with that intonation.

I have a Nuvi, and I love it!
I'd tried a TomTom and some other brand (Magellan?) before, but sent them back because I didn't like them.

It's worked great, EXCEPT it cannot deal with downtown Chicago. The tall buildings evidently cause the signal to bounce around, and the GPS thinks I'm back where I was 2 blocks previously.

Another thing I find annoying: whenever the unit recalculates the route (which it does quickly, except in mid Chicago), the voice sounds so annoyed and snooty, with an intonation (re CAL culating) as if she's rolling her eyes or wanting to say "I TOLD you to turn back there, you idiot!). I can't imagine why anyone would program it with that intonation.

LOL...very funny:D I better not buy the one that will get annoyed with me. I'm bad at following directions when I drive and I don't need 2 kids and GPS system mad at me.

I have nuvi 370. (I also had a tomtom before that, and a very early model at least 4-5 years ago.) I chose nuvi 370 because of its text-to-speech feature (i.e. it says the street name) and because it has european map. if I didn't care about the europe map, I would have got nuvi 260 which is the most basic model with the text-to-speech feature--which I think is a crucial feature.

I don't know the model of DH's TomTom, but it also says the street names (but again, he has it set to speak in German and I have no clue WTH it's saying :p :D). Ours covers Europe and several countries on several other continents as well. DH uses it to drive around Germany, and we used it to drive from the airport in Brussels, Belgium to a little town in the Netherlands when we went to a Memorial Day service at the American Military cemetary in Maargraten. FUN! FUN! FUN!

I just returned my Garmin 250 back to Costco and got a Megallan one 1340? I had Megallan before. But after one year, the battery die. Then my husband went to Costco got Garmin 250. I don't like it at all. It won't give me the choice if I can just go shortest distance, free of toll way, or fastest time. It always lead me go to highway, if there is toll, it does not mind, kept getting me to the tollway. It must have some specific safety program?? The principal it gave the route was the destination had to end in your right hand side. It does not matter that there would be traffice light to let you safely turn left. Finally, during memorial weekend, we had to go to Rock Island, IL to my niece's graduation ceremony. It led us going back and forth thru the same bridge 3 times. It also did not recognize there was road construction in I80 and had to detour. We ended up spending over an hour back and forth between Iowa and IL state line. So my husband agreed with my dislike. I was able to return and got megallan 1340. It actually cost less. In Costco, after instant rebate, I paid $99 instead of original I paid for Garmin $129.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.