Any Cathe beginners?

Hi Gang

Quick check in:

Felt slumpy this week- a little hard to get up in the morning when it is so dark outside- I had a successful weigh in at WW on Thursday- lost another 0.8lbs which reinvigorated me to continue with my eating well & exercising. Friday, did 4day split lower intensity step in it's entirety, and Saturday did Low impact circuit- and noted that I had some strength & endurance losses over the pass 6 weeks, but did it anyway.

Sunday is usually a rest day for me, but I did do CoreMax1- because my mid section could use it!

I start back to my final year of grad school this week, not sure if I will be able to check in as much- I am hoping I don't lose my momentum like I did last year when school began- I regained everything I had lost over the summer, lost my fitness level, and gained a few extra pounds. I find that as I age (I'm 42) I don't lose it as easily, but gain it double quick, making it more important to continue with my pace.

Tomorrow is Labor day, I am going to start off the Fall with Step Pump & Jump- which is one of my favorites. I often tell myself it is okay to stop after the step is over, but then I keep going, then I have done the whole thing before I know it!

Thanks for reading my babble- have a great Labor (or Labour to my Canadian friends) Day!

Checking in with STS Disc 13 completed today (first workout of Mesocycle 2). I think I'm really going to like this Mesocycle! I also had a crazy amount of energy today so I added on Turbo Fire: Fire 30 Class. Felt awesome!! I think I need more cardio than 3x a week so I'm going to try to add some cardio on STS days - even if it only 10 minutes or so.

Bridget:
Looks like the Cathe app works great! Congratulations on the 0.8lb loss! You will find the strength and endurance will come back quickly too.

After a crazy busy week at work i have been enjoying an extended long weekend here. It has been very cool and lots of rain followed by periods of sun. Feels more like Thanksgiving weekend than Labour day!

I took off Friday and spent the afternoon at one of my brother's. He was at work but i had lunch with my SIL and got to spend time playing with my three nephews ages 4, 6, and 9. I took the oldest one out to pick out a belated birthday gift since they were away for his birthday. He picked out a game for his DS and a transformer. We also got some pop rocks for his brothers and they were a hit, especially with the little one. When we got back to the house we played wii with his brothers.

Saturday was busy. I taught yoga in the morning. In the afternoon i went to check out furniture. I need a new couch so we went to La-z-boy to try out some recliners. They are so comfy! I think i know what i want so i have to save up some $$$.

After that i decided to go to "Little India". In Toronto there are certain ethnic regions. Gerrard St is where you find Indian stores and restaurants. I wanted to replace a yoga book that i lost so I went to a little shop i know that sells all sorts of hindu things and books from India that aren't available everywhere. I got my book and stocked up on some incense as well.:)

On the way home i stopped at a middle eastern grocery store i've been meaning to check out. I'm glad i did! I bought fresh dates from Iran and Haloumi cheese imported from Cyprus (which is where my Dad was from). They have an amazing bakery with all sorts of cakes, cookies, baklava, and other middle eastern treats. I will definitely be returning there!

I stayed home in the evening. I did some yoga and then watched a movie.

Yesterday, I stayed home. I did some cleaning, reading, and did Shiva Rea's flow yoga for beginners. I decided to switch up the order and did the relaxing flow after the vinyasa on the beach which i liked better than the order they appear on the DVD.

Enjoying my last day off before work tomorrow.

Bridget: It's hard to check-in when you are busy but maybe just try and check-in weekly or something so you keep up your motivation while in school.

Last edited:
What an awesome day today!

I did Step Pump Jump this morning- which is a long one, but since I had off today I went with it- modifying wherever needed- for sure. I saw on Cathe's September rotation that the first workout on the first day was Step Pump Jump- so I decided to do the rotation- modifying, of course, wherever needed.

My husband was waterskiing on Long Island Sound with friends. I usually don't go with them, I was planning on dropping off my daughter to go tubing- to be dragged around on a tube by the boat- when they talked me into staying- and tubing with them. I had never gone, and usually find excuses not to go- I wore my husband's wetsuit (too big!) and had a blast!!! What a beautiful day- and we were home by 1pm!

Elle- The weather here in Southeast CT has been gorgeous! Hurricane Earl brushed us by on Friday- didn't even turn over a lawn chair- and left us with a sunny dry gorgeous weekend! There is a Lebanese restaurant near us that also has fabulous food, and is so fresh & healthy- may need a date night there soon.

Nancy- I am loving reading about your progress with STS- especially since you started this thread last March- you've come a long way baby! I cannot imagine needing more than 3x a week of cardio

Monday i did Shiva Rea's Yogini Vinyasa Flow Yoga for Women (could the title be any longer?:p). I'm not sure if i like this one yet. It may be that i just need to get familiar with the routine but she does some "creative movement" stuff that i'm not used to. In one of the segments the music is the same as the Beginner Flow yoga DVD. I like the music but i was suprised she would use the same track on a different DVD. In any case i never feel like I get a good workout the first time i do a new DVD.

Yesterday i did my own quiet practice. I felt great and was able to keep my mind focused when i was holding the asanas.

Today i brought a mat and my yoga clothes to work. I'm planning on using the gym downstairs when i'm finished work to do my yoga. I did that last week and it was like i had my own private studio. I had the place to myself and it's actually pretty nice down there. There is a whole section away from the machines and weights that was perfect for me to practice. The floor is a laminate wood and there are mirrors which was really weird for me since i never practice in front of mirrors.

I weighed in at WW and was happy to have lost 0.6lbs since i was worried that i may have gained.

Completed my planned yoga practice in the gym at my office. I had the place to myself again and i'm planning on practicing there again after work today.

Kind of quiet here lately. Hopefully everyone is just too busy but still working out.:)

I don't feel so bad

Hey all wow good to see that I am not the only one restarting as a beginner. I too fell off and starting back up again. I was looking at the Workout plan and was wondering when it says to do The Basic Step with lower body weights add-on, which dvd is that on? I bought my set years ago at Target.

The way it is set up on my DVDs is slightly different then what is advertised on here. Basic step is on the Total Cardio Step DVD (along with Low Impact Step and Body Fusion). Total Body Sculpt, Upper & Lower Body Sculpting, and Stability Ball Abs are on the Total Muscle Sculpting DVD, and all the stretch exercises are on the Total Body Stretching DVD.

Well I hope I don't fall off again because I really need this, nothing else is really working for me. Thank you all for your help and advice!
Ana

Sorry for not checking in the past few days...so busy lately with work and everything!

Checking in with STS Disc 14 and 15 completed this week so my first week of Mesocycle 2 is finished! I'm really loving Meso 2 so far. There are longer breaks (which is great because sometimes I need that time to recover and get the equipment out for the next one) and there isn't as many exercises like Meso 1. It's definitely my favourite one so far. And I have a serious case of DOMS after Disc 14 (legs). I was really surprised because I wasn't too sore the next morning but by mid-afternoon, I could barely walk or move! I skipped my workout that day because there was no way...every muscle in the lower body was sore and screaming. I still have a bit of soreness today but was OK to do the back & biceps workout. I wonder if I will ever be able to do a Cathe leg workout without serious DOMS...lol. Anyway, lesson learned and rest days always need to follow the leg workout day. :)

Elle:
It sounds like you had a great extended long weekend! I had an extra day off as well and work ended a few hours early on the Friday which was even better. It was hard to go back to work the past two days.

Congratulations on the 0.6lb loss!

I have Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti...forgot all about it until recently when I was going through my DVDs. I have never tried it...have you tried that one?

Bridget:
Awesome job with Step Pump Jump and having a blast tubing with everyone! Heehee...I guess I should rephrase that...I don't think I need more than 3 days of cardio. LOL It would probably help but I might stick with the 3 alternating days since it just seems to work out better that way.

Ana:
Welcome! The workouts are on the Basic Step & Body Fusion DVD listed here. On that DVD, there are "Upper Body" and "Lower Body" workouts along with the Basic Step and Body Fusion workouts. With what you have described, it sounds like the Lower Body Sculpting one is the lower body workout they are talking about. So you would do Basic Step and then do Lower Body Sculpting but only do the parts in the workout that use weights. Hope that helps!

Checking in with my yoga practice completed at the gym in my office building. The place was empty so that's definitely a good place to practice and then when i get home i can relax.

My mind was a little distracted and i actually fell out of headstand. That got my attention and i was able to focus after that.:p

Phoenix: I JUST ordered Yoga Shakti this week. I'm waiting for it to arrive (hopefully today?). It seems like all the reviews on amazon confirm that is probably one of her best workouts. Let me know how you like it if you get around to trying it. Great job on all your hard work with STS! Cathe's leg workouts are a killer for sure. I have Butts & Gutts and those firewalkers are tough!

Ana: Welcome! We've had different members come and go here but everyone is very motivating and encouraging so it should really help you get back on track. Maybe your workouts don't have the add-ons if they are older? My DVD has Basic Step and Body Fusion with three add-ons: Upper body, Lower Body, and Stability Ball abs. In Catrhe's beginner rotation she will have you do Basic Step and then add on one of the toning add-ons or do just the add-ons. She uses tubing in the add-ons which i wasn't a big fan of so i just subbed in dumbells where i could. Sounds similar to what you have on your Total Muscle Sculpting DVD so i would use those. Keep us updated on your progress.:)

Checking in with STS Disc 16 finished! Woohoo...no energy left but that's all good. So feeling it already too.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend...where does the time go??? Can't believe it's already Sunday.

Ana:
If you click on a person's name, it takes you to their page and under the "Workout Friends" section on the right hand side, there should be a link to befriend that person. I just went to your page and added you so you should be receiving a friend request from me. :)

Checking in with Shiva Rea's Yogini. Today i used the matrix and did the healing meditation, empowerment flow, and Savasana.

Ana: I sent you a friend request too so you should see that you have two private messages from Phoenix and me. ;)

Hi all! It has been several weeks since I have checked in. I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts I have missed, so I will plan on doing that this evening when I get home from work. I've been keeping up with my lunch walks/jogs every day and have even completed two a days on several of the really nice days we've had. I think I may be over-doing it though as I am beginning to experience some shin splints and pain in my right hamstring so I think I will do my walks/jogs without any weights for a while to see if I can work through the discomfort.

I finally got enough guts to sign up for a Yoga class, but it doesn't start until November. I figured you all talk about how much you enjoy the yoga so I borrowed a beginner's book and thought the best way to indoctrinate myself to it was to take a class. I'm actually looking forward to it and I am hoping it will help me to stretch out my muscles and give me some additional balance in my life (perhaps something I should have started a lot sooner!) :eek:

I see we have a new friend - welcome Ana, I hope you find as much motivation and inspiration from everyone here as I have! Well, I will check in later tonight once I have read everything I have missed. Hope everyone had a great Labor Day and hope the rest of the week flies by.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

This week is driving me nuts! This is my 5th week of Meso #1 and I can't stand being off! .. I can't wait till Monday too start Meso # 2. :D

Just ordered Hits and STS Abs .. so pumped can't wait for them to get here!

Hope everyone is doing great! ... going out to finish my weed pulling ughh thats never ending:(

Finished reading all of the posts I missed out on over the past couple of weeks. Sounds like everyone is doing GREAT with their workouts and either losing weight, improving on strength and/or seeing a difference in their clothing. Has anyone pre-ordered any of the new DVD's? I was reading about them and several of them look pretty interesting, but I can't find a whole lot on them and apparently, they just finished taping them this week so there aren't any clips that I am aware of yet to be able see whether they are something I want to invest in--any suggestions and/or comments?

Has anyone tried kettlebells? I noticed on Workout Manager, it has been added to the choices for workouts, unless it has always been there and I just noticed it after doing some reading about it. Wondering if it would be something to do in place of a weight workout, although, I have slouched off on doing anything but cardio since it has been so nice out these past couple of months. I REALLY need to get my ass in gear and start doing some weights and ab routines to try to prepare myself for my yoga class in November.

Hope everyone had a great day and tomorrow is the mid-way point for the weekend - how sad to live my life ALWAYS looking for the next weekend! :D

Checking in with my own yoga practice completed yesterday at the gym in my office. :D

On Monday i did the following segments from Shiva Rea's yogini: Flow of Love (27 minutes), Flow of Beauty (16 minutes), savasana (3 minutes). I'm liking this DVD more now that i've used it a few times.

Ketros: Enjoy your new workouts when you get them!

Jennifer: Starting a yoga class is the best way to begin. I hope you like it. As for only doing cardio for the last few months, if that's what you have felt like doing then i don't see anything wrong with that. Lately, all i have wanted to do is yoga, and that's what i've been doing. i used to feel guilty and try and force myself to fit in yoga, weights, and cardio and i would end up feeling overwhelmed, burnt out, or just not motivated to continue. I have tried to change my way of thinking lately and actually listen to myself for a change instead of doing what i think i "should" be doing. I'm enjoying doing yoga right now and I will definitely add in other workouts or cardio whenever i feel like it. Look how far you have come from walking to jogging with weights on a consistent basis.;)

Hi all! It has been several weeks since I have checked in. I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts I have missed, so I will plan on doing that this evening when I get home from work. I've been keeping up with my lunch walks/jogs every day and have even completed two a days on several of the really nice days we've had. I think I may be over-doing it though as I am beginning to experience some shin splints and pain in my right hamstring so I think I will do my walks/jogs without any weights for a while to see if I can work through the discomfort.

I finally got enough guts to sign up for a Yoga class, but it doesn't start until November. I figured you all talk about how much you enjoy the yoga so I borrowed a beginner's book and thought the best way to indoctrinate myself to it was to take a class. I'm actually looking forward to it and I am hoping it will help me to stretch out my muscles and give me some additional balance in my life (perhaps something I should have started a lot sooner!) :eek:

I see we have a new friend - welcome Ana, I hope you find as much motivation and inspiration from everyone here as I have! Well, I will check in later tonight once I have read everything I have missed. Hope everyone had a great Labor Day and hope the rest of the week flies by.
Hi and thank you for the welcome. I need to get on here more often and check-in. Ha ha

Checking in with Shiva Rea's Yogini. Today i used the matrix and did the healing meditation, empowerment flow, and Savasana.

Ana: I sent you a friend request too so you should see that you have two private messages from Phoenix and me. ;)
Thank you both again. :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.