antidepressants

kariev

Cathlete
so i'm finally seeing my doc next wed to discuss how i've been feeling down for the past 3 yrs. i've been hesitant about seeking help thinking it was just me and i could make myself happy but i can't take it anymore. i don't have fun doing ANYTHING anymore, i don't sleep b/c i can't turn my brain off, i always just feel sad and i'm never happy. its causing a lot of stress in my relationship with my husband. So my question is, how many of you take antidepressants and how did it change your life? did you have any side affects? i'm really worried about weight gain and a decrease in sex drive. i just can't go on with my life anymore the way i'm feeling. i want to enjoy life. right now i just don't have motivation to do anything and everything feels like it takes so much effort to do.

I have no personal experience with this, but I wanted to jump in and give you a ((hug)). <3 My niece is taking an antidepressant ~ I don't know what kind though ~ and she says it's like the "fog has lifted."

so i'm finally seeing my doc next wed to discuss how i've been feeling down for the past 3 yrs. i've been hesitant about seeking help thinking it was just me and i could make myself happy but i can't take it anymore. i don't have fun doing ANYTHING anymore, i don't sleep b/c i can't turn my brain off, i always just feel sad and i'm never happy. its causing a lot of stress in my relationship with my husband. So my question is, how many of you take antidepressants and how did it change your life? did you have any side affects? i'm really worried about weight gain and a decrease in sex drive. i just can't go on with my life anymore the way i'm feeling. i want to enjoy life. right now i just don't have motivation to do anything and everything feels like it takes so much effort to do.

Good move on seeing a doctor, you don't have to suffer needlessly. I have been on Sertraline (formerly zoloft) for almost 10 years, and it has helped me immensly. It's not a miracle working drug though, the fact that you're a member of Cathe Nation suggests you work out, which is a great way to alleviate symptoms of depression. I had no problems with side effects with sertraline. I simply listened very carefully to my doctor's advice and made some necessary changes..in my case, I was self-medicating with alcohol and not working out at all when I was at my lowest.

You need to get past the notion that seeking help in some ways makes you feel less of a person, actually, it's quite the opposite. It takes a strong person to admit they're in pain, and that they need help. My mental health has never been as good as it is now, because I was willing to take the first step and admit I was hurting, and it was out of my control.

If you need someone to just B.S. with...don't hesitate to PM me...I know what it feels like, I also know how much better you can and will feel when you take action. If you had a broken leg..wouldn't you seek medical help ASAP?? This is no different..geting past the stigma that it is different is clearing a huge hurdle, which you've done.

I'm here, if you need an ear!

they have a variety of medications that will not affect your weight or sex drive, just let your doctor know that these issues concern you. some other advice: have a blood test for your thyroid, sometimes this contributes to depression. my sister is hypothyroid and her mood and energy level is greatly affected by this disorder. try your best to stay away from sweets. sugar can wildly affect mood. if you have a snack that's heavy on the sugar, drink a protein shake with it. try your best to get enough protein, whole grain, fruits, and vegetables. there are books that have been put out that address diet and depression. in the morning, when the sun is out, go out for 15 minutes and take a walk. i forgot what this does, but my doctor once told me this is beneficial for depression. continue to exercise, but don't overdo it...this can also create a depression.

the medication should alleviate the sadness and hopelessness you feel, and you should have more energy, if properly medicated. it will take some time to get the proper dosage so have patience. what it will not do is solve the problem which is bringing on the sadness, that you have to figure out yourself with your doctor. group therapy is very beneficial. finally, i had a parent who has been depressed his entire life and being afraid to go for help, our entire family suffered. please don't let this happen to you, make sure you go to your appt. i hope this helps

I took Lexapro for awhile and it worked great. The side effects were minor and very easy to live with compared to the anxiety/depression. I did not gain weight from it, and trust me, I gain very easily. I put off getting help for a long time because of fear of gaining alot of weight. I wish I had not waited so long to get help. My main problem however was anxiety, not so much depression.

A friend of mine had symptoms very similar to yours and she felt great taking Wellbutrin. No weight gain, actually increased her sex drive and gave her plenty of motivation and lifted her depression.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

I take a few medications for anxiety/depression/mood swings and I am a huge fan of doing so if you need to. Sometimes these things are situational/temporary and sometimes it is a permanent chemical imbalance in the brain and either way, meds can help you. Good for you for taking this step!

thank you ladies so much for the support! i'm eager to speak with my doctor and get my life back to where it needs to be. i will keep you all posted

I had problems with depression as far back as early childhood, which leads me to believe that, for me at least, it is a chemical imbalance. I didn't seek help until my own son began experiencing the same symptoms. I knew what he'd be going through and I couldn't bear the thought. That gave me the courage to get treatment for my own depression as well.

Fortunately, we found the right medication after just a few tries, and, in our cases, it really was truly miraculous. It even made a huge difference in my socially crippling shyness.

My son stayed on the medication from age four or five (yes, astonishingly young, I know, but it was very severe) to age fifteen. We were able to wean him off of it at that time, and (crossing fingers) he has never needed it since. (Another miracle)

I think because I was older and my brain had already formed and made connections and learned patterns, I continue to need the medication, but it continues to control my depression as long as I take it. I still have mild depression on occasion, of course, but it is temporary and normal and based on life circumstances, not that overwhelming, desolate, black hole of hopelessness and despair I lived in most of my life.

I am a big fan of antidepressants in the right circumstances. I don't think they're to be given lightly, and I do believe some depression is necessary and normal and even required if we are to develop into sympathetic, caring, well-rounded adults. Pain and sadness are an important part of life, and it is important that everyone experience them.

But, when pain and sadness take over a life, then I become a huge fan. It sounds to me like that is what has happened to you. I hope you feel better soon.

Shari

I recently started taking something for anxiety/depression after 3 months of constant anxiety and crying all the time due to some serious health issues. I either couldn't physically get out of bed or I just didn't feel like doing anything. It's a horrible feeling. I resisted for a while because I thought I could get through it, but my friends and family urged me to get some help and I'm so glad I did. After a few days I felt SO much better, even though my doc told me it might take a few weeks. After crying everyday for 3 months...It's been almost two weeks since I've had a breakdown--miracle!! I'm hoping that I don't have to be on it for more than a few months, but it's been a lifesaver for me right now and I've noticed minimal side effects that I can live with. :) There's help, definitely talk to your doctor about it, you CAN feel better!

Sandra

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am on an antidepressant, and let me tell you - it was one of the best things I ever did for myself! Life is so much better now, and if I would have known that it would have been that simple to feel this much better, I would have went on them years ago. For me, I actually LOST weight on mine, and there have been only minor sexual side effects. Don't be afraid - I was for years, and there was no need to be. Hope you feel better soon.:)

i'm actually excited to go see the doc next week. i wish it was tomorrow b/c i'm so tired of feeling this way. its just getting so bad and its affecting everyone around me. this thread has helped me a lot.

I took Zoloft, only 25 mgs each night, for about a year. I can tell you that now that I'm not taking it, I can so much different- in a good way. It made me so sick and dizzy going off of even that small amount. It really freaked me out that it had such a dramatic effect when going off of it.

That being said, it did help me get through a very difficult period in my life (suddenly losing two people and a move from my hometown). When I realized that I was through those times, I wanted to get off of it asap, but that's just me.

I thought I would jump in to comment about anti-depressants and my recent experience.

Last summer I was feeling really down, irritable, anxious, you name it. I was definitely depressed. My doctor put me on Cymbalta which worked wonderfully to lift my mood and helped me get through a major life change. My life has subsequently changed and I don't have the stressors that I had then so I decided to go off of it.

Oh my gosh... I went through four months of trying to get off that medication! It was really terrible. I had motion sickness, constant nausea and never thought I would be able to stop taking it! The constant feeling sick was making me depressed all over again and I kept thinking I would just go back on it but that was defeating my purpose of going off of it. It was so awful. I finally am now off of it and have been fine. What I learned through the process was that anti-depressant medications that work immediately are not easy to quit taking. They require cycling down as most people experience significant withdrawals. I found websites with forums where people were discussing their experiences while trying to stop taking Cymbalta, for example. Medications that take some time to build up in your system are more easily discontinued should you decide to stop taking it for any reason. I recommend researching whatever medication your doctor recommends before taking it.

Several years ago I took Paxil and Zoloft (not simultaneously) and didn't like how I felt on either. I felt really blah. My libido crashed, and when I actually did feel like having sex, I absolutely could not have an orgasm. That was really depressing.

It turns out that I actually had adhd, which was causing my depression, and now I take Adderall, which is working great for me and has changed my life for the better.

well i just got back from the doc and it really felt good to seek help and get things off my chest about how i have been feeling. She said that all my symptoms are classic signs of depression and has prescribed me zoloft. She was going to put me on welbutrin but i'm on a seizure med so they conflice with each other. I will take this as recommended and see how i feel in 4 weeks. Thanks again for all your support and info.

I thought I would jump in to comment about anti-depressants and my recent experience.

Last summer I was feeling really down, irritable, anxious, you name it. I was definitely depressed. My doctor put me on Cymbalta which worked wonderfully to lift my mood and helped me get through a major life change. My life has subsequently changed and I don't have the stressors that I had then so I decided to go off of it.

Oh my gosh... I went through four months of trying to get off that medication! It was really terrible. I had motion sickness, constant nausea and never thought I would be able to stop taking it! The constant feeling sick was making me depressed all over again and I kept thinking I would just go back on it but that was defeating my purpose of going off of it. It was so awful. I finally am now off of it and have been fine. What I learned through the process was that anti-depressant medications that work immediately are not easy to quit taking. They require cycling down as most people experience significant withdrawals. I found websites with forums where people were discussing their experiences while trying to stop taking Cymbalta, for example. Medications that take some time to build up in your system are more easily discontinued should you decide to stop taking it for any reason. I recommend researching whatever medication your doctor recommends before taking it.

OH my didn't your Dr. tell you how to get off the medication? I got all sorts of warnings on my Rx that this is a medication you just can't stop taking and that you need to talk to your Dr. if you decide to quit. I am so sad you had to go through that but I'm glad everything turned out okay. I also agree that if anyone is interested in any type of medication to always speak up with your Dr. and not to feel bad about being on medication. If you need glasses you get them to help you see, . . if you need medication to get through the day then take the medication. You always have to consider the pro's and the con's.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.