Afterburn: Two Thumbs Up!

I did AfterBurn last night. My outer thighs are talking to me today... The only time I didn't think I was going to make it was during the Spider Man circuit, for some reason. But, I kept saying to myself what Cathe said, "Train like a warrior, " & I hit the pause button to catch my breath here & there. I was determined to get through it, since Cathe rated it the hardest. It's all downhill from this one, right? LOL I think "Train like a warrior" is my new mantra.;)

I can really tell I am going to love this new series. I tried Afterburn today, it took everything I had. I love how Cathe incorporates different styles of training and keeps me interested and motivated. She is great!:eek:

I've had my set since Monday afternoon (HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?).

Since, I have completed the main programs for: Athletic Training, Cardio Supersets, LIC and today, oy, today, I did Afterburn. Maybe I should say Afterburn did me?

Seriously, I dunno? Maybe I was pooped from the previous days workouts but, what-thuh? I was wearing my HRM and found I was consistently up in the mid 170's (I'm just shy of 43 yrs old, @122lbs, 5 foot nothing tall, fyi). I would complete a cycle (both sets) and have to pause the dvd to bring my heart rate back down. I waited (paused the dvd, panted) until I was back down in my 140's and then back at it. Heart rate would go right back up; by the end of the second round of each cycle, I was back up in the 170's. It was insane. I really, really don't know how they managed to make it all the way through at such an intensity. I am weak. They are....inhuman.

That being said, maybe a 170 heart rate is totally normal? I would be super interested to hear what you guys find.

I will go on out there and say, thus far: Worth. Every. Stinkin'. Penny.

After Burn Express Single Intervals (incomplete?)

Just completed the Express Single workout, what great fun & it went by so quick.

However, I felt a little lopsided & unbalanced since there was only one round of lunge kicks & no back exercises.

Just completed the Express Single workout, what great fun & it went by so quick.

However, I felt a little lopsided & unbalanced since there was only one round of lunge kicks & no back exercises.

I did Bonus Afterburn, which is the main workout plus the Express -- and I did notice on the express portion that only one side of lunge kicks and staggard push ups was done. I just chaptered back and added on the other side. Don't want more DOMS in one glute than the other ;) I'm happy to say I got nice DOMS in both glutes!

I did Bonus Afterburn, which is the main workout plus the Express -- and I did notice on the express portion that only one side of lunge kicks and staggard push ups was done. I just chaptered back and added on the other side. Don't want more DOMS in one glute than the other ;) I'm happy to say I got nice DOMS in both glutes!

Could you further explain what this premix is? The main workout, "plus express". Is there Bonus footage that is not in the MAIN PLAY WORKOUT, but incorporated into the Premixes? I made an attempt to hunt down the Premix descriptions for Afterburn, but could not find it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

btw, I did the main workout today and loved it! I'm already beginning to feel the onset of DOMS.

Thanks,
sharon

Could you further explain what this premix is? The main workout, "plus express". Is there Bonus footage that is not in the MAIN PLAY WORKOUT, but incorporated into the Premixes? I made an attempt to hunt down the Premix descriptions for Afterburn, but could not find it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

btw, I did the main workout today and loved it! I'm already beginning to feel the onset of DOMS.

Thanks,
sharon

The Bonus Afterburn premix is all of the main workout (that is, all 10 intervals, each done twice) plus each interval again done only once. There is no extra footage. So, it's basically 1 1/2 Afterburns -- if you love the main workout, you'll really love the bonus!

The Bonus Afterburn premix is all of the main workout (that is, all 10 intervals, each done twice) plus each interval again done only once. There is no extra footage. So, it's basically 1 1/2 Afterburns -- if you love the main workout, you'll really love the bonus!

faint.gif

OMgosh!

I recently got promoted, and with all the craziness at work, my workouts got lost in the shuffle for the past few months. I just started back in last week with Cathe's 4-day Split.

I was so excited yesterday to find them in my mailbox, that I just opened it up and popped the first one in - Afterburn. WOW! I can't believe I actually made it through (with modifications of course). I think it's one of the hardest workouts I've ever done. When I was in the middle of it, pacing a little, holding my side, trying to catch my breath, my son came in and said, "Mom!! Why are you so red??" I told him that Cathe was kicking my butt!

Literally! Today, the soreness has really kicked in - glutes and thighs mainly. Holy crap! I can't wait to do the rest of the workouts! Cathe, you nailed it!

I've had my set since Monday afternoon (HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?).

Since, I have completed the main programs for: Athletic Training, Cardio Supersets, LIC and today, oy, today, I did Afterburn. Maybe I should say Afterburn did me?

Seriously, I dunno? Maybe I was pooped from the previous days workouts but, what-thuh? I was wearing my HRM and found I was consistently up in the mid 170's (I'm just shy of 43 yrs old, @122lbs, 5 foot nothing tall, fyi). I would complete a cycle (both sets) and have to pause the dvd to bring my heart rate back down. I waited (paused the dvd, panted) until I was back down in my 140's and then back at it. Heart rate would go right back up; by the end of the second round of each cycle, I was back up in the 170's. It was insane. I really, really don't know how they managed to make it all the way through at such an intensity. I am weak. They are....inhuman.

That being said, maybe a 170 heart rate is totally normal? I would be super interested to hear what you guys find.

I will go on out there and say, thus far: Worth. Every. Stinkin'. Penny.

My HRM was consistently in the 160-170 range as well, I am used to getting it that high so I didn't need to pause the w/o. It is two days later and my glutes and legs are still talking to me, I think today will be a rest dAY!! I also made the mistake of doing cardio supersets yesterday, not a good one to try after "afterburn"!!!

I second those emotions!! I did Afterburn today (Friday) cuz I like to go out with a Bang for the weekend. I think I went out with a fizzzzzle. I had to keep pausing my dvd too many times, but I muddled through it. Maybe since I've done 4 workouts now in a row, starting with Low Impact Circuit, Slide and Glide, Trisets Upper Body Only (this was my leg rest day :)) then did Afterburn today. Definitely huffing and puffing!!

Not only that but I'm currently finishing up Meso Cycle II!! My only complaint is my weight isnt coming off! What the heck?? Not giving up though. :)

Don't give up Cheryl! Your appetite will go up a bit with all of the extra activity so be sure to have healthy 150 calorie snacks ready to go throughout the day between meals. Up your water, do your stretching, get your rest, and you should see a shift within the next 10 days.

1/2 cup of cut up fruit

fresh veggies dipped in plain yogurt

Whole grain rice cake and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter

A small handful of mixed almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts and an apple

A small protein shake

to give you a few ideas....

Don't give up Cheryl! Your appetite will go up a bit with all of the extra activity so be sure to have healthy 150 calorie snacks ready to go throughout the day between meals. Up your water, do your stretching, get your rest, and you should see a shift within the next 10 days.

1/2 cup of cut up fruit

fresh veggies dipped in plain yogurt

Whole grain rice cake and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter

A small handful of mixed almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts and an apple

A small protein shake

to give you a few ideas....
Cathe - thanks for the advice. I figured maybe my body's fighting all my activity...I've been doing some double workouts (am/pm) to try to get this weight gain off (I think I usually gain when I do the Meso cycle - does this seem right?)

I definitely have my healthy snacks along the day. I'll just keep working it - doing the Cycle Max tomorrow!

By the way, my shipment arrived very quickly (I do the preorder immediately when offered). I found the cycle max wasn't included even though the invoice said it was the deluxe order. I emailed SNM right away and they immediately answered me AND shipped it out. Even my husband was impressed! Thanks to you and everyone for being such a quality organization!!

I read so many good things about afterburn can't wait to do it. Did LIC & 5k race today, tomorrow is rest day then Monday is Afterburn!

Afterburn yikes!

I tried this workout today, and it was a killer. It amazes me how intense the cardio is on these. Very challenging but a lot of fun. I didn't mind the stalling at all that Cathe talked about! I also liked the cue during the slide n glide jacks "don't let yourself travel backwards or you'll end up in the kitchen!"
I think this workout is my favorite so far.

Loved, loved, loved Afterburn. So much fun! I am so sore, in a good way, that I had to take today off!

I just completed Afterburn for the first time. And it was tough for me due to my recent shoulder/arm break 4 months ago (everyone who reads these forums will be sick of me mentioning it by now...and rightly so:p:))

However, I did it...I was determined to do it and did heavy modifications. I was very careful with the planking and modified that too, quite heavily. In fact for the last plank-type spider man exercises, I had to do those standing up because my shoulder was plain wore out. However, it worked and I was challenged. I will continue to work up to it.

But I am definitely testimony that if a person wants to do it, they can modify, modify, modify and just DO it!

Oh...and it was a great workout...!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.