Advice/thoughts on my rotation and measurements

kirsten777

Cathlete
I need some advice on my current rotation that I am starting for the month of July. I still need to lose 93 lbs - and have lost 31.6 lbs to date with clean-eating and Cathe's workouts. :D

This is what I have been thinking of doing, but wanted to make sure that it is in line with my goals of losing weight and building strength:

M, W, F - IMAX 3

T, TH, Sa - Gym Styles - Shoulders, back and biceps/Gym Styles - chest and triceps (alternating weeks)

Sa/Su - some form of outdoor cardio such as walking, hiking, ect.

I also had a question about my measurements. All my measurements went down 1 inch except my neck, which stayed the same, my calf which went down 1/2 an inch, and my biceps which went UP an inch. Does that make sense? For the last couple of months I have mostly been doing Low Max, Low Impact Circuit, IMAX 3, and/or Body Max 2 (M, W, F has been either Low Impact Circuit or Body Max 2, and T, TH have either been Low Max or IMAX 3.) I'm pretty sure I'm not doing enough bicep work that I would have increased that muscle by a whole inch;)

Anyway, thanks for any advice - I really appreciate it!
Happy 4th!!
Kirsten

I'm no expert, but it's possible it's just "operator" error. Not an error in the literal sense, but when we measure, we don't always measure at the exact same spot as the time before or maybe you were flexing a bit this time? :confused:

Just a possibility and a guess as I don't know if you are a measurer like me - my DH does it and I just tell him to find the center or widest point of the muscle or if you're more detailed and have measured out exactly how far from one point to measure at so you are in the same place every time. In that case, maybe you HAVE built a bit in your biceps. All that arm movement during aerobic segments contracts the muscles and if you do it with some concentration, you're conditioning at the same time.

Again, just a guess! :eek:

Tricia

Thanks Tricia. After I posted, I wondered about if I had measured in the same spot. Though, short of tatooing a line on my arm, I may just have to be as "close" as possible. I will try to remember to do at the widest point next month.

Kirsten, Congratulations on the wonderful progress you have made. Your rotation plan sounds great to me. Good luck!

Vrinda

Great progress Kirsten! I'm impressed.

Here's my 2 cents (more personal opinion than advice so take it or leave it :) ).

Doing the same interval vid 3 times a week for a whole month would be too repetitive for me. I started out doing Step Heat every day for a month, but now that I have more vids, I like the variety. I also like to include one longer, steady-state cardio per week. Though I guess your weekend walks/hikes may do that.

I get the best upper body strength gains by working each muscle group twice a week. So I do one split routine (like Gym Styles, Pure Strength, etc) and one complete upper body body (Pyramids, CTX Upper body split, Body Max, etc.) per week.

On the measurements, there's the variability of measuring in the same spot as others have mentioned but also building muscle and losing fat at the same time could result in a net decrease - a smaller, stronger arm!

Sheila

Thanks Vrinda!

That's a really good point Sheila. Maybe I should alternate my M,W,F cardio weeks also - I'm a little low on dvd's at the moment, and it didn't help that I left my favorite disk from 4DS, the one with the low impact, in a dvd player I no longer have! Anyway, I think I will do alternate weeks with IMAX 3, and Low Max. I can't wait to buy more dvd's!!:D

Thanks Vrinda!

That's a really good point Sheila. Maybe I should alternate my M,W,F cardio weeks also - I'm a little low on dvd's at the moment, and it didn't help that I left my favorite disk from 4DS, the one with the low impact, in a dvd player I no longer have! Anyway, I think I will do alternate weeks with IMAX 3, and Low Max. I can't wait to buy more dvd's!!:D

Hi, Kirsten! I agree with Sheila that mixing up the cardio is as important as getting it in. Also, I noticed from your original plan that there is no resistance work for the legs scheduled in. I have learned over time with my own physique that leg resistance work is very, very important not only for overall strength and health but also as a means of promoting long-term fat loss, which appears to be one of your primary goals.

I would make sure to do the Gym Styles legs workout at least once every two weeks, and perhaps on the alternate weeks you can do Body Max 2's Power Circuit segment or one of the BMax2 premixes that incorporates the leg work with barbell or handweights. When you do Gym Styles Legs (if you have it; if not, another workout that has defined leg resistance work), try to schedule it to NOT be on a day consecutive with a cardio workout that is interval-intensive.

JMHO -

A-Jock

Just wanted to agree with the previous comments about measuring. I've been taking my measurements regularly over the last year or so, and found that - like your weight - any one measurement isn't all that useful. You have to watch your trend over time. And the bicep is a really hard measurement to take (I'm assumng you do it yourself). As for the neck, I've found it doesn't change all that dramatically. I don't have the info here in front of me so I'm not sure, but I think mine's only gone down a half inch or so over the last 50 lbs.

I would not do any one interval workout more than two times per week. That seems like it will be awfully harsh on your joints. Also, do you have a day off? It is really important that you don't burn out. A day off can help prevent injury.

I wouldn't worry about your neck not coming down an inch. Or the bicep going up an inch. I do put on upper body muscle easily. But, I don't suppose that you really did go up an inch. Do you have a friend to help you measure? Its really hard to measure yourself.

My neck has only in the past 5 pounds started to come down. Now, I have a collar bone! Thats so exciting! I haven't seen that bone in 10 years! I started at 256 and am down to 181. So, I really understand your journey.

Hi, Kirsten! I agree with Sheila that mixing up the cardio is as important as getting it in. Also, I noticed from your original plan that there is no resistance work for the legs scheduled in. I have learned over time with my own physique that leg resistance work is very, very important not only for overall strength and health but also as a means of promoting long-term fat loss, which appears to be one of your primary goals.

I would make sure to do the Gym Styles legs workout at least once every two weeks, and perhaps on the alternate weeks you can do Body Max 2's Power Circuit segment or one of the BMax2 premixes that incorporates the leg work with barbell or handweights. When you do Gym Styles Legs (if you have it; if not, another workout that has defined leg resistance work), try to schedule it to NOT be on a day consecutive with a cardio workout that is interval-intensive.

JMHO -

A-Jock

Thank you! For some reason I was thinking I didn't need to worry about my legs since I am doing cardio - but I guess it really isn't the same thing. I don't have the Gym Styles legs, but I do have the 4DS with the heavy legs that I can do until I can afford to get more DVD's.

I would not do any one interval workout more than two times per week. That seems like it will be awfully harsh on your joints. Also, do you have a day off? It is really important that you don't burn out. A day off can help prevent injury.

I wouldn't worry about your neck not coming down an inch. Or the bicep going up an inch. I do put on upper body muscle easily. But, I don't suppose that you really did go up an inch. Do you have a friend to help you measure? Its really hard to measure yourself.

My neck has only in the past 5 pounds started to come down. Now, I have a collar bone! Thats so exciting! I haven't seen that bone in 10 years! I started at 256 and am down to 181. So, I really understand your journey.

Thanks Rapid Breath! I realized that when I read your post, you are so right about not doing interval workouts more than twice a week, I have been having to take Friday's off because my legs are so exhausted. Today, I just did Gym Styles biceps, shoulders, and back and went for a half hour moderate pace walk (I was with my dogs, so it was moderate pace when we were actually walking! ;)) So I think I will definitely revamp my rotation.

Congratulations on your weight loss!! That is so awesome and very inspiring. I started at 255, and it is definitely a journey! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.