Advice on Kettlebell Training

Ann Reynolds

Hi everyone,

I think i've come to the right place for advice on Kettlebell training.

I've never lifted or ever done any kettlebell training in my life so I would be a complete novice where that's concerned.

I have heard great reports that it is great for all over strength and especially the core, which would be great for me as I have some excess weight to lose around that area after having my son 20 months ago.

Can anyone please give me any advice on how to get started or which would be the best Kettlebell DVD out there for a complete novice.

Can you also let me know if this type of exercise has transformed your strength, fitness or figure, I would be very interested to know if there has been any other mums out there who do Kettlebells and what results they have got for there tummy/abdomen area.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Annie : )

Hi Annie - I'm a big fan of the Anthony Diluglio and the AOS (Art of Strength) kettebell DVD's http://www.artofstrength.com/. The Kettlebell Way Vol 1 is probably a good one of these to start with. It includes a tutorial. AOS also has a training clinic DVD set that says to be for beginners. but I'm not familiar with it.

Depending on your current level of strength, a 20-25lb (or 8-12kg) kettlebell is good to start with.

I'm not familiar many other KB instructors, but if you a search of "kettlebells" on this forum, you'll get a boatload of hits.

I'm not a mom, but I think KB training has been great for strength.

Hope this helps! :)

kettlebell training

Thanks Gail for your reply and advice.

Can I ask Gayle if it's a hard exercise to get onto, and has it tightened your abs more so than doing any other workout.

Many thanks

Hi Annie,
I just got a Kettlebell at the fitness expo and there was a lady witch I have never seen before or heard of but she was selling the dvd's for Kettlebell's workout and she sounded very convincing I did not bought one yet but I'm planning on getting 2 of her workouts the beginner she explain each one how to get the technique right so we don't get hurt and the second one is a fallow along whole body workout.
HotBurningBody.com Vanessa Bader.

It is hard for me to explain what a kettlebell does to your core to someone who has never exercised with kettlebells, because I didn't even understand before I did them, but I will definitely try. :eek:

If you are looking for a piece of equipment and style of exercise that will strengthen your entire core, kettlebells are it. It sounds like you are looking for something that will tighten your tummy, and I honestly don't know if kettlebells will do that because my stomach was already tight before BUT since I have started kettlebells I do not have to do ab exercises anymore. At all. Ever. Every single exercise you do uses almost every single part of your abdominals and I only add ab work if I feel like it, not at all because I need to. My stomach is rock hard without any crunches, it's awesome.

If you are looking for aesthetic feedback: Kettlebells have shaped my upper body/core into something beautiful and seriously strong in much less time than traditional lifting, and it has kept it up. I don't have to change up my routine to trick my muscles. It has worked like nothing else has, and without any joint pain that can come with traditional lifting. It is hard to explain unless you try it, really, but the only way for me to describe it is that I did not realize how weak my core was until I started swinging, cleaning, snatching, etc.

It was extremely addicting for me, so it isn't hard to get into in that way but you will probably want to get with a trainer who is certified with kettlebells when you are just starting out to help you with form. I didn't use one because I will pretty uninformed when I started, but I watched lots of videos on youtube and really studied their form as well as got advice from others who were more experienced. There are definitely things you need to know before you get started, such as the importance of the hip snap. I would definitely recommend checking out other forums, such as the one mentioned by Gayle: ArtofStrength.com and another good one is DragonDoor.com I would also recommend looking into some books. I like Pavel Tsatsouline but I know that there are many other good authors out there.

Another great thing about having a strong core produced by kbs: I had hurt my back over a year ago, before kettlebells. It took me over a week to be able to sit or stand up without pain. A couple of months ago I had almost the exact same injury in the exact same spot, after 8 months with kettlebells. I was fine in 3 days, with just a little but if tightness. I was able to resume my normal routine completely back to normal in a week. That speaks volumes to me about how good kbs are for your core! :)

I am an enormous fan of kettlebells, GIGANTIC, and it's my favorite way to exercise. You get A LOT done in a short period of time, and when they exercises are done correctly you really can't get hurt. I haven't experienced overuse injuries like in other sports. I could talk about kettlebells all day and sing their praises until I am out of breath! But I have to go make dinner right now :p

I hope some of that helped. :)

Melissa

You have gotten some good advice but I just wanted to add that you might want to search for instructors in your area and set up a private instruction or class if possible. This is what I did and was fortunate enough to find Andrea DuCane, a Master RKC instructor offering classes near my home. I set up about 6 private instructions with her and it made all the difference in the world. I learned proper form and technique right away then felt comfortable enough to order some AOS dvd's (Providence, Newport, Kettlebell Way) & Lauren Brooks so I could workout at home with confidence.

Here is the link where you can search instructors:

http://www.dragondoor.com/rkc/

Good luck!

If at all possible, I highly suggest that you take a session with an RKC. Then, you can learn good form from the get-go, try out different size bells to see what works for you (they are an investment), and try it out to see if you really want to continue.

Kettlebell training can be quite an investment : the bells themselves, but also the DVD's, which generally have a higher price point than other workout DVD's.

It's generally suggested that women start with 18#, or 20# for a strong woman. I started with 15# (because that red Go Fit kettlebell was too purdy to resist!) and that was okay.

No matter what weight bell you start with, though, it will be too heavy for some moves (especially Turkish Get-ups---but you can do those unweighted or with a light dumbell at first) and will probably become too light for other moves rather quickly (like swings).

The most important move to learn to do correctly is the swing.
Anthony Diluglio's online video tutorial (on www.artofstrength.com ) and Pavel's "Enter the Kettlebell" or "From Russia with Tough Love" books and DVDs are good resources for this.

There are several good 'how-to" DVD's out there: Lisa Shaffer's "Get in the Best Shape of Your Life" book/DVD set (she also has a free online beginner's guide somewhere that is excellent).

If at all possible, I highly suggest that you take a session with an RKC. Then, you can learn good form from the get-go, try out different size bells to see what works for you (they are an investment), and try it out to see if you really want to continue.

Ahhhhh....great minds think alike;)

You lucky duck!

Yes, I was very lucky. She was this tiny thing that could throw around the biggest bells I've ever seen with little effort:eek:

kettlebell training

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for the great response and all your helpful advice.

I can only take from all your responses that this would be an excellent form of exercise to take up, and it's made me more eagar and keen to give it a go.

Thanks for all your tips on DVD's Book's and Form, etc.
It also sounds like a costly handling as Katryn suggested but i'm sure it would be worth it.

Thanks Pink Fortitude for your excellent reply it has defiantly made me want to give it a try.

Thanks again to everyone for your responses.

Many thanks

You have received excellent advice. I have no access to classes or certified instructors, however. I started with Lauren Brooks and am very glad I did. I feel her tutorials are very good. I also like her personality. And, her core speaks for itself on the effectiveness of kettlebells on the core region! She has abs "popping out everywhere," as a reviewer observed.

Kettlebells are unique, fun, and refreshing. They are great for cross-training and provide a quick, thorough workout. I hope you enjoy.

I started with a 15# kettlebell and quickly worked up to a 25#. But I sure was glad I still had that 15# when Lauren's new workout arrived.:eek: I don't have the $$$ for a heavier kettlebell right now. Luckily, I can substitute a dumbbell on the particular moves that I require a heavier weight on (like lat rows or deadlifts).

I had to order my 20# and 25# kettlebells because no local stores carried anything over 15# at the time (I was lucky enough to cash in on a free-shipping offer). But I have since seen them in sporting goods stores. Hopefully stores near you carry them as well, as shipping can be expensive.

HTH,

Kettlebell Training

Hi Elsie,

Thanks for your reply and advice, I am at this moment trying to sweet talk my husband into getting a Kettlebell DVD and some Kettlebells, due to funds as well, I only this week have bought a 4 Pack of Workout DVD's so a lot of pleading is necessary at the moment.

As you mentioned I have had great advice and tips regarding DVD's, etc.

I have actually viewed some of Lauren Brook's sample clips and as you say her abs speak for themselves. I also see she has a Pregnancy Kettlebell DVD out as well, which amazed me.

I'm still deciding which Kettlebell DVD to begin with as all the Kettlebell DVD suggestions seem excellent, I think once I persuade my husband I would just love to get stuck in with an actual workout, that is once I have learnt the correct form and technique.

Thanks also for giving me an idea of what weight to opt for.

Thanks again for your help and advice

Annie, there is a kettlebell check-in with some very rockin', smart, hip girls that really know their stuff if you would like to join us. I have learned a mountain of information since checking in with them last spring. Not everyone does kettlebells all the time, but we all love working out and have different perspectives/tastes/routines and are interesting and we help each other.

FWIW, I love anything Anthony DiLuglio and Lauren Brooks as far as DVDs go, but I love Lauren's instructional section so I would probably start with her. Her form is wonderful and her pointers are very, very helpful. You can even buy her stuff on Amazon. :)

Melissa

kettlebell Training

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the invite it sounds very interesting and it sounds like the best place to be for information, tips, etc.

Early days yet though as I still am trying to persuade my husband, after my last purchase of DVD's, it's still a work in progress, so fingers crossed.

I'm also from Ireland so it also takes a while for DVD's to arrive if ordering internationally that is once i've sorted it with my husband.

I think i'll definitely try Lauren first, especially if she has a good instructional section.

Many thanks for all your help Melissa.

I second the recommendation to start with Lauren Brooks (though of course someone you can work with in person would be absolutely ideal). I started with a different DVD and then tried Lauren and wished I'd tried hers first--she gives lots of great form pointers.

kettlebell training

Hi lainiefig (fig),

Thanks also for your response and for seconding Lauren's DVD's.

It's nice to know all the little details and that she gives good form pointers with her workouts.

Many thanks

Annie :D

P.S. Your baby is so cute.

Ok ladies I just order The Kettlebell Goddess Workout on amazon $ 26.99 I will let you know how I like it, I also want to get one of Lauren Brooks but that one is more $$$$ I will try this one first ..

Enablers...each and every one of you!

I was at BigBoxMart today and saw a purple, yes, purple Danskin 15# kettlebell. Had.to.have.it. It has a dvd with but I'll certainly be checking out Art Of Strength. I noticed on the Golds Gym kettlebells and other equipment that they offer free online workouts at iFit. Anyone try those?

I was at BigBoxMart today and saw a purple, yes, purple Danskin 15# kettlebell. Had.to.have.it. It has a dvd with but I'll certainly be checking out Art Of Strength. I noticed on the Golds Gym kettlebells and other equipment that they offer free online workouts at iFit. Anyone try those?

Enablers...each and every one of you that's right lol:p:p I got a 25# kettlebell but I'm afraid I will need a 15 # as well.:confused::confused:
How much was the shipping?

Enablers...each and every one of you that's right lol:p:p I got a 25# kettlebell but I'm afraid I will need a 15 # as well.:confused::confused:
How much was the shipping?

Eunice, I just walked out of the store with it - they had them physically there - it was something on the order of $19 with tax.

They also had an adjustable one that went from 5 pounds to 20 but they wanted $80 for it and I wasn't ready to make that big a commitment. Plus - the $80 one wasn't pretty :D.

This was Walmart and, as much as I know I shouldn't shop there, I do. It's cheap. Cheap is good.

Hope this helps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.