Accomplished mommies and their snoozin babes 4/18-4/24

Sweetpea1

Cathlete
Good morning! Not a good night at all with J! He was so sleepy so I put him down at 10. I was exhausted from Insanity and crashed. He woke up at 11 crying so I tried putting him back to sleep and he would just cry every minutes. I finally gave him some gas drops and gripe water and after an hour, he seemed to settle and go to sleep. He woke up at 7, ate and fell back asleep. So I am a little sleepy....and really sore!

Christine- Are they the same chicken cake recipe you gave me? Those were yum! I'm thinking about skipping my workout this AM and going to buy some new undies. I'm feelin a lil sexy... Susan is right, your work will be harder once John starts moving around. I cannot imagine what you have to worry about. HUGS!

Susan- My DH is the same way...doesn't matter what I am wearing. He attacks me in the AM when I am putting makeup and bent over the bathroom counter. :p Go figure! Have fun shopping!

Hi Kendra! Glad you guys are having fun! Can't wait to see some pics of your family!

Off to MIL today. Was hoping to lay out by the pool for a bit but of course, since its the weekend, its cloudy. We have absolutely gorgeous weather all week while I am working and the weekends suck! Today might be a rest day cause I might tackle the other hour long Insanity Mon/Tues just to try it. I start Meso 2 next weekend.

Hi Melanie! Can't wait to hear about your race! Hope you are getting some rest!

Good morning!
Jen-you have me needing to try one of the Max Insanities. Hope James has a restful day for you. It's amazing how something that seems so little like gas can totally mess up babies. lol on the bending over the counter thing---my DH would probably just tell me I'm in the way :).

Susan-nothing like a sexy pair of panties to brighten the mood. I'm weird about what I wear...never know when I'll need rescued by a hot fire fighter or paramedic. :)

Christine-how did DH end up not being on baby duty? Sleep through it like mine? That was sweet of him to get you that massage. You absolutely deserve it! Did I read correctly that you haven't been alone in a year?? Not even to the grocery store??

I had a nice morning with my mom. Picked up a few things for the kids. I'm not sure what we have planned for today. Mid-60s and sunny, so I'd like to do something outside. It's a good thing that Reese has decent nights because Caden has been waking up several times a night. He's a drooling machine...those teeth are causing him some major issues.

I'm thinking about trying CLX for weights and then doing Insanity, running, and walking for cardio. I'd like to start CLX today, but we'll see what the day brings after Caden's wicked night last night (DH was up with him, so he may not be a huge help today...). I'm also excited to try RevAbs.....so many things I want to do but so little time. ahh...

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Lisa- sounds like your weekend is good! i get to the store occassionaaly alone, like 3 times a year. i do my saturday long runs alone, the kids can't last 18 miles! but, usually, they are always with me, even at the obgyn and dentist. i am used to it but it was so nice to have a break.
jen- insanity zaps me energy wise! but the results rock! laying out by a pool would be so nice!
susan- thanks for the recipes! dh would probably be happy with a t shirt and shorts, too! he is giddy just to get some!
kendra- have fun at the beach! that is a lot of work with so many kids!
mel- could you look any hotter? you look great! yay!!!!
ok, off to run. 8 miles today, still sore from yesterday. bbl!

and jen, hope that James is giving you a great nap today. John was like that for a few nights last week. Yuck. He woke up at midnight to eat, and then at 3:45 with a huge poop and would not go back to slep. What is wrong with these boys?

CHristine- I am loving the results from Insanity already! I can't wait to start Meso 2 AND Insanity. I can already tell my belly is slimming cause I feel like I hold my abs in better. Enjoy your 8 miles! I want to run to see how my cardio has increased since Insanity but I am so addicted to it now! We got a short nap earlier and now at MIL's so hopefully he will zonk out soon.

Melanie- You do look hot! You definitely don't look like you have 5 children and just had twins! You have done such a great job!

Hi all! BB tonight after leaving MILs

I am home and about 75% unpacked. Whew what a trip.

First of all, thanks for all your kind comments & support. I feel great, a little sore but well worth the effort. I am pleased with the physical results of 1/2 marathon preparation....weighing in at 7lbs under my prepregnancy weight & at least 5% loss of body fat from a month ago. Now it will be time to pamper myself a bit....I think the training has been a little hard on my milk production. I might train for another 1/2 marathon in October...but no marathon's this year. I could see the strain my family endured & am so thankful for their support. :D

The most challenging part of the trip was fatigue & the eye doctors appointments. They took over two hours & the seven employees at America's Eye Best kept giving us the evil eye and treating us like we were trailer trash or something. Urgh. $800 later, we had six pairs of glasses and 6 months worth of contacts & were nothing short of exhausted. I suppose they didn't realize were up since 5AM, traveled five hours, and already had two dentist appointments that day. I just hated giving them my business. Oh well. That's taken care of, I suppose.

The race was awesome. My pharmacy school friend (a season marathon runner) and I chatted the ENTIRE race. She kept giving me pointers and such. It was like "having coffee with an old friend". The time just whizzed by. I finished in 2 hrs 2 mins and 15 seconds at a 9:20pace. My primary goal was 2 hours and 13 minutes (which I just blew away)....my ultimate goal was 2hrs...which I came close to. I made some mistakes (like giving her full throttle when I saw the finish line...shoulda waited longer)...but it was a blast! I am also the proud owner of three new blisters on the bottom of my feet. :confused::confused: I could feel them forming around mile nine. The other pharmacy school friend (a dude) finished in 1 hour 27 minutes. Dudes are just so much faster! LOL

Alrighty, better finish unpacking and preparing for this week. I have to work four days this upcoming week. You know what they say, "you play, you pay". LOL

Melanie, I can't imagine how (mentally) tiring it would be to take that many people to the eye doc on the same day, at the same time. Whew! CONGRATS on your awesome time :) I'm so excited for you, and so proud of you for pushing yourself so hard for something you really wanted. Four days this week? I hope you're able to get lots of sleep tonight. Congrats again!!

Susan, I haven't totally cut out sugar. I know I should, just as I know I need to give up my Diet Coke habit. But these are my only vices anymore LOL I bought the book Sugar Shock! more than a year ago, but have yet to read it!! My usual PJs are sweatpants, a fleece, and socks. Apparently, this works for DH (my Victoria's Secret stuff hasn't seen the light of day in a loooooong time!). ;)

Jen, I don't usually workout from a magazine either, but I find it inspiring so I waste my money anyway :p Sorry James was a stinker last night. Those nights are exhausting. I hope tonight is better. DH starts the day shift this week, right?!?!

Christine, yay for lentils! Glad you liked them. I haven't tried RevAbs yet. Planning to start CLX tomorrow, with Insanity for cardio. Do you know if you're supposed to take the one week off between CLX phases? How did Jimmy like the car show? A massage sounds awesome -- good for you, treating yourself to one.

Kendra, color me jealous that you're at the BEACH! Are you guys in FL? Do you live down there (sorry, I don't remember where you live, if you shared that info)? It was summerlike in Philly for a couple weeks, but now we're back in the 50s and 60s, with a chill in the air. Works for me -- I like my soup and chili weather :)

Lisa, glad you had a nice time with your mom! Augh, I am sooo not a fan of teething. Those teething nights are long.

Gotta go cook dinner for the troops (my stepkids are here). BBL!

Melanie- I loved reading your account of the race! It makes me think that maybe one day I can do it. I didn't realize the whole family needed to see the eye doctor! You guys are troopers! What a day! Your blisters are your battle wounds. Hope you get some sleep tonight. Your body needs a break.

Allison- Yes DH starts day shift on Wednesday. He took tonight off so he could go to MILs with us and get used to sleeping at night for a few nights. I am so happy he will be home in the evening. He got rewarded tonight in the shower. :p No sexy undies needed here. That was just a little sneak peek of what he can get now that he will be home at night. Bow-chica-wow wow!

Lisa- Which Insanity did you decide to do? I want to try the other Max Interval one before I start Meso 2. Hope Caden feels better and gives you a little break tonight. Yay for Reese doing good with her sleep! What a good girl!

See you ladies tomorrow!

Allison (and others), I have sugar detoxed at least three times in the last five years. It was tough, but well worth it....and I never felt better in my life 10 days into it. The testing point is when you add sugars back on & you have to have the discipline to listen to your body's threshold. I am currently testing my threshold...and have to back away b/c I find myself "craving" sugar treats.

Jen, congrats to your shower action. That's so sweet. Someday, I too will have a libido again. lol

When I was in St Cloud picking up my racing packet, I bought some running shorts and a 1/2 marathon running t-shirt. I then hurried up to sporting good's store (but had my very tired six year old with me). I underestimated time it would take to pick up running packet (no longer used to all that city traffic). Anyhew, for the whole ten minutes I was in the store I was overwhelmed like a kid in a candy store. I checked out the bowflex 552's and fell in love, saw Cathe 6 inch bands, more waterbottles then I've ever seen, cool shoes, running shorts, running visors, no IT bands, some sporting bras, and various socks. I also dragged poor Justin up the escalator to look at various other bottles, & DVDs. In short I was overwhelmed and overpressed for time......so I purchased NOTHING. lol It felt good to actually TOUCH stuff, but felt so stressed to get back to hotel to get the rest of family & then off to eye dr appts. LOL

Sooooooooo, all my sports attire & gear will need to be ordered from amazon. No biggie. Probably will spend less. lol Oh, and I LOVE my new running shorts (never had a pair). They even have their own crotch in them. No preformed hole for peeing though (like the spanx). :D :D

I have looked at my schedule and see that I only have three days off when I was planning on visiting my Dad. I think we're going to re-schedule for Father's Day. I hope my Dad can make it that long (as long as he's not in pain). I just can't do another trip with five kids (26 hrs in the car) for a three day trip....then sandwiched b/w four-10 hour shifts. I think we'll take a week off of work and go to Wisconsin Dells (and visit my Dad) in June.

Anyone have big plans this week?

Jen, shower action? You go, girl! DH and I were just reminiscing the other night, about how we used to have fun all over the house at any time of day. Now it's "dangerous" to have fun in the living room at night, in case Ella wakes up LOL

Melanie, I have a friend in Minneapolis who has mentioned the Dells to me too. Clearly, the place to go! How difficult were the first days of the sugar detox? Did you lose weight and bloat right away? That's what I find intriguing ;) How is your dad doing with the tube? I'm sure knowing of a June visit will really cheer him up, giving him something to look forward to. Sounds like your sporting goods store outing was awesome! Is the drive too long to make it the entire purpose of an outing with a girlfriend? I think I have become spoiled where we live -- I have almost any store you can imagine within 20 miles of my house (2 Crate & Barrels, 2 Nordstroms, The Container Store, 4 or 5 Trader Joe's, 8 Targets that I can think of!, etc). I went to high school in a small, small town (on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State), and loved it. But I don't know if I could go back now!

No big plans this week. It's cooled off again, so I'm making some soups to stock the fridge and freezer. Ella has soccer 2 nights, going to Amish country with my mom to buy my flowers and veggie plants. Oh, and starting CLX/Insanity/RevAbs :D :D :D

Melanie- wow I would have needed a Xanax to endure all you did and you threw in a half marathon with a pr? I admire you so much. Sports
stores are my Vegas. I simply adore them. Get some rest!
Bbl John is squirming....

I made the other night. The house smelled soooo good while it baked! I used 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts and 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Based on several of the reviews at myrecipes.com, I doubled the sauce. And, I added some herbs to the sauce too -- tarragon, thyme, and rosemary. Served with brown rice, some awesome green beans, and homemade bread. YUM!

CHICKEN WITH 40 CLOVES OF GARLIC
from Cooking Light magazine

2 (3-pound) whole chickens
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
40 garlic cloves, peeled
1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine
24 (1/4-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)

Remove and discard giblets and neck from chickens. Rinse chickens with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat; remove skin. Cut each chicken into 8 pieces. Combine butter and oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over chicken. Add half of chicken pieces to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.

Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic; cook 1 minute or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Arrange chicken on top of garlic. Add broth and wine; cover and cook 25 minutes or until chicken is done.

Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup. Serve sauce and garlic with chicken and bread. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.

CALORIES 343 (36% from fat); FAT 13.7g (sat 3.6g,mono 4.9g,poly 3.4g); IRON 2.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 111mg; CALCIUM 58mg; CARBOHYDRATE 24.2g; SODIUM 468mg; PROTEIN 29.6g; FIBER 2g

Cooking Light, JUNE 2005

Made these last week too. I thought they were awesome, and loved how healthy they are. I have made this before, as a casserole (with the peppers cut up, the meat already cooked, using cooked brown rice instead of bulghur). This time, I made it as written. Fantastic! You could easily make these ahead, and I think they would freeze well too.

GREEK STYLE STUFFED PEPPERS
from Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger

1 pound lean ground beef (used ground turkey)
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated (about 2 cups)
1 small onion, minced (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup bulghur
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans low-sodium stewed tomatoes, finely chopped
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl combine the beef, spinach, zucchini, onion, bulghur, egg, oregano, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomatoes over the peppers and sprinkle with the feta cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the meat mixture is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 25 minutes longer.

This is one of my favorite, superfast soups. It is really good! I drain and rinse the beans, and just add water to the pot to compensate.

INSTANT BLACK BEAN SOUP
from Cooking Light

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup soup, 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese, 1 tablespoon onions, 1 tablespoon sour cream, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro)

2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added black beans, undrained
1/2 cup bottled salsa
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 (16-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
5 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
5 tablespoons minced green onions
2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Place beans and liquid in a medium saucepan; partially mash beans with a potato masher. Place over high heat; stir in salsa, chili powder, and broth. Bring to a boil. Ladle soup into bowls; top with cheese, sour cream, onions, and cilantro.

CALORIES 212 (21% from fat); FAT 4.9g (sat 2.6g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.5g); IRON 2.9mg; CHOLESTEROL 13mg; CALCIUM 163mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.7g; SODIUM 411mg; PROTEIN 14.7g; FIBER 5.4g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 1999

A couple weeks ago someone mentioned whole wheat pizza crust. I like this recipe from Eating Well magazine because it's easy, it's fast, and it tastes really good. It's a bit bland, which allows the toppings to shine. But I've added herbs and some parm to the crust, too -- yum!

I have frozen the dough with success too. Just freeze right after taking out of the food processor (spray ziploc bag with Pam first); it will rise as it defrosts.

This dough works well for making stromboli too. Haven't tried with calzones, but I bet it would work as well :)

WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/whole_wheat_pizza_dough.html

From EatingWell: Winter 2003, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
To improve the nutritional profile of pizza, include whole-wheat flour in the crust. Using half whole-wheat and half all-purpose yields a light crust with a distinctive nutty taste. Quick-rising yeast shortens rising time to just 10 minutes, making wholesome homemade pizza a possibility for busy weeknights.

Makes 1-12 ounce or 1 pound dough | Active Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes

To make 12 ounces dough:
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 package quick-rising yeast, (2 1/4 teaspoons), such as Fleischmann's RapidRise
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2-2/3 cup hot water, (120-130°F)
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

To make 1 pound dough:
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 package quick-rising yeast, (2 1/4 teaspoons), such as
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup hot water, (120-130°F)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a food processor; pulse to mix. Combine hot water and oil in a measuring cup. With the motor running, gradually pour in enough of the hot liquid until the mixture forms a sticky ball. The dough should be quite soft. If it seems dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water; if too sticky, add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour. Process until the dough forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Coat a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place it, sprayed-side down, over the dough. Let the dough rest for 10 to 20 minutes before rolling.

Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack; preheat oven to 500°F or highest setting. Roll and top the pizza as desired (we suggest a 13-inch circle) and bake the pizza until the bottom is crisp and golden, 10 to 14 minutes. Serve immediately.

Nutrition
Per 12-ounce serving : 766 Calories; 12 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 8 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 142 g Carbohydrates; 26 g Protein; 16 g Fiber; 1882 mg Sodium; 542 mg Potassium

Exchanges: 9 starch, 2 fat

Nutrition Note: Per 1 pound: 1,032 calories; 18 g fat (3 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 189 g carbohydrate; 33 g protein; 21 g fiber; 2,509 mg sodium.

Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Store in a plastic bag coated with cooking spray in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.

Morning!
House SOLD! Now we are in panic mode big time. We have to be out June 4. I Have to find a place in Miss and Paul has to find a a place here. I know it will al work out but now Im just freaking! At least the house selling is done and over! Oh and we got the asking price

Melanie-Im sooo very proud of you! Im sorry you had such a stressed time at the eye dr.
Jen-whoohoo for the shower action. boo about no pool time.Im excited about your insantiy results! Im also exicted to hear about meso 2. Its great dh will be at home at nights now!
Lisa-let me know how you like CLX. Im confused on what to do next too. I loved meso 1, want to try instanity and revabs...ackk...what to do??? I try to keep nice undies on too......not really sext..but decent lol
Allison-thanks so much for the recipes! I am giving up sugar another go starting today. I soooo want to get rid of the cravings. Im looking forward to the "10 day feel great feeling" melanie mentioned.
Christine-how did the kiddo's sleep?
Hi Kendra, Judy
Gotta get....coffee with dh then workout. bb

PUB/PLB combo done. Since we wil have company this week and theywill be in my weight room I wanted to get 2 full body weight wo's done. I will do another on Friday. I will walk on tm or do elleiptal tues, wed and thurs while they are here.

Hope everyone has a great day! I need to grocery shop. Oh...speaking of shopping...Kara sat in the Target cart for the first time yesterday. she loved it..it was a hoot watching her look around etc. Dh took a pic with his phone..its not the best but I will post it. And I diluted just a tiny bit of juice in a sippy cup for K r to play with while I cooked dinner...she had fun but don't think she drank any..it was all on her shirt lol

bbs

Attachments

• shoppin.jpg
    shoppin.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 16
  • sippycup.jpg
    sippycup.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 15
Hey ladies-ah..Monday already. It's my late night tonight. I feel bad for DH having them both until 8 since Caden has been such a mess lately. I hope those teeth finish pushing out and he kicks his cold soon. It will be my turn with them Wednesday night.
Allison-thanks for posting that pizza crust recipe. I'd like to try a different one, and I like that I can freeze this one.

Susan-congrats on selling the house!! That's awesome that you even got the asking price. Woo hoo!

Jen-*whistle* on the shower action =) Good for you guys! I didn't do Insanity yesterday, as the kids had me taking them for a couple long walks yesterday. My walks with them are always power walks, so I called that my cardio. I also did CLX burn circ 1. I'm not sure what to think about it. I didn't really feel worked, though I did go heavy. My hands just felt worked from holding the weights. I'll do the other 2 circuits this week, and see what I think after that. I also did RevAbs Mercy Abs. Not a fan of Brett and him constantly referring constantly calling me his friend, but the workout was great!

Melanie-welcome back!! congrats on your race and such a great pace. You are awesome! I wouldn't be surprised if you run a full someday. The Dells is such a fun place for kids (and adult kids like me..I love waterparks =) ). When you did your sugar detox, did you just eliminate straight sugar, or did you also avoid things like bread, pasta, fruit, etc? What foods did you eat?

Treadmill run and another RevAbs ab workout this morning before work. I need to catch up on my Young and the Restless from last week, so on to the treadmill I go :)

Hello Judy, Kendra, Christine, and Priscilla!

susan! wow! that is great, but woah! so will you go back to mississippi in june? oh no! you will need to skpe with dh! we did that when my dh was away, and it made it much easier on jimmy. order a dumpster and throw stuff out! and you got asking price. way to go. love the pics of kara! i am trying to figure out how to get john in a cart. i need to make one that is super padded, the cart will bruise him. he is such a fatty, the infant seat will only work a little longer. he started bruising from being in the bath so i ordered an inflatable tub and lined it with huge foam sponges. i think i need to learn to sew. susan, if you are interested in meso 2, email me on fb...
lisa- i agree, workouts on revabs work but that guy is a tool. for clx, i might try using resistance bands so you do not aggravate your ra....
jen- you are having lots of good times! yay! i am glad that dh will have a better schedule. when jimmy was little, dh went to work at 3:30am and got home after 7pm, he did not even see him during the week. it is so much easier to have him around!
allison- i am going to make the pizza crust and black bean soup asap! jimmy loves black beans and it is so easy, i am going to have him help me!
ok, bbl,
oh, and john pooped the past 3 nights at 4am, grrr.

Morning ladies! Much better night, James slept til almost 730a. I had a drs appt this AM so I got some stuff done around the house before I had to leave since DH was off and taking care of J.

Susan- Congrats on the house! I had a good feeling about it! I can't wait to put James in a cart. Probably next month he will be stable enough.

Allison- Thanks for recipes! I haven't made the ww pizza crust that I posted for Mel yet. Maybe this week....and then I will try yours. Its good to know that yours freezes well. :)

Lisa- I don't like that Brett guy either. My abs are still sore from the Max Insanity. Hope you had a great run before work!

Christine- Gosh, again, all the things you have to think about with John. I think you are right about my back/ab connection. My back feels "tweaked" again but my abs are also sore so I think its all getting stronger. I feel like I walk taller from all the plank work. So James has just been a cranky butt this morning for DH. He's a little stressed now....First day and things arent going his way. Oh well...welcome to my world!

Have a good day at work Mel!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.