A "skinny" rant....

RE: A

>Most the time I can blow it off or come back with a polite
>comment, but that time of month. Watch out!!! My patience is
>low!! :eek:
>

I'm with you there! It is TTOM for me, and if anybody calls me "skinny" today, I'll give 'em what for!!

Ironically, one of my colleagues once commented "how do you stay so skinny"(that word that grates like fingernails on the chalkboard of my mind). SHE is skinny: no muscle tone, a bit too thin.

Take it easy, String Bean! (Just kidding!)

I have been called "skinny", but not in the way you're saying. The woman in the office next to mine asked if I was losing weight. She said I looked good and "skinny". But that's it.

I think because I'm only 5'0", but have a 34C bustline, people don't see me as skinny.

You're comment about the roundhouse kick cracked me up. I always feel like doing that when someone ticks me off.

People can be incredibly rude. It blows my mind every time I hear something new.

All right Donna! No string bean allowed! I don't even like strig beans, though I wish I did! POW! There's your kick! Just kidding also!

Its nice to hear from people who understand. If someone would say "you look nice today", that would blow me away. Instead they snarl and say "skinny". I think its just that word. When I hear the word skinny, I picture someone who is rail thin from an eating disorder. I would hate to think I look like that, which I don't.

I am sure most people I know will be glad when in about 10-15 years from now when menopause hits me and it takes more than Cathe and decent eating to keep my weight healthy. But then that's all I can do!

Thanks y'all for understanding!
:) Renee

I agree with Nancy. At 5'7'' and 118-120 pounds, that is very slim. I've seen weight charts that says that is actually underweight for that height. So they are giving you a compliment. That's how I see it. :) They should call you slim instead of skinny though. Maybe just tell them you don't like that word. Skinny is sort of a harsh word...I don't think they really mean to be insulting. Sometimes people just don't know any better. I bet they are saying this because they wish someone would call them skinny. Try not to take it to heart. I really don't think they mean to insult you. I bet you're in kick butt shape. You roundhouse kick comment cracked me up too! Tee-hee!

:)

I agree with Dani and Nancy. When I saw your weight and your height, I automatically thought you were very thin and small boned. Just because someone called you skinny doesn't mean it's in a nasty way. I used to be called skinny before I had kids and I liked it. I knew I wasn't SKINNY. Just fit. In people's eyes, you're thin or skinny to them. Now I'm trying to get my "skinny" body back. Besides, I think you're making this into a big deal. Don't even waste your brain cells and energy over something so small. You know what is good for you so just listen to yourself. I think a lot of people take things way too personally at times.

Your right, that was rude to mention her name like that. I edited my post to make it sound better! I realize she has a serious, life threating problem and I should not make light of it! Thanks for making me realize that I was not being nice!

Renee,

I have a friend who constantly tells me that I am "too skinny" not just "skinny" - and she also states she tells me this because she is my friend and feels compelled to be truthful with me. She even went so fat as to tell me after I had two miscarriages between my 7th and 8th pregnancies that it was because I was "too skinny." Now, that is when I got really hurt and said enough is enough!

I found out I was low on progesterone and had progesterone shots with my last three pregnancies - it had nothing to do with my weight. Actually, I have been able to conceive very easily - which means I have plenty of estrogen(the fat hormone).

I have talked to my doctor about her comments a couple of times and he assured me that I was not "too skinny" - he even said he would not recommend that I even gain weight. He told me to ask this woman if she knew there was an epidemic of obesity in the U.S. He also said I needed to tell her that zhe needed to be more like me.

My doctor knows I work out and am in great health by the blood work he does. He told me to keep up the good work.

I, also, have a friend who is about 100 pounds overweight who sticks up for me when this other friend starts in on me being "too skinny" - she says "That's awfully funny. I have never seen Cheryl as being "too skinny" but having the curves in all the right places.

By the way I am 5" 5" and I weighed 113 at my physical in November.

It really infuriates me when people feel they need to make negative comments about someone else's body.

Why should we accept someone calling us "skinny" - people who are overweight do not like being called "fat" or even worse "obese" - I will be 49 this month and starting premenopause and I hope to keep myself from gaining the "gut" - or the excess by working out.

By the way,would you ever tell anyone they had "cottage cheese" for thighs?

Cheryl

I just wanted to add that I don't think calling someone "skinny" really is the same as calling someone "fat" and especailly saying they have "cottage cheese" thighs. (BTW..skinny people can have cellulite too) You just can't compare the two. This is just my personal opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone. Skinny is "IN". If you look at all the celebrities and models, they are "skinny" so I really think people are just trying to give a compliment and they don't think they are offending anyone. When someone calls someone "FAT" they are intentionally *trying* to be mean. Being called FAT in this society is really mean and hurtful. Society sees "skinny" as beautiful not the other way around. JMHO!

I personally believe that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes!!!
:)

> When
>I hear the word skinny, I picture someone who is rail thin
>from an eating disorder.

That's because you are aware of the actual connotations of the word. Many people don't seem to be aware of the differences between similar words, even in their own language. Such a shame, as we then lose the ability to express subtle differences in meaning (that's the language teacher, and language lover, in me talking!)

I agree with your post, Dani.

All the labeling is really upsetting, but it is more upsetting when you're on the less desirable side of things.

Cognitively I know that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, but in in society, beauty really only comes in one size. Here and there someone breaks out of the mold, but for the most part, the thinner you are, the more positively you are perceived.

I don't believe that everybody can be thin with the right diet and exercise. I believe that there are people who will have a monumental struggle to stay at a certain weight. I also believe that fitness has nothing to do with weight. About two months ago I weighed 165 at 5'3" and had a heart rate of 56, and a blood pressure to match. I was 5 pounds away from being considered obese, but yet I know I was fitter than someone else my age who didn't exercise, but was at the "correct" weight.

If I had to be labeled, I would rather it be on my fitness level and not my size. But that's not gonna happen - LOL.

Certainly no offense is intended on my part either. We all have our reasons for working as hard as we do. I can only keep trying to improve!

Susan L.G.

>If
>someone calls you "skinny," why can't you call them fatty?
>Like when the coworker said "don't be such a...skinny," you
>could fire back: "it's better than being a fatty." (A comment
>not directed towards him necessarily, but to what the opposite
>of a "skinny"would be.)
>
>

Ha ha ha :) I have done this before and boy does it stop people in their tracks!!!!!!!!

You didn't....did you really....no, you couldn't have....well, if you said you did, you did!!! You've got balls, girl. Good for you if it made you feel better.

That's too funny
:D

Another thought...I read an article recently by a cardiologist. He said he went to a cardiologist's conference and ran into another doctor he knew whom exclaimed how "thin" he was! The doctor was really shocked because he was a normal size. After they talked about, they decided that "Normal" can look "thin" in a society where 60% of the people are overweight and 30% of those are obese. So when someone says you're skinny, when you're really within a normal weight range, they are probably looking at you in light of all of the overweight people they see every day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.