5% increase question

dreamyjeanie

Cathlete
Reading the blog today it talks about increasing the weight by 5%. Does that mean we are going to need something like plate mates to use with this system? For example if I currently use 2 20 lb dumbbells for chest press, 5% of that would be 1 lb. Most dumbbells only come in 5 lb increments once you get to 15 lbs or more. So are there other options besides platemates to accomplish the increase?

Jean

i was just coming here to ask that very question.....

so to BEST utilize this already expensive program... we either need to buy different/new weights in odd increments (i.e. 16, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 31 and so on) or invest in plate mates (not cheap) (and in my case, plate mates won't work because my weights are the rubber coated ones.... they actually are very similar to the ones cathe is using in her blog pics... rubber coated ends/bells and metal handles)

or we aren't able to do the 5% increase... which makes STS useless then without plate mates.... or is there another way you propose we do this (of course that would go against the whole one rep max that you say is so important AND the 5% increase that again... you say is so important)

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Oops - I see my question has already been asked. I started a new thread with a similar question.

Susan L.G.

"Reading the blog today it talks about increasing the weight by 5%. Does that mean we are going to need something like plate mates to use with this system? For example if I currently use 2 20 lb dumbbells for chest press, 5% of that would be 1 lb. Most dumbbells only come in 5 lb increments once you get to 15 lbs or more. So are there other options besides platemates to accomplish the increase?"

I was wondering this as well.

Maggie:)

Yes, Platemates would be a very good idea and the least expensive option for “microloading”. 5lb jumps are really too large of an increase for many exercisers and a major reason why many hit a plateau from which they never progress. You can also purchase dumbbells in 2 ½ increments, like we have at our health club, but Platemates are a much cheaper alternative. Even if you don’t microload and use the same weight each week , just keep doing 8 reps each week as your base, but try to add a rep to at least one additional set each week. As a rule if you can't change the intensity try to change the volume (in this case reps).

Another idea for you is to purchase weighted gloves. When you need a weight between the dumbbells you have, just put the weighted gloves on. Many gloves are adjustable between 1 and 2 1/2 lbs. They're actually the easiest and safest way to go for many. If you have plastic weights this would be your preferred choice

thank you.....

for me the weighted gloves is a better option as i have coated dumbbells that don't work with platemates :(

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

I LUV my Plate Mates. They are one of the best investments I've made :7 . The other options sound good also.

:) ,

jordan

Just wanted to add that in researching the Plate Mates - the best price that I found was on fwonline.com

https://www.fwonline.com/plate.htm 19.50 for two 1 1/4 hexs...

A lot of other sites had them in the $25 range... Although I dont want to keep purchasing a ton of equipment - I can see how these are going to be very important to have because that 5 lb jump on the bigger dumbbells is quite a lot.

>What are those little tiny magnetized weights called that are
>similar to platemtes, but fit on the edges of the hex
>dumbells? Were they called micro-weights or something
>similar?

There is a thread on them in the Open Discussion forum. If you search for "platemates" (the thread also discussed those) in the advanced search under "message," you should be able to find it.

Your attitude is out of place.

Whether you choose to purchase the STS system is exactly that, your choice. No-one is forcing you to buy it.

Secondly, whether or not you invest in the STS, you need platemates or a system of small weight increments anyway.

If you are serious about your weight training and continuing to make progress with increasingly heavier weights, you need some system that will help you make those increases. How else do you plan to effectively and safely transition from, say, 20 pound bicep curls to 25 pound bicep curls?

You seem to be insinuating that SNM is personally responsible for the fact that the manufacturers of dumbells don't make them in 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, etc, weight amounts.

Whether you use STS, any other of Cathe's weight training DVDs or do freestyle weight training on your own, you need platemates, or a system like them. I have them and they are a marvellous investment, better than all the other fitness gadgets out there. Again, your choice.

Clare

>>Another idea for you is to purchase weighted gloves. When you
>need a weight between the dumbbells you have, just put the
>weighted gloves on. Many gloves are adjustable between 1 and 2
>1/2 lbs. They're actually the easiest and safest way to go for
>many. If you have plastic weights this would be your preferred
>choice
>
Love the wt'd glove idea! I have 1 lb wt donuts which are another alternative. I slide them onto my wrists and they are very cheap--4 one lb donuts for $14.95. Personally, I don't like how platemates and pace wts add to the length/width of the dbs.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

>thank you.....
>
>for me the weighted gloves is a better option as i have coated
>dumbbells that don't work with platemates :(
>
>-------------
>cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional
>10-15 calories burned!
>

Which brand are you using? I just brought Pace-Weights and they do work with the coated DBs. They come in 1/2-pound mini weight and I love them. They are not that expensive.

http://paceweights.com/products/index.htm

>What are those little tiny magnetized weights called that are
>similar to platemtes, but fit on the edges of the hex
>dumbells? Were they called micro-weights or something
>similar?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Susan L.G.
>
>P.S. In the meantime, here is an interesting link I found (no
>pun intended - you'll see what I mean).
>
>http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/5607/post/last/

------------------------------------------------------

Do you mean Pace Weights? I'll check out your link thanks.

http://paceweights.com/products/index.htm

I have two 1/2 pound plate mates and four 1 pound wrist weights and two 1 1/2 pound wrist weights. Wrist weights, can be placed around the 1-8# dumbbells. They can also be worn on your wrists of course for that extra weight. Also put them in the middle of the barbell or along with the appropriate weight on the sides of the bar to give an edge to lift heavier. The plate mates are attached onto the heavier weight.

Hope this helps,

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.