4 those of us "snowed in"...

getnfit@38

Cathlete
Looking for a great crosstraining exercise to do today and/or tomorrow?

Thought I'd let you know that 358 calories/hour can be burned by shoveling snow!
Those stats are based on a 150lb woman shoveling snow for 1 hour.

Not that I'm going out there to do it today, but I thought I'd pass it on anyway! :)

So you can add or deduct calories here and there depending on your weight, but "wooo-hooo!", what a workout, and just think of the muscles you'll use that you normally might not!

Okay~now I'm off to have a hot mug of Diet Swiss Miss and watch my hubby shovel the walkway! :)

Donna
Fitness~ it's a journey, not a race!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-02 AT 04:05PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Donna! From a fellow Pennsylvanian, I'll join you in a cup of Sugar Free Swish Miss. ;-) I shoveled this morning but it only took me about 20 minutes since I live in a row home and don't have a driveway! But those snowplows have plowed me into my street parking space so I'm sure I'll burn some calories tomorrow morning digging myself out! For now, it will be Rhythmic Step and CTX Biceps to help me burns some calories.

Happy Snow Day!

By the way - what will all you snowbunnies be doing for your workout today? Curious as always!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-02 AT 05:15PM (Est)[/font][p]Hey..I'm in S. Jersey but work in PA.. No way was I getting on the Blue Route today!!

I took advantage of today to do 90 min of various cardio [Zumba instructional, part of CardioKicks, G-Force Super Step). It was one of those days...nothing seemed to be the right fit.

I thought about shoveling snow today as a substitute for weights but I ended up doing neither!!

I'm going to plunk down on the couch and finish watching a movie...hmm where did I put that Swiss Miss??

~~ Sharon ~~

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-02 AT 05:19PM (Est)[/font][p]wierd.. I couldn't edit my messge..

Anyway I did a little bit of Zumba, about a 1/2 hour of Cardio kicks and about a 1/2 hour of G-Force Superstep. It was one of those days that nothing seemed like the right fit.

~~ Sharon ~~

I'm in S. Jersey, right outside of Philly. We got a whopping 8 inches in my backyard!!!! I had to go out to take my dd in for minor surgery--they didn't close! It wasn't bad on the local roads. Glad we didn't have to go far.

I'm doing S&H Legs/Shoulders tonight. DH did the shoveling--out house & our older, single lady neighbors. She's buying him a snow blower! How cool is she?!

I'm ready to take the next step! http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/a_smil09.gif

I did a Charlene Prickett cardio this morning (Start Your Engines). My legs were still feeling the effects of last evenings S&H legs-shoulders workout so I opted for a long, low impact cardio with a good stretch at the end! :)
Every "big knees" that I did I thought of Cathe saying, "tomorrow you'll be so sore just from the effort you put in to this" (talking about the back lunges on S&H), and she was right, I was! :)

Donna

Fitness~ it's a journey, not a race!

Hi Sharon!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-02 AT 06:00PM (Est)[/font][p]Sharon - I live outside Philly very close to the Blue Route. I saw on the news that it was literally a parking lot for those trying to get on it - no way was I going to work! ;-)

Gettingfit - I remember that you work in Plymouth Meeting just like me! I too have about 8" of snow just sitting there on my poor car...

RE: Hi Sharon!

Hi There,

I live in the New York City area and we had about 6 inches so far and its still snowing now. It was my rest day today, but I will get out and do some shoveling later on.

Marian

I'm in Arlington, VA and we got 6 inches. I did the cardio portions of CXT Power Circuit & Step/Intervals when I woke up this am. Instead of going to work (liberal leave policy!), I spent the rest of the day making Christmas cookies and lounging on the couch with a good book. My hubby shoveled :). Suzanne

I live in Westchester Cty., NY, and we got about 8 inches so far. Today was my rest day...(Yaaay!!) so I went to work this morning, but was let out early. Home by 12:30, ate lunch and went straight upstairs and watched TV for the rest of the day. Took a nice snooze in between shows, too!! And I don't feel even slightly guilty, cuz I can feel my muscles sore from my Circuit Max workout last night!! We all know that muscles benefit most from a day of rest...lol...

Snow,WHAT'S THAT???!!:-hmmm Down here on the coast of Texas we are enjoying what we consider to be cold weather.... 58 degrees. Lots of rain though. I am considering investing in a canoe just to get around the pasture!

Oh well. 73 degrees and sunny here in Scottsdale, AZ! Lucky ducks, you'll probly have a white Christmas. I guess if the sun hits the desert sands just right, it might look like a white one here, too!
Wendy :)

Wendy, you're making me jealous! 73 degrees!!! There's about 6 inches of the COLD white stuff here and still falling (Boston, MA. I had to do Circuit Max tonight to warm me up a bit. ;-)

It worked!
Donna M :)

Hi Lizzie, you must be thinking of someone else. I'm in the other direction! I do remember last summer talking with a bunch of you Philly/S. Jersey people about meeting at Cathe's gym & there is someone that works over there by you but it wasn't me. I wish I could remember--we need to bring her out of the woodwork again!

I can't believe the kids don't have school here again today. My neighborhood is clear & it looks so beautiful! Get those kids back in school!

I'm ready to take the next step! http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/a_smil09.gif

D'oh! You're right... sorry for the mixup! But I knew you lived close by at least. :)

Watched the snow fall ALL DAY yesterday through my office window (NYC). Trudged home to plop on the couch only to have my husband (housebound w/broken ankle) say to me.. "A kid came by and asked if we wanted our walk, path and driveway shoveled. I told him NO!" UGH so out I went after my hour long commute to shovel. Took the dog, made it fun and kept telling myself - this has GOT to be burning some calories! HA!!!! Always looking for the positive side of things!

Hope all weathered the storm well.

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen!

Sorry to hear about your hubby. :-( Are you still teaching your classes & if so, how are they going? I bet you burned tons of calories shoveling!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: What is Diet Swiss Miss ?.....

I am intrigued 1?!??

News about the US snow is all over the UK news, so I can't sympathise because it is very dry and freezing cold here in the UK, though it has been predicted the UK will have a white Christmas - yeah, right, they say this every year ! :-rollen !

Hey Donna - how did hubby get on with clearing the walkway ? Was he out there an hour ?

Even if you didn't shovel the walkway today, just think how many calories are burnt shivering ?!?! :D

Wrap up warm everyone - I always envisaged being snowed in to be quite romantic ! Snuggling by an open fire and all that ! ;-)

Thinking of you,

Anna :)

RE: What is Diet Swiss Miss ?.....

Hi Anna,

Diet Swiss Miss is sugar-free hot cocoa. Nice low cal way to sooth a chocolate craving.

I did get lots of cuddles yesterday...from my 2 kids though...not hubby ;)

~~ Sharon ~~

Wow :-wow Marian, I can just imagine snow in NYC, I bet it is beautiful. DH and I were there in July for a short break, and it was so humid, we could hardly breathe !!!!!!! What a contrast !

Anna :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.