1st 10k finished!!!!

spyrosmom

Cathlete
1 hour, 2 minutes, 2 seconds. Not too bad. I finished pretty much in the middle of the thing. Its billed as the toughest 10k in the Midwest, so might as well start with a bang, right?

OMG, the hills!!!!! We started on a long, shallow hill that then flattened out (one I had never run before) then some flat and some other hills I was used to. When I saw the 3 mile mark I was like "YAY!!! halfway there" and I was at 29 mins, not too bad. I finished my 5k last fall around 32 or 33 minutes, If I remember correctly.

At about 4 miles there was the biggest frickin' longest steepest mountain I've ever seen, and I have never ran it before. I have to much stubbornness in me to stop, though, especially when there are other people around. Good timing, though bc the tune on my Ipod changed at the same time and it was Jay-z "99 problems" Yeah, its a rather crude song, but I just changed the lyrics in my head "I got 99 problems but this HILL ain't one" Up, up, up. Then we hit another flat spot, a short down hill, a short up hill and it was on to the last mile, and I was getting tired. I was quite happy to see the 5 mile mark.

The last bit was flat, and I could see the finish line, but I swear someone kept moving it backward. The song changed again and "Living Dead Girl" by Rob Zombie came on. That's about how I felt at that time. My Ipod apparently has a sense of humor.

And then I was done. When I crossed the clock said 1:02:02. Not sure what the official time is, but somewhere in that neighborhood. I ran the whole thing, and the only time I really wanted to stop was the hill at mile 4, but I have a very hard time starting again once I stop, so its easier to keep on going. I quite happy with my time, and I finished (not last!). There's an 8k downtown in May for Easter Seals, and I think I may sign up for that too.

I got a rather nice hoodie out of the deal, and DH is taking me for dinner tonight. :) My SIL switched to the 5k this morning instead of the full 10, they started after us, and I passed her up just before the finish line. She run/walked it, and I'm not sure exactly of her time, but when I finished the 5k sign was around 45 mins, and she finished maybe 5 mins after that, so I very proud of her, too. She promptly declared she will not be doing it again. Will see what we can do about that ;)

So thanks for listening, and thanks for all the support.

Nan

Congratulations Nan!

That's quite a decent time! I can only hope for such good time as that when I do mine in October! Hills are killer! I'm going to start training for mine through downtown Providence on College Hill. When you get to the bottom at Main Street and turn around, you're staring straight up a really steep, long hill! Not sure at what mile that is from my house, but I'm going to find out soon!

Fantastic work on your first 10K! Keep at your SIL, she'll change her mind!

It was all the excitement and fun of going to all of my DH's races that got me thinking about trying running again last year and here I am!

It's nice to have someone to run with!

What an experience for you! Keep up the great work! When's your first half marathon?

Nice Job!!! I've done 2 10Ks in my life...one last year and one 30 some years ago:eek::eek: I have one coming up the first weekend of June...but mine doesn't have the hills yours did :D

Congrats and to many more!

Good for you!!! That is just wonderful. High fives all around. How long did you train for it?

Didn't do a whole lot of "real" training. Almost 2 yrs into this running business and I'm still learning to like it :p I pretty much didn't run from Nov to mid-Jan due to the weather. I could've gone out in Nov, but really wasn't feelin' the love for running. I started up again in mid-Jan when the weather would allow running from 3-5 miles at a time. The 1st trip out I think I did 3, bc I hadn't been out in a while. Thru Jan and early Feb, I just went out when the weather was cooperating. Mid Feb thru now I made sure I got out at least once during the week for anywhere btwn 3-5 miles, depending on the weather, and then 6 or 7 miles on Sat or Sun. I hadn't run at all this week, except last Sun I did 6 miles. I did STS D3 last Mon instead of yesterday - OUCH!!! Walking was interesting enough for a couple days, running sure as heck wasn't going to happen.

So, no real training. I just made sure I laced up my sneaks and went a couple times a week. I also just signed up for the 8k downtown on 05/08. Its a hilly one, too. I'm moving somewhere flat!

Nan

Congratulations! What a wonderful accomplishment. I have always been in awe of runners because I just look and feel like a bumbling idiot.

By the way, how was dinner?

Annette

Congratulations Nan!! Awesome acomplishment!!! I have some pretty crude music on my ipod and I change the words . . . for some reason when I want to quit running something by T.I. comes on and the beat just keeps me going . . . even if I block the words out!! LOL!

Congratulations again!! You inspire me!!

Your first 10K, and you chose the "toughest 10K in the Midwest"?
You go, girl!
Congrats on your accomplishment!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.