Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/17

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday. No agility class either. Just a rest day for me. We did do some errands and I shoveled the front porch and steps..:).

Valerie, I never had the Star Link system on my cars. Now that makes sense on how they knew about your tire. Yes, kettlebell workouts are really different, the variety is why I got started on them. Just some different way to do weights.

Diane Sue, I agree on the "Big Brother" watching, however I guess if you had a breakdown somewhere there wasn't a close place to get fixed, it could be useful. I don't like the cost though. I haven't looked at the Polar site in a long time for straps. They probably discontinued the hard one. I don't like those moves in KB workouts where the KB slams back on the top of your wrist....like you mentioned, not only bruises, but if you are wearing a HRM watch or FitBit, watch out!

Carolyn, you hit it right...Cathe Live is so refreshing....nice to see "regular" people like us doing workouts at their own pace, or modifying etc when they need to.

Waving to Lori & Judy,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 75 minute Spinerval. I need to do a few more indoor rides before the end of the year so I can reach the mileage goal that I set. The last couple of years it's been a lower goal than in the past since I have cut back on spinning and have been doing more Cathe, KCM & Jessica Smith workouts.

Deb-We don't have any travel plans for the holidays this year. We will probably do some shopping and go out to eat and maybe work on some more projects around the condo.

Diane Sue -The only kettlebell workouts I've done are KCM's. Mine aren't very heavy. I have a pair of 5's and 12's that are the larger, smooth ones and then a 9 and a 13 that are the smaller, rougher ones. I prefer the smaller ones as they are easier for me to do the swings with.

Valerie-I need to do a Costco run this week too. They are so crazy busy around here there is no way I will go there on a weekend, especially this close to Christmas.

Lori-I also feel like I need more than a 30 minute workout most days. For WS3, doing one of her 30 minute workouts and adding one of the 15 minute fixes can be a pretty good workout.

Carolyn-Great job with the WS3 Lower Body workout! I agree about Cathe, she is so motivating and I never get bored doing her workouts. I've learned that I need to modify in order to be able to keep working out the way I want to. I'm determined not to get injured again.

Have a great Sunday!

Judy

Deb, agree on starlink. will drop it whenever the free period is up. The notification on the dash is a great safety feature. Tire didn’t look or drive like a flat but would have been disappointing to wake up to. :( DH had time to jack it up while still partly inflated. luckily we were almost home when the warning lite came on. Much easier to change a tire in the garage than roadside.

Between the tricep supersets and RS yesterday, I’m pretty achy this morning. Nothing specific but overall. seems like no matter how consistent I am, anything different makes me achy. Except core work. I’ve done several core workouts weekly now for a long time and haven’t gotten sore in ages.
Maybe Total body metabolic today. Rainy for the next few days so no outdoor workouts likely.

Judy some Costco locations are insanely busy. Ours has a slack time mid afternoon, weekdays, from about 2 to 3:30. Still busy but not crazy. can be good even normal weekends at that time, but probably not this weekend. always crazy busy right after they open. I guess I’m the only one here without any kettlebells.

Last edited:
Today is my rest day. Today my son is back helping with work on the room. He did the boxes and wiring to move the fan/ light, switches, and put lights in the closet. They are doing the harder portion of the wallboard today as it is off the outside of the overhang of the loft room. It has to be done on scaffolding. More of a two person job. Bank and shopping tomorrow and clean up of some of this work mess. I think my granddaughter 17 will be coming to stay for a couple of days while doing finals before Christmas vacation.

Deb, I have put a terry head band around my wrist, wrapped multiple times for some protection. If I remember right KCM's Slim Sculpting has a mix with no overhead stuff which is nice with the kettlebells. I was surprised at how many premixes is on that dvd. Still, I like the kettle bells. They have there pluses and drawbacks.

Judy, good luck with your goal on the spin bike. I haven't wet any goals in a long time. Maybe it would motivate me more :) I purchased my lightest kettlebell when a friend got me Kettlenetics with Michelle Khai for my birthday. I like the workout, but there was no way I was swinging the heavier bell that I had at 15# around like she does in this cardio workout. So, my lightest is a 10# and I think she uses a 4#. Here is a link
I have some TRX/ Kettelbell combination workouts that I really like, but do not have my X mount in the ceiling for the TRX , so I never do them. I also have a Lauren Brooks that has the option of the TRX with double kettlebells. My husband has always been reluctant to have me hanging from the ceiling for some reason :) When he was in Afghanistan I had my son hook it up for me. It was a newer house though with larger sturdier boards in the ceiling to hang from. I don't like using it hooked to the door. It is too hard for some of the TRX moves. Yoga with the TRX is quite challenging for balance. If you can imagine one foot elevated in the TRX while in a crescent pose :) Same with pikes with feet elevated in the TRX. I really would love to be able to go back to using it.

Valerie, I swear, vehicles have more warning messages and codes than ever before. The computer systems make it hard for individuals to do even minor repairs on their own vehicles anymore. I used to get warnings on tire pressure when I lived in the city my youngest daughter lives in. I finally learned to just get out and look for the nail or screw in the tire. They are still building out there constantly. I have replaced so many tires because the nails end up at the edge of the tire where they won't repair the tire. Another complaint I have is a lot of the time the tires that are available do not match the rest of my tires and they want to sell me 4 tires instead of just the one. I am not real pleased with vehicles and repairs and computer systems right now. Maybe I will appreciate them more someday, or not! I rarely feel any soreness from core work. It just doesn't happen anymore. Even when I change to something that I think is new and more difficult. I felt my triceps the other day after doing KCM Build and Burn Trim and Tone with the 10's. I found that interesting.

No workout for me today. I finished my Christmas shopping and wrapped a few gifts. We love beautifully wrapped gifts under the tree! My youngest daughter spends a lot of time making the boxes look just right. I like doing it too, but not at the last minute.

I have never used a kettlebell, but I like doing the swings using a dumbbell. Daughter number 2 loves them. She started using it with her trainer and is very comfortable doing kettlebell workouts. There are a few on the Chris Freytag’s gethealthyu site with Amy Dixon and with Chris that I might try. I received Build and Burn yesterday. I didn’t want to wait to get it as a gift. I plan to start with it tomorrow.

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.

Carolyn, I have even got out that much of my Christmas stuff. I doubt at this point we will even get a tree. We have been so busy with the add on room and other activities that the focus is elsewhere. I did some stuff with the grandchildren and have my gifts all wrapped. The 3 year old keeps wanting me to open them and says Christmas is not here for a long time. I am comfortable with the Kettlebells that I have. Amy Bento Ross uses Kettlebells quite a lot. I have her workouts where she uses two of them. She goes pretty heavy.

Total body metabolic done and recorded. I wore the Polar chest strap. surprised at how high my heart rate was for this. rate went up and down a lot, max of 145, which for me is good. 120-140 for the whole thing. DH keeps telling me these kind of workouts aren't "aerobic". he is a nag ( sorry but he is) and wants me to spin or use the elliptical, which I do sometimes. I get bored doing the same thing all the time, and this is getting my rate up and keeping it there. my HR goes up and down with each exercise, but I was pleased I was working hard enough. movement with mid range weight does the job.
diane sue we expect to change our own tires. getting the tire repaired needs a tire shop. we had one of those punctures last year in the edge of the tread. fixed it at one place but when we wanted to put the tires back on in spring, another shop said it was not safe to mount. the tires had a lot of miles on them so we bought 4 new ones. would have been upsetting if the tires were closer to new.
Wth AWD, you gt nailed because it messes with the AWD system if one tire is new and 3 have significant mileage. at least we're told that.
yes, the light goes on saying "low tire" but it doesn't say which one. we were about 1 mile from home so glanced at tires, could not see anything wrong so kept going. measured pressure when home, and one was a little lower so we let it go for a few hours but it kept losing air. that's when dh jacked it up and put the tire in my car to take to the tire place. we were considering new tires for my car but he was told they were not needed. tires have good tread left but they are old. bought in 2006, and tire rubber ages over time even if the tread is still good.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Yesterday I did Cathe Live Strong Total Body. 46 minutes, 231 calories. I had to get my "Live" fix. :)

Judy, that's great that you have a mileage goal for spinning. I am sure you will reach it easily.

Valerie, we do get a symbol on the dash that one of the tires is low on air, even the donut spare. It doesn't tell you anything more than that though. Like Diane Sue mentioned, no matter how much you work out, even one little change in an exercise can cause Doms. We went to B.J's yesterday, ( just like Cosco) and it wasn;t too bad. I think Metabolic workouts are interval type, which is a form of aerobics....right?

Diane Sue, that room will be so nice when it's completed! I didn't know there were different types of K-bells. I have a 15 and a 10 pound one...they are both smooth. They do not look like the ones in the clip you posted...the handles are more attached to the top, not the sides, if that makes sense. I have a couple Lauren Brooks DVD's, but they are not motivating to me at all....pretty boring. I would like a more upbeat one with good music, but did not ever research them I like KCM's style. We don't have a tree either....the only thing I did was put a wreath on the door, and set up the dining room table with a poinsettia.

Carolyn, great that you finished your shopping.

Hi to Lori

Puppy class this morning....and a workout....

Take care,

We haven't done a tree in decades. I have a large Ficus indoor plant, a tree really, we used to decorate. with balls and garland it looked like an evergreen. lately though we just put a wreath on the door and let it go at that. I don't enjoy this holiday and just try to get thru without too much difficulty. yes, I'm a bit of a scrooge.

I think there's something about the supersets, the focus on one muscle group, that gets me sore. nothing bad, but I can clearly tell what part was worked the day before.

I keep thinking I've read interval cardio was better for fitness than steady state cardio, so I like to do some of each. I was surprised at how much and how quickly my HR went up when 5,8,10 lb weights got added in. It drops quickly in the rest gap between exercises. I never used a HRM with that type of workout before. if I monitor it was usually steady state cardio.

This morning I did Build and Burn Cardio Core, 28 minutes, 185 calories, heart rate average 127, max, 176, 1,908 steps. I then did Build and Burn Upper Super Sets, 29 minutes, 125 calories, heart rate average 107, max 143, 813 steps. 310 calories total, 57 minutes.

Deb, I was digging in the garage last night and found a box of Christmas stuff that I have not see since we moved. It made me happy because there was the ribbon wreath my granddaughters and I made together one year and a nativity set that my family painted when my children were young and my son had used his little wood working set to make the stable. He even glued wood shavings in the bottom to look sort of like straw :D I kept wondering what had happened to it because I generally always kept it in the house. Lauren Brook does not have much of a personality. I have a couple of hers. I have Kettlebell Goddess, but it is somewhat boring and has no music. Art of Strength has some good ones. I have 4 of those. Amy Bento Ross has several. Enjoy puppy class today :)

An incredibly awful Amtrak wreck here this morning. With the train going off an overpass onto the freeway Pictures are stunninglyawful.

Valerie, that is terrible about the Amtrak train wreck. I have not had the news on today so have not seen it yet. I usually enjoy having grandchildren over to help decorate and have goodies etc.. We have done crafts and made decorations over the years. I just haven't felt it this year so much. The little ones helped put out some stuff and decorate inside my glass topped coffee table and a few things. I am still dragging through this virus that I had. I am left with the non stop coughing and headache. I ordered some mediterranean oregano oil capsules to try. I have done this before and it seemed to knock the bronchial stuff out. I don't think all of the saw dust and wall board dust is helping things, plus there is a lot of extra clean up and work involved. I passed by some Norfolk pines in the store and thought about picking one up. I didn't though. It would probably die soon after I bought it.

Judy, 75 minutes on a spin bike is strong work. You are really good at long spins. what kind of goal have you set for yourself?

We were debating what we were doing for xmas this year since the cousin who's coming is having some health issues. may or may not get here. Just yesterday SIL invited us to her place south of Portland. they were just here in Nov so I didn't think we would go, but DH thought it was a good chance to get a change in scenery. so much for that! The train going off the bridge onto the interstate is going to be an issue for a while. considering how awful it looks, it is surprising death toll is as low as it is. Interstate southbound is closed. no good routes around. will Drive is usually fairly awful on holidays anyway, so a good reason to take a pass on visiting them.

My goal is to work out 6 days a week. I've been hitting that much of the time lately so will work on increasing intensity or length too. no specific goal in mind. I have doubled down on WW too since I am not losing. weight is stable, at least not gaining. the new program works differently. I made some butternut squash soup that previously came to 5 points, now 1. I don't want to re enter everything, but that was a pleasant surprise.

This morning I did Build and Burn Cardio Core. My time was 27 minutes with 177 calories burned. Average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate 149. I followed that with WS3 Barefoot Cardio Core for 32 minutes. I burned 183 calories with that one. Average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate 156.

Valerie, I saw that horrible train derailment on the news earlier. The pictures are awful.

Diane Sue, we both did Cardio Core today with similar results! I hope you can get some relief from the coughing soon.

We are putting up our larger Christmas tree today. I delayed it for as long as possible since it means rearranging my workout area.

Hello to Judy, Deb, and Lori.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 1 hour Spinerval. Today is a rest day. We had a couple of appointments to go to this morning and I had a dental cleaning this afternoon. I plan on starting back up with WS3 tomorrow. That is so horrible about the train derailment.

Deb-I like KCM's style for kettlebells too. I haven't tried any others.

Diane Sue-Thanks for the video link. That looks like a good workout. The TRX looks challenging. I've never used one but they have one at the Anytime Fitness that we go to. I'm sorry about the cough and headache :( I hope you feel better soon.

Valerie-thank you! My mileage goal for this year is 1500, and I have about 50 miles to go. That's the lowest I've done in several years. I think I'm going to try to get back up to 2000 miles or more in 2018.

Carolyn-that's a great combination! I think Build & Burn works well with WS3.

Hi to Lori!

Judy

An incredibly awful Amtrak wreck here this morning. With the train going off an overpass onto the freeway Pictures are stunninglyawful.

Valerie...I immediately thought of you when I saw this on the news this afternoon. So terrible.

Been keeping up with some great workouts. Just insanely busy with work and upcoming holidays. I am paying for my recent travels!!!!

I will read posts and respond tomorrow. Hope all are doing well!

Carolyn, yes, we did get close results from cardio core. I don't know why I get a crazy high max once in awhile. I did not feel like I worked in the 176 max range though.

Valerie, I saw pictures of the Amtrak wreck on facebook and on the news this evening. It really is amazing there was not more deaths. How awful and frightening it must have been for those people involved.

Judy, I saw some TRX hanging in Orange Theory when we went in to check them out. That Kettlenetics kettlebell workout is fun. It is more cardio and core based and is around 43 minutes or has a premix that is shorter. I thought I saw the 20 minute mix on you tube before.

Lori, I hope things lighten up for you at work soon.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I did go help teach the puppy class, but that would not count.

Valerie, I saw the reports on that train wreck. That is horrible. The latest this morning said that the train was going 80 in a 30 mph zone. I have read over the years that interval ( HIIT ) is better than steady state cardio. I like interval training better, not as boring. Even my treadmill workouts are interval based. When will you be leaving for Portland?

Diane Sue, that is so nice that you found that box of Christmas stuff. I believe I have Art of Strength...is that the guy on the roof top? I don;t know if I could swing that KB the way they are doing in that clip. I could see it flying out of my hand and hitting the mirror or something. Of course theirs is only 4 pounds, not 10 or 15..:)...I saw oregano oil in the health food store yesterday when I was getting more lavender oil, and wondered what it was used for. Now I know. :).

Carolyn, how many trees do you put up?

Judy, wow, 1500 miles is quite an accomplishment!

Lori, I hope things slow down for you at work this week.

Class this morning with Kylee....

Take care,

We will get more details today about the wreck. We had already decided not to drive to Portland area to see SIL/BIL, but this would have decided for us anyway. It will be awful going southbound because there are no good alternative routes in this location. will be a massive effort to get this fixed ASAP but the NTSB people need to evaluate and give clearance first before the clean up. It was the first time a train ran on a new route so something was horribly wrong. it looks like it was too fast for the location but wonder how such an obviously huge mistake got made? there was a crew and they survived.

Yesterday I did a 40 min spin then MM biceps. considering how supersets work, I didn't push the weight. used 12's and 10's. I feel it today. supersets are terrific for me. I get slightly sore so I know I did the right amount of work, but not too much so I dread doing it again.
Judy we like to keep track of the overall mileage on road bikes. when the battery runs down, the computer lets you to transfer mileage forward to keep a running total. our mt bike computers don't work that way, and you lose the data when battery is replaced. I haven't paid attention to the spin bike. I've focused on time. there isn't a way to separate DH's data from mine anyway.

Last edited:
Today I did Ripped with Hiit Low Impact Hiit one both 1&2 combined mix 2, 50 minutes, 359 calories, heart rate average 135, max 175, 3,650 steps. Tomorrow, unless something comes up, I plan on doing Build and Burn Kettlebell and kickbox and tabata legs. Either each or a premix. This depends on time and how much I get done around here. I may have to go out today or tomorrow.

Deb, wild mediterranean oil is the best to get and it has anti viral and antibiotic principles. It depends on what it is used for whether you would use it externally or internally. Art of Strength is the one with the guy on the roof top, which is probably Providence. There is another that Ihave that is on a street side walk, Newport, I believe. There is one that is a bit easier where he works with a woman Beth Chamberlain who does easier versions with lighter weight and is one of my favorites. It is called The Kettlebell Way or Empire State. You can even go through these and pick which rounds that you would rather do. I have a collection of them. Empire Ste Has two dvds. I think it is the one that the second dvd has a tough sequence called "man maker" and also a mobility workout that is a nice stretch and mobility workout that uses a bit of kettlebell in it.

Valerie, I heard something about the train being the first to do this route or track to shorten the trip from point A to point B. Now they have to investigate.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.