So Confused About What to/What Not to eat

jaypea

Cathlete
I am struggling...
I need your help. You're a super knowledgeable and down-to-earth group, so I'm hopeful to gain some clarity.
I'm 5'1", and I'm a 42-year old pear shape gal whose pear (and stem, and tree) keeps growing.
It's not the exercise. I LOVE to exercise. It makes me feel great. I know the many benefits of it, I workout daily and I make sure to vary my workouts. I've been working out since I was 15. That's when my gym teacher had us do exercise videos during class (yep, we did Cher and Denise Austin videos [emoji3]). I discovered Cathe shortly after that.
It's the eating. I'm SO confused!!!
One thing I do know is I'm an emotional eater, and oh yeah....I have an obsession with cheese. But, as you'll see below, some nutrition articles/books say it's super healthy to eat cheese.
I've read my share of confusing books about diet/nutrition. One says eat carbs, another says to carb cycle, yet another says to stay away from carbs. Eat fruit/don't eat fruit, dairy is great/dairy is the devil, eat breakfast upon waking/don't eat your first meal until after 12 pm, cleanse (never got through a day of Isagenix cleanse...it was HORRID). This list goes on.
See why I'm confused? I'm looking for any nutrition advice/resource that is clear, concise and has worked for you. Any recommendations?
Thank you so much!
Jen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jen! This was a great place to come. There are a lot of fantastic, knowledgeable gals (and guys) here that I'm sure will have great advice for you. My only qualification is that I've been where you are. So...until they get here, :) I'll chime in with what worked for me, but with the disclaimer that I'm not a nutritionist. (I am a fellow cheese lover though!!) :) My issue has been mostly hormonal, I think. I was hungry ALL THE TIME and couldn't get satisfied even though I was physically full. Recently, the only thing that has helped me get that under control and start losing weight again has been intermittent fasting. There are a lot of approaches but I like the methods of Dr. Bert Herring (Fast 5) and Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat. Both have helped me immensely with getting insulin levels and cravings under control. And, I feel like that way of eating gives me a little more flexibility in WHAT I eat (cheese!).
In my opinion, however, there are many approaches that can work (low carb/high fat; carb cycling; intuitive eating; IIFYM; intermittent fasting; etc.). Finding the one that works for YOU is the key. It's almost like undergoing a science experiment. It's only going to work if you will be able to stick with it long term, so my advice would be to start with a way of eating that appeals to you and approach it like an experiment. Record what you eat, how you feel, how much sleep you're getting, etc. and give it 3-4 weeks minimum for your body to respond. After you've given it enough time, analyze your results and tweak it, or if you really feel that way of eating isn't a good fit for your body or you're not responding well to it, try something else. Just try to stick with it long enough to see how your body responds. I do highly recommend looking into intermittent fasting as an option. It's tough at first, but has worked well for me. I'm sure you'll get some great advice here. I'll be interested in what is said too. Good luck to you!!

Its complicated for women, because of our hormones and what part of our life we are in, such as if we are childbearing, or heading into peri or later when we are menopausal. I believe as I have aged that certain things work and others just plain fail depending on what part of life you are in, its way easier for men. I believe the low-fat idea of the past 20 or more years was an abysmal failure, not only for women but everyone in general, because fat is what our hormones depends on, and hormones basically run the body (starting with the thyroid).

For me, I never did follow that low-fat, low-cholesterol dogma, maybe that is why I sailed through peri and meno. My worst periods of my life is when I was a younger mother and the kids loved, pizza, breads and lasagna, I used to bake fresh every day and realized that carbs for me was ruinous. I stopped eating carbs way back before it was fashionable.

The best thing you can start with is removing as much refined sugar from your diet as possible. That's from refined carbs, like bread, white rice, potatoes, candy, anything that is processed (including that dreaded rice cake). Do that for a while and see how you feel. Start adding in the good fats when you feel hungry (no seed oils). My diet has been Paleo/Keto...even though I didn't know what keto was a few years back...for years. I also eat only when I'm hungry, that may be difficult for someone that has a family, but I am a believer in intermittent fasting. If you are new to that, its easier to stop eating in the early evening and try to go for 12 to 16 hours before you eat again next day. You aren't starving yourself, but using up all the excess sugar (carbs) and the liver now starts to produce ketones for energy.

Do some research on Keto and Paleo, I dislike calling them *diets*, to me its a lifestyle and I prefer this way of eating, although its a pain when I go to a restaurant.

Its complicated for women, because of our hormones and what part of our life we are in, such as if we are childbearing, or heading into peri or later when we are menopausal. I believe as I have aged that certain things work and others just plain fail depending on what part of life you are in, its way easier for men. I believe the low-fat idea of the past 20 or more years was an abysmal failure, not only for women but everyone in general, because fat is what our hormones depends on, and hormones basically run the body (starting with the thyroid).

For me, I never did follow that low-fat, low-cholesterol dogma, maybe that is why I sailed through peri and meno. My worst periods of my life is when I was a younger mother and the kids loved, pizza, breads and lasagna, I used to bake fresh every day and realized that carbs for me was ruinous. I stopped eating carbs way back before it was fashionable.

The best thing you can start with is removing as much refined sugar from your diet as possible. That's from refined carbs, like bread, white rice, potatoes, candy, anything that is processed (including that dreaded rice cake). Do that for a while and see how you feel. Start adding in the good fats when you feel hungry (no seed oils). My diet has been Paleo/Keto...even though I didn't know what keto was a few years back...for years. I also eat only when I'm hungry, that may be difficult for someone that has a family, but I am a believer in intermittent fasting. If you are new to that, its easier to stop eating in the early evening and try to go for 12 to 16 hours before you eat again next day. You aren't starving yourself, but using up all the excess sugar (carbs) and the liver now starts to produce ketones for energy.

Do some research on Keto and Paleo, I dislike calling them *diets*, to me its a lifestyle and I prefer this way of eating, although its a pain when I go to a restaurant.

Thank you, DirtDiva. I will look into intermittent fasting (I see people taking about this often). My friend, who sells Isagenix, keeps talking about intermittent fasting. I thought it was a ploy to buy her products. I'm sure there is a way to do it without specific products. I'm on it.

Hi Jen,

I know what you mean about all the information out there. It gets overwhelming. I concur with sneakers in that you have to find what works for YOU. Also, like dirtdiva said, give a new way of eating some time to determine how your body responds. That being said, what has worked for me is to keep a food diary on a website that lets you see how many carbs, proteins, fats, (etc.) that you eat. Writing it down helped me see that I was eating way too many carbs and not enough protein. Once I balanced them out, I was not as hungry all the time.

Best,

Beth

I am also similar height/shape/age as yourself. I've tried many different eating plans over the years and also twice have tried different workout approaches while keeping my diet the same. The conclusion I have reached through trial and error is that diet definitely is key. I exercise for heart health, to keep me active, its endorphin release, and to help keep me strong as I get older.

I agree with the above posts. I did not find that eating many small meals all day increased my metabolism. It gave me "permission" all day to eat more which did not help my fat zones. For me, the sad reality is that I age I cannot eat as much as I did when I was younger. I too have found that Intermittent Fasting even a few times a week was helpful. Another big key was to decrease sugars and more specifically sugars in the form of refined sugars found in simple carbs like bread, flour, pasta etc not just the obvious sugars in candy, pastries, desserts. The other thing I found to be helpful was eating only when hungry and to try to include a protein source at every meal which helps with satiety. The human body is a smart thing, it'll tell you what it needs. I feel so much better inside and out when my diet is focused mostly on lean protein, veggies, fruits and nuts. I also still eat cheese and Greek yogurt. I also still allow myself to eat things like pizza or a dessert on occasion because I still enjoy these foods and life is too short to live in a state of deprivation.

I have read alot of IF books and one I read recently that was really good was called The Obesity Code. There is alot of information online about IF without the need to purchase or read lengthy books though. When I first started IF, I would eat whatever I wanted when it was time to eat. That did not work for me. I still need to cut out refined sugars and eat when hungry/stop when full to feel good and see fat loss. This was more vital to my success than even the fasting component.

Last edited:

The best thing you can start with is removing as much refined sugar from your diet as possible. That's from refined carbs, like bread, white rice, potatoes, candy, anything that is processed (including that dreaded rice cake). Do that for a while and see how you feel. Start adding in the good fats when you feel hungry (no seed oils).

As usual, excellent advice! I have never been where you are, shape or weight wise, but I believe as we age this advice works for all of us. I think you'll be shocked and amazed what a difference you'll see once you get the sugar and processed food out of your diet. Good fats, whole grains and protein are what I focus on, and I've seen such a difference in muscle mass and leanness.

I also sailed through menopause. I've never known why I had such an easy time of it compared to so many women, but this could be part of the equation. I think the other part of the equation is exercise. We all have that part down pat! :)

Thanks for this thread. I have been very interested in all your great comments. :)

It is not easy! :eek: But I think there is super advice here if we do the work to follow it. And I like hearing it repeatedly so that I can continue to strengthen my resolve. I too am a shorter pear shaped gal who loves to exercise. And I, like many of you, have found that cutting out the sugars and refined carbs is the foundational secret of success. This includes alcohol for me as well.

I think that lean protein (at each meal and snack), lots and lots of veggies, fruit (yes, I find I need and enjoy fruit and will not cut this out), along with Greek yogurt and some cheese in moderation all make me feel good and perform at my best level. And, like Stacy, I still indulge once in a while, because life is very bound up with food as part of socializing/celebrating. I just try not to eat the cheat foods when I am alone and not make them part of my daily eating. As awesome food writer Michael Pollan says in only 7 words: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants". (And we all know that Pop Tarts, Fruit Loops and Hamburger Helper are not 'food'! ;))

I think that what one chooses for their own routine depends partly on body type. I liked what Tom Venuto has to say about this in 'Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle'. He feels that endomorphs (me included!) can't typically get away with much bread, pasta, cereal, etc. But different bodies handle food differently. And, as Dirt Diva said, stage of life is huge as well. I had to face the reality that at 57 I can't eat the same way I did at 27!

And I also think that choosing our nutrition path depends on our goals. I am not preparing for a fitness competition or trying to get my percent body fat down below 19%. So for me, I can have a little cheese and some fruit, or some low fat granola mixed into my yogurt. Starting by picking realistic goals and knowing your body can help when making those oh so hard decisions.

Thank you all SO much!!! What great, practical advice! I have a few books in my amazon cart...just waiting to receive my new debit card since dh left it in an ATM (that's another story for another day[emoji6]). I'll follow up with results. I am on day 2 of journaling what I eat on mfp.
Jen

The emotional eating part of things is definitely something you need to work through. I am not one to do any kind of fasting as I had an eating disorder in the past and it was torture for me during those years. But I do agree about dropping the sugar and refined/ processed foods. Personally I don't agree with avoiding certain food groups unless there's an allergy or sensitivity and I happen to have to avoid gluten myself. It's really just clean eating and taking in enough to support muscle growth. Im 50 and post menopause, eat more than I have in the past yet wear a smaller clothing size than I ever have which I attribute mainly to the clean eating along with love of my workouts. Good luck and hope you find what works for you
Jamie

I have read alot of IF books and one I read recently that was really good was called The Obesity Code. There is alot of information online about IF without the need to purchase or read lengthy books though. When I first started IF, I would eat whatever I wanted when it was time to eat. That did not work for me. I still need to cut out refined sugars and eat when hungry/stop when full to feel good and see fat loss. This was more vital to my success than even the fasting component.

Yes, Dr. Jason Fung (author of The Obesity Code) is fantastic! I second that recommendation. He offers a lot of free information on-line as well.

Could not agree more with what has been advised above. I agree Jane @Jane Power-Grimm , our body was set up to consume less calories as we grow old. It is actually proven. Many do not know that, especially sedentary folks.

Getting to the bottom of emotional eating could help overcome the eating cycle. What triggers the emotional eating?
That is my 2 cents!

Last edited:
I could've written your post myself. I love string cheese and eat it almost every day. I exercise at least 5 days per week and have been doing it without fail since I was in my late 20's. I'm not necessarily confused about food, but I don't focus too much on it because it makes me crazy! I hate counting calories and planning and logging every little thing about what I eat. I just won't do it, which is probably why I have some extra weight to lose, even though I am fit.

We all know there is no 'one size fits all' solution that works for everyone. If there were, we wouldn't be an overweight nation. The food industry doesn't want us to figure it out either and they keep pushing us to poison ourselves. It's a lot easier to find the potato chips in the grocery store than it is to find fresh seeds and nuts.

I have to agree with sneakers on the recommendation of intermittent fasting. I did this a while back and then stopped doing it....not sure why since I felt a whole lot better. I've been back on the IF wagon for a couple of weeks now and I love it! I'm an ALL IN or ALL OUT kind of girl, so Hiit training and IF work for me.....I can get in, get it done, and then be done! I can already feel the difference in my energy level and I can feel the mental clarity as well. I find that when I fast only twice per week and eat whatever I want on the other days, including pizza and beer, I don't typically go overboard like I used to. My cravings no longer dictate what I eat like they used to.....salty to sweet to salty to sweet. Ack! That roller coaster is enough to drive a person nuts! I reset my body with IF and it really isn't that hard b/c there's really no pre-planning involved. I find that I get a LOT done during my fast days b/c keeping busy is the key for me. Before I know it, the fast is over and I've gotten a lot of stuff done:) Plus, when I do eat afterwards, I really don't go overboard b/c I get full quicker. We have been programmed to think "if you don't eat, you'll hang onto that fat b/c you'll go into starvation mode"....blah, blah, blah. I think that garbage advice has been accepted for far too long and look where it has gotten us. We won't starve by not eating for 24 hours! Our bodies weren't formulated to have constant food (like we do today) hence the obesity epidemic we are seeing. I am not a diet person at all.....which is why this plan works for me. If you want more information on what I do, check out "the fast diet" book. I hate the title of the book b/c it's not really a diet, but it is an interesting book and the concepts work for me. To sum it up, you just fast for 24 hours 2 days per week. During that fast you are allowed 500 calories of low glycemic food in either one or two sittings (whichever you choose). I eat my single meal just prior to the end of my fast b/c that's what works for me, but you can do whatever works for you. So far, I've eaten the same fast meal on my fast days b/c I don't have to think about it or pre-plan it. I'm all about ease. I'm also finding that working out on an empty stomach has been great as well. I feel like I'm getting leaner and I have lots of energy during my workout, which is something I didn't really expect. Still learning........after all these years!!

Give it a try and see how it goes. Some folks work up to the full 24 hour fast by mastering shorter fasts first and slowly adding in more time as you get used to it. It does get easier. I used to do the 16 hour fasts and those were beneficial as well. You can always give it a shot and tweek it to suit you as you go. Hope this helps!

I agree with all the info out there it can be very confusing. You may want to look up Jade Teta online and check out some of his stuff. He's an extremely knowledgeable person. He can educate you on metabolism, dealing with our hormones, and keeping your HEC (hunger, energy, cravings) in check. I've learned a lot from him. Wanted to toss this out there. :)

I agree with all the info out there it can be very confusing. You may want to look up Jade Teta online and check out some of his stuff. He's an extremely knowledgeable person. He can educate you on metabolism, dealing with our hormones, and keeping your HEC (hunger, energy, cravings) in check. I've learned a lot from him. Wanted to toss this out there. :)

I actually have his book, Lose Weight Here. I reread most of it this morning. Thank you for this suggestion.

Regarding the food industry and poison (mainly glyphosate and other pesticide residue in foods) we are surrounded and immersed in chemicals, more then 75,000 chemicals and many have never been proven safe. One topic that is glaringly vital is clean water. If one doesn't use a reverse osmosis system or alkaline unit, you are ingesting a myriad of chemicals, farming chemicals and those chemicals added by our government...chlorine and fluoride are two that are very concerning. Fluoride can only be removed with RO , its damage on the body is insidious and a true poison. In short, its a halide that competes with iodine, which eventually causes problems with the thyroid by displacing iodine, its calcifies the pineal gland, decreases mental clarity basically lowering the IQ by 10 percent (lets think of our kids) and unfortunately its a cumulative affect. That is only the tip of the iceberg.

Add to that medical prescriptions, air and transportation pollution, hazardous landfill sites that have been hidden from the public and are leaking in our water. I am still aghast what DuPont has done to the rivers. What I'm getting to is, if you don't detox the body, the body will put this *crap* in a safe spot...and that is adipose tissue (fat). The human body adapts to its environment quite readily, sometimes that certain person who tries everything but can't lose a significant amount, and I'm not talking about vanity pounds could have another variable to look at.

Edit, forgot to add that I think the body holds onto excess fat because it needs the fat to store that toxic load safely.

Last edited:

Thanks for the link!

Ok, so I've read A LOT these past few days. I'm actually trying IF now, for the second day. Paleo makes sense to me, as far as what I eat. Jade Teta has great advice, like listening to the body and paying attention to hunger, energy and cravings. Just that alone helped me not constantly eat. The info from Jason Fung is great too. I always thought fasting would have a detrimental effect, but according to numerous studies, it offers benefits. Thank you again for the helpful info. It just helps to know science backs up the fact that I do not have to eat ALL the time. I won't starve.

I have been following Jade Teta for awhile for his nutrition advice - he talks a LOT about eating for the different phases of our lives as women. I really like his style.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.