FEB 2011 Rock Bottoms Rotation

My Rock Bottoms Rotation

Ok, here it is. I hesitated to post it because I created 6 weeks, but I only did 5 weeks of it. But I am posting the whole 6 weeks. The reason I wimped out of the last week is that I got so burned out on the walking lunges--I HATED walking lunge days. And I got bored with the BBW even tho as you can see I did things to mix it up. I still got bored with it and wanted more variety. I am actually currently on week 6 and am doing most of it as laid out, but I am not in the mood for doubles this week plus NO WALKING LUNGES.

I also used 10 Minute Solution HIIT as a warm up on walking lunge days. You can warm up anyway you want. Also, when I use "+" that means the workout following it was a double. If I use "followed by" then it was done in the same workout session.

WEEK 1:
Day 1: Muscle Max + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 300 walking lunges
Day 2: Cardio Core Circuit + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by Kickmax Leg drills
Day 3: Supercuts premix 2 + BBW (using Lower Body Blast bonus)
Day 4: Kickmax (no leg drills—those were done on Day 2 to keep my morning workout at an hour) + Cardio Leg Blast
Day 5: Total Body Trisets Upper
Day 6: Butts and Guts w/ bonus lower body and bonus Stability ball abs instead of the abs included in the main workout followed by Xtrain 100 Rep Hip Thrusts
Day 7: rest

WEEK 2:
Day 1: STS Total Body + BBW (using Lower Body Blast bonus)
Day 2: Cross Train Express mix and match: Power Circuits warm up followed by Power Circuits followed by Leaner Legs (no warm up and no abs) + Plyo Legs Disk 26
Day 3: Athletic Step + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 300 walking lunges
Day 4: Athletic Training + BBW (using Xtrain Bonus Barre)
Day 5: 30/30 HIIT followed by Core Max 1
Day 6: Lower Body Blast followed by Xtrain 100 Rep Hip Thrusts

WEEK 3:
Day 1: High Step Training + Total Body Trisets Lower
Day 2: 4DS Kickbox (in its entirety) + BBW (using Xtrain Bonus Barre)
Day 3: One 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by Push Pull + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 300 walking lunges
Day 4: Intensity + BBW (using Lower Body Blast bonus)
Day 5: High Step Challenge
Day 6: Legs and Glutes followed by Xtrain 100 Rep Hip Thrusts

WEEK 4:
Day 1: Flex Train + Lean Legs and Abs
Day 2: Rockout Knockout w/ Heavy Bag bonus + BBW (using Lean Legs and Abs Barre bonus)
Day 3: Great Glutes Extreme premix + Plyo Legs Disk 35
Day 4: Supersets + BBW (using Xtrain Barre Bonus)
Day 5: X10 (premix X77) + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 400 walking lunges
Day 6: Xtrain Legs premix 3 followed by 100 Rep Hip Thrusts

Week 5:
Day 1: Bootcamp + BBW (using Lower Body Blast bonus)
Day 2: Pyramid Lower + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 400 walking lunges
Day 3: Pyramid Upper + BBW (using Xtrain Bonus Barre)
Day 4: Cardio Leg Blast + Slow and Heavy Legs (just warm up, legs and stretch)
Day 5: Turbo Barre Lower Body Express (added in the core section, too)
Day 6: Flex Train followed by Lean Legs & Abs (Timesaver #2 premix) followed by 100 Rep Hip Thrusts

Week 6:
Day 1: High Step Training + Plyo Legs Disk 26
Day 2: Tabatacise premix 5 + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 400 walking lunges
Day 3: Pure Strength Legs + Total Body Trisets Lower
Day 4: Cross Train Express Upper Body Split + All Out Low Impact HIIT
Day 5: Gym Style Legs
Day 6: Muscle Endurance

Last edited:
I'm just bumping this to see if there are any others who survived this rotation and lived to tell about it? I'm considering doing this after I finish STS in four weeks.

Thanks in advance!
Eva

I finished this rotation about 6 weeks ago and it was fantastic. The definition in my but and, frankly, legs (thigh to ankle) was unbelievable. Due to high cholesterol I've been eating really clean since late March 2013 and have lowered my cholesterol and weight significantly; however, I still felt my legs needed more definition (my trouble spot, hohum) to go with my upper body.

After this rotation, I have more power and strength in my legs to go along with the definition. Workouts that used to be super difficult for me are now doable (note: I'm still sucking air like a drowning woman--thanks CATHE ;D).

I liked it so much, I'm actually going to do it all again in November! I say go for the challenge because you're gonna see a difference in your leg power for other workouts.

Good luck to all!

JenGolf - that looks incredible. Thank you so much for posting it. It may be a silly question, but what is 10 minute solution HiiT?
X77 as part of a double!!!! Wow.
I'm going to give this a go as soon as I've finished STS.
Again, thanks, and respect for finishing it!
Justine
PS when I did the original Rock Bottoms, I rather liked the walking lunges - mainly because it was Summer, and the dogs and chickens would follow me round the garden whilst I did my comedy walk :eek: How I'll feel now it's Autumn and cold and wet, I don't know

JenGolf - that looks incredible. Thank you so much for posting it. It may be a silly question, but what is 10 minute solution HiiT?
X77 as part of a double!!!! Wow.
I'm going to give this a go as soon as I've finished STS.
Again, thanks, and respect for finishing it!
Justine
PS when I did the original Rock Bottoms, I rather liked the walking lunges - mainly because it was Summer, and the dogs and chickens would follow me round the garden whilst I did my comedy walk :eek: How I'll feel now it's Autumn and cold and wet, I don't know

Thanks! The walking lunges never grew on me. Probably for the same reason I don't like going to a gym--it is a self motivated thing. I like DVD workouts because I guess I feel like I have a trainer telling me and showing me what to do and the walking lunges were BORING. And hard too.

Here is the 10 Minute Solution HIIT: Amazon.com: 10 Minute Solution: High Intensity Interval Training: Lisa Kinder, Andrea Ambandos: Movies & TV

Unlike X10 they literally are 10 minutes! They are tabatas--but 8 minutes straight of tabatas with no more than your 10 second rest between 20 second HIITs. They just came out another one called Butt Lift that I bought to supplement Rock Bottoms but haven't yet. Amazon.com: 10 Minute Solution: Butt Lift: Christine Bullock: Movies & TV

They look good - I'm all for tabata etc - great before a strength w/o or for those days when you feel you can just go the extra mile.
Thanks!

jengollf - thank you so much for sharing your rotation! My schedule wouldn't allow all those doubles but your additions/substitutions are really helpful. I'm super impressed you made it through almost all of it.

A few more questions if you wouldn't mind: was it worth it for you results-wise (as in a noticeable change in your lower body - if that's even what you were going for) and if so, any sense of what made the most difference - doubles, the BBW, etc.?

Thank you again!

jengollf - thank you so much for sharing your rotation! My schedule wouldn't allow all those doubles but your additions/substitutions are really helpful. I'm super impressed you made it through almost all of it.

A few more questions if you wouldn't mind: was it worth it for you results-wise (as in a noticeable change in your lower body - if that's even what you were going for) and if so, any sense of what made the most difference - doubles, the BBW, etc.?

Thank you again!

I did get results, but not exactly what I hoped for. I was hoping for a slimming of the thighs. There was no change in the size of my thighs, but there is a big increase in muscle--primarily the quads and the glutes. My husband has noticed the glutes--he frequently refers to them as rock hard. :p I notice the quads--the muscle seems very big and defined there. Personally, I attribute it more to the excessive amount of lower body work. I honestly couldn't say if it was an individual part of the program or the program as a whole. Maybe the walking lunges had something to do with the quads. 100 rep hip thrusts with the glutes, plus I did a lot of deadlifts with relatively heavy weight. But then I also did a lot of leg presses. I don't know! I don't know if I will do it again--at least to that intensity. I would like to do more lower body work at times, but not Rock Bottoms level! That is, unless Cathe comes out with a new one that intrigues me!

Jengollf - thank you for the heads up on the '10 minute solution' dvds. Although the HiiT one isn't available for UK dvd players, I bought a few of the others (they were a bargain :D ). So far I've done a pilates one and a yoga one, and loved them both.
Also, your results for your Rock Bottom rotation mirrored mine when I did the 2011 Rock Bottoms: I didn't put on any weight, but my thighs increased by half an inch each :mad: Awsome quads though!!!!
I'm longing to try your version......just got meso 3 of STS to get through first....
Justine

My Rock Bottoms Rotation

Ok, here it is. I hesitated to post it because I created 6 weeks, but I only did 5 weeks of it. But I am posting the whole 6 weeks. The reason I wimped out of the last week is that I got so burned out on the walking lunges--I HATED walking lunge days. And I got bored with the BBW even tho as you can see I did things to mix it up. I still got bored with it and wanted more variety. I am actually currently on week 6 and am doing most of it as laid out, but I am not in the mood for doubles this week plus NO WALKING LUNGES.

I also used 10 Minute Solution HIIT as a warm up on walking lunge days. You can warm up anyway you want. Also, when I use "+" that means the workout following it was a double. If I use "followed by" then it was done in the same workout session.

WEEK 1:
Day 1: Muscle Max + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 300 walking lunges
Day 2: Cardio Core Circuit + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by Kickmax Leg drills
Day 3: Supercuts premix 2 + BBW (using Lower Body Blast bonus)
Day 4: Kickmax (no leg drills—those were done on Day 2 to keep my morning workout at an hour) + Cardio Leg Blast
Day 5: Total Body Trisets Upper
Day 6: Butts and Guts w/ bonus lower body and bonus Stability ball abs instead of the abs included in the main workout followed by Xtrain 100 Rep Hip Thrusts

WEEK 2:
Day 1: STS Total Body + BBW (using Lower Body Blast bonus)
Day 2: Cross Train Express mix and match: Power Circuits warm up followed by Power Circuits followed by Leaner Legs (no warm up and no abs) + Plyo Legs Disk 26
Day 3: Athletic Step + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 300 walking lunges
Day 4: Athletic Training + BBW (using Xtrain Bonus Barre)
Day 5: 30/30 HIIT followed by Core Max 1
Day 6: Lower Body Blast followed by Xtrain 100 Rep Hip Thrusts

WEEK 3:
Day 1: High Step Training + Total Body Trisets Lower
Day 2: 4DS Kickbox (in its entirety) + BBW (using Xtrain Bonus Barre)
Day 3: One 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by Push Pull + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 300 walking lunges
Day 4: Intensity + BBW (using Lower Body Blast bonus)
Day 5: High Step Challenge
Day 6: Legs and Glutes followed by Xtrain 100 Rep Hip Thrusts

WEEK 4:
Day 1: Flex Train + Lean Legs and Abs
Day 2: Rockout Knockout w/ Heavy Bag bonus + BBW (using Lean Legs and Abs Barre bonus)
Day 3: Great Glutes Extreme premix + Plyo Legs Disk 35
Day 4: Supersets + BBW (using Xtrain Barre Bonus)
Day 5: X10 (premix X77) + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 400 walking lunges
Day 6: Xtrain Legs premix 3 followed by 100 Rep Hip Thrusts

Week 5:
Day 1: Bootcamp + BBW (using Lower Body Blast bonus)
Day 2: Pyramid Lower + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 400 walking lunges
Day 3: Pyramid Upper + BBW (using Xtrain Bonus Barre)
Day 4: Cardio Leg Blast + Slow and Heavy Legs (just warm up, legs and stretch)
Day 5: Turbo Barre Lower Body Express (added in the core section, too)
Day 6: Flex Train followed by Lean Legs & Abs (Timesaver #2 premix) followed by 100 Rep Hip Thrusts

Week 6:
Day 1: High Step Training + Plyo Legs Disk 26
Day 2: Tabatacise premix 5 + one 10 Minute Solution HIIT followed by 400 walking lunges
Day 3: Pure Strength Legs + Total Body Trisets Lower
Day 4: Cross Train Express Upper Body Split + All Out Low Impact HIIT
Day 5: Gym Style Legs
Day 6: Muscle Endurance

Oh my goodness, Jengolf! I just saw this post for the first time and I HAVE to do this rotation! I have been working on getting a butt for a little while now and, I'll just say it.....I need help! ;) This looks like it would do the trick! Quick question for you, though. I am a MESS when it comes to step because I am completely incapable of following choreography. I spend most of my time flailing about and eventually getting so frustrated I stop the workout. It's really quite pitiful. So, that said, what would you recommend that could be substituted for the Step workouts in this rotation? I have access to OnDemand so all options are available for me. Gosh do I love Cathe's OnDemand.... :) Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Christin

Hi Christin! I had forgotten about posting that rotation! It doesn't look like there are too many step workouts in it. Are referring to pure step or workouts like Athletic Training and High Step Challenge that incorporate step work with strength work? On those two (step + strength), the step work is very basic and easy to do. But for actual pure step workouts I would substitute any other of Cathe's other cardio that don't use a step (or use it in a very basic way) workouts--X10, All Out Low Impact HIIT, Afterburn, Cardio Supersets, RwH Low Impact or Plyo HIIT, any of her kickboxing/boxing workouts, Crossfire and To the Max. Hope this helps!

Hi Christin! I had forgotten about posting that rotation! It doesn't look like there are too many step workouts in it. Are referring to pure step or workouts like Athletic Training and High Step Challenge that incorporate step work with strength work? On those two (step + strength), the step work is very basic and easy to do. But for actual pure step workouts I would substitute any other of Cathe's other cardio that don't use a step (or use it in a very basic way) workouts--X10, All Out Low Impact HIIT, Afterburn, Cardio Supersets, RwH Low Impact or Plyo HIIT, any of her kickboxing/boxing workouts, Crossfire and To the Max. Hope this helps!

Awesome, thank you, it helps a ton! I honestly couldn't say whether the workouts that contain some step would be doable for me or not. I typically avoid anything with the step like the plague. I know I have done a couple of Cathe's workouts that contain a little step but it's mostly things like Power 7's and that type of thing. Those I do okay with though, as soon as you've got me moving up, down, and around the step it gets pretty ugly. Ok, REALLY ugly. As in my-dog-runs-and-hides ugly. I've actually been meaning to try Athletic Challenge and, if that and High Step Challenge aren't too tricky, I will definitely give them a shot. As for any others in the rotation, I will add those you've suggested. Some of those are my absolute favorites! Thanks so much! :) I'll come back to post with an update once I've started the rotation. I'm currently doing the XTrain rotation. I started with the 90 day undulating rotation but I think I may cut it short as I am getting a little restless. We shall see! SO many things to choose from..... ;)

Christin

All of the step work in Cathe's cardio + strength workouts in my rotation above are of the To the Max variety. I know In High Step Challenge it is very basic (same with High Step Training) and Athletic Training it si along the lines of To the Max and X10 Step--basic but it will burn your legs out. I hate the complex choreography, too btw. I tried Party Rockin Step #1 and Step Blast once and I will not be pulling those two out ever again!

All of the step work in Cathe's cardio + strength workouts in my rotation above are of the To the Max variety. I know In High Step Challenge it is very basic (same with High Step Training) and Athletic Training it si along the lines of To the Max and X10 Step--basic but it will burn your legs out. I hate the complex choreography, too btw. I tried Party Rockin Step #1 and Step Blast once and I will not be pulling those two out ever again!

Awesome! I look forward to trying them. And I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who can't stand choreography. Even the "dancy" stuff gets me. My daughter watched me doing a Michele Dozois workout for the first time and she couldn't stop laughing. Not sure what's wired wrong in my brain but CLEARLY my feet don't receive the message to move in a particular way when my brain tells em to, especially if my arms have to be moving in the opposite direction. :)

I've started this rotation this month and planning to do all 3 in next 3 months. Next month is 2011's RBR [emoji2]. Anyone wanna join in?[emoji527]

A Fit Granny [emoji1434]

I completed the other three Rock Bottoms rotations (2006, 2013 and 2021) and I am now in week 1 of this rotation. Unlike the other RB rotations, this one has many doubles and I am excited about pushing myself harder. I wonder however about the lack 48 hours of rest. I gather it is not a number set in stone but Cathe's own posts suggest to me that it is a lower bound for large muscle groups (e.g. https://cathe.com/5-factors-that-im...-you-need-between-strength-training-workouts/). I also want to grow my glutes only while keeping quads and hamstrings as they are. Does that mean I should be using light weights?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.