STS STS 3.5 Mo.-Is Anyone Else Doing This?

I did disc 3 Legs today. I feel very worked out. Tomorrow I will be doing some kickboxing and Ab Circuits stability ball. Feeling strong! :)
I did the bonus exercises at the end. The first time I did this video I did the first ones and stopped. I used to do Physique 57 5 times a week for 9 months. I don't know how I did that! Those barre moves are so hard! They did do really good things for my lower body though. I'm glad to see these types of moves worked in.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised. These workouts are tough. I really feel it after I'm done; and yet no DOMS! And I really expected to be super sore. I was sore almost non-stop through Xtrain. Maybe that prepared me for this!

I also want to say I am so happy I got the squat rack/bench press rack b4 I started STS. Today was Disk 3 Back and Triceps and I used the rack with a barbell across the middle to do my pull ups. I loved this! When I did P90X I used a heavy band in the door in place of pull ups then did assisted pull ups on my own time (no place for a pull up bar in workout room--French doors/low ceiling). By the end of P90X I could do 2 full unassisted pull ups. For today's workout I did supine chin up/pull ups and I felt it much more than I ever did using the bands during P90X (and I used the heaviest band Beachbody sells). I am hoping by the time I finish the 5.5 month rotation I will be able to do more than 2 full unassisted pull ups! And again--I anticipate DOMS after this workout. We'll see if it actually happens!

Jengolff: I'm glad you're really enjoying these! I'm jealous you have the squat rack. I would love to have a power tower. I hope they make them again. I only have a small room to workout in though so I'm not sure how much more equipment I want in it. I just got rid of my treadmill so I would have more room to do Cathe. :)

Jengollf...Good for you getting the rack and bench. I was planning to use the bands for the pullups since I also used them for p90x and they seemed to work fine. After reading your post I have decided to use my sons bench and rack. Will be doing back and triceps on saturday.

I too have just started sts for the first time. I'm doing it Jen style :)- cardio when I get home from work. During Meso 1 I'm also hitting each body part a second time ( just shorter premixes). I agree these are great workouts - I haven't had doms in awhile but oh yes after those pushups!!

I too have just started sts for the first time. I'm doing it Jen style :)- cardio when I get home from work. During Meso 1 I'm also hitting each body part a second time ( just shorter premixes). I agree these are great workouts - I haven't had doms in awhile but oh yes after those pushups!!

I am going to hit each muscle group twice a week, too--at least during Meso 1 & 2. I am doing the strength workouts M,W,TH and then doing a full body workout on Saturday (one of Cathe's other (non-STS) workouts).

I started thinking about why I am not getting DOMS and I think I know why. Now, I know it varies from person to person, but I am one of those people that when I hit it hard I get sore. So it is a "marker" for me. I really did a lot of prep work for STS--equipment, reading, 1RM, planning the rotation, etc. This led me to refine my diet for this program. I now have a whey protein drink after every strength workout starting this week with STS. One of the reasons I decided to do this is because I read it speeds muscle recovery and reduces soreness if you drink it within an hour of your workout. I didn't immediately connect it because I always eat a high protein breakfast after strength workouts (I workout first thing in the morning). But apparently whey protein and the supplements they include in it really make the difference! Because again, my muscles were burning after Back and Triceps yesterday--but this morning? Nothing, no soreness! This morning I did CCC for cardio and finished with the Extended Stretch and I will say my muscles felt tight (so the long stretch felt lovely), but no soreness! Wild.

Last edited:
Jengollf...Good for you getting the rack and bench. I was planning to use the bands for the pullups since I also used them for p90x and they seemed to work fine. After reading your post I have decided to use my sons bench and rack. Will be doing back and triceps on saturday.

Tell me if you agree after you do it. I was surprised that it was actually challenging to do a "pull up" that way. For some reason I didn't expect it to be. However, I was able to do 12 pull ups that way--but my form was failing by the 11th pull up. Whereas if I was trying to do a regular pull up I probably couldn't even do 2 anymore and if I was using bands, I could do 20+ reps (at least that's how it went in P90X--even with the heaviest bands I could have kept going even after the time limit was up). So I felt like it was perfect for the level I am at. As I continue in the program I plan to move the barbell to the top rack (the squat position) and try a regular pull up (with my knees bent of course).

Anyway, I'm curious about what you think of it after you do it.

Last edited:
My second body parts workout were from 4 day split, but I'm thinking of high reps next week since Meso 1 is focusing on endurance. How much cardio are you guys doing? I'm doing at least 30 min 6 days a week. I'm going to Florida in a month so I wanted to try and a couple of pounds.
And I think you hit it about doms - I'm high protein after and tons of water. There is a definite difference if I'm lazy about that.

I'm officially done with the first week of Meso 1!! Sometimes i feel like i am not doing the tricep exercises correctly. I dont know if i have bad form or if they are too weak to feel much. I don't know. I try to concentrate on that muscle while i am working it. A few times i rested my fingers lightly on the muscle to see if i was working it. I was I still feel like I should be feeling them more.
I have to work all weekend so I will start week 2 on Monday. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

My second body parts workout were from 4 day split, but I'm thinking of high reps next week since Meso 1 is focusing on endurance. How much cardio are you guys doing? I'm doing at least 30 min 6 days a week. I'm going to Florida in a month so I wanted to try and a couple of pounds.
And I think you hit it about doms - I'm high protein after and tons of water. There is a definite difference if I'm lazy about that.

I'm not doing too much cardio as I don't like it all that much. I am doing it twice a week. It has worked for me in the past so time will tell if that is enough for me.

I'm doing cardio 6 days a week. My plan is to to do a hiit/tabata workout 1-2 times a week, 30 minutes of cardio on strength days (I'm using premixes for those) and 1-2 longer cardio workouts per week like the Imax workouts, Intensity, 4DS Cardio Power--Cathe's hour long cardios.

Last edited:
Just finished my 1 rep max testing today, so I'll be starting STS Monday. I'm really looking forward to it. I plugged in the STS/Shock Cardio rotation into my calendar, but I'll probably change the cardio around depending on my moods.

I started my first day of week 2 today with disc 4. I could tell a difference! I am getting stronger! I was able to do almost all of the pushups on my toes. I didn't do the 1RM for this week, so I am taking notes in the guide book.
How are you guys doing?

I'm doing better with push-ups too - super happy about that. But I got stuck at work and got home late and only got 4 hrs sleep. Tried to do back and tris and I was weak and form was suffering so 36 min was all I could do - I will finish tonite. But I was planning on doing tabatacise tonite ( I do weights before work). I will have to see if I can get a nap. Since its only week 2 I'm disappointed - I felt so strong every other day and I don't want to get behind. But I don't want to use bad form and hurt myself sigh I hate when life derails my goals!! Lol good job on the push ups - I dread those like you dread cardio

And all on your toes? Super good job :)

Sometimes but yesterday I started at 7am and got done at 10 pm - started today at 6 so I was up at 4 trying to squeeze in my weights. I know - sometimes I look in the mirror and think stubborn much? Lol I need to learn its ok if I miss something on my list sigh

I thought it sounded like you had a similar schedule to mine. I work Fridays and Saturdays 7p-7a and Sundays 11p-7a. I like nights when I am there but they can really wear on you. I would lose a ton of money if I went to days. I am a nurse and I truly don't want to work on a med-surg floor during the day. I would be willing to take the pay cut for PACU though. :)

You ladies are doing great! Time is going to fly by and before you know it you'll be testing for your strength gains ;)! I had a lot of fun with STS and had REALLY good strength gains! Have fun with it and keep each other motivated!
Don't forget to give yourself a little "gift" now and then; like fun shoelaces or towel for mopping up that hard work!:D

Today was leg day. I really pushed myself and enjoyed the challenge.
I had tried doing JNL Fusion earlier this year and felt so wiped out from it. I am loving STS. I don't watch the clock and feel energized even though I feel really worked out afterwards.
How are all of you doing with your workouts?

Legs CSBi and back and tri done from sts this week. Legs and glutes today and then not sure how I'm going to hit upper body for my second go ths week. Still thinking. Enjoy Wednesday!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.