Need Avocado Ideas, Please!

jldx2in2000

Cathlete
This is going to sound crazy but I had an avocado for the first time ever in my whole life last Sunday (outside of having guacamole on nachos ;)). It was awesome. I can't believe I never tried one before. I had always read they had great nutritional benefits but for some reason I was scared of trying one.

Anyway, now that I know how awesome they are, what more can I do with them? I have put them on salads, wraps, and veggie burgers.

Any other ways I can incorporate this into my meals? I like them so much, I have actually thought about just eating it right out of the shell!! :eek:

Thanks!

I'd be interested in ideas, too. I've only had avocado on a sandwich and would love to try something different.

I like cutting them up topping it on my spicy chili or mushing it on a rice cake with a wedge of laughing cow cheese.

I know only one and very easy recipe. It consist in: open the avocado in two parts; in each one put a little oil, vinegar, pepper, salt. It's served with a teaspoon to eat the internal part.

It's not really a recipe, so I'm very interested too, if someone can give some more tips.

Cheers,
Anna

As inspired by molasses, I actually chopped some up and topped my spaghetti squash chili mac with it last week and it was really good!!!

I might do that again tonight!!

there was a salsa posted under cathe recipes. I think it was some time in July. I love it and made it several times. That is the only thing I have made. Otherwise, I just slice for sandwiches.

I like to slice them up and put on my Eggs Benedict Healthy version of course. I use a Mock Hollandaise (yogurt, lemon juice, one yolk and a dab of real butter).
Ingredients

1 egg yolk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp butter, unsalted

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and whisk together.
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes until heated through.

Makes 6 servings; 2 TBSP each

I also just found a recipe for Chocolate Mousse. Made with pureed avacadio.
Chocolate Mousse (Serves 2)
Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup of pitted dates soaked for at least 4 hours
* 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
* 3/4 cup mashed avocados ( 1 1/2 avocados)
* 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacoa powder
* 1/4 cup water

Method:
Place the dates, maple syrup and optional vanilla in a food processor and process , add the avocado and cocoa powder, process and add the water. For an optional flavor add 5 leaves of fresh mint to the food processor and create a Mint-Chocolate Mousse

This recipe is extra easy. I eat avocados prepared this way for breakfast (like cereal) or for dessert. Just slice and remove the pit of the avocado. Spoon the meat out and put it in a bowl. Add milk and a little sugar and cool in the refrigerator for at least ten minutes. Feels like a mix of yogurt and ice :)cream!

My favorite thing to do with avocado is chop up half of one and toss it with about 15 pre-cooked shrimp and 1/3 a cup if your favorite salsa....it's the Mexican style of a shrimp cocktail! Can't get enough of it! Easy fast meal and so filling!

I make chocolate pudding with avocados as well. Just seeing this thread made me run off to make some.

I use:

2 avocados, very ripe
1/2 cup splenda (probably need more if you use regular sugar)
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 t balsamic vinegar
2 t vanilla
1/2 t soy sauce
milk or water to consistency

I add water or milk until its smooth and blends well, probably around half a cup.

It's very rich so although it's high in calories, you don't need to each much to be satisfied.

You can also use avocados to top soups and chili. I love it on tortilla soup.

I know this most probably sound gross but I used to love avocado and banana mashed on toast. It would give me an instant energy boost when I was working nightshift.

Try my guacamole recipe! (I copied and pasted from Cathe's healthy recipe site where I posted it in September) I LOVE this stuff! It is very versatile and forgiving, so modify it however you like-it will still be fabulous!

Revved-up Guacamole
Fruits & Vegetables, Healthy Recipe's, Kid Friendly, Lunch, Salad, Side-Dish, Snack, Vegetarian
0 Submitted by: Laura Riehm
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: None

Ready In: 20 minutes

Serves/Makes: 4

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients
1 ripe avacado, diced
1 ripe Roma tomato, diced
1 Eggland’s Best hardboiled egg, peeled and chopped finely
1 Tbsp onion, chopped
2-3 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Mix all ingredients. (mash if you like it smooth-or leave chunky if you like) Let sit for 20-30 minutes to let flavors meld, if you can!
Serve with tortilla chips, whole-grain crackers, vegetable sticks, or eat as is!

My mother would mash the avocado up with a fork, a little sugar and some lemon juice. It was great on crackers or spread on a turkey, cream cheese sandwich.

Avocados are a great healthy source for your body, as they carry monounsaturated fat that might lower your cholesterol level. A considerable idea that I like to do is replace butter with avocado on a sandwich.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.