to fellow vegans

This is a good eye opening thread. It is also a thought provoking thread. I am now going to take a closer look at my choices. I have a lot of self educating to do this summer... I do not believe Cathe's association with Eggland Best makes her an animal abuser...to me thats preposterous. If only Cathe was a peanut butter spokesperson!! Peggy

Peggy I so agree. I really feel bad about not getting the wool thing...thanks to Kathryn for passing along that link. You know when I started to rethink what I ate I also thought about how it impacts the enviroment. That then lead me to become much more "green" in my daily life. That turned to learning about sweatshops and the conflicts over diamonds...I just want to try to do the best I can and having discussions with other savvy likeminded women helps us all learn! :)

That is a brilliant suggestion--Peanut Butter Spokeswoman! I love it. i will continue buying Cathe's workouts for sure but there will be no Eggland's Best at my house. The kind of funny part of this is Cathe has always been so reluctant to make any comments about nutrition or diet. I find the egg thing an odd choice.

Poohpeggy - now there's an association she should have done. Peanut Butter! What a perfect fit for her. And cruelty free, too!!

If Cathe had partnered with peanut butter, my head would've exploded. Jeez I love peanut butter. Hmm...peanut butter sounds good right now, actually...

OMG People....think how the human race got started...living off the land and the animals on it!!!!!!!!! where would we be if that didn't happen????????????? Somepeople put too much thought into things.....I live on a 112 acre farm where we raise Angus, we have chickens for eggs, trout and bass in our pond(which are delicious)we have raised pigs, pheasent,ect which we have eaten all the above. My husband is a hunter and we eat deer, turkey, etc. I have a garden where i grow many veggies and we have fruit trees. My DH grandfather started out as a dairy farmer. We are surrounded by dairy farms.. Are we bad people? I don't think so. All surrounding farms have sold develope rights so no developments can be built (ever!)Not a bad thing either. THe commerical says happy cows comefrom California,but I think we have some pretty happy cows right here.

OMG People....think how the human race got started...living off the land and the animals on it!!!!!!!!! where would we be if that didn't happen????????????? Somepeople put too much thought into things.....I live on a 112 acre farm where we raise Angus, we have chickens for eggs, trout and bass in our pond(which are delicious)we have raised pigs, pheasent,ect which we have eaten all the above. My husband is a hunter and we eat deer, turkey, etc. I have a garden where i grow many veggies and we have fruit trees. My DH grandfather started out as a dairy farmer. We are surrounded by dairy farms.. Are we bad people? I don't think so. All surrounding farms have sold develope rights so no developments can be built (ever!)Not a bad thing either. THe commerical says happy cows comefrom California,but I think we have some pretty happy cows right here.

No one is saying farming is wrong. I live in the country and know many wonderful farmers. I too have an orchard and garden and some animals, hoping for more. We are taking issue with FACTORY farming, which is an entirely different animal, no pun intended. The two cannot be compared.

Also, i read somewhere that long, long ago, it=f the mother couldn't nurse and a wet nurse was not available, a goat or other animal was used...the baby nursed right off the animal. I say if it saved a life...no problem. I know, probably another thread. I think if you support Cathe and what she does for the fitness industry, don't think so much into this EB thing. To the person who said they wouldn't buy anything else from Cahte because of the EB thing, I feel bad for you...

OMG People....think how the human race got started...living off the land and the animals on it!!!!!!!!! where would we be if that didn't happen?????????????
Just because something happened in the past, and advanced humanity, doesn't mean it has to happen now.

I'm sure slavery advanced the human condition (of some: the non-slaves) to some degree, as did the subjugation of women, and child labor...it doesn't mean that we have to continue these things and accept them.

Humans evolve not just physically, but morally and spiritually as well, and some things belong in our more primitive past.

Who would you feel bad for someone who chooses to stand by what she believes, even if you don't share the belief?

Look, it's fine for people to disagree. It's fine for some people to say "this upsets me" and for others to say "it's no big deal to me." But simply because you don't agree with someone doesn't make her belief ridiculous, nor does it mean that she is thinking too much into things. Perhaps she's thinking about these things because they matter to her.

gettingfitmom why do you feel the need to say hurtful things and upset people? We are all just discussing how we feel about somehing that is important to us. No one has said anything bad about the family farmer.

There's a possibility that some may read this thread and feel defensive about their way of life.

To those of you who might be put off by this discussion, please understand that we aren't targeting or judging anyone. I know I've said this before, but it's worth repeating: My husband and children eat animal products. Add to that, my brother-in-law and nephew are hunters, and my brother used to own a sheep farm where they killed sheep and pigs.

Are they bad people? No.

I do think they suffer from a degree of ignorance, though it's not the "ignorance" many have come to associate with the very insulting "stupid." It's a simple not-knowing, for lack of a better term. Not quite seeing things as they are ~ maybe a kind of mental blindness.

We all suffer from this kind of ignorance in one fashion or another. I know my faults well, and I have no doubt I'm ignorant in ways that currently escape my awareness. I do my best to learn and erase as much of my ignorance as possible though. (I fear I'll need several lifetimes to get it all done! :D )

Anywho, this has been a nice discussion. I personally don't mind someone challenging my way of thinking, so I welcome hunters and farmers and lovers of hamburger to the table, but I would appreciate a respectful exchange. I'm not smarter or more evolved than anyone here, but I'm not ridiculous either.

:)

Edited to add: Dudes, look how many people have viewed this thread!!!

Last edited:
I have to say that I think this has been one of THE best threads that have passed this place since my time here. It has had me thinking all day long (I missed it yesterday). I take great issue with animal cruelty, and I realize that I am still so "ignorant". I have conversations with friends (friends I think nothing less of) who are hunters where I'm telling them I really don't want to hear about what they do, yet I realize that I also partake of some of the very things they provide (I've had venison before...not going back)!!! I am not a vegetarian, but this thread gives food for thought (ha!) about learning more about what really goes on.

Bottom line...for me anyway...this is such a good place to come to, to learn so much about EVERYTHING!!!

Thank you, ladies, for understanding. I almost had my A/C fixed. But the guy brought the wrong part. So he'll be back tomorrow. :mad:

Here's a little egg humor some of you may like:

_Enjoy_your_breakfast__by_nocturnalMoTH.jpg

Who would you feel bad for someone who chooses to stand by what she believes, even if you don't share the belief?

Look, it's fine for people to disagree. It's fine for some people to say "this upsets me" and for others to say "it's no big deal to me." But simply because you don't agree with someone doesn't make her belief ridiculous, nor does it mean that she is thinking too much into things. Perhaps she's thinking about these things because they matter to her.

I see merit with both arguments, especially with GettingFitMom comments on hunting and farming. I've often wondered about issues that relate to animal cruelty, especially veal and lamb used in pet food. I've noticed a huge amount of members have cats and dogs as do many of my neighbors (and myself). In light of not eating eggs, I'm curious if you feed your pets animals products, such as lamb, veal or duck? I'm not flaming anyone, or trying to start something here, I'm truly curious about how vegans or vegitarians think about that.

I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 23 years. I started when I was living in a hunting community- just couldn't reconcile how gross and unfair I thought hunting was with eating meat, so I stopped. And I stopped wearing leather, etc. at the same time. After about 10 years, my feet were fried and I had to go back to wearing leather on my feet, although I still don't use it for anything else. There are many levels that you can take vegetarianism and animal rights activism to: vegan, fruitatarian, PETA, protests, etc. This is what has worked for me, what I am comfortable with. Cathe has the right to make choices that work for her.

I eat eggs. I am positive Cathe has chosen this partnership because of eggs' positive qualities, such as an inexpensive source of protein and nutrients, not to promote animal cruelty. I am not offended by the partnership at all, and I am curious to know what her big announcements are. I am glad she is moving her business forward and not just resting on her Step laurels. Given the demographics of the posters on this forum, it was a hint that maybe she should be reaching out and promoting her business to young people that have not yet been exposed to her. This is a way to do that.

The issue, it seems to me, is regulatory, not about Cathe building partnerships with a company operating legally. Lobby the government, force them to make changes in their legislation to ensure animal rights are protected.

We live in an interdependant world. All of us live at the expense of many who die. This includes plants. Plants have been shown to feel pain. The larger the scale, the more harm there is on many levels, whether it is animal farming, vegetable farming, mining or any other large scale enterprise. It is simply impossible to exist on this planet and not cause harm. Local farming, small farming, is less harmful, but not without harm. We decide what is most important to us, what decisions we can actually live with more or less comfortably, and act accordingly. Others have different priorities and make different, but no less valid, choices. We are all just trying to make it through life on this globe.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.