Need help from those who have read the Twilight series

I feel like Jason is one of those underdeveloped characters - absent in whole books and then the hokey marriage, etc. Bizzare turns for him and unexplained absences. The whole need to make him supernatural too is "eh" for me.

I'm not a fan of what happened with Jason.

True Blood is very good at creating onscreen sexual tension; very rare for many serials....good stuff :)

Agreed

I cracked up at the scenes with the waitress that is killed in episode 3 or so...she is such a hooch in real life - I used to see her all the time downtown going at it with the kid from third rock. then i read or heard she was married - yowsa!
good morals!

:eek:

Apparently True Blood returns this SUMMER...hello very excited
True Blood is very good at creating onscreen sexual tension; very rare for many serials....good stuff :)

I am thinking June, maybe??

I don't remember them ever saying anything about Edward being a virgin either. You might reasonably assume that though since he was from a completely different time period when being 17 and a virgin was actually normal.

I am under the impression he was a virgin, but I don't remember if it was implied or stated.

Must fight my AR'ness to look it up..... :D

So I'm back....a freak of nature who has read almost 1/2 of New moon in an hour. I'm so mad at Edward for leaving and I can really relate to Bella's pain. I knew this would happen. These books are going to draw me in even more....draw me into what I'm not sure...but I know it doesn't feel healthy.

So Liann - Edward doesn't want to sleep with Bella because he's afraid he'll lose control and kill her? I STILL don't understand why he'd continue to be attracted to her after she changed into a vampire herself.

I am under the impression he was a virgin, but I don't remember if it was implied or stated.

Must fight my AR'ness to look it up..... :D

i just read it the other night...bella asks him about his experiences and he said he has had none....when she is trying to seduce him in book 3...

So I'm back....a freak of nature who has read almost 1/2 of New moon in an hour. I'm so mad at Edward for leaving and I can really relate to Bella's pain. I knew this would happen. These books are going to draw me in even more....draw me into what I'm not sure...but I know it doesn't feel healthy.

So Liann - Edward doesn't want to sleep with Bella because he's afraid he'll lose control and kill her? I STILL don't understand why he'd continue to be attracted to her after she changed into a vampire herself.

it gets worse...he can now clean her wounds (full on bleeding) and be fine...
um, NO!

I'm not a fan of what happened with Jason.

Agreed

:eek:

I am thinking June, maybe??

June or July....looking forward to it...first episode seems to be following book 2 opening. I am wondering how they will handle the series with the infusion of that tribunal for Bill (hated that). It basically negates book 5 and means they have to change the way the relationship between Sookie and Eric transpires.

DONE!!!!! New Moon read from 3pm-10pm. I have to get over this....they are getting a little mushy though. Obviously, something is wrong in my life if I can get swept up so much into a FANTASY!. Although, I've always liked supernatural stuff. I love the show "Supernatural" and Charmed was my favorite when it was on. I also got swept up with Buffy and Angel, especially when she had to kill him. Still though, it doesn't make it any easier to deal with NOW!

Oh Kim....you're so funny! I also read 3 books in the Twighlight series in the last week (I just had to find out what all the hoopla was all about)....I would have finished the 4th book, but I got caught up in a much better read called "The Vagrants" (it's not fantasy, but incredible literary fiction...I do highly recommend it). Anyway...

I watched the Twighlight movie yesterday...I thought it followed the book fairly well (I was surprised), but I thought the make-up artist's work was hideous. Aside from that, I was amused by the movie. I'll be reading book 4 this week after I finish "The Tourist" and "Last Lion: The Rise and Fall of Ted Kennedy." (It just goes to show you I'll read anything. ;))

I'm just curious. Has anyone read "The Host" and have any opinions on it?

Personally, I am dying for the new Sookie Stackhouse novel to come out - love those vampire stories....you should try those as well, if you haven't already!

I have a friend who is totally fixated on Edward Cullen! Bought her the Edward action figure and she was talking to it!!! AND she's 30 yo!!!:D:D:D

Being a male reader, I can't really say that I liked the Twilight series - agree that they are not that well written. And Bella gets on my nerves BIG TIME - even the actress annoyed me (she played Jodie Fostre's daughter in Panic Room). To be fair, Anna Paquin used to irritate me, too, but after X-Men and TB I got a liking in her...

Being a male reader, on the other hand, I am addicted to Charlaine Harris' Sookie novels (read all 8 back to back last September)!!! Watched the 1st season of True Blood 3 times already...:eek: Allan Ball is just brilliant!
Can't wait for May when the 9th book comes out and June when the TB Second season starts airing...
There's too much underlying context issues in Harris' novels (the South, racism, being different, good vs evil, religious fanaticism, friendship) that Meyer's novels hardly touch. Harris has built a whole parallel world where Vampires (and were-animals) come out of the closet/coffin ;), have political and social issues etc. Even Sookie's men share characteristics found in everyday life. Bill, the workaholic/secretive type, Eric the arrogant, Quinn the family guy, Alcide the "sneaky" politician, Jason the... whatever!!! :D:D:D

But (the big BUT!) Interview With The Vampire tops them all! Great book, amazingly written and beautiful film!

Chris.

P.S. Let's keep the vamp chat going!!!!;)

Here it is the next morning and I'm STILL thinking about it. It's like I expect to turn around and see him standing there. Maybe if I see him in the Harry Potter movie that would help. "See, he's not REALLY a vampire and they aren't REALLY together." :D It would be cool to be Bella though, minus the whining and neediness and him leaving her and everyone wanting to kill her. Hmmmm...did I just say that? :eek: Looks like Books 3 and 4 will be my weekend. Then MAYBE I can let it go. At least until November when the next movie is supposed to come out....and then again in June of 2010 when Eclipse is supposed to come out. I wonder if they'll get the same main actors for all the movies. It just wouldn't be the same. When movies have sequels like this, do the original actors have to sign on for all of them?

That's a good question, you'll get an answer in book 4. Happy Reading. :)

Huh. This is a weird thread.

I probably shouldn't even post since I thought the Twilight books sucked (um, pun intended, I guess) but I did read them all (what can I say, I have low standards).

Just wanted to say, Kimenem, I think you are way over-thinking a vampire book written for teenagers. If you really want to know more, just read more. If it's getting to stressful and confusing, go read something better.

I am overthinking it. But I tend to do that; I analyze everything. I'm going to read them all and then thst should be the end of it. Even with other movies, I ask tons of questions that were never answered. I have no idea why.

I know....I'm already worried about that. Maybe I can be over the first one by then :p

Eclipse is scheduled for release in June of 2010.

I have a friend who is totally fixated on Edward Cullen! Bought her the Edward action figure and she was talking to it!!! AND she's 30 yo!!!:D:D:D

Being a male reader, I can't really say that I liked the Twilight series - agree that they are not that well written. And Bella gets on my nerves BIG TIME - even the actress annoyed me (she played Jodie Fostre's daughter in Panic Room). To be fair, Anna Paquin used to irritate me, too, but after X-Men and TB I got a liking in her...

Being a male reader, on the other hand, I am addicted to Charlaine Harris' Sookie novels (read all 8 back to back last September)!!! Watched the 1st season of True Blood 3 times already...:eek: Allan Ball is just brilliant!
Can't wait for May when the 9th book comes out and June when the TB Second season starts airing...
There's too much underlying context issues in Harris' novels (the South, racism, being different, good vs evil, religious fanaticism, friendship) that Meyer's novels hardly touch. Harris has built a whole parallel world where Vampires (and were-animals) come out of the closet/coffin ;), have political and social issues etc. Even Sookie's men share characteristics found in everyday life. Bill, the workaholic/secretive type, Eric the arrogant, Quinn the family guy, Alcide the "sneaky" politician, Jason the... whatever!!! :D:D:D

But (the big BUT!) Interview With The Vampire tops them all! Great book, amazingly written and beautiful film!

Chris.

P.S. Let's keep the vamp chat going!!!!;)

have you read any other vamp themed books? always looking for good ones, which is how I stumbled upon the twilight saga, but want something comparable to Harris.

I am overthinking it. But I tend to do that; I analyze everything. I'm going to read them all and then thst should be the end of it. Even with other movies, I ask tons of questions that were never answered. I have no idea why.

You definitely need to get your mitts on the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Don't see the movies first though. If you do, the Orcs might give you nightmares as will seeing hobbits with fuzzy feet.

have you read any other vamp themed books? always looking for good ones, which is how I stumbled upon the twilight saga, but want something comparable to Harris.

Have you read the tie-in short stories by Harris?
Fairy Dust (after Dead To The World)
Night's Edge - Dancers in the Dark (after Fairy Dust)
One Word Answer (after Night's Edge - Dancers in the Dark, and before Dead As A Doornail)
My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (after Definitely Dead and before All Together Dead)
Many Bloody Returns (after All Together Dead)

They are not actually tie-in stories (except One Word Answer which explains the circumstances around Sookie's cousin's death) but they feature Sookie and other characters and take place between novels.

An all time classic, at least for me, is Stephen King's Salem's Lot. Also, heard some good things about the Anita Blake series (by Laurell Hamilton). They were also made into adult comic books.

Liann - I've read all of Rice's books (even named my Frenchie Merrick!) but I must say they got too historically descriptive and boring by the end.

Chris.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.