What is your body type - Get to know it to determine an effective workout routine

Are you sure the test result came up Mesomorph?:eek::eek:
Mine came up the same but did recommend moderate to heavy training.
circuit training can help in achieving other goal not building muscles.

Feel free to opt for whatever you think works for you.

All the best,

I did the test again just to make sure and it came up mesomorph again. I did some research online for this body type (don't remember what website I was on) and it said to do circuit training, yoga and cardio (step, dance, kickbox, etc.)

I do workouts that I like and don't think about it that much :)

That is fine:)
Knowing the body type is more for those who are striving for specific and clearly identified goals.:):):) People looking to workout outside a comfort zone. Not everyone cup of tea i know:D

Hey, glad I came upon this thread. :) I'm
Your body is between an
ectomorph and a mesomorph

I knew there must have been a sensible reason why I prefer heavy weights without endless rounds. I also prefer unilateral lifting for bi's, tri's and chest which I think is more related to my long arm length.
I think my fave part is "and eat often " cause when I do not, I am a cranky lady!! ;)

I see am a very late to the party, but thanks for these links! I do wonder if hormonal changes after 55 or so perhaps changes this though? Especially given bone density issues and such. Hmmm.

Thanks, Nathalie, for posting the assessment and also for posting Cathe's blog. I really enjoyed Cathe's article on body type as I found this very practical. With the advice in the article I was able to take the results from the assessment and apply them in a way that really makes sense to me. :) I am an endomorph (mostly) and I like Cathe's suggestion to focus on circuit training (along with 3-4 cardio sessions/week) until percentage body fat is in a range one is happy with. THEN, increase the number of strength-focused workouts. I also really liked Cathe's nutritional suggestions as I have found these to be very true for me - endos just can't get away with added sugar and processed carbs, no matter how much they wish they could! ;)

:) I am an endomorph (mostly) and I like Cathe's suggestion to focus on circuit training (along with 3-4 cardio sessions/week) until percentage body fat is in a range one is happy with. THEN, increase the number of strength-focused workouts. I also really liked Cathe's nutritional suggestions as I have found these to be very true for me - endos just can't get away with added sugar and processed carbs, no matter how much they wish they could! ;)

@Jane Power-Grimm, I am happy to share!

How about Barre workout. Is it a type of workout, you think, could endomorphs benefit from ?

Nice suggestion! No wonder I am drawn to that (did ballet as a child too). Something I should be putting in my rotation more often to get that leaner look and tone without bulk. Thanks.:D:cool:

I did the test and found my answer spot on with what I already knew and it just reaffirmed my confusion on how best to workout for me!

I am 60% Meso, 40% Endo. The workout suggestions are contradictory, with an almost 50-50 split it's hard to know what is best.

The site/response would have been much more helpful if instead of listing the suggestions for each body type separately, that there was actually a true "Meso/Endo" body type suggestion.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

What is your body type? Should you not know, here is a helpful test.

Bodybuilding.com - What Is Your Body Type? Take Our Test!

Do you ramdomly choose rotation, do you custom it according to your goal and/or body type? Do you set your goal striving to improve what your body is naturally able to excel in and/or you occasionally strive to gain other benefit through training?

Please share your thoughts on this.

I have done the test above and it came up mesomorph. Yes, I have numerously:D:D stated I love moderate to heavy weight training and intervals but I know endurance is also important. I do aim to gain an overall balance even though my heart is more inclined to what my body type is naturally able to excel in.

What are your thoughts;)
Can not wait to read your post,

Kind Regards,

I'm a combo of mesomorph and endomorph. I remember when I was a young teen, ads on TV were playing for this video series called The FIRM. I was only fourteen or so, still green as grass, but I was attracted to it because it was a combination of aerobics and weights. I knew already what my body type was when I took the test on it today, but I also didn't link that youthful desire to lift weights came from my body type. It certainly didn't come from knowledge my family and friends possessed - no one in my family worked out, and women certainly didn't do strength-training. However, by that age I recall reading a book on Mae West, still one of my favorite actresses, and knew she'd kept her enviable curves and small waist from bodybuilding exercises. She also avoided drinking alcohol and smoking in order to keep her figure and keep her skin looking youthful, even though drinking and smoking were extremely common among actors in her time. I think that might have lit a fire under me for the weight-training and clean living, LOL.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is people who are drawn to yoga, Pilates, or other programs heavy on stretching and flexibility. That's still a viable form of movement, although perhaps it can't make the body composition changes other forms of training do. I don't know if that's an endomorph or a mesomorph thing, enjoying stretching, or simply something people are drawn to who are naturally flexible. I was always drawn to dance and stretching exercises, but am naturally very flexible. Yoga can be a gateway to regular movement for people who are not a fan of exercising, or for heavier people who feel really uncomfortable in a traditional aerobics or gym class. Depending upon the type of yoga, it can still build some strength and endurance, help people recover from day to day life, and aid in getting used to moving one's body in a structured way. Just wondering what others' thoughts are on flexibility and yoga when looking at it from a body type standpoint.

I know I'm an ecto and the test merely confirmed it. I already like heavy weights, but I will not be reducing my cardio any time soon. I need it for handling depression and stress, so the mental benefits outweigh aesthetics 100%.

I am advised to "keep cardio to a minimum until I am happy with my body and how it looks." Problem here is that there are massive misc-conceptions and assumptions: 1) I am not unhappy with my looks: I have always been a lean ruler, athletic looking and I'm good with that. 2) people do not pursue fitness simply for aesthetic purposes.

I see struggling constantly to change what your body naturally is as a sisyphean task: ultimately senseless.

Clare

I agree, Clare. I started getting overuse injuries when I tried to work out with daily cardio as I'm "told" to do, being an endomorph/mesomorph. It was too much on my Achilles tendons and knees, even though I worked up to it and had a good base of fitness first. I also stopped seeing muscular results when I started doing all that cardio. My appetite for sweets went up again too, which is a definite no-no. I felt better when I pulled it back to 2-3 days a week on cardio and 3 days a week of lifting. Yes, tons of cardio on top of tons of weight-training might eventually make me the world's ideal, but I'd be miserable and full of injuries to do it. It took near-starvation, constant workouts and too many fat-burning supplements for the health of my whole body to stay at my lowest weight. I'm heavier than what most of the world would like, but I'm trim and fit for me (in other words, I weigh less, am healthier, and more active than I was in high school).

I love myself as I am now, and have made peace with my body. Life is too short to live any other way, IMHO. It doesn't mean I don't work out and live healthy though, just the opposite.

I agree, Clare. I started getting overuse injuries when I tried to work out with daily cardio as I'm "told" to do, being an endomorph/mesomorph. It was too much on my Achilles tendons and knees, even though I worked up to it and had a good base of fitness first. I also stopped seeing muscular results when I started doing all that cardio. ...Yes, tons of cardio on top of tons of weight-training might eventually make me the world's ideal, but I'd be miserable and full of injuries to do it.

Fascinating read on this thread.

IMHO, the issue with somatotyping is that almost nobody is a pure enough anything-morph to use that data for anything much more than a thumbnail guide... with the possible exception of trying to ascertain one's metabolic rate. Those few pure ecto's and endo's aside, that is...

Some thoughts I had reading this:

Just about "any-morph" is going to lag in muscle development if they split their recovery capacity across lifting and a bunch of cardio.
The injuries and joint pain accumulate over time, too. Just because you CAN tolerate high impact exercise, doesn't mean it is a
good long term solution to fitness. A particular double whammy that can result from following endomorph advice is that all the
prescribed calorie restriction and cardio is also a great way to mess up your recovery ability and make you even more injury prone.

What's the "ideal weight", exactly, anyway? I'm not sure it exists.
Two people my height could be the same weight and worlds apart in body fat and lean mass.
Two people my height could be pounds apart yet have the same body fat percentage.

The better question is perhaps what your best body would be in terms of muscle mass, and
at that point, what reasonable body fat do you feel comfortable carrying? That part comes down to health,
difficulty of managing nutrition, and aesthetics. Only at the end does body type come into it, in the sense
that one person might easily maintain 14% body fat, while another can't get below 20 or 25% without a superhuman
ongoing effort. In that case, it's a personal decision what you are willing to do.

The interesting thing is that the end result isn't only about body fat. If you build enough muscle, the body fat isn't such a big deal,
as long as the level isn't so high it becomes unhealthy... so even an endomorph can look fairly lean, and be at a healthy body
fat level, if only that endomorph trains to a decent level of muscle to accompany the fat the genetic lottery has dealt him or her.

To attempt to go lower will probably cost muscle mass - note the picture below - the 15% girl or 10% guy on the right might
think they need to "diet down to finally see that six pack" when in fact they need to put the calorie restriction and cardio on
hold and gain muscle instead.

Does that mean the skinny-fat person is genetically cursed, or just that they are chasing the wrong goal?

If the "morph" I supposedly am says I can't get below 15% body fat without being overobsessed,
I'd rather be the 15% on the left, any day.....

women-vs-men-visual-fat.jpg

food for thought,

Dorus

although perhaps it can't make the body composition changes other forms of training do. I don't know if that's an endomorph or a mesomorph thing, enjoying stretching, or simply something people are drawn to who are naturally flexible.
Oh, I have seen in myself and in others, including men, drastic body composition changes due mainly to a consistent pilates practice, whether it be rehabilitative pilates or more fitness themed workouts incorporating the main principles of pilates. Perhaps this is a silly anecdotal example to be citing, ;) but I happen to have had a few male friends who were dancers for entertainment (not exactly the ballet). They practiced pilates 2-3 times a week and their main workouts were gymnastics influenced (with those hanging bars) bodyweight practice with short anaerobic cardio workouts. I am a weights lover usually, although I am not convinced that it's necessary for everyone. Of course, getting back to the body type discussion you were talking about, men (most often) do not carry excess weight in the same areas we do.

I did the test and found my answer spot on with what I already knew and it just reaffirmed my confusion on how best to workout for me!

I am 60% Meso, 40% Endo. The workout suggestions are contradictory, with an almost 50-50 split it's hard to know what is best.

The site/response would have been much more helpful if instead of listing the suggestions for each body type separately, that there was actually a true "Meso/Endo" body type suggestion.

I agree, it would have been helpful to have workout suggestions for those of us who have "combined" body types. I took the test, and my results were 50/50 between mesomorph and endomorph. I guess I will "combine" the suggestions for each body type and try to tweak my workouts accordingly!

Thanks for reviving this thread. :) Very informative.

Fascinating read on this thread.

IMHO, the issue with somatotyping is that almost nobody is a pure enough anything-morph to use that data for anything much more than a thumbnail guide... with the possible exception of trying to ascertain one's metabolic rate. Those few pure ecto's and endo's aside, that is...

Some thoughts I had reading this:

Just about "any-morph" is going to lag in muscle development if they split their recovery capacity across lifting and a bunch of cardio.
The injuries and joint pain accumulate over time, too. Just because you CAN tolerate high impact exercise, doesn't mean it is a
good long term solution to fitness. A particular double whammy that can result from following endomorph advice is that all the
prescribed calorie restriction and cardio is also a great way to mess up your recovery ability and make you even more injury prone.

What's the "ideal weight", exactly, anyway? I'm not sure it exists.
Two people my height could be the same weight and worlds apart in body fat and lean mass.
Two people my height could be pounds apart yet have the same body fat percentage.

The better question is perhaps what your best body would be in terms of muscle mass, and
at that point, what reasonable body fat do you feel comfortable carrying? That part comes down to health,
difficulty of managing nutrition, and aesthetics. Only at the end does body type come into it, in the sense
that one person might easily maintain 14% body fat, while another can't get below 20 or 25% without a superhuman
ongoing effort. In that case, it's a personal decision what you are willing to do.

The interesting thing is that the end result isn't only about body fat. If you build enough muscle, the body fat isn't such a big deal,
as long as the level isn't so high it becomes unhealthy... so even an endomorph can look fairly lean, and be at a healthy body
fat level, if only that endomorph trains to a decent level of muscle to accompany the fat the genetic lottery has dealt him or her.

To attempt to go lower will probably cost muscle mass - note the picture below - the 15% girl or 10% guy on the right might
think they need to "diet down to finally see that six pack" when in fact they need to put the calorie restriction and cardio on
hold and gain muscle instead.

Does that mean the skinny-fat person is genetically cursed, or just that they are chasing the wrong goal?

If the "morph" I supposedly am says I can't get below 15% body fat without being overobsessed,
I'd rather be the 15% on the left, any day.....

View attachment 5261

food for thought,

Dorus
wow, thank you!! food for thought indeed!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is people who are drawn to yoga, Pilates, or other programs heavy on stretching and flexibility. That's still a viable form of movement, although perhaps it can't make the body composition changes other forms of training do. I don't know if that's an endomorph or a mesomorph thing, enjoying stretching, or simply something people are drawn to who are naturally flexible.

Flexibility being one of fitness component, we shall all aim at doing some workouts.
Some individuals are just naturally more flexible than others but still it's something anyone can improve. It's probably a "politically correct"
goal compared to a pure aesthetic goal!:eek::) ===> Not being snarky here!!

I am aware Somatotyping bodies is not an "exact science";);):)

http://cathe.com/flexibility-fitness-can-flexibile
http://cathe.com/flexibility-changes-age
http://cathe.com/does-resistance-training-reduce-flexibility

Last edited:

I have been part of this forum for many years during which few ectomorph have gained muscles
and/or the aesthetic of "their dream":). They have used various program on the market, including STS:).
ATB

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.