What is your body type - Get to know it to determine an effective workout routine

Hi Everyone,

What is your body type? Should you not know, here is a helpful test.

Bodybuilding.com - What Is Your Body Type? Take Our Test!

Do you ramdomly choose rotation, do you custom it according to your goal and/or body type? Do you set your goal striving to improve what your body is naturally able to excel in and/or you occasionally strive to gain other benefit through training?

Please share your thoughts on this.

I have done the test above and it came up mesomorph. Yes, I have numerously:D:D stated I love moderate to heavy weight training and intervals but I know endurance is also important. I do aim to gain an overall balance even though my heart is more inclined to what my body type is naturally able to excel in.

What are your thoughts;)
Can not wait to read your post,

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
Gaining muscle is easy for me. It's the losing fat that can be a real pain.

I'm also a mesomorph. But I believe I have part endomorph too though. I really love/crave sweets such as anything chocolate and ice cream. So I have a hard time loosing that stubborn fat that covers the muscle :(

Forgot to add that my favorite workouts are heavy weights and HiiT.

Last edited:
I knew before taking the test I was a mesomorph.

I did not know when I realised my inclination for lifting moderate to heavy though :eek: .Although I lacked knowledge then about my body type, I knew there was no way I could look like kate moss going through any type of diet!:D:D
My anatomical skeleton look way to far from that type of shape:p;)

At the time I did not even know much about the benefit I could gain;);)

Tracy you are welcome. I thought I had to share as it's important to know the body type and set both goal (which has to be realistic...)and rotation accordingly.

My results say I'm between an ectomorph and mesomorph. Very interesting. I gain muscle on my legs easily but, I have a hard time gaining muscle on my arms. So, I guess it makes sense that I am in between the two.

It says I am between an endo and a meso. That makes sense to me because I gain muscle easily everywhere, but I also have a hard time losing fat. My problem was never in the gym--it has always been in the kitchen!:eek:

What is your body type

Yeah! Mesomorph! I actually weigh less than I did when I graduated from High school but I am trying to put on some size.In college the beer took care of that!;)

Meso that loves heavy weight and hiit. I find the profile accurate. I'm very petite my wrist is 4.5 cm but I can put on muscle easily. I have to watch how much I train or my arms get to big for my shirt sleeves.

And no I don't want to change my shirt styles to 80's muscle shirt tees :D

Thank you Nathalie for this thread. Heard of body types for many years, but just now realizing it may help me.

Can anyone give me an idea on how to workout with a split body type?

I'm a Endomorph and a Mesomorph. Thinking I'm more of a Endomorph because I tend not to gain a lot of muscle easily.

They both contradict each other. How would I blend the two for a good workout and what workouts does Cathe have to help with my two body types. I feel like a split person.

Janie

Last edited:
Thank you Nathalie for this thread. Heard of body types for many years, but just now realizing it may help me.

Can anyone give me an idea on how to workout with a split body type?

I'm a Endomorph and a Mesomorph. Thinking I'm more of a Endomorph because I tend not to gain a lot of muscle easily.

They both contradict each other. How would I blend the two for a good workout and what workouts does Cathe have to help with my two body types. I feel like a split person.

Janie

Hi Janie,

You are welcome. Thanks for popping in on this tread. I am so glad you find it helpful.

IMO knowing the body part, is very important piece of information to have before setting any goal. Yes each body is different but without knowing the body type, setting up/customizing a program does not make sense! For me it's like working out aiming to achieve a goal while missing out an important equipment! It's part of knowing yourself!

split training such as STS once per week is enough for maintenance: CST, B&B (Back and biceps), legs. We need 48 hours for recovery. Now I personally workout 2 per week for legs cause I am not where I want to be as yet. I try to split it bearing in mind I need 48 hours recovery.

Janie, I know you like bodybuilding program. Each day per week such as leg day one, chest day two, shoulders day3, triceps day 4 and biceps day 5 is also safe and feasible to build more muscles. This is of course not everyone taste:p:cool: I hope cathe come up with such split :eek: 5-6ds. Well we already have 4ds, why not challenge ourselves even further ;);) I would be the first to pull out my card:eek::)

For us meso and endomorph we need both cardio and weight to a equal ratio (subject to the goal). We both need to watch what we eat. The good news on this is once we have put a hard workout and a clean eating in, we can really see those definition considering we are lifting moderate to heavy;). if Endormorphism is more predominant in the frame compared to mesomorphism, lifting moderate is enough.

That is my opinion. Hope cathe comes up with her own newsletter defining 3 body type and recommending a cardio/weight frequency per week.

Kind Regards Janie:)

I'm a Mesomorph. I haven't trained to a certain body type in the past, but lately I have been 'sticking to what works for me'. I've found that a 5 day a week schedule seems to be a sweet spot for me. I'm pretty sure that is also age related. 5 days a week lets me workout hard those days with adequate rest. I've also found that I don't need as much cardio as I thought I needed :confused: Two days seems to be plenty. 5 days also keeps my hunger in check. 6 days a week makes me extremely hungry and it's much easier for me to over eat and eat the wrong foods. 5 days leaves me less hungry and I feel like I can make better food choices because I don't feel like I'm starving all the time.

I'm a Mesomorph. I haven't trained to a certain body type in the past, but lately I have been 'sticking to what works for me'. I've found that a 5 day a week schedule seems to be a sweet spot for me. I'm pretty sure that is also age related. 5 days a week lets me workout hard those days with adequate rest. I've also found that I don't need as much cardio as I thought I needed :confused: Two days seems to be plenty. 5 days also keeps my hunger in check. 6 days a week makes me extremely hungry and it's much easier for me to over eat and eat the wrong foods. 5 days leaves me less hungry and I feel like I can make better food choices because I don't feel like I'm starving all the time.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Toni.

Meso 2 does make me hungry. I felt it this morning. I don't eat before working out. It makes me uncomfortable and take out the mental focus. As soon as I am done with my workout I need to eat. After cardio I can hold on slightly longer before eating. When I am lifting meso 2 especially , as soon as I am done I need to eat!:D

Hi Janie,

You are welcome. Thanks for popping in on this tread. I am so glad you find it helpful.

IMO knowing the body part, is very important piece of information to have before setting any goal. Yes each body is different but without knowing the body type, setting up/customizing a program does not make sense! For me it's like working out aiming to achieve a goal while missing out an important equipment! It's part of knowing yourself!

split training such as STS once per week is enough for maintenance: CST, B&B (Back and biceps), legs. We need 48 hours for recovery. Now I personally workout 2 per week for legs cause I am not where I want to be as yet. I try to split it bearing in mind I need 48 hours recovery.

Janie, I know you like bodybuilding program. Each day per week such as leg day one, chest day two, shoulders day3, triceps day 4 and biceps day 5 is also safe and feasible to build more muscles. This is of course not everyone taste:p:cool: I hope cathe come up with such split :eek: 5-6ds. Well we already have 4ds, why not challenge ourselves even further ;);) I would be the first to pull out my card:eek::)

For us meso and endomorph we need both cardio and weight to a equal ratio (subject to the goal). We both need to watch what we eat. The good news on this is once we have put a hard workout and a clean eating in, we can really see those definition considering we are lifting moderate to heavy;). if Endormorphism is more predominant in the frame compared to mesomorphism, lifting moderate is enough.

That is my opinion. Hope cathe comes up with her own newsletter defining 3 body type and recommending a cardio/weight frequency per week.

Kind Regards Janie:)

Nathalie,

Thank you for the helpful tips. I will keep all that in mind personalizing a rotation for myself.

Janie

What is your body type

Nathalie...Just trying to lift heavy,,push it and eating a minimum of 200 grams of protein/day. Not using the beer now days...(darn) Enjoying meso 2! I don't want to make the mistake of under eating. I've done that before and it is really hard to make strength gains when you do.I want to feel that when I'm done I'm SPENT and it seems to be working:)

Thanks for the link, Nathalie. I'm an ectomorph. When reading about what strength training would be good it said the pyramid style-which I love and always makes me feel so worked out! It said to rest a good minute to a minute and a half between sets. Anyway...I'm still reading through all the information and appreciate the link.

Beth

What is your body type

Thanks for the link Nathalie! I thought it was interesting that most of the answers showed a tendency to be mesomorph. That is a classic athletic body type and I wonder if weight training is more attractive to them?? We tend to enjoy things we are suited for. Just wondering.......

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.