What is your body type - Get to know it to determine an effective workout routine

Oh, I have seen in myself and in others, including men, drastic body composition changes due mainly to a consistent pilates practice, whether it be rehabilitative pilates or more fitness themed workouts incorporating the main principles of pilates. Perhaps this is a silly anecdotal example to be citing, ;) but I happen to have had a few male friends who were dancers for entertainment (not exactly the ballet). They practiced pilates 2-3 times a week and their main workouts were gymnastics influenced (with those hanging bars) bodyweight practice with short anaerobic cardio workouts. I am a weights lover usually, although I am not convinced that it's necessary for everyone. Of course, getting back to the body type discussion you were talking about, men (most often) do not carry excess weight in the same areas we do.

I agree that if someone is doing challenging bodyweight workouts and Pilates, they may not need any weight-training. Unless an individual is losing too much muscle or bone mass loss for their age, those two-three fitness methods could be all they need. I'm personally a full-figured woman, possess long arms, and cannot hold my own weight with flawless form enough to gain muscle solely via bodyweight training - I must use free weights or machines with weight to gain or even just maintain muscle. It's great so many training methods are known today, that we can each choose the one(s) that work for us as individuals. :)

I'm a big believer in regular stretching/Yoga/Pilates, especially those exercises and stretches done on the floor. Getting down on the floor, kneeling, being able to get up without a struggle, sitting cross-legged...these are all things we take for granted when we're younger. However, many people lose the ability to do all of these things as they age. I've watched my 61-year-old mother go from being a normal working woman taking on a two-hour commute and a full-time job every day for 37 years, to someone who is over 400 lbs. (much of the weight gained from Type II diabetes medications), cannot get up by herself if she falls, cannot kneel or squat, needs grab bars throughout her house, and has severely hunched shoulders. Her sedentary lifestyle and refusal to do any workouts on a regular basis will at least in part be the death of her. She can no longer drive and is basically a prisoner of her house because of her body. My grandmother aged in a similar fashion, also due primarily to her chosen lifestyle. They were a warning to me of what's to come if I do not eat well, do cardio, train with weights, and regularly get on the floor and stretch. I write this up simply to light a fire under myself, not to put my mom or grandmother down. Stretching can really maintain a valuable element of youthfulness.

Last edited:
Fascinating read on this thread.

IMHO, the issue with somatotyping is that almost nobody is a pure enough anything-morph to use that data for anything much more than a thumbnail guide... with the possible exception of trying to ascertain one's metabolic rate. Those few pure ecto's and endo's aside, that is...

Some thoughts I had reading this:

Just about "any-morph" is going to lag in muscle development if they split their recovery capacity across lifting and a bunch of cardio.
The injuries and joint pain accumulate over time, too. Just because you CAN tolerate high impact exercise, doesn't mean it is a
good long term solution to fitness. A particular double whammy that can result from following endomorph advice is that all the
prescribed calorie restriction and cardio is also a great way to mess up your recovery ability and make you even more injury prone.

What's the "ideal weight", exactly, anyway? I'm not sure it exists.
Two people my height could be the same weight and worlds apart in body fat and lean mass.
Two people my height could be pounds apart yet have the same body fat percentage.

The better question is perhaps what your best body would be in terms of muscle mass, and
at that point, what reasonable body fat do you feel comfortable carrying? That part comes down to health,
difficulty of managing nutrition, and aesthetics. Only at the end does body type come into it, in the sense
that one person might easily maintain 14% body fat, while another can't get below 20 or 25% without a superhuman
ongoing effort. In that case, it's a personal decision what you are willing to do.

The interesting thing is that the end result isn't only about body fat. If you build enough muscle, the body fat isn't such a big deal,
as long as the level isn't so high it becomes unhealthy... so even an endomorph can look fairly lean, and be at a healthy body
fat level, if only that endomorph trains to a decent level of muscle to accompany the fat the genetic lottery has dealt him or her.

To attempt to go lower will probably cost muscle mass - note the picture below - the 15% girl or 10% guy on the right might
think they need to "diet down to finally see that six pack" when in fact they need to put the calorie restriction and cardio on
hold and gain muscle instead.

Does that mean the skinny-fat person is genetically cursed, or just that they are chasing the wrong goal?

If the "morph" I supposedly am says I can't get below 15% body fat without being overobsessed,
I'd rather be the 15% on the left, any day.....

View attachment 5261

food for thought,

Dorus

I'm 5'7", and 160 lbs on me is skinny. As in, "go any lower than this, I'll look gaunt and ill" skinny. I have a thin face and very thin hands even at a much higher weight than 160 lbs. However, someone else with the same height as me could weight 125 lbs and look fabulous. It comes down to a combination of things within our bodies and brains that even the most brilliant minds probably are still not privy to, despite all of the scientific or medical studies done. We are truly living in the Information Age, and that's wonderful. However, none of that information trumps what we see in a mirror. Everyone is different.

I'm not interested in getting down to 15% body fat, although I understand why some want to approach that level. I'm content with who I am, and I don't value myself differently because of the number on a caliber, scale or measuring tape. I'm training to maintain mobility and fitness over a lifetime so that I don't end up dependent and frail in old age, despite only being in my thirties. Obviously I'm normal and want to be as trim as my genetics will allow, but that's not what I train for, it's merely a side effect of training in my case.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.