Xtrainers

It's pouring here and we are expecting anywhere from 2 to 6 inches of snow tonite. Unbelievable. Then on Monday we are climbing to 71 degrees. I have never seen such a rollercoaster of weather. Everyone is sick.

I am not motivated today nor was I yesterday. I do all this working out and I eat pretty clean, yet nothing ever changes on me. I still look the same. I do not get stronger or more muscular or thinner. I really wish I could find out what I am doing wrong.

What eating plan do you all follow? Do you get results, are you thinner, fitter, more muscular, healthier, wearing smaller clothes? Am I the only one who nothing changes on, who still cannot do a straight-leg pushup, jump onto a step, or do burpees? Maybe I was meant for something else like running and some other sport, perhaps tennis or swimming. I am so tired of spinning my wheels and getting nowhere.

We bought a gorgeous 2017 Jeep Wrangler this week - bright red and so cool-looking. Gerry has wanted one for quite some time and I never looked twice at them as they did not interest me in the least. So one day we went just to see what they were priced at. As soon as we approached this vehicle I knew the day was not going to end well. Three hours later it was ours. I think I love it even more than Gerry and that's a lot. I told him if he tires of it, he has to keep it until my current lease is up then I will take this one over.

Shelley - Nothing changes on me as far as size. I have been the same size for years. I don't workout for "looks" any longer. I work out so that I continue to be healthy and to feel good. I don't want to be one of those older woman that is sickly, can't walk, etc. I hear there are woman in the Cathe live classes that are in their 60's and 70's. I want that to be me. I am going to be 50 this year and while I am much bigger than I was when I was younger but I feel great so that is all I care about. I spent way too many years worrying about the number on the scale or what size clothes I wear - no more. I don't have time for that!
Good luck with the new vehicle.

Lisa, that is an amazing attitude. I am not even sure why I bother with it. I feel like I want to come to a certain weight and then maintain and that certain weight seems unattainable. It sucks.

Shelley, I feel exactly the same as you do. I feel like I am spinning wheels with no results. I am exhausted. One thing I looked at was Adrenal Reset
http://adrenalresetdiet.com/
Check it out and see what you think of it. One thing I have recently started is Plant protein shake. Garden of Life I drink it in the morning half before I workout and the other after I workout. I also add some extra veggies and I have gone back to making sure my portion sizes are under control. I added brown rice to the mix.
-Kiran

Susan, I am visiting her next week with the kids. She is doing ok. The new meds are giving her bone pain. This week she is better but she goes in for her 6th chemo Friday.
-Kiran

K ~ That is terrible about your friend. I am sending healing vibes her way. On being exhausted, remember you are taking care of yourself and two kids, so cut yourself some slack. I remember when the kids were young all the driving around to activities, parties, etc. I was tired all the time. I finally feel like I am catching up on my sleep after having them in the house for 20 years between the two of them!

Shelley~ I have been loosely following one of Jen's live rotation this week and I really enjoyed it. I am going to look at her other weeks as well. I am kind of burned out on the DVD's.

Hello to Kathy and Susan!

It is day three of raining and I am over it. Hopefully the weekend will be nice. I want to go into the city for dinner tomorrow.:)

Today was Total Body Giant Sets Live. I enjoyed this much more than the DVD version. It was nonstop and my heart rate was up the whole time.

Lisa I truly admire your candor and your self-confidence. I wish I had some of it! I am 59 and I am afraid I have passed the point of no return. And while I really really love Cathe Live, I am starting to theorize that where I am in life, the Live programs are not enough. Most of them are pretty metabolic but I need more weightlifting, much as I hate to admit it. My upper body is so weak. I have a strong core and my legs are pretty strong. But as it has been said before, the Live programs do not use heavy enough weights for me to build my upper body strength and increase my metabolism. And that is because of my age and of fighting that my system is slowing down.

So, all of that being said, I think I am going to keep on doing several Live workouts a week for the fun factor and the metabolic benefit, but I think I have to head back over to DVDs for strength building. And much as I dislike body-part workouts, they are the only ones that work our parts long enough and heavy enough to see results.

I did upper body weights and core this morning. On Saturdays I am going to try to always do the latest Live workout so I can keep up with the new ones. Yesterday's workout looked to be pretty cardio-based. I'm really going to start mixing it up.

I do agree that the Live total body giant sets, along with the two Live PHAT workouts are better than the DVD counterparts.

I ordered the Fit Tower workouts this morning - both the DVDs and the downloads so if I want to just bring my laptop down in case my VCR ever crashes, at least I'll have something to do. I probably should have been purchasing downloads all this time. Not sure how long VCR players will be available. I am very curious to see how these workouts can be considered advanced and I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Back to the subject of Live classes and their participants. It is so depressing to me to see class members larger and heavier than me who can effortlessly jump two-footed onto a step with two risers underneath, or do high jacks where their legs split apart way up in the air. I barely come an inch off the ground. I had begun to convince myself that it was my lack of being a lightweight that prevented me from doing so, but now that I see these class members, I just don't get it. I know I keep harping about this but I so want to conquer that move, along with straight leg pushups. I wonder if I wrote to Cathe if she would reply and help me with this.

Kiran I am sure my adrenals are shot. From what I read, one way to know is that we frighten easily. When Gerry comes into a room, I get so startled, I scream, gasp, sweat, shake. When someone comes to my door at my office and I am deep in thought, and they knock or speak my name, I literally come right out of my chair. I sleep with one ear open at all times and I am terrified of noises in the night.

There are so many diets out there and when you read about them, they are all largely the same. What attracted you to this particular diet - did you hear or read something about it? I probably should consume more protein powder since I don't eat meat. Perhaps this is why I don't put on muscle. Summer is coming and I just didn't want to have to worry about bare arms and legs for yet another season :-( So frustrating . . .

Lisa what is your secret and how did you come into this wonderful mode of self-acceptance? You are most likely very trim and fit to begin with and you are just describing yourself different than that!

Hope everyone else is doing well - Susan / Kathy / Saundra and everyone else who has been a part of our group over the years - greetings to all!!!

Shelley ~ I am fit but FAR from trim!! I have never put the two together. I can do things much thinner folks cannot. I am 5'2 and wear a size 10/12. I don't know how much I weigh as I don't weigh myself. We do not have a scale in the house. I was tired of having a teenager that was #2 in her graduating class of a very competitive HS being a slave to the number on the scale. We go by how our clothes feel. I have no secret on self acceptance - I think it's just my age. I have a wonderful husband, great kids, and we all live a privileged lifestyle. Being a certain size will not change that. Life is way too short too short. If my size was effecting my health, then I would do something about it.
I have been lifting weights for well over 30 years, so I have a really solid base. My UB has always been weaker. There is a layer of fat over it all of course :D.

The protein is a factor in my opinion. I eat a lot of it. I have a protein powder for breakfast, greek yogurt for lunch and meat or eggs and veggies for dinner. My grains are brown rice, oatmeal and Ezekiel bread. If I have crackers they are ancient grain based. I every once and a while have pasta. Snacks are protein bars, fruit and nuts/nut butters. The weekends are more lax since we go out a lot plus I like my alcohol. I do still eat sweets which is why I never lose weight. I like my Skinny Cow ice cream.

If you don't eat meat, you need to find other good sources of protein -eggs, greek yogurt, quinoa, nuts, beans, hemp, chia seeds etc. There are a lot of vegetarian protein powders/bars as well. I have to push Margaret on this since she is a vegetarian :)

Shelley, My diet consisted of meat and veggies and eggs no sugar diet. I was sick of not having a little more carbs. I was just on the internet looking for good diets that uses both. I took the quiz and it told me I was stressed no news there. But, decided to try it. No carb or 1/4 cup serving carb breakfast, 1/2 cup serving of carb in the afternoon and 1 cup serving of carb in the night.
I am seeing some movement. I will let you know how it progresses.
As for pushups try the pushups that Cathe introduces on LIC DVD. That is one way of increasing your strength.
I am trying this Garden of Life protein powder which is pretty good here is the link

https://www.gardenoflife.com/content/product/why-choose-raw-fit/

Lisa, I hope to get where you are. That to me is nirvana :)
-Kiran

Last edited:
Kiran---I am so sorry to hear that your friend's new meds are causing more pain for her. I was once asked if I had a super power what would I choose.....I thought wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to cure people of all illness and ailment? I will keep your friend in my thoughts.

I watched a live episode on FB Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo concerning protein intake and fat loss. The RDA is only .36 gram per body weight and she recommends .8 gr per #. For her weight of 150# the RDA recommends 56 grams of protein. She said she eats around 120 grams a day unless she is training and then she eats more. It was very interesting and if I knew how to share it on FB or here I would.

I'm with you and Shelley with no luck on weight loss unless I literally starve myself. Even then it doesn't amount to much, 5# maybe. I'm a worrier that is stressed every minute of every day....and drive Abby and Chris crazy! LOL My sister and I have wanted to have our adrenal glands checked but there is no where near us that does it.

Shelley---I think Cathe would respond to you if you asked her your questions.
Doesn't body anatomy have something to do with a person's ability to do on the toes push-ups, burpees and I would imagine even jumping onto a step. I thought I had read something about people with a longer torso having difficulty doing straight leg push-ups. My wrists are so weak that I can only do 10!! Not sure if that means my forearms are weak??? I'm tall so jumping on/off the step has never been a problem for me. Burpees for me are a mind issue.....I dislike them therefore I don't try to do them often anymore. But again, how we are "built" has to have some bearing on our abilities to perform different exercises. I would ask Cathe.....you'll get a response from her and others. :)

Gerry's new Jeep sounds fantastic!! I love some of the red paint on the vehicles lately. Does the paint have the metallic in it? I'll bet you look awesome driving it!! :cool:

I would do your weight workouts if you would do my cardio workouts! :p As you know, I've always enjoyed doing weight work but I love it even more now for the health benefits that I'm supposed to get from it as I age.
What don't you like about weights? It can get repetitive but there are many ways to change up how you do them.

Abby has been doing homeschool PE and we've joined her. She has lost so much weight and I am still them same. It is very discouraging. I don't use a scale :eek: but go by how my clothes fit. My problem areas are my stomach area and arms. I have that ugly layer of bumpy fat covering both areas. My legs seem to be getting better with the heavier weight work but I'm not liking the muscles I'm getting. My pants were fitting nicely with all the TM and spin workouts. I know none of this helps you, but hopefully you'll feel less like it's something you are doing wrong if you hear that others are dealing with the same problems.

I wish Cathe would do a boot camp of sorts with rotations and diet for older women.

Lisa---I'm not a scale person either....not with weight lifting! Abby has been doing homeschool PE and is seeing dramatic results but loves to use the scale. She loves running, elliptical and spinning but not weights.

I like my Prosecco and wine on the weekends, too! Tried a Hurricane last weekend.....wow! Potent stuff! Oh and can't forget that occasional piece of dark chocolate. And I wonder why I'm not seeing any improvement???? LOL

Shelley--I forgot to mention that I startle very easily, too. When I walk down an isle in a store and someone walks into the isle, I jump and scream. Most people are so apologetic, but it's not their fault. Of course, Chris loves it and takes every opportunity to see me jump and holler. :rolleyes:

Kathy---Hi!!! Hope you are having a restful weekend!!

Saundra---how are you doing? Are you running any marathons this month?

Jann---Bet you are getting some tough workouts in with all the gardening you are doing!

Thurs---Chest, Tris and planks
Fri---3 mile interval TM with weighted vest and Legs on the machines
Sat---30 min spin, shoulder & bis & weighted abs

Last edited:
Susan I applaud you for still doing splits. One month I will get back to them but I am loving the Cathe live too much! I too have more fat on my upper body. It's not an age thing my legs have always responded better. I finally got Margaret to start lifting some weights this past year but she is mainly spin TM and elliptical as well!

We had a great dinner in the city last night. The weather also cooperated so we did a lot of walking. It was 55 degrees when we left there at 10pm!
Today is equally as nice with more sun. I was outside for a little but I have laundry to do before my massage and blow out. I hope the weather continues for next week into the weekend.

Yesterday was a rest day and today was All About Legs Live. 70 minutes of torture . I won't be able to walk tomorrow!

Hi ladies..

Lisa: I love your way of thinking. I wish I could think that way. I workout to be healthy too and to be still working out when I am 60 and above. I long for that. However, I am still such a slave to the numbers and being thinner. I have days I don't care as long as I am healthy and days I am down on myself for not being the number I think I should or want to be!!! I am trying to get better. But, it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully, some day I can feel that way.

Saturday was Muscle Max for me and rest with a little walk yesterday. The weather was super.

Hi all - yesterday was Strong Upper Body with Core and today Hi-Lo Cardio with Core.

The weather is SO nice here. Hopefully we have turned the corner.

Hi everyone.

Kiran have a safe and a happy trip and Happy Easter to you and your family.

Lisa what method do you choose when you pick a workout from Live? I find myself going through the list to match up the name you post so I can read which one you did and what it was about, as well as if you liked it or not.

Susan is Prosecco a type of wine or is it a liqueur? I have to look that word up. I laughed out loud when you described how you get frightened in the store when someone comes around the corner. I really saw myself in that description!

I have to say I dislike cardio more now than ever and much prefer weight work. My favorite though is low impact hiit and metabolic workouts. Those seem to really get me winded without having to jump in the air. My wrists are also weak and cannot sustain a pushup or a burpee. I see heavy girls in the Live classes and they jump two-footed upon the step with two risers and they make it look as though they are taking a stroll in a local park. So that blows my theory about needing to be light in order to do that move. Someday I will ask Cathe or maybe when her assistants finally get to our little checkout and read what we write, she will make a blog out of the subject of jumps and air jacks.
I should really spin at least once a week but spinning was more fun in a live class at the gym with an instructor. Someday maybe I will get a Pelaton bike and do the numerous workouts they have online.

I am definitely a scale person. I don’t think that will ever change. I have read that high protein is not as good as once thought and that we should be on ketogenic diets that are high in healthy fats, moderate in protein, and low in carbs. The carbs should only be veggies. If not ketogenic then we should be on intermittent fasting where we confine our food intake to six or eight hours in one day. After that we eat nothing until the next day. It gives the body time to heal and reset itself without having to worry about digestion as well. Supposed to be great for those with autoimmune conditions too.

Kiran I will look up that protein. I have used Pumpkin Seed and Sun Warrior, and Shaklee, as well as Gelatin proteins. I have tried bone broth protein and nearly “lost it”. Maybe because I don’t like the taste of meat. Please keep me informed on your progress. The Mediterranean Diet is pretty much what I feel my food intake is most closely related to. When I used to do Atkins, I had no energy for my workouts and would repeatedly hit a wall.

Lisa your food intake is very healthy, and I do not consider size 10/12 to be large at all. Again – you have a marvelous outlook on life and on your position in the grand scheme of world order. I too eat eggs, greek yogurt, some fruit, more veggies, cheese, nuts and seeds such as almonds, pecans, hemp, chia, flax meal, lots of romain lettuce, only olive oil and wine vinegar, no salt, one ounce of dark chocolate every day, organic rice cake with almond butter, etc. and I get nowhere. We do have pizza once a week, rarely do I eat pasta, the occasional ¼ of a subway turkey sub with veggies and no dressing, or else no other bread. No meat except for the occasional bit of chicken, protein powder. This week I am making a change – I have not had my red wine since Saturday evening whereas I was drinking two to three glasses per night. I want to see if that is causing an inflammatory reaction in me. Also I am not sleeping. I cannot go into the stressful reasons as to why not due to lack of privacy here, but I think being sleep-deprived is also causing my body to resist getting healthy.

I have to close up shop for the day. Talk to you all tomorrow!

Hi ladies...

Checking in last night with 4DS Low Intensity Step. Tonight I am doing Xtrain Bis & Tris with ab circuit weights/plates.

We have had some beautiful days here too. Love it!!!

Hi all!

Shelley~ I have loosely been following the Live rotation Jen created. I too enjoy weights more than cardio, but after lifting for all these years my elbow and shoulder have taken a toll, so I have been trying to mix it up. I love how metabolic the Live workouts are and also that core is almost always included. Alcohol and natural sugars are my downfall big time. I try to only have wine or tequila on the weekends, but sometimes it starts on Thursday night. I use skim milk in my latte and also eat a lot of fruits and veggies - all sugar, natural but still sugar. I just can't give up the fruit which is why I was never successful on Atkins either. My body does not react well with all that protein.

Today was Hi Lo Kickbox Live. Tomorrow I am going to attempt one of the Live Bootcamp classes just not sure which.

I am hoping to get a long hike in on Saturday and do nothing on Sunday besides a blowout :D

What is everyone doing this weekend?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.