XTrain 90 Day Undulating Rotation

Man, i may take another rest day.. Im having some personal problems with DH and it is so draining. Im not sure what to do. I know i need to move to feel better but right now i feel so heartbroken and honestly thinking of what i need to do is a streeser too.

Vickie i got combat in the mail finaly i watched kick start. Man loved the music! Yes i think it looks fun.
If anyone prays, my family can use it.

Last edited:
renee-- i am so sorry for whatever you are going through! relationships are so tough:(. if you need to talk, i am here. i went through some major gunk with my ex years ago and know what it is like. love and hugs to you and your family.

vicky-- yeah, my chest feels pretty strong, but my weakest link is still my shoulders. i am working at it, though! sounds like you were having quite the workout today! hope you got it all in before work:) i need to start getting my taxes together, too...

today was bis and tris. i added core 1 and the 100 rep challenges for both bis and tris. used a 28 lb barbell for the bi challenge and was really feeling a burn! hoping for some DOMS there, as i dont think i've gotten it for bis or tris yet and i have been going to failure. my chest is still sore today from sunday, though, and my lower body is still feeling it. should make tomorrow's tabatacise and burn sets interesting!

Hi Renee,
I am a little embarassed to admit that I have been a lurker/stalker to this thread. I just started the 90 day undulating rotation last Monday, so I have been reading all of the posts on this thread as I go. Thank you to all of you for paving the way for me as far as finding out what I am in for each day.

Anyhow Renee, my prayers are with your family. I'll tell you, when I have had emotional/personal issues I have found that I do feel better If I workout. However, I learned the hard way not to do anything with complex moves or the step. I ended up not paying attention to the moves and falling off or thinking, what am I suppose to be doing? On the other hand, sometimes it was just too much mentally to tackle any exercise. It is sad to say that for me, if too much is going on and something has to give, it is my workouts.

Thanks for all of your great posts and God bless you,
Melissa

Melissa! Thank you so much! Im a lurker, (well i was for a while) now i post to much im sure! Lol.
Thank you for the advice and the kind words. I try to joke alot and keep it in but once in a while i just get exaspirated i have to mention it. I am not like a person to hide alot lol i just dont like bringing others down. I hope i am not ever a depressing poster, if i ever get like that all of u any of u can tell me...say umm yah your getting to be a negitive nellie renee. Lol and ill stop. I appriciate ur post, it made me feel better actualy. But my head hurts from thinking all day n eyes look like Garfield lol.

Katied, thanks to u too! I appriciate ur words to, and i may take u up on talking to u one day. And like i said i sure hope i didnt depress the thread! I am a bubbly,silly kind of person ...usualy!

Katied im back just to say i love your family pics you have beautiful kids!! and i love love your dog!! that fluffy thing what kind is it? lol
And to say you Rik looks like he is a sweet fella! I can tell he has nice eyes!!

thank you renee! and i think we are all on here to support each other, not only with our fitness goals, but with all that each one of us goes through each day-- at least i hope so:). you totally crack me up all the time, so i would never say you are a downer! anyway, i am here if you need like i said and i will be praying for you and your family as well. oh, and the little fluffy dog is henri-- he is so old, almost 14!-- and a brussels griffon. i just gave him a trim today and he is all excited about it:).

welcome melissa! hope to see you on here even more:D

warming up more soup for dinner-- hope my stomach will approve and not bloat out again:eek::p

Greetings,
Unfortunately my schedule yesterday was kind of bonkers and I did not get to workout at all. Today I may do Les Mills Combat. Renee, you mentioned you had this series too. Have you done any of the workouts yet? I did them for about two weeks before I started XTrain and I liked them a lot. Excellent music, lots of energy, and trainers are very encouraging.

I ordered Ultimate Yogi today. I have never been a yoga person but I just feel like I need to do something totally different. I have not been getting a lot of results for the last few months, and so it is probably time to mix it up to either give my body a break and/or shock it into submission. My cardio endurance is improving, and I'm seeing more toning, but I'd like to slim down some and that is not happening. I know everyone says women can't get bulky from weight training, but my arms are getting bigger and even though my waist is getting more toned, I'm starting to get very block-y, if that makes sense.

I may still try to fit in some of the cardio from XTrain since I find some of the workouts to be fun, but I am dying for a new workout approach and I just need to listen to my body.

That said, I'll still follow this thread, and maybe I'll dump UY too, but I am not going to go right into Week 5 on XTrain for a little while.

Renee, I am sorry to hear that you're having stress with DH. Relationships certainly have their ups and down, that's for sure. I hope things are looking a little bit better today. Judging by the age of your boys, I'm going to guess you and your hubby have been together for a long time. You've probably seen the best and worse of each other many times over, because that's how relationships go. I second katied in that you're always welcome to vent. I see many Cathletes come to the boards just to share things they cannot always share with others, and the level of support here is amazing.

katied, I've been meaning to ask, is your whole family vegan? If you have a few minutes to share about how you came to be vegan, I would be interested in hearing about it. I was a veggie for many years, but moved back to eating some meat because a lean protein veggie diet helped me lose a lot of weight, but I certainly don't think it's the best or only option. Double Wave is my favorite too. I like the moves (except for those 1/4 turns, those things are brutal and you do them four times!), and I think the variety of the timing for each segment makes it go by more quickly.

Welcome back Terina!

FitVicky, I love that Les Mills series too. Have you ever done Body Pump? I have not, but I've seen clips and it looks interesting.

Melissa, welcome! I'm glad you decided to join us. We're a friendly group and look forward to chatting with you and hearing about your progress/results/feedback as you work through the XTrain rotation.

Eva

Recipe for Renee - Veggie Chili

Hi Renee,

I've seen you mention a few times that you like beans, so I thought you might like this recipe. I got it from Cooks Illustrated. It has a few ingredients like dried peppers and bulgur that might be new to you, but you can always ask your local grocery if they have them. They will probably have some kind of dried pepper and I think you can use whatever.

Best Vegetarian Chili

Published November 1, 2012. From Cook's Illustrated.
Serves 6 to 8.
Why this recipe works:

Vegetarian chilis are often little more than a mishmash of beans and vegetables. In order to create a chili—not a bean and vegetable stew—we’ve found replacements for the different ways in which meat adds depth and flavor to chili. Walnuts, soy sauce, dried shiitake mushrooms and tomatoes add hearty savoriness. Bulgur fills out the chili, giving it a substantial texture. The added oil and nuts lend a richness to the chili, for full, lingering flavor.

We prefer to make this chili with whole dried chiles, but it can be prepared with jarred chili powder. If using chili powder, grind the shiitakes and oregano and add them to the pot with 1⁄4 cup of chili powder in step 4. We also recommend a mix of at least two types of beans, one creamy (such as cannellini or navy) and one earthy (such as pinto, black, or red kidney). For a spicier chili, use both jalapeños. Serve the chili with lime wedges, sour cream, diced avocado, chopped red onion, and shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, if desired.

Ingredients

Salt
1pound (2 1/2 cups) dried beans , picked over and rinsed
2 dried ancho chiles
2 dried New Mexican chiles
1/2ounce dried shiitake mushrooms , chopped coarse
4teaspoons dried oregano
1/2cup walnuts , toasted
1(28-ounce) can diced tomatoes , drained with juice reserved
3tablespoons tomato paste
1 - 2 jalapeño chiles , stemmed and coarsely chopped
6 garlic cloves , minced
3tablespoons soy sauce
1/4cup vegetable oil
2pounds onions , chopped fine
1tablespoon ground cumin
7cups water
2/3cup medium-grind bulgur
1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro

Instructions

1. Bring 4 quarts water, 3 tablespoons salt, and beans to boil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Remove pot from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and rinse well. Wipe out pot.
2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Arrange anchos and New Mexican chiles on rimmed baking sheet and toast until fragrant and puffed, about 8 minutes. Transfer to plate and let cool, about 5 minutes. Stem and seed anchos and New Mexican chiles. Working in batches, grind toasted chiles, mushrooms, and oregano in spice grinder or with mortar and pestle until finely ground.
3. Process walnuts in food processor until finely ground, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl. Process drained tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapeño(s), garlic, and soy sauce in food processor until tomatoes are finely chopped, about 45 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.
4. Heat oil in now-empty Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Lower heat to medium and add ground chile mixture and cumin; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add rinsed beans and water and bring to boil. Cover pot, transfer to oven, and cook for 45 minutes.
5. Remove pot from oven. Stir in bulgur, ground walnuts, tomato mixture, and reserved tomato juice. Cover pot and return to oven. Cook until beans are fully tender, about 2 hours.
6. Remove pot from oven, stir chili well, and let stand, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve. (Chili can be made up to 3 days in advance.)

Recipe for Renee - Potato Curry

Hi Renee,
This is another vegetarian recipe I love. I made this for dinner last night, and it makes a great lunch for the next day too.

Indian-Style Curry with Potatoes, Cauliflower, Peas, and Chickpeas

Published May 1, 2007.
Serves 4 to 6 as a main course.
Why this recipe works:

Toasting store-bought curry powder in a skillet for our vegetable curry recipe turned it into a flavor powerhouse. Further experimentation proved that a few pinches of garam masala added even more spice flavor. To build the rest of our flavor base, we started with a generous amount of sautéed onion, ghee (or vegetable oil), garlic, ginger, fresh chiles, and tomato paste for sweetness.

This curry is moderately spicy when made with one chile. For more heat, use an additional half chile. For a mild curry, remove the chile's ribs and seeds before mincing. Onions can be pulsed in a food processor. You can substitute 2 teaspoons ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon for the garam masala. Serve with Basmati Rice Pilaf, passing yogurt and at least one type of chutney or relish at the table.

Ingredients

2tablespoons curry powder (sweet or mild)
1 1/2teaspoons garam masala (see note above)
1/4cup vegetable oil
2 medium onions , chopped fine (about 2 cups)
12ounces Red Bliss potatoes , scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
3medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
1tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
1 - 1 1/2 serrano chiles , ribs, seeds, and flesh minced (see note above)
1tablespoon tomato paste
1/2medium head cauliflower , trimmed, cored, and cut into 1-inch florets (about 4 cups)
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes , pulsed in food processor until nearly smooth with 1/4-inch pieces visible
1 1/4cups water
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
Table salt
8ounces frozen peas (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4cup heavy cream or coconut milk
For Condiments: Plain whole-milk yogurt or see related recipes

Instructions

1. Toast curry powder and garam masala in small skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until spices darken slightly and become fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove spices from skillet and set aside.

2. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized and potatoes are golden brown on edges, about 10 minutes. (Reduce heat to medium if onions darken too quickly.)

3. Reduce heat to medium. Clear center of pan and add remaining tablespoon oil, garlic, ginger, chile, and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add toasted spices and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute longer. Add cauliflower and cook, stirring constantly, until spices coat florets, about 2 minutes longer.

4. Add tomatoes, water, chickpeas, and 1 teaspoon salt; increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to boil, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer briskly, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in peas and cream or coconut milk; continue to cook until heated through, about 2 minutes longer. Adjust seasoning with salt and serve immediately, passing condiments separately.

Hey Guys,

Renee: So sorry you were feeling so down. I hope today is a better day :) I think we've all been there so don't give it a thought. We are here for you.

Katied: Wow, two 100 rep challenges yesterday! Impressive! I have only tried the Hip Thrusts. I am soooo happy that I got my taxes over with. I hate having that hanging over my head.

Melissa: Welcome. I hope you come out of lurkdom and join us regularly. It's always nice to hear from other Cathletes.

Off to get my workout in :)

Vicky

Last edited:
Eva Dang,im gonna have to copy and paste those! I love love chilli.

Im doing alright today, but anyhow i appriciate all your support. I just have to wait thing out at this point and try to not worry to much. The thing is i feel like my emotions are more intense now and ive been through so so much in my life one yhing after another and now youd think id b able to handle some stress but honestly im not handling it like i use to. Its like im telling myself..really and u cant pull yourself together now? Lol maybe hormones?
Anyway i did just get les mils pump and my youngest son came over and he wanted to try one well i havnt done them yet, i just got it so i pulles out whatever( mistake) we were both lost lol i told him later we need to watch the dvd inthere that shows the moves and start with kick start. Duh! lol well we had fun and needles to say i didnt get xtrain legs in.

But today i did chest back and shoulders and then im going to do a premix of legs after i drink my protein drink.

Eva thats good u listen to ur body. I was going to get uy to. I got the foundations. Love it. But cant see me doing uy whole kit. Buttttt lol if u see results i might! I love to hear reviews on dvds. I am not having any luck losing either so i feel ur pain. But i had this problem before xtrain. I am gonna stick to my rotation but add on more cardio to see how it helps. Gawd im missing my step aerobics so on a tabata
day i may do one taba and step !

Katied how are u today? Great job on 100 reps have u tried all them.

Mellisa hello! Im waving at u! :)

Vickie thanks for ur words ..oh i have done the 100 reps and had to use 20 eek that is weak isnt it? I see everyone doing 30 or more and they think that is light! Huh? Lol
Okay my friends im finished my whey drink now off to do a small portion of legs!

Last edited:
Renee, Vicki, Katie, and Eva, Thanks for the welcome. I am only on day 3, second week. I was too scared to start the first week of January. I guess I am an intermediate advanced exerciser. my problem is I am also an intermitent exerciser. I am easily sidetracked from working out. Also, I have food issues, I can go for days eating clean and then totally lose it and eat anything I can get my hands on. Also, I am easily discouraged, after weeks of working out and the scale isn't moving I get a what is the use attitude.

I used to be able to keep weight off until I was about 39. Now that I am 44 my need to loose 10 pounds has increases to a need to loose 15 pounds.

Lastly in my ramblings, I am really enjoying the rotation so far. Today was the 34 min. kickbox workout. I was drenched after. I broke down and ordered the boxing gloves on amazon. I have a bad right shoulder and have to be careful with certain moves. I do not like floor work and am going to skip it. I haven't done any challenge except the scarecrow. Last week cardio leg blast gave me major doms in the quads, this week, nothing.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I am not one to usually talk about myself so much!
Melissa

Eva,

We were posting at the same time :) Yes, I love Combat and I do have Les Mills Pump as well. It's an excellent program and I think you would love it! It's high reps/lower weights with a barbell and fantastic music by the actual recording artists. Highly recommend it.

Thanks for posting those recipes .....they look interesting. I am always looking for meatless great tasting recipes as well.

I hear you on feeling block-y because at 5'0" , I can't afford to bulk up at all. Enjoy your yoga it sounds interesting as well.

Vicky

Melissa u r perfect for this group! I think for most of us this is a first rotation because we too get side tracked. I have a hard time with eating, but as with myself it is never in the middle! And yah plz talk about yourself, thats how we can get to know u alittle better.

good morning ladies :D Checking in for yesterday(tuesday's) workout,I did Bi's & Tri's. This morning I woke up sore all over:eek: legs to my arms from monday's and yesterday's workouts. I'll be back later to check in for todays workout.

Thank you vicky & Katied for the welcome back =)
Kaited-were do you live? here in Hawaii it's been chilly but probably nothing like where you're at.

hi everyone! good to see all the activity on here this afternoon!

today was tabatacise for me, and i made it through the 5:). with that and the burn sets back and core 2 and my added scarecrow 100 reps i burned 794 calories! kind of excited about that as the workout was not as long as some of those other big calorie workouts. i feel like my legs need some recovery, though, which they will not get with hard strikes tomorrow:eek:

eva-- thanks for posting the soup recipes! i will have to type mine up and post it here, too! sorry you didn't get your workout it, but i always say tomorrow is another day:). two of my kids are vegetarian, and my youngest is vegan (by choice:) ). rik eats whatever he feels like outside our house, but no meat here. anyway, i was vegetarian for years-- since my early teens-- and then switched to a vegan diet during an ashtanga yoga teacher training with david swenson. i felt *so* much better and actually lost about 10 lbs when i switched. now, though, since being on the pill, i think i have all those 10 back:(. hate being on it, but i am done with kids at 3 and haven't cared for other bc methods, either. maybe tmi:eek: if you like that yoga collection, you should check out bryan kest. do you know him? i was introduced to yoga by him back in the early 90's and i still think he is one of the best instructors around. his website is Bryan Kest's Power Yoga - Santa Monica Power Yoga

vicky-- thank you! i like adding those on as just an extra little punch to my workouts:). hope you got a good sweat in today!

renee-- so glad that today feels some better, at least. i hear you on the reaching the limit thing, though-- that's what i hit back in 2006. it was hard to change after being comfortable for years and just settling for the way things were, but i felt *so much better* for moving on. oh, and i feel like my hormones are always going nutty, but that could be cause i am a scorpio/water sign:p. i will have to check out those other workouts someday, but for now am sticking with xtrain, too.

melissa-- i think we all can relate to getting sidetracked! i eat clean most of the time, too, but when i splurge it can get ugly;). good to have you here.

terina-- i am sore, too! my triceps definitely are feeling yesterday, and other parts of me are feeling this rotation on a continual basis! hawaii sounds sooo wonderful! i am in minneapolis, where we have heat wave today-- it is actually in the low 30's for highs.:rolleyes:

enjoy your wednesday everyone!

now my vent-- feel like i need a valium or something:( was going to run a quick errand and had my 11 year old son with me in the car. we had snow through the morning and this afternoon, so was taking it slow anyway, but we hit a horrible slick spot and i totally lost control of the car going around a sharp corner. it was horrifying-- car swerving everywhere until we ended up slamming into a tree-- which was actually a blessing as we would have otherwise ended up in a ravine. ugh. we are both okay, car seems driveable but has big dent in driver's side and my door seems screwy. three men-- two in one car and one in a truck-- helped tow the car out and we were back on our way. don't feel like driving again anytime soon, though:(. wish i didnt have to!

stay safe everyone,

katie

Omg Katied, thats horrible! U actualy hit a tree, is your neck and back ok? And ur son? Wow that is enough to make ya poo ur pants!
Id say i be scared to drive as well. Bless ur heart. I cant believe the car can stil go.. Thank God u r safe..

Katied, thank goodness you are both ok. I am *so* sorry about your accident today. I used to live in New England and drove in snow and ice and it blows. But sometimes you can't avoid it. What a blessing that you both are OK. I am sure you and your son were terrified. I'm glad those folks were there to help you.

Please take care and take it easy tonight. That kind of thing can really shake you up.:(

Eva

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.