Wrists hurt while doing push-ups

kblvr

Cathlete
Usually I put a rolled up towel under the heel of my palm to raise my wrists a little, which seems to help. I'm new to Cathe and starting to do the new LIS series. The pushups are so fast (ie mount climbers into pushups) or we are traveling doing push ups that the towel idea doesn't work. Is there something I can do to make my wrists stronger so they don't hurt while doing these exercises? Sometimes I have to stop the exercise early because it hurts. Thank you!

I read somewhere that weak wrists are a sign of weak forearms. To work forearms, you need to do more push-ups and bicep work (silly I know, how can you do that without your wrists hurting?). You can purchase special push-up bars and also I heard holding onto weights while in plank positions minimize the pain (for me that never worked, but give it a try). Personally, the more plank related exercises I do, the less my wrists feel discomfort. Just keep on trying! Hope that helps :)

Natasha

Last edited:
Go to a sporting goods store or even Target/WalMart, etc. There is an item called the Perfect Pushup. They work by keeping your wrists straight and should help this problem. Additionally, don't try to keep pace with Cathe - she's freakishly strong. Do the pushups at the pace you can manage comfortably. As you and your wrists get stronger, you can increase the pace. For some of her faster sequences, I probably only do two-thirds of what Cathe does. Do what works for your own body.

I had this problem and it alarmed me....However, I wanted to do push-ups so what I did was I put my 5# weights under each of my hands and that alleviated the discomfort. Then after a while, I was able to work up to doing them without the weights.

Putting the weights under the ball of my hand and the fingers underneath the bar part was very helpful.

Using the dumbbell or Perfect pushup will help. You can also try to focus on keeping your fingers spread wider, so that your wrists aren't taking all of the pressure, allow your entire hand to assist in the move (including your fingers, which may need/want to bend a little to assist). This also helps take pressure off of the wrist when you're doing yoga based/plank type movements, as well.

I agree with the suggestion of the Perfect Pushup. These work well because they rotate and allow you to adjust your wrist placement even as you are performing the pushup. The suggestion of using a dumbbell is also a good one--or you can purchase a pair of pushup bars (there are many, just do a Google search), which are a bit higher than the dumbbells and allow you to get your hand completely around them for better placement.

I have the same problem with my wrists, and I find that both of the above will help. But what works best for me is to use my step. I can use just the top or put a riser or two under it (depending on how strong I am feeling). I put a pad or lay a mat on it first so my hands don't get chewed up. This allows several options for hand placement and helps me get the right angle so my wrists don't hurt. The reason this works for me is that I find if I drop the heel of my hands just a tad off the edge of the step and angle my hands "just so," then my wrists don't hurt. Obviously, this is an individual thing, so what works for me may not work for you. You just have to keep trying until you find something that does work. Don't give up because you can't keep up with Cathe--or with anyone else, for that matter. Just as an aside, I have always used my step--with several risers--to do burpees and mountain climbers. I think someone mentioned this on another thread recently, and I was surprised to find I wasn't the only one who did it. May be considered "cheating" a bit, but that doesn't matter to me if it allows me to an exercise I would otherwise not be able to do. Same with the pushups. Do what you can.

In addition to Perfect Pushups or hex dumbbells (so they won't roll) or push-up handlebars, you can also try doing some moves on your knuckles (wrist straight, as if you're 'punching' the floor).

Wearing wrist wraps (or gloves with built-in wrist wraps) can help support the wrist.

Stretching your forearms (arm out in front of you, pulling back on the fingers with palm forward, and arm out in front, pushing down on the fingers with palm facing backward) between moves may help.

ETA: this may help: http://www.livestrong.com/article/384971-i-tried-to-do-a-push-up-hurt-my-wrist/

Putting the weights under the ball of my hand and the fingers underneath the bar part was very helpful.
I can't picture this.
Do you use 5# weight plates? But what is the 'bar'?
Do you use dumbbells? But how do you put the weight under the ball of your hand?
Help!

Last edited:
I've been using Gripitz for years. They are excellent for any move that's tough on the wrists. They are light enough you can do moves like plank walks, and the handles are cushioned, so it even helps with pressure on your palms.

I highly recommend them!

Thanks for all the replies! The gripitz sounds intriguing, I'll have to check that out! Thanks so much guys!

In addition to Perfect Pushups or hex dumbbells (so they won't roll) or push-up handlebars, you can also try doing some moves on your knuckles (wrist straight, as if you're 'punching' the floor).

Wearing wrist wraps (or gloves with built-in wrist wraps) can help support the wrist.

Stretching your forearms (arm out in front of you, pulling back on the fingers with palm forward, and arm out in front, pushing down on the fingers with palm facing backward) between moves may help.

ETA: this may help: I Tried To Do A Push Up & Hurt My Wrist | LIVESTRONG.COM

I can't picture this.
Do you use 5# weight plates? But what is the 'bar'?
Do you use dumbbells? But how do you put the weight under the ball of your hand?
Help!

I didn't describe it very well, but what I did was just hold the 5# hex dumbbell in each hand normally. Then, while still holding the hex dumbbell, I went to my knees and got in pushup position and used the dumbbells' middle bar (between the hex heads) to support my hands. It is almost like doing a pushup on your knuckles but instead the weight is more on the balls of my hands....does that make sense?

I didn't describe it very well, but what I did was just hold the 5# hex dumbbell in each hand normally. Then, while still holding the hex dumbbell, I went to my knees and got in pushup position and used the dumbbells' middle bar (between the hex heads) to support my hands. It is almost like doing a pushup on your knuckles but instead the weight is more on the balls of my hands....does that make sense?
Gotcha! :)

Tracy, what bothers me about using hex dumbbells for wrist relief with push ups/planks, is that the dumbbell can roll... even if it's a hex. It isn't a great solution to wrist issues. (Even if many instructors suggest it.)

As you know, I'm rehabbing from a broken wrist, so anything I can do to ease the stress on my wrist is a good thing. I have found even more since I broke my wrist, that using a dumbbell in the manner you describe is tricky, not to mention really hard on the palms of your hand.

My advice.... get the Gripitz or something similar! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.