Wow, I just had the most unpleasant conversation

You know, I had a very similiar thing happen at a party. A friend introduced me to a personal trainer friend of hers. The conversation that followed was just the most bizzare exchange. It included that any heavy lifting should be strictly avoided for us gals over 45, all sorts of alarming fat zone theories, and nearly ended in a physical exchange when she rolled her eyes when I mentioned Cathe. I have no doubt I could have taken her, but choose to keep my dignity. ;)

Last edited:
Wow Laura, I'm so sorry that happened to you. What a jerk! If you have the misfortune of seeing this weirdo again, I think it would be best to avoid him completely. I find that engaging with men with rage problems is never a good idea, even though he's clearly in the wrong.

Amy

You said it sister! Lord knows we all have to deal w/enough creeps in our lives, there's certainly no reason to go looking for it!

I do worry about my friend though. She's not very fitness savvy & his gym is a bit private & secluded. Fortunately or unfortunately she's not knowledgable enough to know when he's having her do something wrong.

You know, I had a very similiar thing happen at a party. A friend introduced me to a personal trainer friend of hers. The conversation that followed was just the most bizzare exchange. It included that any heavy lifting should be strictly avoided for us gals over 45, all sorts of alarming fat zone theories, and nearly ended in a physical exchange when she rolled her eyes when I mentioned Cathe. I have no doubt I could have taken her, but choose to kept my dignity. ;)

Wait, a WOMAN said this? OMG! And she rolled her eyes over CATHE????????

I'm glad to hear you didn't give her a Cathe-style jab/cross & knock her through the wall. You probably avoided a lawsuit.

>>>>So after his 5th or 6th mention of his NSAM cert & how it's the highest level cert & there was nothing he could learn beyond it, I said actually it's NASM, not NSAM.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! This just cracked me up!!! What a FOOL!

Hmmm...maybe the guy does have an "NSAM" certification.:confused: What could that stand for? "No-nothing Stupid-A$$ Mental case"? (okay, there are some extra letters in there, but can anyone come up with something better?)

You should have him do a "little Cathe workout" called Imax3 and see how he likes it (if he can make it past the warm-up!):eek:

What a dumba**

Hmmm...maybe the guy does have an "NSAM" certification.:confused: What could that stand for? "No-nothing Stupid-A$$ Mental case"? (okay, there are some extra letters in there, but can anyone come up with something better?)

Perhaps 'normous stupid a$$ mental case?:eek:

You should have him do a "little Cathe workout" called Imax3 and see how he likes it (if he can make it past the warm-up!):eek:

What a dumba**

I'd like to put him through Drill Max. But according to him that kind of circuit training is functional fitness & therefore not worth doing. :eek:

How 'bout Neutered Stupid A$$ Man?

What a jerk! I think you handled yourself very well!
I had a similar experience with the male trainer at my local YMCA...but he was even worse about his certification, he couldn't (wouldn't?) even tell me who he was certified with. I kept throwing out initials and he just kept saying *well, there are too many out there to get specific..* HUH?!?!? I took his class once...it was basically a flirt session for him with all the young girls. He also claimed to only use 3-5 lb dumbbells because that's all you need, especially as a woman. Then I watched him walk over to the free weights, pick up 20 lb dumbbells, curl them 2-3 times (with horrible torso swinging form) before walking in to teach his class. Trying to pump up maybe? During his class he found lots of reasons to walk around and touch the other girls and *correct* their form. I gave him the evil eye as he was walking towards me and he literally stopped dead in his tracks and went the other direction!

In defense of men in general though, the serious bodybuilders have been incredibly helpful to me and very complimentary of my form. I always give credit to Cathe! :D

Becky

Thank you Laura for putting a smile on my face.I needed it today.I can just imagine the scene.One of the first things that I liked about you when we met was how knowledgeable you are about so many diverse subjects.He couldn't handle the fact that you were so well versed.His manhood was shattered and his biceps were craving attention.Keep on smiling.Isn't the world crazy.See you soon
Chris

How bizarre -- I like how you corrected him on his certification (NSAM/NASM!). If you can't get that right, hmmm . . . But, the thing that would have bothered me the most is that he is not open to learning more. Apparently he thinks that what he has learned over the last 20 years is all he needs to know. I'm sure he's learned a lot over the years, however, times change (especially in fitness). You know how much Cathe knows, but you can bet she's out there learning as much as she can so she can stay current in her field! It's like any profession you are in -- there is always continuing education and clearly he isn't open to it. You need to have your friend read these posts and enlighten him!

Julie

the sad thing is, he probably does have something called a NSAM cert and got ripped off on a BS pt program!! i wouldnt be surprised.

i dont think it's a guy/girl thing, i think it's a matter of being conceited. when i worked as a pt, there was a master trainer who walked around like her poop didnt stink (only reason she was a master trainer was because she held a NASM cert). i would listen to her spill BS to clients just to make the sale. when i would suggest new exercises to her (in conversation, i would never be so rude as to critique a colleague's program unless they were doing something totally wrong), she would put everything down, claiming that she knew all there was to know about fitness, her way is the best and only way, why does she have so many clients if she needs improvement, etc. it was such a crock and it annoyed me!! she didnt even have a nice body! my friend and i called her polpetta (meatball in italian) because she was shaped like one...plus she deserved it.

Hi Ladies,
I hardly ever post, but this thread got me thinking.....

"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence." Robert Frost US poet (1874 - 1963)

Obviously the man doesn't believe in this quote. I have had this quote posted in my office at work for the last 3 years and recently saw that someone on this forum had this as their quote. I found this quote after I worked with a fellow speech-language pathologist who thought she knew it all and actually couldn't follow any procedures set forth by our special ed director...or by me, her mentor.

Even though I am the only speech-language pathologist in the school building, when the school psych or anyone has a theory/info to share about a student's language or articulation skills, I give him/her a serious listen. As with anything, we all have real talents when it comes to our jobs, and areas that need further development. I think when your job is to educate people, you have to have an open mind and continue to educate yourself as well as the people you are qualified to work with. At least give people who challenge your thinking a chance to express themselves and use it as an opportunity to make yourself more educated.

Sounds like this guy does have some issues!

You just had an encounter with an ego with hair and a beer gut. Its not a man. Real men don't behave like that. My brother and my dad don't doubt my prowess regards fitness (which is miniscule compared to a lot of the super smart gals who post on Cathe's forum, not to mention our fearless leader herself.) Over grown egos are so repulsive.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.