Wow, I just had the most unpleasant conversation

I bet that was uncomfortable. What a freak. I think the ultimate laugh will come when he's arrested for assaulting one of his (heehee) clients because they question him....or sued because he's caused someone to get hurt because of his pride over shadowing his knowledge.

I think it's totally cool that you stood up to him. He wouldn't have gotten defensive and mean had you not totally hit a nerve! LOL

LOL! What a strange little man. I take it he's never heard of ACSM. :rolleyes: Glad you were able to escape quickly!

I was reading an older article over at T-Nation the other day called something like "Our favorite things" and one of the things was nylon ropes with rings, like gymnasts use (the article came out before TRX ropes hit, which is now being discussed over there, also). If you know anything about the respected trainers who write for TN you know there's no office where they all hang out because the writers are scattered all over the United States. Interested trainers submit material to T-Nation and if the editors are impressed they're invited to post their articles there. You don't have to be certified in anything but you DO have to be able to back up everything you say with scientific evidence and, in short, really know what the hell you're talking about.

The thing that blows me away over there is how willing all the trainers are to learn from each other and from non TN writers. They all seem to study each others methods and results and if they pick up on something with which someone else is having success they try it with their clients. Anyway, in the "favorite things" article the editors said they always check out a new product or technique when clusters of their writers independently "discover" the same product or training method and have good results.

If you're not willing to continue to learn and grow you ain't no trainer. Clients want results and trainers have to always try new things to keep results happening. Also, clients will always quiz you to find out what you know about some other training method they've heard about and you won't have clients for long if you can't answer their questions because you, "the expert" don't know. And I agree with those who say it has nothing to do with gender (the TN writers are nearly all men). It's ego.

But in this case, I think the "trainer" was a flat-out charlatan/psycho. And he's really p*ssed you've exposed him so please be careful, LM.

LMAO! OK, I just have to thank you guys for making me laugh about this b/c frankly it disturbed me. Esp. the fact that this chubby wanker runs this crappy little gym & has the nerve to blow off Cathe, such an incredibly successful woman who makes him look like a big fat loser.

And b/c he insulted me--I might not be a certified PT anymore but dammit I've worked pretty hard over the years when it comes to exercise & staying informed about it.

Delusions of grandeur for sure!

He sounds really insecure about his training and abilities, and is trying really hard to not feel that way. You fit a nerve, right where it hurts, and he reacted.

Hello Laura! I'm Chris! I'm new here.

WHO DOES THAT TRAINER THINK HE IS!!!

What a jerk.

I am sorry you had that nasty encounter. :( I share my anger with you.

You don't need him!

Trust me, I will be a good supportive sweet exercise coach soon. So if you ever encounter me, I will help you.

Love and happiness to you and your friends and family.

You take care and god bless you.

Warmly yours,
Chris

Another story of men's view of women fitness trainers...

Laura,
From a man's point of view, there are unfortunately too many men (and boys) who patronize women's knowledge of physical fitness. Things are changing, but it is too slow.

But, I think there are a clear majority of females enrolled in university kinesiology programs, so I let that statistic be the ultimate criteria of where things stand.

Let me relate a story to those on this thread about how begrudging men's view of women fitness trainers can be. Back in 1996 or so, I was in a men's locker room, dressing up in gym clothes for a 1-hour "Nice and Easy" fitness class. Members of university hockey team had just finished a very tough fitness training session (1 1/2 hours long), and it was led by a young woman trainer. I watched the last half hour of the class -- and she drove the young men hard.

So, after that class, while dressing I heard one player say to another: "Man, that chick is in good shape". And the other player replied, "Yea, man". So that's the type of macho attitude men have. As a footnote, the next year the men's team won the Canadian university hockey championship -- so this championship team was fitness trained by a woman.
-- David

p.s. Note that this woman (Janice was her name) taught the two fitness classes in a row. I know nothing about fitness trainers -- and the daily training scheule people have -- but doing this kind of thing must take incredible endurance, I would think. Is that common?

That's it!

Laura: how about getting a t-shirt made by www.cafepress.com with "NSAM = Naturally Stupid Arrogant Male" on it, and just 'happen' to pass by this guy's gym while you're wearing it?;)

OMG! I'm doing it. I must do it. I'm TOTALLY doing it. He doesn't know where I live or work, I'd be safe, right?

Thank you ladies, & more especially gentlemen, for the support & laughs. This forum rocks!

And welcome Chris, always nice to have another dude around. :)

Thank you Laura. You are a cool dudette. :) LOL. And all the ladies here are too! I'd like to meet some of the men around here too folks.

Well catch yous later, and a good morning to you!

Warmly yours,
Chris

Oddly enough... the more he tried to convince you of his KNOWLEDGE, the more he comes off sounding like a complete DUMMY!
He sounds like the STALKING type, I would STAY AWAY from him! LOL!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.