workout energy and periods

darine

Cathlete
I have less energy the first few days of my periods. Sometimes even the day before I get them. Does anyone else feel the same or only me? I even wanted to arrange to take my monthly few days off around that time.

Am I the only one?

just curious

i still workout but just go with easier workouts. i find it helps with cramps from endometriosis. even if its just a light dance or walking workout. but not just the pain but my energy is also low so i do what i feel capable of doing.

kassia

Darine - the first few days of my period wipe me out. I'm good for nothing, so I just do yoga and stretching workouts during that time. I really think the yoga helps with the cramping. I know a lot of people who just push through it and do their regular workouts, but I like working out to be fun and that's not my definition of fun. ;)

I really don't have this problem, the only thing that bothers me, is "the girls" get a little sore a few days prior, so I gotta wear a REALLY good bra to workout in, or watch the jumping and the bouncing. Ouch. Tired doesn't seem to be an issue, normally once I get going, I'm ok in that department.

Nan

I used to have less energy and be more tired the day before and the first 2 days of my period (haven't had one for a while, but did have to deal with perimenopause tiredness, which lasted longer).

I think it's a good idea to plan lower-intensity workouts.

IIRC, ligaments are more stretchy at that time of the month (due to hormonal changes) and it makes one at more risk for injury.

ligaments are more stretchy? That makes sense!! I was going to push it today, but since I just started my period and I am EXHAUSTED I am going to listen to my body and REST!!!

I never lift weights or do vigorous cardio the 1st 2 days of my period. I feel so drained and exhausted, so it's usually counterproductive. I once tried to push myself through an STS workout and almost dropped a dumbell on my face!!! Right then I made myself stop and note to take it easy the first couple of days Aunt flow is in town. I will usually do a low impact cardio workout or just take a rest day. Enjoy your time off!!

Darine...I'm with Liann. I am no good a couple of days before and after. I almost have to lift my legs with my hands to walk, I'm so exhausted. I totally get where you're coming from!

I only do the cardio premixes off of 4DS. I don't even do all 4 lol. So, yes I have no energy during my period. Zinc, calcium and magnesium help. But last period I did nothing much at all. I even took two days off of work. :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.