Working out w/ broken big toe

wastewitch

Cathlete
I wasn't sure if I should post this here, on Open Discussion, or both. I just returned from a week at Disneyland (woo-hoo!) where eating clean was somewhat difficult (much easier at Disney World!) and exercising consisted of walking from the hotel to the park & back. So, I've already slacked off and was raring to get back on track, when BAM! I stubbed my big toe last night and it's either sprained or broken.

Has anyone ever broken their toe? How long does it take to heal, and is there any exercise one can do during recovery? It hurts to move the toe at all and it's swollen so I think swimming and biking, and of course walking/running, are out. I just don't want to get so off track that it's hard to get back on schedule when I'm healed. I start school again next week (I also work F/T) so it's *very* easy for me to make excuses not to workout. :(

Thanks Cathe, SNM, and anyone/everyone else for your tips!

I don't have much for ideas, but wanted to say how sorry I am that you hurt your big toe so badly! I really hope it's not broken!

It seems to me that with that particular toe out of commission, you're going to be pretty limited - upper body and core probably. Maybe you can go back to swimming once the pain subsides after a few days. The big toe is so important in balance that I can't see you trying to do any cardio for a while that's weight bearing.

Maybe others will have some more creative ideas!

Good luck and, again, I hope it's not broken!

I know what you are going through. I hurt my little toe back on Aug 6. I tried to duke it out with the carpet shampooer, but I lost. Stupid carpet shampooer! My little toe was several beautiful shades of black, blue, purple, and brown for almost a week. It was swollen for a couple of days. It was probably a week before I was able to wear closed toe shoes.

I basically took two (maybe it was three days off) to get past the initial pain and hobbling. I'm already a barefoot exerciser, so the lack of shoes wasn't hard for me. I'm currently in the middle of STS and I was able to continue without too many problems. I did have struggles with some of the leg exercises where you need stablity that your toes provide, especially elevated lunges. Cardio was a little harder. I haven't worn my VFFs since I hurt my toe, so I'm more than two weeks now without running. I've been biking, swimming, and some aerobics. I did wear shoes this past week to do step. It was still a little tender on Tuesday, but I didn't notice it on Friday. Friday would have been two weeks for me. I'm guessing you're looking at that long or longer. I'm pretty sure I didn't break my toe, just a sprain or something. I think you may have a harder time with your big toe. It probably provides more balance. I'd guess the big toe is stronger to begin with so it may take longer to heal. Just guesses here. Hope this help and good luck!
Kathy

No workouts. Sorry. If it is really broken it takes 6 weeks or more. You probably should get an x-ray to be certain. Mine took a lot longer because the break basically pulverized my toes. Take vit. D, calcium and magnesium. Also, take ibuprofen for the inflammation. My surgeon told me that inflammation was the enemy of healing. Also, stay off it as much as possible. You are going to want to ice it a lot and keep it up. Get one of those little booty's, they really help prevent re-breaking. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks everyone for the tips! By Friday I was walking more or less normally and the swelling has subsided. I have a nasty bruise, though. I tried swimming on Sunday, Thursday, and today and it's better each time. I iced it a lot and bought some crutches so I could stay off of it instead of hobbling around. Boy, is that an upper body workout, or what?! I think if one was to use crutches for a period of time, you would have some rocking delts! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.