Wish for Chaptering/Programmability for the STS Shock Cardio series

jeni

Cathlete
Hi, Cathe! I am very excited to hear about your new series, I have already preordered. I just wanted to put in a wish that these dvd's be programmable. I have the 4 Day Split dvd's , & they are great, but they aren't programmable like all your other dvd's. I also hope that you have a lot of chapters & that the mix/match menu is loaded as well. I would also be willing to buy a compilation dvd for this series. In any case, I am sure I will love these workouts. Thanks for all the great workouts!

Jeni

I don't seem to be able to do anything with Mix'n'Match on my player - it is just the same as if I'd hit "chapters". What kind of DVD player do you have?

I second, third, & fourth the request for chaptering !!!! I love the STS
discs because they are chaptered wonderful and so easy to program ! I
still use a programmable dvd player and they work beautifully. I'm also
glad to read that someone else had a trouble with the 4 day split dvds and
being able to program. I had written SNM about this and was told it was
probably my player but I knew that wasn't so. All of other Cathe dvds
are programmable by title/chapter and one of the workouts on each of the
4 day split dvds would not program---however the other one on each of the
dvds would, so something was different. Anyway, please, please chapter
them as best you can...I know cardio might be a little harder than the STS
weight program..which (again) you did an awesome job. Do you know
how long it took me to sit down and write out the chapter numbers and
times for each chapter for 41 discs???? A long time---but I printed each
disc info and that made it alot easier.... My last request---bring on the
tower !!!!!!!!!!!!:D

what do you mean by programable? can you program from different dvds and make your own? or program only from the same dvd?

and how do you do that?

thx

Hi, Cathe! I am very excited to hear about your new series, I have already preordered. I just wanted to put in a wish that these dvd's be programmable. I have the 4 Day Split dvd's , & they are great, but they aren't programmable like all your other dvd's. I also hope that you have a lot of chapters & that the mix/match menu is loaded as well. I would also be willing to buy a compilation dvd for this series. In any case, I am sure I will love these workouts. Thanks for all the great workouts!

Jeni

We always thoroughly chapter our DVDs and Shock Cardio will be no exception. I think it is safe to say we lead our industry in this. As for a DVD working on a programmable player this is not something we control. We only control where the chapter points are located and how many chapter points the workout will contain. There are no settings in any DVD authoring program that have anything to do with making a workout work or not work on a programmable player.

Your DVD player is really just a computer. When there is a problem with playing a disc or a feature on a disc the problem can either be caused by one of three things:

1. DVD Authoring
2. Defective Disc or replication
3. Firmware on Player (this is like what Windows is to your PC)

DVD players are made and tested to just play discs, not to do premixes. The more advanced features you add to a DVD, or try to use on a player, the more problems you will have. Though people usually always think the problem is with the disc, in reality the problem could be caused by any of the three problems listed above.

For Example, STS has had less problems than any DVD series we have ever released. Though we would like to take some credit for our proofing, authoring and quality control...the main reason we have so few problems is that the discs are single layer and no premixes. Less features equals less problems.

When it comes to Premixes or whether or not a disc will be able to be programmable there really is no way for us to do anything differently. Though 95% of all people will not have any problems with advanced features, some always will. Just as it is impossible to make a web page or software program work on every computer and browser, it is also impossible to make a DVD with advanced features work on every DVD Player.

Last edited:
As much as I would love to have premixes on each DVD, I would rather take single layer discs with no premixes rather than discs with technical problems due to numerous premixes. Denise R's suggestion for a separate all-premixes DVD is great! Another option would be to put few premixes on each DVD (3 or 4 premixes on each DVD just like the Hardcore Series DVDs.) Personally, I prefer Denise R's suggestion. :)

For Example, STS has had less problems than any DVD series we have ever released. Though we would like to take some credit for our proofing, authoring and quality control...the main reason we have so few problems is that the discs are single layer and no premixes. Less features equals less problems.

Denise R's suggestion of a separate Shock Cardio Fusion DVD with numerous premixes sounds like fantastic idea!

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260769

When it comes to Premixes or whether or not a disc will be able to be programmable there really is no way for us to do anything differently. Though 95% of all people will not have any problems with advanced features, some always will. Just as it is impossible to make a web page or software program work on every computer and browser, it is also impossible to make a DVD with advanced features work on every DVD Player.

Last edited:
The dvd player I have that will program "across the board" (meaning it is
a 5 disc player that you can access the player's menu and pick disc, title, &
chapter) is a Sony NC-615 which is an older player and I don't think it is
sold any longer unless you can find it on Amazon, Ebay, etc.... I was lucky
(and smart) enough to obtain three of them several years ago and they
still work okay....I just love to program !!!:D Anyway, once in a while
I will obtain a dvd that has chapters but the player won't allow me to
program them. I think maybe I have a total of 4 or 5 in all that doesn't
program--even tho' the chapters are there. All of my Cathe's do work
(and I think I have all the dvds) except the 4 day split dvds. Like I said
before, there are two workouts on each disc and one of them on each of
the discs will program thru my player and the other workout on each of
the discs will not....So, I'm not sure what the problem was....I was
hesitant to get STS after that...but like I said they program beautifully...
so maybe the "layering" aspect has something to do with it. Anyway, I
love STS, looking forward to STS cardio (please have a low impact
modifier) and waiting "impatiently" for the tower....;)

The dvd player I have that will program "across the board" (meaning it is a 5 disc player that you can access the player's menu and pick disc, title, &
chapter) is a Sony NC-615 which is an older player and I don't think it is
sold any longer unless you can find it on Amazon, Ebay, etc...

I recently bought a Sony DVP-NC 800 five disk player with the programmable feature at Vanns. Like yourself I got it as a "just in case my Sony DVP-615 dies". The new one is considerably cheaper than what I paid for the older one years ago (at least a half cheaper or better). It also has added features such as the ability to view jpeg images as a slide show with sound and to view photo tv HD. Whenever I have had a problem being able to get a dvd disk to play in one of my other brand dvd players, I would try it in my older Sony in which, in the majority of instances, it plays. If a disk doesn't play in the Sony, the problem is usually with the disk itself.

Best to pick chapters and create a workout

It would be great to have the option to select a chapter, then another, then another, then finally say play - as I have seen in Denise Austin and Ten Min Soln workouts, - those are so great and so flexible. Cathe had that in one of her series - was it the Intensity series? I love being able to design your own workout with the chapters, versus picking one and having it go back to the same selection screen and then pick another.

thanks,

Cheryl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.