Winter - I hate this weather

kimyenchu

Cathlete
How do people feel about exercising and diets when the weather is like this? I can't eat salads at this time and I don't feel like exercising - all I want to do is curl up on my sofa with a good film and some heavy calorie laden nosh.

Oh why oh why is life such a chore.............

Yen

Oh, I'm so sorry you feel like that! I love the change of seasons so much, I've lived on the east coast all my life, so I'm so use to it. To me Fall and Winter air is so fresh, makes me step lively when I walk outdoors (a little pep in my step :)), and it gives me a sense of renewal, just things coming around full circle.
Plus, the breeze coming in through the window as I sweat through my workout feels so good in the early morning. :)

But my hubby, who's a Florida native, feels like you. He's already dreading the possibility of snow!

Donna

Ah! The winter that you love does not exist over here: we have rain and sleet and dark mornings and evenings. I live in the city of London, so no fresh air at any time of the year just pollution. We don't have pure white snow on the ground, only sludge.

I love your winter, so much like the ones you see in films (Little Women types) where everything is idyllic and the lovely autumn colours, marsh mallow and chestnuts roasting on an open fire. How I yearn for that life.

Yen

Hey Yen,

If you find the short, dark winter days depressing, you might try buying a full-spectrum light. I've always been very sensitive to this, and my hubby bought me a small full spectrum light box I use in the morning while eating breakfast and in the evening while eating dinner. It literally brightens my day!

Angela

I absolutly LOVE Fall and Winter!! I live in the nice cool northern Wisconsin. Just today I woke up and it was in the upper 20's! :eek: I loved the cool air when I took out the dog. I don't know why but I much prefer these months over Spring and Summer!
I also tend to work out harder during these months. Maybe because I know the holidays are right around the corner. It definetly helps me get through them without adding weight! I am so happy it's cooler out now. For some reason my mood is brighter lately and I have more energy. Maybe I was a polar bear in an early life? :D Stay warm!! Susan

Hi Yen,

My favourite time of the year is Autumn, my favourite months are September, October, November, and December ! I love crispy cold Autumn mornings :).
The months I am not so keen on are May, June, July and August - I am not a Summer person. The heat and the sunshine make me very hot and bothered and grumpy. I get very snappy in the heat x( . I never sunbathe (ageing !) unless I am out walking in it !

Anna

Hhhhhmmmmmm. Looks like I am all alone here. My favourite season is spring. Winter does have it's moments like Xmas and New Year, but with it comes all the lovely calorie ladened foods.

I feel a lot better about winter now that all of you have pointed out what's so good about it.

Yen

Yen

I have to say I find it easier to exercise in the winter, not only do we have an extra hour but also as its so cold it really helps me push myself harder to workout and get my core temperature up.

Rain I love it I don't even notice the constantly grey months, perhaps this is because I was born in January during a particular snowy winter.

As for spring all those singing birds outside the window from 4.00 am no thank you.
Babs

I also hate winter. I'm from Chicago but I now live in DC and if I ever leave here I'm going somewhere it's warm all year round. This weather depresses me, I'm a spring and summer baby. If I want to see snow I'll just go home and visit LOL.

Shanda

I don't like winter very much either. Fortunately, I live in the deep south and it isn't winter here by any stretch. It finally turned a little cool and the high today is 70. It felt cold this morning to me. Brrr! Fifty degrees feels cold to me. The only good thing about winter is that I usually take a big ski trip each year. This year, we are planning a big one and I am going to try snow boarding. I turn 30 in January so it is a celebration of my youth! But, living in the south, we don't see much snow. We get tornadoes and rain but not much snow. However, the lack of daylight seems to discourage my workouts.

I HATE winter! I come from Minnesota, where the winters were much colder and harsher than here (Illinois), but I've always lived in the Midwest. Like my father, I'll probably complain about winter until the day I die.

I definitely feel more like hybernating, but once I get moving, I love to exercise (indoors) because I don't get overheated and excessively sweaty like I do other times of the year.

Hi Susan I'm in central wisconsin and I too love the change and it's beautiful. Our family started skiing together last year and we all can't wait for a really good snow!!!!! Keep exercising and try those full spectrum lights Yen. Summer will be around the corner and you'll look great. Sometimes I need a goal to keep me going. We are going to try to go to a waterpark in the dells in 2 months and I'm exercising for that now!!!! Just keeps me going sometimes!!!

Briee

I can't make you feel better, I'm afraid. Here in Tucson it was 66 this morning with a high in the 80's and it's going to get to the 70's soon I hope. But I had to survive that long, hellacious summer to get to this. And I miss the changing colors of fall that my family in Michigan are enjoying right now. I do not miss bitter cold or snow at all except it's pretty but someone can send me a picture!

Hang in there! Spring will return before you know it!

http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule! B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif bbi

HA HA LOL!!!

I am an Arizonan like Bobbi and JUST CAN'T RELATE. I am praying for the cool weather so I can run!!! Cool weather means you can go farther and longer!!!

Janice

PS...and I am still eating salads and fruit for lunch!!!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.