Why do YOU workout?

Zozo

Cathlete
I will not miss a 'scheduled' workout. Many of my friends think I'm mad...and all of them say 'it's not as if you'll put weight on by missing ONE workout'...but what gets me is that they assume that weight loss/maintenance is the only reason to workout. So it got me thinking...if you had to list your top reasons for working out, what would they be?

For me:

1) It's is the only purely ME time I get. I think I'm entitled to be selfish just for this time. It's the time I get to do something purely because I enjoy it.
2) Health reasons: I know it's good for me
3) Mood reasons: I know without it, I would be very stressed, cranky, and much less pleasant in general!
4) 'Shallow' reasons: i know it can help me maintain a reasonable figure
5) Control: It is one aspect of life over which you can exercise some control: you can structure your exercise for certain results and you can challenge yourself...there is nothing like the feeling you get from overcoming some challenge. I think it's important for us to be proud of ourselves!

I'm really interested to see why YOU workout :)

I think you covered a lot of the reasons that I would list. I really enjoy it. It helps me to feel better physically and mentally. Sure I like the way it helps me to look and I am not apologizing for that. As I get older it seems more important to stay in shape and be in good physical condition.

Zozo...your list is pretty hard to beat.

My workouts are nearly 100 percent outdoors except for Cathe and kettlebells. I get the same comments...that I am obsessed and even accused of not being my *gender*, etc. Sometimes it gets to me, but I realize its not the hill I want to die on and let it go.

1. Makes me happy, the chronological number of *age* is replaced by biological age, which is more important in my opinion.

2. Control over my schedule. I get to say what I want to do now and right here.

3. I like being with others in my riding groups, and we are a tight group and that's good on so many levels.

4. I don't want to be a burden to my kids and I want to stay independent forever. I saw my grandparents age, and I remember right around 50 they chose the chair and television and rusted.

5. I like my muscles and I love it when someone asks me how I do it. (pssst....STS and Kettlebells).

6. I can eat and not obsess about calories. I hit my nutrient requirements only and call it a day.

7. And like my best girl riding buddy says...I like to make the boys cry...(haha Corie...) We have a teeshirt with that on it.

Great question :)

I had to think about this ;)
First I love to exercise. Since I found Cathe I am looking forward to my daily workouts.
I got over 10 of my friends in shape. I never told them anything about working out but they saw my energy my transformations and they started to do it with me.
I want to be here with my daughter, husband as long as possible. This is probably the #1 reason I exercise.

I think I was lucky to find Cathe. I didn't enjoy the other workout DVDs and I hated them. With Cathe this never happened. Love her style.
I also like the Beachbody programs. They are fun! :)

I think that's it.

1. Makes me happy, the chronological number of *age* is replaced by biological age, which is more important in my opinion.

2. Control over my schedule. I get to say what I want to do now and right here.

3. I like being with others in my riding groups, and we are a tight group and that's good on so many levels.

4. I don't want to be a burden to my kids and I want to stay independent forever. I saw my grandparents age, and I remember right around 50 they chose the chair and television and rusted.

5. I like my muscles and I love it when someone asks me how I do it. (pssst....STS and Kettlebells).

6. I can eat and not obsess about calories. I hit my nutrient requirements only and call it a day.

7. And like my best girl riding buddy says...I like to make the boys cry...(haha Corie...) We have a teeshirt with that on it.

I LOVE your number 1 4 and 5 in particular :) I think number 4 really shows how exercise is both selfish (in that I find it indulgent) and also VERY selfLESS :)

These responses are very interesting!
xx

Cool thread!

I am strong......so strong I can lift and carry a river boat! Not to mention carrying/stacking wood for the winter.

It helps me do my job better......I am a teacher and I love those kids, but they better not cross me on a day I haven't worked out!

It calms me down. I am a person on the go all the time, my husband even asks me to settle down since I am naturally so busy.

I have worked out since I was 15 years old. I get up at around 4 am so I can wake up and workout. I am so tired of people making rude comments when there is a sweet treat spread in the teacher's lounge. "Oh Gloria can eat whatever she wants.....blah blah blah! Try getting your ass out of bed that early and be to work on time! They just don't get it. I am on my own, as usual.

I am geeked about the new spinning bike I am getting tomorrow! I am a fitness nerd and am proud of it!

Gloria

A lot of what you all said :)

It honestly started out as a way to lose weight, and somewhere along the line it became fun. Go figure, right? :p:p:p:p

Now it's to keep my weight down (along with healthy eating), give me some Me Time, get out frustration and stress, help me sleep well, see exactly what it is my body can and cannot do (and work towards the cannots), to live longer, to surprise myself, and heck - to look good in jeans and a tank top.

Oh, and to be the girl who can lift heavy things all by her lil' ol' self :p;):)

Nan

I do it to be strong and not needing any assistance. I went to Academy Sports a few months ago to buy some more plates for my barbell. The male clerk walked up and said, "Let me carry that for you." I just smiled and told him no thanks. I loved the look on his face when I walked off carrying a set of 7.5 and 10 lb plates in each hand with no effort.

I work out because at 53 years old I feel 30.....

I feel 30 years old at 53 because I work out.:D

I do it to be strong and not needing any assistance. I went to Academy Sports a few months ago to buy some more plates for my barbell. The male clerk walked up and said, "Let me carry that for you." I just smiled and told him no thanks. I loved the look on his face when I walked off carrying a set of 7.5 and 10 lb plates in each hand with no effort.

Yup. No, thanks, I can carry my own 35lb pail of kitty litter. And the 50lb bag of dog food, got that too. :p:p:p:p

I remember when I bought my 35lb DB, the guy at the store asked me if I needed help. I told him if I couldn't carry it to the register, I had no sense in buying it. I think he thought it was for my husband.

Nan

Great thread! I discovered the joy of working out at 12 and have been exercising hard since then ... like you, Zozo, I never ever miss a scheduled exercise session. My reasons:

1. Keeps me healthy. I rarely get sick, and when I do, it's usually not for long.

2. Keeps me strong. I have no problem picking up my 65-lb little girl. I can bring in all the groceries (5-6 big bags) in one trip. I can carry an 18 litre water bottle on my own and install it on the cooler. I can lift huge, heavy, full yard waste bags. I can shovel our whole driveway and walkway in the winter, quickly and well. I can move furniture on my own. The list goes on. You ladies know this stuff because you're just like me. :)

3. Keeps me confident and energetic.

4. I love seeing people's jaws drop when I tell them I'll be 50 on July 1. One person recently thought I was in my early 30s.

5. I like being able to eat a lot. (Well, I can't go overboard anymore, but I definitely eat more than the other women at work!)

Stebby

The reasons I work out in no particular order....

to feel good both physically and mentally

for the endorphin rush

to look hawt ;)

to improve my health

because I enjoy it

I work out because I love it. It's my "thing"!

I want to be strong. I want to have a healthy heart.

And probably my main reason for working out as hard as I do is to keep my weight from getting too low. I broke my right wrist 2 weeks ago. (Thanks to falling over my step during a KV routine), and I can't run or work out. I've lost 5 lbs so far. :(

If you ever need motivation to keep working out, imagine what it would be like if you were physically unable to do it. It's killing me! I just have to be patient and keep telling myself -- this too shall pass. Don't take your good health for granted!!

I have many of the same reasons as others, but here it goes:

1. I exercise b/c it's good for you, period. Good for you heart, and as I age better for my bones! Also good for the brain!!

2. It actually gives me more energy so that I can accomplish more throughout the day (I work, have 4 children, daily chores, etc)

3. I love how it makes me feel, gives me confidence, independence (strength...I can lift almost anything I need to), I can keep up with my children, and it's far easier to find clothes that fit too!!

4. I think it makes me a good example for my children. My children occasionally workout with me and participate in races with me (it's "our thing" a hobby we share together).

5. I love that I am almost 40 and can kick almost everyones butt in a race. Yes, the occasional 18 year old will pass by me, but in most races, I win something. Thank you, Cathe, for that. I became faster when I added Cathe to the equation.

6. It's fun....seriously, I sometimes can't fall asleep b/c I am so excited about my morning workout.

I am enjoying reading everyone's reasons for working out. My reasons are...

- It makes me feel stronger in everything I do, I LOVE that feeling.

- Gives me more energy throughout the day.

- Keeps me lean and fit and I don't feel shallow for enjoying that. I work hard and I feel proud when someone says "You look like you're in great shape" or something to that effect.

- Exercise keeps me spiritually uplifted. My personality is much different when I am not exercising and I feel a low level of depression and lack of motivation when I am sedentary too long.

Why I work out

I work out because I love it, too! It makes me feel good, it's helping my health (heart, bones, muscles, etc.), it gives me energy, and it relieves stress. I've been working out almost 30 years-since a car accident at 18 when the doctor told me to either get in the pool or start jogging to avoid having a limp the rest of my life. I was hooked right away. I went from just cardio to the Firm, to Cathe, and on to many different activities depending on my lfie circumstances (i.e.) when the kids were small I did more indoor biking and a kickbox class. Now that they're teens I'm on the road again and have an infatuation with Shaun T. When I reinjured my ankle I went back to the pool for a while. Cathe has taught me to listen to my body and inspires me each and every day.

Beth

It's lovely to see just how much we all have in common. I totally agree with all of you that have said that it makes you feel good! It's amazing what being strong can do for you...being told 'wow, you can lift that?' makes me beam :)

I'm really enjoying reading all your responses

I work out because I love it. It's my "thing"!

I want to be strong. I want to have a healthy heart.

And probably my main reason for working out as hard as I do is to keep my weight from getting too low. I broke my right wrist 2 weeks ago. (Thanks to falling over my step during a KV routine), and I can't run or work out. I've lost 5 lbs so far. :(

If you ever need motivation to keep working out, imagine what it would be like if you were physically unable to do it. It's killing me! I just have to be patient and keep telling myself -- this too shall pass. Don't take your good health for granted!!

Holy crap...and everyone gives me a lecture on mountainbiking injuries! I hope you heal quickly, I understand what you are going through, its torture to sit on the sideslines, seems like everything comes to a complete standstill.

Holy crap...and everyone gives me a lecture on mountainbiking injuries! I hope you heal quickly, I understand what you are going through, its torture to sit on the sideslines, seems like everything comes to a complete standstill.

Thanks for the sympathetic words! I had my cast shortened today and it makes a huge difference. The first one was almost to my shoulder. Now I can at least bend my elbow. I have 3 ro 4 more weeks in the cast.

She actually told me I could start running again, but warned me that a sweaty cast becomes a stinky cast and that isn't very pleasant. I am thinking it might be worth it just to get back to that part of my routine. :p

Great post!

I love everyone's responses :D

~it's my stress relief
~like so many said, for good health and longevity
~it's fun, fun, fun!
~I love the powerful feeling I have b/c of my strength
~to keep my metabolism revved up
~it's the fountain of youth
:):):)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.