Why do YOU workout?

Thanks for the sympathetic words! I had my cast shortened today and it makes a huge difference. The first one was almost to my shoulder. Now I can at least bend my elbow. I have 3 ro 4 more weeks in the cast.

She actually told me I could start running again, but warned me that a sweaty cast becomes a stinky cast and that isn't very pleasant. I am thinking it might be worth it just to get back to that part of my routine. :p

Oh how I can relate. I broke my hand and had a cast nearly up to my elbow. About three weeks into it, I was out with friends and had an ENTIRE pitcher of beer spill on that cast. I stunk so bad...by the time the cast was removed 3 weeks later, even the nurse was holding her breath. :confused:

I'm sure you are eating well, plus lots of vitamin d3 and omega 3's, plenty of salmon, right???

I love being fit, being an example to my boys. I love so many of Cathe's workouts but my favorite thing to do is ride my bikes. Solo, with my dog ( on the trails of course! ), with my teammates, with my fiancée, or with a big ole group. I always feel challenged & very happy afterwards. And there's nothing like climbing faster than some of the guys...we call that (for the guys) getting "chicked"!

I work out to maintain my sanity and health. After spending the entire day at home with my three little boys, that hour in the evenings when I can hand the kids over to DH and retreat to my workout space is priceless. Priceless I say! :p It centers me, makes me stronger and happier and, in return, makes me a better wife and mommy.

I work out to maintain my sanity and health. After spending the entire day at home with my three little boys, that hour in the evenings when I can hand the kids over to DH and retreat to my workout space is priceless. Priceless I say! :p It centers me, makes me stronger and happier and, in return, makes me a better wife and mommy.

You got it in one! It makes me stronger, happier, and therefore a better person :)

That's an easy one - health.

I will miss a scheduled workout, though, if other things get in the way or if I'm just not feeling up to it. Usually that just means I need a little rest. I had a half marathon a few weeks ago and hurt my foot halfway through. I figured out the other day that it was because my sneakers were overdue for replacing - but it took me over 2 weeks to start feeling myself again. I took some extra days off from running. Not lifting - I'm at the tail end of my 6 month STS rotation and am looking forward to starting Insanity after my recovery week.

People who don't workout don't really understand. They think we do it because we're obsessed, maybe. And I have no doubt that there are many people who are. But there's nothing like the feeling you get from an intense cardio session and seeing/feeling how your muscles respond to weights. When I did Tae Kwon Do, everyone got so "disgusted" with my energy - even the people who were 25 years younger than me. You don't get that unless you exercise and eat well.

Great thread

Basically, I think it saved my life. In 2007, I was morbidly obese, insulin resistant, suffering from PCOS (bleeding in the lining of my bladder, hirsuitism, body fat around the middle.), I was injured, terribly depressed (broken foot in several places.), my Dr. told me I was insulin resistant, my dentist told me the year before I had bone loss (already). I had to make a decision. Did I want to die? I was only 28. I was well over 100 pounds overweight. I was certain that if I didn't do something that I would be over the 300 lb mark within a few weeks. I started with a podcast called The Reasonable Diet with Sandra Ahten. I could barely walk. But, I could count my calories, I could drink water, and I could walk for 15 minutes 3x/week. I also bought a scale for myself at that time. I got a Fitday account to help me understand what worked and what didn't.

The exercise made it possible for me to tackle the weight. See, it treats the depression, the insulin resistance (and thereby the PCOS) and it helps with my over all sense of well being. I do the weight training for my bone density. If I get my exercise, I can absorb the food I eat. Otherwise, my body packs it away for later and that fat that it then becomes is toxic and exudes estrogen, making me sick. I also do yoga for the depression, to give my thyroid a jump start, and to calm my mind/spirit (because cortisol is at the top of that illness pyramid. Elevated cortisol comes with extra insulin and lowers your metabolism.)

Also, I just like it. I like going outside. I like putting my Cathe disc in. I like getting hot and sweaty. I like stretching. The only part I don't really like is the warm up and the first 3-4 minutes in the workout. But, I know that long about mile 1.2 I will feel much better.

Last edited:
Basically, I think it saved my life. In 2007, I was morbidly obese, insulin resistant, suffering from PCOS (bleeding in the lining of my bladder, hirsuitism, body fat around the middle.), I was injured, terribly depressed (broken foot in several places.), my Dr. told me I was insulin resistant, my dentist told me the year before I had bone loss (already). I had to make a decision. Did I want to die? I was only 28. I was well over 100 pounds overweight. I was certain that if I didn't do something that I would be over the 300 lb mark within a few weeks. I started with a podcast called The Reasonable Diet with Sandra Ahten. I could barely walk. But, I could count my calories, I could drink water, and I could walk for 15 minutes 3x/week. I also bought a scale for myself at that time. I got a Fitday account to help me understand what worked and what didn't.

The exercise made it possible for me to tackle the weight. See, it treats the depression, the insulin resistance (and thereby the PCOS) and it helps with my over all sense of well being. I do the weight training for my bone density. If I get my exercise, I can absorb the food I eat. Otherwise, my body packs it away for later and that fat that it then becomes is toxic and exudes estrogen, making me sick. I also do yoga for the depression, to give my thyroid a jump start, and to calm my mind/spirit (because cortisol is at the top of that illness pyramid. Elevated cortisol comes with extra insulin and lowers your metabolism.)

Also, I just like it. I like going outside. I like putting my Cathe disc in. I like getting hot and sweaty. I like stretching. The only part I don't really like is the warm up and the first 3-4 minutes in the workout. But, I know that long about mile 1.2 I will feel much better.

This is a great accomplishment and a testament to how one can feel if the body is used the way it is designed for. I think its a backwards compliment to be called obsessed with working out now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.