Why do you workout?

Hi Sandra - what a great thread you've started.

When I finally "got serious" about exercising around the age of 26, it was most definitely to lose weight. Between that time and this my 30th year, my reasons for working out have certainly expanded... they include in no particular order:

1. Maintain my weight (and maybe lose a little before my wedding in April)

2. Feel good - I don't suffer from severe depression but I find that if I go more than a couple days without exercise I start feel irritable and moody.

3. Strength

4. Flexibility

5. It keeps me young.

6. Excellently low blood pressure, resting HR, and good cholesterol.

7. My doctor praises me (and yes, I do bask in that!)

8. Every once in while I can eat the foods that I love (pizza, cheese steaks, in moderation of course) without feeling guilty and I still fit into my pants.

Liz :)

Ditto everyone else too.

Specific body aesthetics are probably the last item on a long list of reasons why I work out. I'm a miserable, sullen, morose slob who feels like she's filled with mud and peanut butter if even one scheduled workout is skipped. Plus, over time I've built a nice little mini-collection of workouts and protocols (both from Cathe's workouts AND my own aqua technique) that are FUN to do. I know enough about exercise physiology and my own physique's response to it that I can just trust that the health and body composition benefits will naturally follow as long as I remain consistent in performance AND in searching for more intensity challenge.

A-Jock

First I started because I wanted to loose weight. When I lost it I workouted because I didn't want to gain the weight again. Now I Workout because I love it. Since I discovered cathe I love my work out.Cathe is so motivating. Yesterday I did boot camp and cathe always is conforting you.I love the noises that she does as AAArg and when she says are you asking if you are ready for this today?There is only one question and that is yes, I smile. Cathe has shown me that I can do more things that I thought I could do.She has discovered a new world to me and I am very thankfull for it.

Mariángeles a spanish terminator junkie. :) :)

Sandra --

By the looks of the quick responses to this thread, you have asked a very good question :)

I think the majority of people begin an exercise plan for aesthetic reasons. I started working out in college because my butt was getting way too big! After I got my bootie under control, I began to realize that exercise just made me feel better. It made me feel stronger (physically and mentally). It made me feel accomplished. It challenged me to be better everyday. It eventually became something I love to do. It gets me going in the morning. It relieves stress. And then there are all those health reasons that aren't necessarily on my mind everyday (strong bones, low cholesterol, low BP, etc), but certainly would become a priority if they ever went bad! Even so, I still have days where getting through the workout is hard. I know it will make me feel better so I JUST DO IT. What is the alternative? A life of inactivity which, at least for me, can lead down a short road to depression.

"Upping the ante" is a natural progression (I think). It is a sign that you are progressing and challenging yourself. However, finding yourself becoming frustrated or demoralized is never a good thing. You are doing the right thing by questioning your reasons for working out. Maybe you *do* need to focus on a different goal besides the "perfect" body. What if you decided to do a competition (5k, 10k, marathon, triathlon)? How about getting certified as an instructor? What if you starting working out with a partner? Maybe have another goal in mind (like trying a new class at your local gym every month)? Perhaps work on your flexibility and stress-relief with yoga and/or pilates for a few weeks.

The truth is that I have lots of days where I'm frustrated with my bodyparts too. My butt is still not as high or fat-free as I would like. My abs aren't in the form of a six-pack. I have cellulite. But then there are days when I feel invincible, when someone comes to me for exercise advice, when I look at my biceps and think, "hey...those are some nice guns", when someone says "your abs are beautiful". I think we all have our ups and downs. Figure out ahead of time how you may try to deal with the downs!

Also, if you feel this is a serious problem, perhaps seeing a therapist would help.

take care of yourself!
Shonie

Hey Sandra, great question! I workout for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is that when I work out I am not a mother or a daughter or a widow or an employee it's just me and the challenge ahead. I have tried quiet meditation as a stress reliever to little avail. My workouts are active meditation, I do some of my best thinking and problem solving when I am working out. My mind is fully engaged in what I'm doing and then sometimes, 'CLICK' an idea will bubble up and make it all make sense or it becomes clear what I need to do. Endorphins also eat up stress hormones like pacman.
In the beginning of my fitness journey, besides wanting to lose weight, look and feel better, some of my motivation was to deal with grief and depression. That was then, now I am motivated by a desire to be fit and de-stess, It's part of being the best that I can be at this point in time. I love my addiction to fitness, it's when I play. It's good that you are letting go of the 'perfect' body idea, IMHO it's practically unattainable for most. For me the only way to get rid of that last 5-10 lbs is to take full responsibility for EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth. Meticulous clean eating (which ebbs and flows for me) is trying but get's great results. I really do love my self "warts" and all (it's the ever increasing facial hair that's making me nuts:p), I try to do the best I can today and tomorrow isn't mine to worry about. Your doing great Sandra, keep challenging yourself and rejoicing in your victories.

Take Care
Laurie :)

I've always been active, played competitive soccer and gymnastics growing up. It was just kind of a natural progression for me. I enjoy being healthy, being in shape and feeling like I look good...oh I still have those "warts" in certain places, but overall I feel good about me. Working out helps me feel good about me.

Also, I've been hit 9 times and have 2 herniated discs in my neck. I MUST workout to stay healthy and continue to be active. I'm also a stress nut, stress over silly things so it helps me relax. Right now my dad is in the hospital and terminally ill. On my lunch hours, I go downstairs to our gym and ride the bike or stairmaster and just relax into my own little world and forget about all the bad things in my life.

Colleen

Great thread! :)

I started working out to lose weight. The by-products of that were that I wanted to be healthier and combat my family's terrible heart history. After that, I worked out to de-stress, maintain my weight loss, look good (I won't lie!) and feel great. Recently, I continue to work out for a de-stressor, to have better strength, to be a healthier person, to maintain my good health levels (cholesterol, etc.) and healthy heart, to stay slim and to feel good about myself.

I edited this to say that I think it is hard to get the perfect body and you will really put yourself into a slump trying. I know b/c I have been there. In the last year, I have changed my mindset to reflect that I want to be the best I can be and these flabby abs may be just that - the best I can do. I needed to really change my focus and realize that I work hard, look good and do a tremendous amount for myself without worrying about being perfect. It's hard to get into that mindset but it is a much healthier attitude!

Christine

Ok, the reasons to workout are as varied as the people who answer here. Like many of us, I started to workut to have a better looking body. But as time progressed, my imperfect body image has disapeared, and my total self image "became quite acceptable to me". Do I weigh less or have more muscles? I don't know, the scale is not my yardstick of success.

Waking up in the morning with a positive attitude & the abscebnce of " old person" aches or pains (except some occaisional DOMS) and ready to take on the day are some of my reasons to continue exercising.

In addition, I enjoy tennis and want to remain competitive; consistent workouts help my strength and endurance on the tennis court.

I started 16 years ago to lose 30#'s I gained partying too much after getting out of High School. I then fell in love with it. I do it to look good but I mainly do it because I love how I feel. I feel so strong and healthy when I can keep up with Cathe! It has been a great stress reducer for me and keeps me sane with 2 lil' kids running around!
Take care, Susan

One of the interesting themes that's developed here is that the reasons we CONTINUE to work out have evolved and changed from the reasons we STARTED to work out. Usually the start is aesthetics- or "weight loss" related, then gradually people seem to morph over to exercise as a way of living rather than a means to a fairly narrow end. This is consistent with a study that ACE reported on, after polling people who have years- or decades-long exercise histories: the body beautiful and fears of "weight gain" are way in the Back Forty in their priorities, and in the forefront are the values of feeling good and vibrant from the inside out.

I know my own family history is shot through with heart disease, diabetes, alcoholism, some cancer and a tendency (this is more psychosocial than genetic) toward sedentariness and obesity. Man, I want to go to my Maker on my feet, not in a wheelchair via a nursing home. And I am absolutely convinced consistent exercise (as well as, for me, abstaining from alcohol and other drugs) is the ticket.

A-Jock

I workout to:
1. keep my blood pressure and heart rate low
2. keep my cardiovascular system challenged and in tip top shape
3. keep from gaining weight
4. to lose body fat
5. to keep from getting depressed and alleviate stress
6. because I absolutley love to spend the time by myself in an activity I enjoy so much (step, running, weights, abs etc)
7. tune out my husband even if its only for a short period of time
8. watch my body change over time to becomevery fit
9. to finally enjoy life again after a decade of struggling with a herniated disc problem
10. and make friends who enjoy the same activities as I do.

I workout because I've grown to LOVE it. A couple of years ago I use to workout daily at a hardcore gym--with guys who look as though they were just released from prison. I actually became obsesed with it until my daughters use to say, "Mommy you're looking like a man"x( , mainly b/c I wore my hair very short--tight to the sides & back. (it was easier to manage after a good sweat). Their friends were always saying, "Yo, your mom is diesel"}( . Then I slacked off for a while, got a little fat again, joined Lucille Robertsx( , blah...then I found CATHE:7 :7 :7, and I am no longer a member of a gym. My husband & I have our own "little" gym, and all I have in my cabinet are CATHE VHS & DVDS. But my dh is still trying to prep me to competex(. I have absolutely no interest in that.

I think I will continue to workout as a way of life and to stay healthy. Although I'm not going to lie, it was good getting the "Yo, your mom is diesel"}(......Not too far from that stage again. Only this time I have a little more hair.:)

Haydee

When I first started working out it was when I was still dating my husband. Then once we got married I gradually put on about 25 pounds (not because of having children-I don't have any yet). Finally, in August of 2002 I saw a photo of myself and was mortified. I made a copy of that photo and I keep it on my refrigerator to remind myself of where I never want to be again. That gave me the motivation to work out regularly to lose the weight and keep it off. Now I am about 5 pounds from my goal weight and to be honest - I won't be too upset if I don't lose it. I now see where I've come and see definition in my biceps, triceps, shoulders and even a slight crease down the sides of my abs - things I have never seen before. I don't want to lose that or the endurance, strength, or confidence that working out has given me. And frankly, I love the challenge of getting through tough workout. I used to totally avoid step because it was too hard-now I love it. I feel better inside and out than I ever have. I guess I have come a long way from gasping for air during a Denise Austin video.

So, thank you to Cathe and everyone here on the forums-you all have had a lot to do with helping me continue on my fitness journey-Thanks, Wendy:) :+

Thank you, thank you, thank you to EVERYONE who replied to this! My brain is still gestating all the responses, but a couple of things have bubbled to the surface, and I'll attempt to articulate them.

I think my dissatisfaction with my physique stems from my own impatience and perfectionism, but I have not lost perspective about it, either. I have done some form of exercise since I was 19 years old (dear heavens, that's 15 years ago!!!!!), with a few breaks here and there. In the late 1990s I discovered stepping and Cathe. I stopped exercising when I became pregnant in 1999, and after my baby was born, gained a lot of weight. I picked up exercise again, this time combined with strength training, in 2002, and over 9 months lost 72 pounds. This put me at a BMI of 22; exactly "normal." Geez Louise, that was a lot of work to be considered "normal"!

Along the way I remembered how much I loved to exercise, how great it made me feel, and how much I loved being strong. So, for about 2 years I've been exercising to maintain my weight loss, because it makes me feel so good, and because I know that I am doing a very good thing for myself; for my health. I call it my "Attitude Adjustment Hour" (or two!). The problem comes when I look in the mirror and see someone who does not "look" like she works out 6 days a week, every week. I am very fit, I know that. My health stats are excellent; I can do the v-pikes in PUB, and all the Terminator Climbers in BC. The problem is, I don't think that I look like someone who can do all that.

So, what I really, really want to do is to disassociate having a healthy, fit body (which I have) from having a perfectly proportioned, ultra-lean figure (which is not genetically possible for me, despite what the various fad diet gurus try to sell me). It is typical in North America to associate very lean with "fit, smart and healthy", and to automatically presume that a little body fat in the "wrong" places means you are lazy, undisciplined, overindulgent, and unable to walk around the block without getting winded. I would really like to see examples of fit women who are not perfectly proportioned, who have some tummy or cellulite, are small in the chest area but big in the rear end (okay, I only have to look in the mirror to see all that! LOL! But I would love to see more of us!)

I already eat very clean, drink buckets of water daily, and exercise regularly and at the level that is suitable for me. I can honestly say that I am doing everything I can, to the best of my ability, and that is reasonable, to make my body the best that it can be. That's all one can ask for, isn't it?

Everyone had great comments, and I appreciate the time it took for you all to write. I'll put your thoughts into my slow-cooker (brain) and let them simmer a bit longer. Something more will seep through, I'm sure.

Take care,
Sandra

endorphins
endorphins
endorphins
endorphins
being able to handle the bumps of life 100 times better
loving that feeling of being healthy and strong
keeping the same weight as in HS
keeping the same bodyfat as in HS
wearing the same size as in HS
able to wear bikini @ 47
setting a good example for the kids

The list could be a lot longer..... But truly, exercise is as much part of my daily life as sleeping or eating. Could not imagine the day without it. Mari

I have many reasons, but two that haven't shown up yet are so that when my grandkids are around I can go and do things with them and really enjoy them. My DD's are 12 and 3 and I know thats a long ways off, but I want to be ready!!!

The second is that I want to be comfortable being naked around DH, so I guess for me it makes the sex better!!

Sami

Because:

-I love getting glowing reports from my doctor.
-It makes me feel young.
-It makes me look younger.
-I am almost 50 and have no sagging on my neck (at all).
-It helps me fit into the clothes I want to wear.
-I'm not afraid to wear a bikini (AT MY AGE!)
-The only aches and pains I have are self induced DOMS.
-It keeps my confidence level very high.
-My body is not perfect, by any means, but exercising makes me proud of it.

A-Jock, I am the same way. If I miss a workout, I am one crabby gal. I consider my workouts fun and it really does something to my endorphins. I am happy and energetic after working out. Since I am not a clean eater (healthy eater, but not clean), exercise keeps me from gaining weight.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.