Why do you work out?

Well! If just doing "regular daily activities" had been enough, I wouldn't have gained almost 30 pounds! Also, if it were enough, I wouldn't have been having to walk my bike up the hills because I couldn't breathe, or stop every 10 steps trying to climb Mt. Washington because my legs hurt AND I couldn't breathe!

What a bunch of hooey!

I work out for my heart and because I *usually* feel great when I'm done. Oh yea, and I admit, to be thin
I don't believe Dr. Love was giving people license to continue unhealthy lifestyles, rather trying to take away the guilt that many women feel because we can't do it all.
She states: that the goal is to be healthy, not thin.
I think she is right

Also, it was noted that caution should be taken "against interpreting a relaxed health message as an excuse to overeat or stay sedentary. “In the process of translating this message simply to the masses, they may feel they’ve been forgiven. They shouldn’t feel like they’re sinning, but they shouldn’t feel like this is a license not to try to do better.”

It is the old adage "everything in moderation"

And despite her name ;) Dr. Love is a well known physician, foremost in the field of breast cancer, first female surgeon at Boston's Beth Israel hospital and is currently a professor of surgery at UCLA.

Well! If just doing "regular daily activities" had been enough, I wouldn't have gained almost 30 pounds! Also, if it were enough, I wouldn't have been having to walk my bike up the hills because I couldn't breathe, or stop every 10 steps trying to climb Mt. Washington because my legs hurt AND I couldn't breathe!

What a bunch of hooey!

Damn skippy doodlie!!!

Nan

Do the article/book do this really? I can see how the titles (of both the book and the book review) seem like that, but if you look at the content I think the message is really the classic "exercise/diet in moderation" dressed up in a new outfit.

I am basing my opinion on the article and review written. If you think it seems that way, then how many other people would as well? Would they stop there or would they buy the book?

We're all different and we all need to find a level of activity that works for us. We can't all be Cathe or Cathletes!

I agree, but I am not saying that people should be like anyone but themselves. However, be a healthy self.

Also, isn't it better to make achievable goals, i.e. “The goal is to be as healthy and have as good of a quality of life as you can have. It’s not to be thin?” For me, I know the goal of "thin" is fraught with anxiety and a feeling of failure and is therefore very demotivating. The goals of "thinner", "healthy", "energetic", and "happy" however, are very motivating.

I am talking about higher risk individuals. Statistically, obese people are at higher risk for heart disease as well as diabetes. There are thin people who are just as unhealthy as obese people as well. My point was to be healthy. Although blood work for an obese individual may yield normal results, that does not mean there is not a strain being out on their bodies.

Interesting thread, Laura. Great post, Amy.

Everywhere you look, magazines, television networks, newspapers, books, advertisements are throwing information at the general public about how to be "healthy". We Cathletes love it. We know what works and what's hogwash. It's a hobby for us, and we don't mind that it takes the time and effort of a part-time job. But can you imagine how daunting it must be to an outsider? Think of the things you're not so good at, but know are important, i.e. saving for your kid's college or retirement. Wouldn't you like to hear someone say to you "You're not doing so badly. This isn't as hard as you think"? Wouldn't that make you more likely to spend more time and effort rather than less? For those who have been scared away from even trying, Dr. Love could be a welcoming, inviting change.

ETA: (And those who really don't give a rat's patootie, like my DH, would never read an article or book by Dr. Love anyway :()

Last edited:
Interesting thread, Laura. Great post, Amy.

ETA: (And those who really don't give a rat's patootie, like my DH, would never read an article or book by Dr. Love anyway :()

well said Nancy,
my boyfriend would eat sugar from the jar if I let him...he has been rather impressed that I've stuck to exercising this time, & I know he hangs out on the computer when I'm doing the Cathe workouts to "see" what I'm doing hee,hee and I think he likes the music too!

Linda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.