Why do you work out?

LauraMax

Cathlete
Here's an interesting article from the NY Times, which basically says "healthy enough" is good enough. Some things really jumped out at me--I found much of this article slightly annoying:

"Likewise, while exercise is important, many people don’t place enough value on the fitness that comes from everyday tasks like lifting and chasing children, lugging groceries and cleaning house.

And there is nothing magic about losing weight. People who are obese or underweight have higher mortality rates, but people who are overweight are just as healthy as those of normal weight — and sometimes healthier. “The goal is to be as healthy and have as good of a quality of life as you can have,” Dr. Love said. “It’s not to be thin.”"

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/new-health-rule-quit-worrying-about-your-health/?em

Obviously the article is intended for those who don't live active lifestyles like us, but still, I'm skeptical. Maybe wanting to be thin is a good motivation to get off the couch, huh?

I also have a hard time taking lifestyle advice from someone named Dr. Love. :p I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions.

Wow, that WAS irritating!
I particulary scowled at this: “The goal is not to get to heaven and say, ‘I’m perfect.’ It’s to use your body, have some fun and to live a little.”

Does this woman not realise that we are 'living' when we are exercising? I certainly don't JUST exercise because I know how good it is for me! I do it because I enjoy it, AND it makes me FEEL healthy. If I FEEL healthy, surely I am LIVING a bit more than the couch potato who has bed sores. Sorry, that was probably a little harsh. I just get the feeling that a lot of people criticise people like the 'catheites' who exercise regularly and are conscious of their health, simply because they think it's too much trouble to be bothered.

I'd like to see Ms Love complete HIIT and say that 'normal' people are just as healthy as those that simply rely on the every day tasks. Pft.

She's never had the pleasure of seeing her waist line shrink, or see her muscles sprout out. It's not aiming to be perfect, it's aiming to 'live'.

Zozo, I didn't see her say people shouldn't exercise and should be couch potatoes. Her point that moderate activity and light exercise is better than being sedentary and not getting exercise is a good one. I completely agree with this and think that that way of thinking would get more people off their butts. We don't have to kill ourselves or train like professional athletes to benefit from exercise.

That said, a few of us are weirdos and enjoy training hard. I don't think she was talking about us and saying that we're bad. I think the article addresses the majority of Americans who are too sedentary.

And, one thing my GoWear Fit has taught me is that moderate activity absolutely counts. The days I've burned the most calories are days where I've been moderately active all day (and often haven't even formally "worked out"). Days where I get a strenuous workout it but don't do much else, my overall calorie burn is much lower. This was a huge eye opener for me!

Wow Laura this article is interesting. I love it when Dr. Love mentioned that overweight individuals are often healthier than normal weight. There are a lot of negative health issues that come with being overwieght such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. Yes it's true some normal weight people have these issues too but I think that comes from hereditary factors and not lifestyle factors. I think it's dangerous to have such a laid back approach to health and fitness when this nation clearly needs to think about it more not less.

Kristin
Kristin

I think the tone of the article was annoying in some spots but I agree with Amy on the activity piece. Everything counts! You don't have to go all out, every day to be fit, or even to lose weight. Shoveling counts, raking counts, all of those activities we do every day count as calories burned. However, most of us don't exercise just for calories burned. I actually LIKE to feel worked out and sore. I also like the deeply relaxed feeling after doing yoga.

On the other note about losing weight to be healthy, more and more studies are showing this is not necessary. Overweight (not obese, morbidly obese, etc.) individuals do not have higher mortality rates than "normal" weight people. In fact, the weights considered normal, overweight, obese, etc. were arbitrarily decided and changed not all that long ago.

My goal with fitness is to be as fit as I personally can and to make healthy choices. Do I sometimes get jealous when I read about the size 2 women who have a difficult time finding clothes? You bet! However, I know I cannot physically get to a size 2. I have NEVER been a size 2 so I can't stress myself about something I can't achieve.

Carrie

Wow Laura this article is interesting. I love it when Dr. Love mentioned that overweight individuals are often healthier than normal weight. There are a lot of negative health issues that come with being overwieght such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. Yes it's true some normal weight people have these issues too but I think that comes from hereditary factors and not lifestyle factors. I think it's dangerous to have such a laid back approach to health and fitness when this nation clearly needs to think about it more not less.

Kristin
Kristin

I think maybe that is the point of that part of the article. Overweight people who are active and healthy, don't have these issues. It doesn't have to do with the number on the scale but the level and types of healthy habits (exercise, eating right, etc.). There are some people that have difficulty losing weight even with exercising every day and eating well. It doesn't mean they aren't healthy. From personal experience, I wish people (physicians especially!!) would look beyond a person's outward appearance to determine health.

Carrie

From personal experience, I wish people (physicians especially!!) would look beyond a person's outward appearance to determine health.

Carrie

I agree with that totally. Not everyone is made in the same way, and I think that 'health' should be determined by blindfolded testers! A pre-judgment is always made, and that is not fair.
Having said that, I still believe that the author of the article hasn't succeeded in 'appealing' to her audience. I find the article does put down people who exercise intensly. Having said that, some of the points that she makes are good ones, I just wish she'd worded them slightly differently.

I think what bothers me most about these types of articles is they can be very unmotivating to non-exercisers. The whole raking & vaccuming being legitimate exercise may be true, but I don't think it should give free reign for someone to say "well, I vaccumed today........whew, so glad I got a good workout in!" Which might be fine on an off day, but not every day! It almost encourages a sedentary lifestyle instead of encouraging a more active lifestyle.

I read stuff like this & I feel it contributes to our obesity epidemic & unhealthy lifestyles that are rampant in this country.

OK, I'm going back to work now, during which time I will sit at my desk & type a number of documents. Perhaps I'll even burn a couple hundred calories. ;)

Great article.

I got a Bodybugg for Christmas and was amazed at how "worked out" I feel at the end of every day where I get 10,000 or more steps - even more so than if I went to the gym. A non-gym, typical day of 10K+ steps includes walking my kids to and from school, then taking a long walk, going grocery shopping, shoveling my driveway, shlepping laundry to the basement and back up again, cleaning, etc.

I work out at the gym because I like a change of pace. I like biking, swimming and playing basketball... things I can't do at home in the winter.

The point of the article is that "fitness" is not an either/or proposition. A healthy lifestyle can be as simple as being off of one's duff, even if it's light housework. If one wants to add weight training and cardio to the mix, more power to them.

PS - Susan Love wrote an outstanding book for women with breast cancer, or any woman concerned with breast health. It's called "Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book." I gave it as a gift to my BFF when she was diagnosed with cancer and she thanked me over and over for it.

These kind of articles really tick me off

Seriously?!?!

Considering that over 2/3 (I suppose going on 3/4 at this point) of Americans are OBESE (not even just a few pounds over weight), this article is dangerous.

First of all, define "healthy enough". What does that mean? Are these people truly healthy or are they "just not sick right now". Giving individuals carte blanche to continue unhealthy habits is just irresponsible in my opinion. Furthermore, as far as worrying about whether or not you have eaten enough blueberries in one day, well I blame the over-hyped practices of the media and the idiots who fail to use common sense or logic to figure out that a well rounded diet is the way to go. If I were a doctor and my patient freaked out beause of blueberries, I would refer them to a psychologist and a dietician. I think there is a bit of exaggeration in that article. Perhaps the patient is actually concerned that he or she is getting in the proper nutrients and is actually taking an interest in a healthy lifestyle??? Why would a doctor discourage that???

I love when articles start to quote studies and research, blah, blah, blah. What kind of studies generate these conclusions? What sample size was taken and does it truly act in accurate representation of the overall population? I don't think so...not if two thirds of the total population is obese. Is obesity considered "good enough healthy"? Who pays for these studies? I refer back to the Corner Growers Association commercials that stated that stated that high fructose corn syrup in moderation is ok. Define moderation!! HFCS is in EVERYTHING prepackaged and premade!!!! So glad that they can't put it in the raw ingredients.

Just like the moderation concept, I think that the "good enough" concept gives people an easy way out of taking responsibility for their health and the health of their families. We ALL have one reason or another NOT to live a healthy lifestyle. Regardless if you have family, work, school, etc, you CAN fit it in. You just have to make it a priority and put it first on the list.

I wonder if this doctor is aware of how the healthcare industry and health insurance works? Does the author know that increase in number of claims = increase in healthcare costs? Are they aware that unheathy lifestyles lead to health problems and that ultimately leads to more claims? Consider this: doctors visits + diagnostic tests + medications or medical accessories + follow up visits, etc. Now multiply that by ALL the people with ailments. The costs are staggering.

A better article to write would be about personal responsibility. The author and this doctor could have paired up and written a nice book that instructs people on how to logically design a meal plan -that doesn;t make some freak out and count all their blueberries.

You know what? I am really sick of people thinking that because we exercise daily, that we are aliens or something. Let me attach something that just last night my mother wrote in an email...seriously - read what she wrote in response to me telling her about my latest struggle with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and my 10 lb weight gain and joint pains...

"At the risk of sounding like somebody's know-nothing mother, it seems to me exercising 6x/week is excessive unless you are Denise Austin being paid on TV, especially since I know you do it with extreme gusto, (a/k/a OCD). I cannot believe you couldn't reduce actual workout time for what you push yourself to do in your daily routine. People can take care of their body without working it to death. I wish you had never gone into personal training. I wish you had kept your delight in exercise as just a hobby which was personal only. I believe it has created an obsession in you that may eventually overflow to your whole family, if it hasn't already. Would you at least consider the possibility that maybe it might be a little excessive. What you considered 'overweight' that 'traumatized' you when younger should be more sensibly defined as lack of sculpting, which you have certainly now achieved and will likely always maintain. Body sculpting can surely be maintained at a lesser pace than whole-body workouts nearly every day at a fast pace to get your heart rate up. "

So Cathletes, trust me, I know what you mean. People just don't get it. I had to set her straight and tell her that I workout no more than 45-60 min daily. I don't do "whole body workouts" as she says. I do cardio on opposite days that I do STS. THAT IS IT. Big whoop, you know? Wow. I like to exercise. I do it in moderation. I am a trainer. I want to feel good, look good, train good.

PS - she lives on a diet of cigarettes and donuts and thinks that they are good for her. Yes, for real.

Clarissa

Clarissa, I completely sympathise with you. I try not to let my friends know how much I exercise, because the ones that do are so critical! They always go 'you don't NEED to exercise'. But that's the point, they see healthy me, the result OF EXERCISE. I know I shouldn't, but I resent being criticised for being healthy, by peaople who drink, eat lots of junk, and detest physical activity.

I love my exercise, and it is not 'execessive'. Like you said, I want to feel good, so I train. If it is an 'obsession' or an 'addiction' as my friends call it, it's a blooming healthy one. THey wouldn't dream of openly criticising an avid smoker, so I don't think it's fair that they criticise us.
Having said that, it is funny, watching my Grandma sigh and hear her say 'but she exercised yesterday, didnt she?' when she thinks I'm out of ear shot.

Giving individuals carte blanche to continue unhealthy habits is just irresponsible in my opinion.

Do the article/book do this really? I can see how the titles (of both the book and the book review) seem like that, but if you look at the content I think the message is really the classic "exercise/diet in moderation" dressed up in a new outfit.

Again, I think there most certainly IS reason to sell exercise and healthy eating as something that can be done in a moderate, easy way for anyone. I know many people who don't even try because they don't think they can follow all the rules and they feel overwhelmed before they even begin. I'd be thrilled if my mom started an easy walking program and stuck to it, even if I personally like more intensity. We're all different and we all need to find a level of activity that works for us. We can't all be Cathe or Cathletes!

Also, isn't it better to make achievable goals, i.e. “The goal is to be as healthy and have as good of a quality of life as you can have. It’s not to be thin?” For me, I know the goal of "thin" is fraught with anxiety and a feeling of failure and is therefore very demotivating. The goals of "thinner", "healthy", "energetic", and "happy" however, are very motivating.

Let's face it, our culture has trained women to be OBSESSED by being thin, and that's both dangerous and depressing. Fortunately, I think people are getting smarter and that this attitude (thin at all costs) is becoming more and more passe. Now when I meet women who feel this way, I truly feel sorry for them, because I think this is nothing but a waste of energy that could've been used so much more productively. We only live once, after all. I don't think it's attractive to be so focused on being skinny, to the exclusion of other interests. Also, people with this attitude seem old to me (perhaps because my 86 yr old grandmother has always been and is still obsessed with being skinny). I don't want to be like that at that age, or at my current age either!

Amy

Do the article/book do this really? I can see how the titles (of both the book and the book review) seem like that, but if you look at the content I think the message is really the classic "exercise/diet in moderation" dressed up in a new outfit.

Again, I think there most certainly IS reason to sell exercise and healthy eating as something that can be done in a moderate, easy way for anyone. I know many people who don't even try because they don't think they can follow all the rules and they feel overwhelmed before they even begin. I'd be thrilled if my mom started an easy walking program and stuck to it, even if I personally like more intensity. We're all different and we all need to find a level of activity that works for us. We can't all be Cathe or Cathletes!

Also, isn't it better to make achievable goals, i.e. “The goal is to be as healthy and have as good of a quality of life as you can have. It’s not to be thin?” For me, I know the goal of "thin" is fraught with anxiety and a feeling of failure and is therefore very demotivating. The goals of "thinner", "healthy", "energetic", and "happy" however, are very motivating.

Let's face it, our culture has trained women to be OBSESSED by being thin, and that's both dangerous and depressing. Fortunately, I think people are getting smarter and that this attitude (thin at all costs) is becoming more and more passe. Now when I meet women who feel this way, I truly feel sorry for them, because I think this is nothing but a waste of energy that could've been used so much more productively. We only live once, after all. I don't think it's attractive to be so focused on being skinny, to the exclusion of other interests. Also, people with this attitude seem old to me (perhaps because my 86 yr old grandmother has always been and is still obsessed with being skinny). I don't want to be like that at that age, or at my current age either!

What a great, well written post. I could not agree more.

Seriously?!?!

Considering that over 2/3 (I suppose going on 3/4 at this point) of Americans are OBESE (not even just a few pounds over weight), this article is dangerous.

First of all, define "healthy enough". What does that mean? Are these people truly healthy or are they "just not sick right now"..

I guess it depends on your definition of "these people." I happen to be one of "these people" and am NOT "sick" nor have I ever been. My cholesterol is fine. My blood pressure is fine. I do not have diabetes. I work out every day and make healthier choices than most (choices are improving every day).

Giving individuals carte blanche to continue unhealthy habits is just irresponsible in my opinion. Furthermore, as far as worrying about whether or not you have eaten enough blueberries in one day, well I blame the over-hyped practices of the media and the idiots who fail to use common sense or logic to figure out that a well rounded diet is the way to go. If I were a doctor and my patient freaked out beause of blueberries, I would refer them to a psychologist and a dietician. I think there is a bit of exaggeration in that article. Perhaps the patient is actually concerned that he or she is getting in the proper nutrients and is actually taking an interest in a healthy lifestyle??? Why would a doctor discourage that???.

I didn't think the purpose of the article was to give individuals "carte blanche to continue unhealthy habits." I did think the author and physician made good points. Especially for those who do no exercise at all, doing anything is better than that nothing. If the choice is between sitting on the couch watching The Biggest Loser or getting up and marching in place while it is on, or even getting up during the commercials and dusting, vacuuming, etc., then certainly some activity is better than none.

I love when articles start to quote studies and research, blah, blah, blah. What kind of studies generate these conclusions? What sample size was taken and does it truly act in accurate representation of the overall population? I don't think so...not if two thirds of the total population is obese. Is obesity considered "good enough healthy"? Who pays for these studies? I refer back to the Corner Growers Association commercials that stated that stated that high fructose corn syrup in moderation is ok. Define moderation!! HFCS is in EVERYTHING prepackaged and premade!!!! So glad that they can't put it in the raw ingredients.

Just like the moderation concept, I think that the "good enough" concept gives people an easy way out of taking responsibility for their health and the health of their families. We ALL have one reason or another NOT to live a healthy lifestyle. Regardless if you have family, work, school, etc, you CAN fit it in. You just have to make it a priority and put it first on the list.

I wonder if this doctor is aware of how the healthcare industry and health insurance works? Does the author know that increase in number of claims = increase in healthcare costs? Are they aware that unheathy lifestyles lead to health problems and that ultimately leads to more claims? Consider this: doctors visits + diagnostic tests + medications or medical accessories + follow up visits, etc. Now multiply that by ALL the people with ailments. The costs are staggering..

The point of the article (and the research done by NONE INDUSTRY FUNDED SOURCES does back this up), is that those who are overweight (not morbidly obese) do not have the health problems as purported in the media.

A better article to write would be about personal responsibility. The author and this doctor could have paired up and written a nice book that instructs people on how to logically design a meal plan -that doesn;t make some freak out and count all their blueberries.

I agree 100% on this! I feel that personal responsibility in ALL aspects of life is sorely lacking.

Carrie

Gosh Amy, . .this is so well written. I couldn't agree more. What is so funny is that Laura posted this. I've been tearing myself up over this for the past 4 months. My MIL passed away from terminal lung cancer (4 months ago). She like your 86 year old grandmother for all her life before she died was on a diet. She was almost to the point of what I would consider obsessed with how she looked. She never left the house without full make up and without her clothes neatly pressed. During the end of her life she looked me straight in the eye and said that it is so ironic how all her life she's denied herself (she was ALWAYS on a diet or taking walks to lose weight) and how she would give anything to be able to just eat a cookie and keep it down. She died 98lbs thin barely recognizable at 5 feet 7".
I've been so depressed wondering "Why the heck do I work out so hard?" I mean I enjoy going out for a leasure run or doing a Cathe video, . .but why is it that I feel compelled to deny myself a slice of cheesecake with a glass of wine because of the calories, . . or why do I HAVE to workout 1 hour everyday for 6 days.
With 2010 here I've revamped my workout goals and my look on life. I'm working out for fun, . .on my agenda for this year I plan to stay fit mountain biking,trail running, hiking, taking krav maga, fencing, and ballroom dancing, and ballet classes oh and weight lifting with Cathe (not all at once of course). I'm eating foods that I enjoy that are natural (with as little preservatives to no preservatives at all). I'm increasing my veggie with weekly trips to the farmers market and I cook every day! If I want a burger I'm making it myself so I know what is in it. I'm just eating less of the treat stuff and recognizing when I'm full.
You know I don't want to run a marathon, and I'm not going to be in a fitness competition. I want to be healthy and I don't want to be obese. I want a strong ticker and strong lungs but I don't want to be the person that feels compelled to work out like a maniac. For the past 5 years I could never go for a run unless I ran at least 5 miles at a time and I would never allow myself a walk break. Now I'm taking hikes and I'm listening to the birds chirp. I'm living life and I'm refusing to deny myself to opportunity to have fun doing it.
Okay off my soap box. By the way I'm not judging those of you who want to workout everyday, . .heck more power to you. I know how great I feel after those long hard workouts. I feel invincible. I'm just making more time for other things I never had time for before. Sweat on everyone!!

Janie - what a wonderful post! I love the idea of working out for the fun of it. And what a good lesson you learned from your MIL. I learned something similar from my Gram. At the age of 70 or so, she was diagnozed with high cholesterol. Her physician started her on medication and told her to change her diet (less fat, no eggs, etc.). She tried that for about a month and was MISERABLE...believe me, I lived with her at the time!! After that month she said, "you know what? I don't know how many years I have left, but I am going to enjoy every last one of them!" She started eating eggs again (in moderation, of course) and enjoying her foods. She just turned 90 in October.

Carrie

Ok, I'm "ditto-ing" Janie's accolade to Pixesis' posts, and then giving an additional accolade to Janie for her post! :p

I can say I originally started it to lose weight and not keel over dead early. There are a ton of health issues in my family and being obese wasn't going to help me in any way, shape, or form.

Fast forward several years.....

I work out because

I feel better, mentally and physically
I know my insides are healthier
My joints/bones/muscles are healthier
It makes me feel good
It is great for relieving stress - I've mentally plastered many a bosses face across the TV while kickboxing
I get ants in my pants and can't sit still - it gets energy out
I like to eat, keeps weight in check
Its fun

Nan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.