Why do my feet hurt when working out? Do I need new shoes?

Candiceena

Cathlete
Hi my fellow Cathletes,

I was hoping you all could give me some insight into a problem I've noticed. When I am doing my workouts my feet hurt - its the bottom of my feet, and it's like the muscles of my foot-sole are BURNING (kinda like how our quads burn in workouts sometimes! hehe). Sometimes they hurt so bad I have to stop and take my shoes and socks off.

I don't have this problem any other time. If I work out barefoot I dont have this problem either but that isn't very good idea for me because I have carpet and my bare feet don't have much traction for things like lunges and dips.

My workout shoes are about 2 years old. I know I should probably get some new ones. But I'm wondering if maybe it's the actual type of shoes I have? I've got Ryka Synergy shoes.

Or could it be my socks?? I have PUMA workout socks with the arch support built in and I feel like they are really tight. Like my toes can hardly move in them. Could it be socks? I know that sounds silly at first, but the socks are REALLY tight. Not uncomfortable per se (its not like cutting off circulation) but very difficult to wiggle my toes in.

I would get new shoes. I replace my workout shoes every three to six months depending on how much plyo I'm doing.

If you don't get that pain working out barefoot then it is definitely either your shoes or socks. My husband had a very similar pain and had just switched to a new sock brand that was tight-apparently enough to impinge on the nerves enough to cause that burning sensation. He changed back to his old socks and the pain went away.
You also really need some new shoes if yours are that old.
Beth

I love the Asics also. You sound like you definitely need new shoes and ditch the socks for ones that are not so tight. I wear Old Navy ones and have no problem. Tight socks? I can't even imagine!

I would get new shoes. I replace my workout shoes every three to six months depending on how much plyo I'm doing.

Same here and if you workout every day you should alternate shoes. When I workout two days in a row I don't use the same shoes, especially if the workout of the previous day had some kind of cardio. I alternate shoes since I was in high school and ran almost daily. That was one of the suggestions our coach gave us and I still do it after all these years. And the socks should be comfortable as well. I like Asics shoes and Puma men's ankle socks, go figure.:)

Hi Candice - I agree with the others that it is time for new shoes! And when you get those, maybe do a little experiment to see if the socks are still a problem. One thing I would suggest when you buy your shoes, is to go to a store where the salespeople are experts in fitting you with shoes that will compensate for any gait issues you may have, and give you the right support for the activity you are doing. Good luck!

Stebby

Thank you all for the input!! I am definitely going to try new shoes and also some new socks :)

Are asics available to buy in store? Or only online? I love to get "fitted" because I think I have an irregular gait in my right leg. Thanks!!

Yup, it's time for new shoes, and lose the socks. A few years ago I bought new shoes that were so stiff it felt like I had concrete blocks on my feet. Half way through the workout the balls of my feet would start to burn. Got rid of the shoes, and the problem went away. It's time I bought new shoes. I'm going to check out the shoes Clare suggested. Hope a new pair of shoes will take care of your problem. Good luck!!

You definitely should replace your shoes more often. I know the expense is a pain (I'm a poor student), but I still replace mine every year or my arches start to hurt.

It might also be worth visiting a physical therapist or a QUALITY shoe store where you can have your feet and gait assessed to make sure you get a shoe that fits your needs. I agree with the others who said that Asics are awesome, but they won't necessarily work for you the same way they work for me.

Not many stores fit your feet fir shoes apart from good quality running stores. Lady Locker type stores don't have staff knowledgeable enough to do this either.

Few running stores stock much by way of cross trainers either.

The good thing about stores like zappos and amazon is that shipping will be free and you just send back free of charge what doesn't work for you. I buy all my athletic shoes s/h free from these two stores.

Asics tend to run true to size, i.e., I wear in an Asics (irrespective of whether it's a running or cross trainer shoe) the same size shoes as I wear on the street, an 8 1/2. I always have to size up for Nike and Ryka and Merrell.

If you have a Dicks sorting Goods Store near you they do carry a range of shoes, cross trainers included, so you can try on an Asics shoe and see what size you are. Then you can order online for a better price. If you have feet of different sizes, and a lot of us do, fit for the larger foot and wear an orthotic or regular liner/insert to make the shoe fit for the smaller foot.

I need running shoes to fix a pronation issue, so I always buy a stability Asics running shoe. I am not convinced this is such a problem with cross trainers because the issues that cause me trouble when running do not occur or do not cause me pain or injury when doing step, HiiT, plyo, etc. So, your issues may not matter so much when fitting for a cross trainer.

However, I do wear a custom orthotic inside my running shoes (to raise up my heels) and I was instructed to wear them in any athletic shoe I have so I place these inside my cross trainers too, and walking shoes. Just not my street shoes.

Clare

Thanks for the extra input Clare. :)

We don't have a Dicks in my area. We do have a Big Five Sporting Goods though so maybe I will try them to see if they have any Asics cross trainers just to try on for size. I will definitely order from Amazon since I have prime.

The cost has been the main reason I've held off from buying new shoes but I really don't think I can hold out any longer.

One last thing - sorry for all the questions - will cross-trainers work if I am going to be doing run/walk intervals 1-3 times a week, or just 45-60 min walks? At what point do I need separate shoes for running, walking, run/walk intervals, and DVD workouts like FIRM & Cathe?

A running shoe and a cross trainer are not compatible in terms of cushioning.

Running shoes have built up heels because most of us heel strike, and that's where the cushioning is needed. the cushioning then thins as it reaches the toe area. Running shoes also do not need to worry about a whole lot of lateral support because running action is uni-directional for the most part.

You can indeed, and I do, wear a running shoe for walking.

Therefore, I think 2 pairs of shoes are the minimum for someone doing Cathe, running, walking and weight training activities.

Amazon teds to reduce the price on less popular sizes and colours. You can see from the link I sent you that the price quoted for the gel Craze comes within a range. Maybe your size/colour choice cna help you cut costs?

Clare

That's a great idea Clare. I see what you mean on Amazon about differnet prices for different colors. I'm going to go with cross trainers for now because that makes up the majority of my workouts. But thank you for explaining the difference to me. That makes good sense. I will probably buy some running shoes come July because that is when our weather is more stable in terms of being nice and warm out so that's probably when I'll be doing more outdoor run/walk intrevals. :) Thank you again!!

I just did my first workout today with my new ASICS Craze shoes. LOVE them!! Soooo comfortable! Maddiesmum, thanks so much for the recommendation.

Hi Clair!
Are these Asics you are speaking of, they don't have high arches do they? I am looking for some cross trainers that do not have to much arch. I have PF and if I feel any of that business it flares up! So I need plenty of cushion cause I have bony bottom feet .

Like my fav running shoe is brooks defyance 5 great for running but not great for the step aerobics or plyo, side to side lateral movements. It's hard to find good cushion in a cross trainer without the arch support. I hope I am making sense. Just curious what it feels like before I attempt to buy them
Thanks

I just ordered the Asics Gel Craze from Amazon!! They were only $64 and I paid $9 for next-day-Saturday shipping so I could have them for tomorrow's workout. I'm so excited!!

Hi Clair!
Are these Asics you are speaking of, they don't have high arches do they? I am looking for some cross trainers that do not have to much arch. I have PF and if I feel any of that business it flares up! So I need plenty of cushion cause I have bony bottom feet .

Like my fav running shoe is brooks defyance 5 great for running but not great for the step aerobics or plyo, side to side lateral movements. It's hard to find good cushion in a cross trainer without the arch support. I hope I am making sense. Just curious what it feels like before I attempt to buy them
Thanks

Renee:

HI! No, I don't think they have high arches at all. I use my custom orthotic inside the shoe in order to give me the additional arch support. Without them, all athletic shoes feel "flat" to me.

If you order from zappos or amazon with free s/h and free returns, you can try them and not lose $.

Good luck.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.