Why can't people follow the simplest of directions?

LauraMax

Cathlete
I'm advertising for 3 jobs right now. The notice specifically instructs applicants to download the application, complete it, & email it to me.

Since I first posted the job almost 2 weeks ago, I've recieved almost 300 applications. But at least 50% of them have not followed directions. Most of them just shoot off their resume & don't even notice there's an application that MUST be completed.

Some of them mail or fax the application instead of emailing it.

My favorites are the numerous emails & phone calls I've received asking me for instructions on how to download the application. Ummm, it's a Word doc. If they can't figure out how to download it (as in, CLICK ON THE LINK KNUCKLEHEAD!), do I even want to consider them for an interview?

Oh, & I had one woman call & yell at me. She said she'd applied here before but we'd hired an internal candidate, would this happen if she applied again? Do we always hire internal candidates for open positions? Are the positions listed really open or just up for show? Should she bother even wasting her time applying? I asked her her name, & then told her not to waste her time. :p

Of course I'm already fighting w/my boss, b/c I think if someone doesn't take the time or have the attention to detail to correctly follow the application process, which isn't exactly rocket science, they likely would not make a stellar employee & they should be kicked out immediately, but he wants to look at all of them. Which is idiotic b/c I have some really amazing candidates who followed the instructions to a T.

Gawd do I ever hate HR work! :mad:

Gawd do I ever hate HR work! :mad:

Word.

Seriously though, I know exactly what you are saying. When I advertise for job the same thing happens. Including fighting with my boss about who should and who should not be considered.:p

It's really frustrating, isn't it? You'd think applicants would really want to "wow" you.

LOL about the lady who called you, yelled at you, and then gave you her name:eek:

My latest emailed the app & said there was some info he wasn't comfortable including in it, but he'd share it if he got an interview.

Oddly, one of these pieces of info is apparently his phone number. :D

Frustrating, but sometimes entertaining too. :rolleyes:

I can't STAND people who don't follow directions!! If I was reviewing apps, those who didn't do as requested would go right in the garbage. I don't care what credentials you have; if you didn't follow my directions for something as important as a job application, how can I be sure you will follow directions when you're working FOR ME?! That's something I wouldn't want to risk. Wasn't reading directions the 1st thing they taught us in kindergarten?

A couple of weeks ago I went to get my proof of residency for school notarized. I filled everything out except the part where it said to sign with the clerk as a witness. I brought it to her when I was done and she said "You didn't sign." I said "I know, it said you needed to witness it." The other clerk was like "Wow, I think she is the 1st one who read the directions." Really?!

Laura,
I totally agree with you. Following directions is part of the job so the application process should follow suit. Many positions say "No Phone Calls," but ppl do anyways.
Smooze your boss with the ones that followed directions to the T then brush over the ones that didn't.

I LOVED working in HR. And I dealt with a lot of these very same things. Those that didn't follow directions, misspelled words in their ap/resume, etc went RIGHT TO THE BOTTOM of the pile. I didn't eliminate them completely...they just weren't the first dozen I interviewed or considered! :)

Good luck with that! ;)

I'm thinking if they can't follow directions to get the job, then they shouldn't have the job.

Nan

That's exactly what I think! I mean, the jobs aren't that high level, but they do require a lot of attentiont to detail b/c I work for local govmt, & most of the stuff we do have statutory requirements attached to them. If you forget to cross a T or dot an I things have to be re-done.

So if someone screws up an application, like leaving their phone number out for pete's sake, what kind of employee would s/he be???????

Well, it would be a red flag to me as well that they probably aren't the best candidate. However... Maybe they don't have their resumes in soft copy or maybe they're using a library computer and can't download the application. Maybe, they're doing so many applications that they're getting burnt out. I guess I would cut them a break and take a look at the qualities they have because you may miss out on someone good who, due to circumstances beyond their control, they can't actually follow your directions to a tee.

You were definitely right to tell that caller not to bother. It amazes me what some applicants do while job hunting and wonder why they don't get hired.

OMG, Laura! I literally was just yelling at my computer screen for the same exact thing! Sent an email out with explicit, bold instructions including a giant screen shot with highlighted and arrowed features and people are still not following instructions - then of course, want exceptions to be made. (it's my mistake, but can you fix it for me because I don't want to correct it myself!) argh!!!!

.So if someone screws up an application, like leaving their phone number out for pete's sake, what kind of employee would s/he be???????
ITA
And especially in the current economy, with high unemployment and people looking for jobs, you'd think they'd do their utmost to do it right.

I would say that applications from those who can't follow the instructions should get only a cursory glance if that.

I headed a faculty search last year, and several applicants (for a French/Italian teaching position, with emphasis on the French) didn't have the necessary qualifications (like French!)...why even apply? Do they think "yeah, they're asking for French, but if they don't get the exact candidate they want, maybe they'll consider me"...not!

I've also served on a committee that handled applications for a college travel award, and it's amazing to me how many people with PhDs can't follow the directions! (And we went over the application forms with a fine-tooth comb to make them very clear...obviously not enough to some people!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.