Who cares/Strong & sensible 2018

Hi everyone! Knee is getting better. Did and easy ride Sunday because it was so cool out. Took off mon and tues because my knee hurt, and it was hit! We are having a string of over 90 degree days, that’s hot for us! Normally we only have 40 of those a year and after this week there will be 7 already. Cycled today and knee feels pretty good, but I was gentle with it. Turns out I think it was from not stretching, especially my hamstrings. I have a touch of plantar fasciitis in my foot (same leg) so it makes sense.

Jody, we had a cat years ago that we were told it was a female by the breeder, took it in to get spayed and the vet called us up laughing hysterically how they were surprised to see it was actually a male! So it happens a lot! That darn male Siamese cat wanted to wander so much even after having him fixed. After having kids I couldn’t pamper him as much and got to letting him out, poor thing got killed by a loose dog in our front yard.

Ronne, can’t believe you are still doing headstands! I know I’d injure myself!

Murphy, glad to hear the neck is better. Seems you and I are either the only ones age is affecting or we are the only ones fessing up to it! Yes, I can tell it takes me longer to recover, then dh says wait until I get to his age, 62, some days I wonder if I’ll make it, other days I wonder if I want to make it! Lol!

Mary, having fun with the kids? So proud of my boys so independent and doing well in their careers, but at times I miss the old days. Enjoy them while you can!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello

Lisa - glad to hear you're recovering well. No, you're not on your own; I'm certainly suffering with more long-term injuries that never get better. Fortunately I don't think I've had anything as serious as you.

No workout to report today. I've got meetings and have to go out so can't fit one in. May possibly do some bedtime yoga later as sleep is a bit erratic at the moment. Probably won't get one in tomorrow as I have to go out for a meeting. All pretty quiet apart from that.

Lisa, we've had a lot of rain. 90 does seem hot for CO this early in the year. I could handle the heat better than the wind, though. My age shows particularly in how slowly I hobble downstairs in the morning before coffee.
Murphy, Re the cat, yeah you would think we'd have noticed! I hope your eye is better, that was weird. Eye scratches are so extremely irritating and painful, very difficult to ignore.
Ronne, I pulled out a KCM her tabata and wts one, Shape up I think but did SNS BC instead. That was yesterday. Today I may not do anything structured. The household is very stressful right now.
Today dd is going head to head w/ AC company on roof where her threatened birds are nesting. It feels like a drama on par w/ Greenpeace and whales. Sending prayers!

Jody, one of our favorite trails is closed until Octobe, the notice says it’s because of ground nesting birds! It’s a main trail to the bus station for a lot of commuters, the detour is a very rough trail with muddy areas(got my bike shoes all muddy boo) when we had rain, now that it’s been in the 90s for 12 days it just might be dried up now and now I can quit trespassing to cross the railroad tracks the only other viable option). Now what the heck is a ground nesting bird and why do they need that whole area?

We cycled yesterday (and waved at the ground nesting birds that we can’t see -it’s a huge area that is closed off-as we went by the closed trail) because of that the 10 miles was 500 ft gain, that’s a lot! So I was tired today.

Also as we rode through a park area a hawk swooped down on us, I had to slow down or I would have run right into it ! As it was he was right at eye level, about 3 feet away! That is quite a close up encounter of the bird species and it was huge! and if you know me I’m not a fan of birds.....I think I was traumatized as a child and I’m scared to death of them and their erratic movements.

Hi everyone! Have been working out, mostly hanging out! Back at work too, with the paramedics.

Lisa, hawks! We have those too, I’m always afraid they are going to scoop Boo up! Sounds like your knee is better?

Jody, how did DD do? What a great life skill for her! Of course, easy for me to say, I didn’t have to do it, I’m such a baby, terrible at confrontation. That is a life skill I still need to acquire.

Ronne, do you have a trip planned this summer? I love your adventures! I’m getting excited for ours. We changed our minds, going to Rome, then Paris. Get a little taste of things.

Murphy, I think I missed something? Scratched your eye? That is painful.

Hi Tracey!

We take DS to Chicago next weekend, has been so nice having him around, Have a good day! Mary

Today is a rest day. My neck is better, but the kink still there, just less. The elbow pain is better. Geez, am I becoming one of those senior citizens who complains about her aches and pains.

Waves to all.
Lisa - glad you are feeling better.
Jody - how did things go w/ dd?
Mary - I was walking and a strong wind blew something into my eye. It's much better now.

Murphy

Hello ladies! Did an Yvette workout today. Goodness, we are getting closer to be considered senior citizens! How did that happen??? I don’t think we have aged a day! Hope everyone is well! Mary

Bird update- was a non issue since we've had so much rain; the nests had been washed away and they hadn't re nested. The AC guy was free to do his thing. She just had to go up on the roof prior and make sure it was clear.

RE senior citizens- I went to a retirement workshop and subsequently met w/ the planners. I'm hopeful, since it didn't look as bleak as I thought, but I'm not likely to retire anytime soon. Take away from the workshop was that taxes are historically low and expected to climb dramatically, convert to Roth as much as possible, and try to set up your retirement income in such a manner as to reduce your tax burden.

RE workouts- I did a KCM Shape Up day before yesterday. Murphy, I thought of you b/c my 22 yr old dtr comes home while I'm working out, starts talking to me, wafts her new Lush products under my nose (while I'm doing running man on the step), i.e. workout interrupters in the form of our darling daughters.

Perhaps I'll be back later to add a workout for today? Edited to add a walk and FS shred cardio TS (6 blasts).

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I've been buried under a mound of work for the last couple of weeks, I just want to switch my computer off and walk away at the end of the day. I have managed to keep up with the workouts, I had a FS week last week and I'm mixing and matching this week. Did a Jessica Smith pilates today which was a good change of pace.
Not much else to report - enjoying watching the football (World Cup in Russia, we won last night!) and the weather's pretty good although my own temperature gauge has been getting a bit out of whack recently.

Jody - glad to hear all OK on the bird front. :)

Mary - we're staying a bit closer to home this summer, Germany and Greece.

Lisa - my DH would have loved to have that encounter with a hawk!

Maybe I'm in a bit of a minority in that I side with the snakes, gators and raptors?
Ronne, sounds like work is a bit much these days! Hang in there. I'm needing to print the FS Guide. It helps me figure out what to do when I can sift through the guides. Well, it probably really adds to my procrastination.
Mary, how was the Windy City?
Lisa, I think I would have appreciated the close encounter w/ the hawk as well.
Today I did a Cathe newsletter inspired w/o. I cued up Spotify playlists and went outside and used my mini tramp, tabata body wt stuff and then finished inside w/ some giant sets using my Tower. When I was done I plopped in the lawn chair and did a Deepak/Oprah meditation and soaked up some sun/vitamin D. Well done me : ).
Waves to all.

Hello! How is everyone? All good here, got DS is Chicago, heart of the city, I think he will have a ball. Next Friday I start my trek! 32 hour journey to get to DD.

Jody, did the birds have to find someplace else to live? Retirement will be here before we know it!

Ronne, Greece looks so beautiful! Good and bad about work, more money, less time. Terrible cycle.

Hello to Lisa, Tracey and Murphy! Hope everyone is well, Mary

Hello

Jody - I'd completely forgotten about the guide. Thanks for the reminder. Sounds like a great workout!

Mary - how exciting! Will you be posting from your travels?

I've now got a cold, so dropping the workouts for a couple of days to try and recover. I think I hear an afternoon nap calling me...

Hi ladies! Life has been busy here! The heat broke and boy did it break! Right into a huge hail storm! Skylight was busted, estimate is $1000 to fix. Roof has hail hits about every 2 ft, trying to figure out if we should pursue with ins getting it fixed. My biking friend DH was in Ins and her son is in roofing. I hate dealing with all of this! We have been riding though not as much as last year, only 75 miles a week vs the 100 a week last year. I think this year is more intense with riding with DH and not my slow neighbor (less time to rest and HR higher overall). So maybe it equals out?

Jody, I think FL traumatized me for birds and gaters! I probably had a traumatic event as a child with those seagulls swooping down on me to get food! I do remember one time when I was in my early teens. Then there was the time I was water skiing in the lake and wiped out and my friend yelled, "hurry up this is where the crocs are!" I got those skiis back on fast! Which makes me think back when, my friend was only in 9th grade and driving the boat, is that even legal? *shrugs*

Ronne, Hope you feel better! Nap sounds good! I'm being very consistant in my stretching and my knees feel so much better, so tight hammies contribute to knee pain, who knew?!?! Well I do now! So, I've been more diligent about stretching my neck too, however one day when I did no exercise, I did foam roll my muscles from neck to shoulder blade like PT taught me and they hurt the rest of the day! Like they got irritated, will have to discuss with my massage lady and see what she thinks as to why it did that! So only stretching for me, trying to embrace the stretch which is so important for us soon to be seniors! lol!

Mary, how exciting!

Oh, DH was supposed to get on another project but still no word on getting the official allocation and it's been over a week, his termination date is 6/26 unless he gets on this gig. And I've spent way too much money this past month and now all these house expenses. We just spent over $1000 to get the trees professionally trimmed (we've never had them trimmed and been here 25 yrs). Now the skylight and possible roof, with the $1000 for the skylight we are almost halfway to our deductible, sigh!

I did another spotify tabata and TB body weight workout but can't figure out/remember which day it was- which really annoys me. It just feels a little chaotic around here. I'll probably do another outdoor tabata/body weight thing today. I can't afford to get wiped out and blob out on the couch so my workout will be quick and dirty, whatever it is.

I'm disappointed I won't be skinny before London next week, oh well. Later on today will be for brows/pedi (tomorrow is hair). Today also I will go for Global Entry interview. My Capital One card reimburses me for the fee and I can't resist a Fast Pass opportunity. Global Entry is TSA precheck and US Customs.

I sound really grumpy, don't I?

Lisa, what did you decide on for the roof? Were the neighbors any help with that decision? My new neighbor has an uncle who will be remodeling a bathroom for me. Neighbors can be handy! Let us know if DH picked up another project. Oh today is the 26th. So?

Ronne, how is the cold? Work sounds busy, still. Did you get back to workouts?

Mary, why is journey 32 hours? You leave on the 29th? You are probably busier than me right now!

Murphy, how goes?

Tracy, I hope you are doing well!

Hi all! I have been working out, just walking ones tho, I got a terrible sinus infection, did a round of antibiotics, feel better, but the drainage still continues! Argh! Now they started me on a medrol dose pack, I hope that helps, cough is making me nuts! I don’t want to be quarantined on the plane!

Jody, you go next week?? That came quick! DS did my flight, 2 hours to JFK, 5 hour layover, 10 hours to Istanbul, 5 hour layover there, 2 hours to Naples, then a 90 minute train to Sorentto to get DD, maybe 26 hours, I did my math wrong! Lol! Last time I let him do my arrangements!

Lisa, I’m so sorry! So frustrating! I would rather rent than own, then you can just call someone! Downside, no tax write off. Today is the 26th, any news???

Jody, are you feeling better? I think a cold in the summer is the worst!

Hi to Murphy and Tracey!

Hope everyone is well! Mary

Hi girls! We’re heading into another heatwave (one day will be 100) so we took bikes in for service, another new chain, my front brake needs fixed (that is under warranty) and just tuning.

Jody, I say healthy is better than skinny! Just like in quilting, finished is better than perfect!

Mary, cold sounds miserable, hope you’re not sniffling on the plan. Wow, that’s a long trip! I don’t think I’d survive!

So, yes today is the 26th, no new project, hr asked if he want to relocate, uh, no. So he asked what to expect on the 26th. Well, guess what, they need approval to terminate him and they’ll let him know 24 hrs in advance. He asked who gives approval and it’s the legal dept. so confused! Why publish in an email your termination date if it’s not binding? So stay tuned...... I still bet they want him to quit on his own, nope we’ll ride it out.

Roof, ugh. Neighbors insurance bought their roof, deck and air conditioner. We filed a claim, waiting for adjuster, they flew out more adjusters this weekend because the storm was so big. Hoping Friday they come because we had another roofing company look at it and there is damage to the roof. He thinks insurance may buy it and he will walk the roof with the adjuster. We are having this roofer look at my sons house too, will here more in that later today. So, stay tuned. Seems to be my motto. I hope insurance buys the roof since there is some damage, it’ll be a pain with replacing but this roof is only 8 yrs old and was a quality roof!

Big sigh

I did get to a workout today- hiit style body weight. And, successful mission on getting my Global Entry/TSA precheck. woot woot!

Lisa that is a lot to manage, good luck. I hope it's repaired. I am having a bathroom re done so I'm feeling the pain of home ownership as well. I think I'd like a very light type of bike or a bigger car for carrying it. Just a wish, not a need.

Mary, Ronne is the one with your twin summer cold, but I think you realized that, just misspoke. TBH, that is a little hysterical to hear your itinerary. Any chance you can leave the airport in Istanbul? I'm guessing the airport will be cultural in and of itself, still, it'd be interesting to see beyond it. Sounds like lots of opportunity to meet people and see some stuff!

Hello everyone

Jody - is that another bathroom? Didn't you have one redone recently? So, does that mean you don't get checked at the airport? Nice.

Lisa - So, DH's company would like him to leave so they don't have to pay any redundancy money, is that right? Hope he gets things sorted out. It's horrible just hanging around waiting to be told. Good luck with the roof, hope the insurance company coughs up. Dealing with insurance claims - there's another thing on the top 10 list of pain in the backside stuff! Hope you get to enjoy some bike rides in the good weather, if it's not too hot.

Mary - that's one hell of a trip! Poor you. I think you need a better travel agent ! ;) Glad to hear you're feeling better.

So, I'm over the cold now at last and back to working out. Keeping it short still as I'm so busy but I'm enjoying finding stuff that's just about 30 mins. Did 4DS Bis & Tris Monday, 4DS Shoulders & Core yesterday and CSS today.
The weather is amazing here at the moment, so warm, we're having a great summer. Fortunately it's a dry heat so not too bad for sleeping. Treated myself to a facial at the weekend and then we had family over to watch the football on Sunday.
I'm going to talk by an artist tonight with BF. Then we'll probably go for a drink somewhere.

Ronne, I'm working on the rest of the bathroom, floor re-tile and vanity. The other part was replacing the shower. Yes the Global Entry reduces wait time at the US airport security lines and Customs upon return. It included finger prints and a background check and interview though! Capital One came through and have already reimbursed me. How was the evening and artist presentation?

Mary, prayers for safe travels and an amazing trip!

Lisa, that does sound like a confusing situation with hubs. At least he's reconciled to it and hopefully not too stressed about the whole thing?

I did another outside Hiit workout today. LOL, guess what, I had a cholesterol screen. My levels were along the lines of WTH? My self experimentation and biohacking may need some tweaking.

I hope all are doing well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.