Which of the KB workouts are the hardest?

gidget1978

Cathlete
Im not going to bother buying all of the new dvds....not right now anyway. I haven't done a step workout in I don't know how long and I never did bother to learn the 4DS step routines.

So I have decided to buy HIIT, Cardio core, circuit and a KB workout...but I don't know which one. Preferably I would like to buy the hardest of the 3, or the most fun. Im not a huge KB fan either but I like doing it every once in a while.

Lori:)

Sounds like MMA Boxing is what you might like. This DVD also has a 20 minute bonus. While the bonus it meant to be used with a bag, it can be modified and done without the bag. The entire workout is on my "to do" list for today in an attempt to burn off the Christmas cookies people keep giving me :eek:!

Sounds like MMA Boxing is what you might like. This DVD also has a 20 minute bonus. While the bonus it meant to be used with a bag, it can be modified and done without the bag. The entire workout is on my "to do" list for today in an attempt to burn off the Christmas cookies people keep giving me :eek:!

I second MMA boxing.

Although MMA Kickboxing is fun and proves to be a decent workout, I did not find it to be challenging. There's a lot of down time and once a combination is taught, it is not repeated enough to feel a burn. It doesn't keep the heartrate up long enough to break a sweat. It definitely has a place in this series and can't wait to see where Cathe puts it in a rotation utilizing STS strength training. Hope that helps.

I would go with MMA Fusion, I think it is a better cardio. I felt it was more difficult because you really have to think about the muscles you need to use to perform the burn. I didn't find the boxing didn't do as much.

I third the boxing. I found it incredibly challenging--I'm shocked some folks didn't! :eek: My HR reached the 170s during the WU, & 190 during the heavy bag section. I don't really take those breaks--I don't bother using markers for the drills, so I just do a light shuffle to keep the HR up. The UB drills aren't super tough, but the LB drills are killers.

I don't know that it'd be as challenging if you don't have a bag, but of the 3 that's the one that really puts a hurtin on me. ;)

I LOVE the Boxing workout- much tougher than it looks on preview and my HR really stays up there. I did the heavy bag portion yesterday and it really got me. :) Like Laura, I don't use markers for the lower body drills so I just shuffle in place to keep my HR going.

I also think Fusion is a good choice- it's different and also kicked my butt. I felt like a bit of a nerd doing this one, because the moves are unusual. The triangle choke holds are tough and my pace doesn't always match Cathe's. But this is also an excellent workout and higher intensity than I expected.

I would also go with MMA Fusion. I had to use 1# weights for kickboxing and boxing to kick up the intensity. I didn't use weights with MMA Fusion.

Marcy

If you want my opinion, I say MMA Boxing.....It's easy to pick up and you can give it your all right from the get go. You also can increase the intensity very easily by putting on your boxing gloves or use your micro load gloves (just one pound in them is PLENTY as we box fast). You can also up your intensity by jumping with more "vigor" during your leg drills....AND the bonus bag section is on this workout, giving you yet another 20 minute opportunity to burn some.

Just a suggestion, take it or leave it ;)

I would also go with MMA Fusion. I had to use 1# weights for kickboxing and boxing to kick up the intensity. I didn't use weights with MMA Fusion.

Marcy

Strange - I posted something yesterday about how disappointed I was in this workout, and how I think that Cathe's workouts are not as challenging as they once were. Can't find that post anymore. Was it cut? Are members not allowed to say this kind of thing?

Post Deleted by Moderator

Strange - I posted something yesterday about how disappointed I was in this workout, and how I think that Cathe's workouts are not as challenging as they once were. Can't find that post anymore. Was it cut? Are members not allowed to say this kind of thing?

There is a difference between expressing disappointment and being rude. Constructive criticism is always welcome on our site, but we expect a certain amount of civility and tact. Your post had neither and this violates our forum rules. We also have to be alert to people who try to use our site to cause harm, use multiple usernames, or secretly promote another product. I'm not saying this previous statement applies to you, but you only have 9 posts to your credit and the email address you registered with is not your personal email address. These are both "red flags" and when combined with what you wrote has resulted in your post being deleted.

I certainly didn't mean to be rude - I just was expressing disappointment because I have, as I said in the post, been devoted to Cathe's workouts for 13 years or so. I apologize if that's a bad thing to say. Other people have also said that they didn't like this workout as much as some of the others.

Just did the boxing for the second time. I think it's a really good beginner/intermediate workout. It's not for advanced or advanced-intermediates, and you need to know the basic moves before doing it (which is why I'd say "intermediate" level rather than just "beginner" ) but for someone starting out with Cathe or with boxing workouts it's a good workout.

My personal favorite of the 3 is MMA fusion, I like all the unique and new exercises that none of my other KB dvds have.

I only did Boxing after I did a leg workout, and my legs were pretty spent, so I did it more for the upper body as an add-on, and found the Boxing dvd really serves as a great core workout. Maybe I'll try it out today in it's entirety.

My personal fave of the 3 shock cardio kb's is absolutely BOXING! :D

I wear Cathe's 1# gloves with BOXING and get a phenominal work out! Upper boy burner for sure plus great cardio! The leg drills leave me ready to drop. I can't keep up! It's awesome! :)

I've never tried the heavy bag w/o as I don't have a bag but I will have to try it one day, modified!

There you have it! My 2 cents!

Now what will it be, Lori?? You must come back and let us know!

Last edited:
I find MMA Fusion to be signifcantly more challenging than Kickbox or Boxing and I wear handweights for each of them. I think the latter 2 are extremely fun and flow wonderfully. I reach for them on days when I don't want my legs to work so hard and I want the upper body to take over a bit.

For me Fusion requires more demanding moves of larger muscle groups such as legs and core and chest.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.