Whey protein?

LizC7

Cathlete
Does whey protein really help with building muscle? I see all the recommendations sold on Beachbody and was hoping you might recommend something? What's good to mix in a smoothie to help muscle tone development and recovery from those tough STS workouts?

I use this protein as well and i must say that quite a few of the flavors are good. With most powders i stick with chocolate because it's the least gag-worthy...haha! But with this company it'as actually safe to branch out. GNC and DPS nutrition usually have a sample pack of single use packets so that you can try the different flavors without buying in bulk.

I use this as well, but I can't remember where I purchased it. Probably vitacost.com.

The vanilla ice cream flavor is delish and very versatile. Add a tsp or two of instant coffee and it's even better...:eek:

Thanks Everyone!

Thank you for the responses. I'm going to work a scoop into my smoothie! Now my poor muscles can recover a little faster!

Hi Cathe! Is there a reason why you drink whey protein over other types of proteins and/or protein blends? I drink Nitrean, which I believe is a blend of whey, casein, and egg proteins, but that's just because it is what my husband has always bought. Is it better to stick with just whey protein?

Whey...when

When I get a job (still trying, hopefully will have one by next week), I would like to workout before work (6am-7am) and I can eat afterward, but what do you think about 4oz skim milk with 1/2 scoop of whey before the workout? I can't drink it with water...I figure I'd have the 4oz as soon as I wake up (5:45) and then get into my workout clothes and go down, it will take me 10 min's or so to get started, prob 15 min's.
Anyone do that or think it's ok?
thanks - Autumn

difference between whey and whey protein isolate??

I started using whey protein isolate instead to keep the cholesterol down. Cathe do you know the difference between whey and whey protein isolate?

I started using whey protein isolate instead to keep the cholesterol down. Cathe do you know the difference between whey and whey protein isolate?

Whey is what's left after all the liquid has been removed from milk during cheese (curdling) process. There are different types of whey, as in isolate form and concentrate form. Isolate is a more pure form with a higher value of protein usually upwards to 98% whereas concentrate form is 75% or so and has more fat in it. So what I'm meaning is...whey is whey, but there are different grades of whey with isolate being purer and also costs more but is easily digested. Concentrate is a lower grade, but on the flip side is less expensive...:D

Hope this helps. The best time to ingest protein, any protein is about 45 minutes to 1-1/2 after lifting weights.

Do you all know if Jay Robb's product is as good quality as the one Cathe recommended? I have to be careful about artificial ingredients and sweeteners, because I have an auto immune disease that makes me sensitive. (I get headaches or digestive problems from sucralose and artificial color and flavor. What a pain!) The Jay Robb's seems to work well for me, but I don't know all that much about the amino acid profiles: http://www.jayrobb.com/nutrition/wheyProteinFlavored_Isolate.htm

Do you all know if Jay Robb's product is as good quality as the one Cathe recommended? I have to be careful about artificial ingredients and sweeteners, because I have an auto immune disease that makes me sensitive. (I get headaches or digestive problems from sucralose and artificial color and flavor. What a pain!) The Jay Robb's seems to work well for me, but I don't know all that much about the amino acid profiles: http://www.jayrobb.com/nutrition/wheyProteinFlavored_Isolate.htm

I've used Jay Robb's protein, its a higher quality protein then the Optimum since its 100% isolate whereas Optimum has a mix of isolate and concentrate forms. Optimum has an all natural version called "100% Natural Whey" but it does have fructose in it (monosaccharide, simple sugar), the other sweetner is stevia (herb). Dymatize makes a natural whey called "Dymatize All Natural Elite Whey" which doesn't contain added fructose, it only uses stevia for the sweetner. (The chocolate one is amazing!)

Robb's BCAA ratio is right on also. For what its worth, there's nothing wrong with concentrate form of whey proteins, the body absorbs and utilizes this protein slower compared to isolate, which has its advantages.

You may want to look at hemp protein also.

Hi Cathe,

I have a question. I'm new in this workout world and I just bought my whey protein. Do you think if I just do aerobic classes (step, cardio, some lifting, etc..) I should take whey protein? If not, what should I take to help me in my workouts and also to give me more energy. If so, when? I see you say about 45 min after workout is the best.

I'm afraid of not using it right and end up getting weight instead of losing it.:confused:

I love Jay Robb's protein powder. It's clean and sweetened with Stevia.

If you are brave, you can make your own protein powder at www.proteinfactory.com. At $10.50 a pound for whey protein powder with Stevia, you can't go wrong! :) Well, it's not as tasty as Jay Robb's but is MUCH cheaper. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.