Where I've been the past couple days....

Wendy,

Just wanted to say that I'll be praying for you and your family. What a scary experience. I'm glad Joey is doing better.

Lots of hugs to you and your family.

Oh no, Wendy!!! How terrible! I sure am glad the docs seem optimistic that it won't happen again. You take care of that cute little guy. He will be in my thoughts continually.

*gasp* Oh no, Wendy. How awfully scary! I'm glad that the docs couldn't find anything wrong and I'm sending lots of "no more seizure" vibes to Mr. Joeypants and lots of "get rest" vibes to you and DH.

((((( hugs )))))

>Sometimes a seizure can be caused by an electrolyte imbalance
>and you say that Joey was suffering with a stomach virus the
>few days before the seizure. Was he having vomiting and
>diarrhea? I'm sure the doctors' checked this out but it's
>just a thought. Something similar happened to one of my
>daughters a few years ago after an illness. Same
>scenario....seizure....911....hospitalization, etc. To date,
>thank goodness, no signs of seizure activity.
>
>I wish you well!!!!
>
>Nancy

Yes, Nancy-He had a nasty stomach virus that has been circulating in my area-massive diarrhea and 2 bouts of vomiting between Sat morn and Sun evening. DH and myself thought it was connected to the seizures as well. One of the doc's talked about the possibility of this being the culprit but that was as far as it went. I think they may have been concerned that it was not the reason or that somthing else was going on in addition because of the # of seizures he had. In any case, your experience with your daughter made me feel better. Thank you for the comfort and for your knowledge.:)

Wendy - Oh my! I am sorry! I hope and pray that everything is okay and that he never has another one! I am sure that had to be very scary! Hope you guys get rested up and that Joey feels better!

Linda

>Like Robin, I also assumed you were busy with holiday stuff.
>I'm so sorry you had to go through this, and I'm sending lots
>of good health vibes to little Joey. Wasn't there someone else
>on the boards who went through this recently? My "senior"
>brain can't remember who it was, but it sounds very familiar.
>
>
>Hugs to you, DH and Joey.
>Nancy

Thanks Nancy. :)
I don't know who may have gone through this but I suffer from CRS (can't remember sh*t) almost daily so it's no surprise!:p :7 ;)

>Wendy- OMG ...what a frightening experience for you! And on
>Christmas of all days too! Huge {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} to you
>and your little Joey. Everyone on these boards and especially
>at the cheetah check-in, thinks the world of you.... you are
>so special and it breaks my heart that you've been going
>through this.
>It is very encouraging that they found no underlying disorder.
> I have dealt with patients who tell me that they had seizures
>when they were quite young and they never reappeared. It
>sounds promising that this may well be the case with Joey.
>Hang in there honey.....
>
>with much love
>
>ShellyC

Shelly, The doctors that took care of Joey said the same thing...seizures can occur at a very young age and then never happen again. I am hanging on to those words with both hands!:) It stinks that he still has to be medicated but better to be safe than sorry right now. Thank you. :)

To All:

Thank you so much for your kind, caring words of support! I knew I could count on everyone here. :)

The 3 of us (Joey, DH and myself) are pretty wiped out both physically, mentally and emotionally from the past days' events but we should all be fine once we get our rest. Joey is down for his second nap with in hours. Poor lil' guy is exhausted. :-(

We will have to watch him more closely over the next couple of weeks to see how he reacts to the meds and to check for any further signs of seizures coming on.

We have a daily med for him as well as an "emergy med" b/c if he DOES have another seizure and it is more than 1 minute long, we need to give him this stronger med. Hopefully we never have to use that one!

Despite his exhaustion and the effect that the med is having on him (imagine a toddler who had a miniature cocktail ;) ), he is still basically his happy go lucky self. He's wobbly on his feet right now but it's steadily getting better. He was unable to walk around for 2 solid days and when you add that to the med and being tired you have one super wobbly 19 month old!:7

Thank you all again from the bottom of my heart.:)

Wendy, how frightening for all of you! I'm so sorry you, DH and sweet angel Joey have had to go through this. I'm hoping that it will turn out to be one of those one-time things that can sometimes happen to very young children after a dehydrating illness, as someone else suggested might be the case. For what it's worth, I asked my sister (who is a pediatric ER/trauma nurse) and she said that they see cases in their ER all the time that sound just like Joey's -- seizures after a dehydrating illness -- and that most of these kids make a full recovery and have no other seizure issues as they grow up.

Sending big (((((((((hugs)))))) and saying prayers for you all!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif

((((((Wendy))))) That must have been so scary! I noticed you hadn't posted for a few days, but like Robin and Nance just thought you were busy with the holiday.

Hugs to you, Sal and little Joey! :* :* :* :*

Oh geez, Wendy -- wobby Joey...but still a happy Joey!! J

ust wanted to let you know a friend of mine here has a son (10 years old) who had seizures and is on similar meds for a bit.

Different circumstances because this kid was NOT sick first, but it turns out he has very mild childhood epilepsy and is still living a very normal life. He still swims competitively and is really good and is really back to his old self after starting meds about a month or a month-and-a-half ago. My friend had a hard time with how sedated the meds made her kid, but she ended up feeling that it was well worth it and the side effects definitely wore off day by day.

Sounds like you got good medical care, and you have a good plan to wait and watch and doctors you feel confident about.

Know we are all thinking about you, praying for the best and hoping this amounts to a bad few days in your family life.

-barb
:)

Wendy! I did notice you had not been here. I was racking my blonde brain trying to remember if you were going somewhere for a few days! I am so sorry for what Joey, Sal and you have gone thru. I will of course pray for no more seizures for sweet Joey. You and Sal will also be in my thoughts and prayers...sending hugs...http://www.digitalmediatree.com/library/image/12/hug.gif[/img]

Wendy, my DD had the flu at 13 months, and had seizures with it, about 3-4 that day. She is now 13 and has never had seizures again. I hope this is the case with your son.

Wendy, so sorry to hear of your distress! Keep your chin up though. My DD(11yr - she's now 15) had a seizure disorder. She was on meds for 2 years. After this time, her EEG, was normal and we removed her from meds, with no repercussions!

Phyllis

http://www.picturetrail.com/pwmatt check out new pics posted 12/20

Wendy, my thoughts and prayers are with Joey. Hope you get some rest. So hard not to worry.

Jeanette

So sorry to hear about your son. I will keep my fingers crossed that the doctors find the cause and can treat it. Good vibes for 2007!!;-)

Angie

How frightening! I've read about infants/toddlers having seizures with fever, but never knew anyone who had to go through this. I hope this doesn't happen to your little guy again... and he's back to running around and being healthy real soon.

Wendy.. I'm so sorry about Joey... I know all about seizures. My two had what they call afebrile (without fever) seizures and were on phenobarbital for a while. Both were on it until six months after their LAST seizure. Both started at about age 5 1/2 months. DS had more than DD. They were both seizure free by 2 years old.

It also runs in families. I had them and so did my brother and sister. My daddy had them and so did his mother and her mother. I'm afraid my little grandson will have them too. I've already forewarned DS and DIL. It will scare the life out of you. My brother has three children and two of them had them. Of my cousins on the dad's side, my cousin's had them and only one cousin's child has had them.

Bizarre but we are well acquainted with them. I really hope my grandson doesn't have them.

I'll keep little Joey in my prayers.

ETA - They are harmless as far as I know with my experience with them. Everyone in my family that have had them are normal (well DH might make an exception in my case;) ) but no ill effects have ever shown themselves even years later.... Me, my brother, sister and cousins are all in the 40's and my dad is 73.

Hi Wendy,

I can only imagine the roller coaster of emotions and feelings that you & your family have experienced in the last few days :( . I am so sorry that anyone has to go through this kind of situation. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

{{{{{Cyber Hugs}}}}},
jordan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.