Where is your bookmark? (book thread)

What a good idea Clare! Thank you. I am going to request Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on CD. I love audio books! They are great for when I take walks.

Carrie

Elaine, I read The Road a few years ago, before the movie was even in the works, and I HATED it!! I expected some spectacular ending, and it just fizzled. Frankly I don't know how they're going to make a movie out of such a terrible book. OTOH, I had a friend who read it, and loved it, so maybe you'll like it, who knows? I just found it dreadfully boring.

Ok, I finally finished Weight of Water. Books like that need to come with a parental warning - i.e. don't read if you are a new parent and still hormonal. I had to hug Akadia extra hard after finishing that up. Started reading The Art of Racing in the Rain and was already getting misty eyed by the first chapter. It's a book written by a dog about his life. Kind of cute so far.

I just finished Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi. It was very easy to read and an interesting memoir.

Someone had recommended the Anita Blake series to me since i like Karen Moning's Highlander & Fever series but i'm not really into it. I made it through the first book but the second one is sitting unfinished while i read other books.

I read most of the Outlander series (a few times) but I started losing interest after Drums of Autumn. A Breath of Snow and Ashes has been sitting on my shelf unread for ages!:eek:

I'm starting The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo next.

Elaine, I read The Road a few years ago, before the movie was even in the works, and I HATED it!! I expected some spectacular ending, and it just fizzled. Frankly I don't know how they're going to make a movie out of such a terrible book. OTOH, I had a friend who read it, and loved it, so maybe you'll like it, who knows? I just found it dreadfully boring.

My mother gave me The Road and told me that it was one of the best books she's ever read. Your comments sort of remind me of the movie No Country for Old Men, also by Cormac McCarthy. I was unable to grasp the meaning of that movie and hated how it ended.

I've actually put The Road aside while reading Condoleeza Rice's Extraordinary Ordinary People. So far so good. I just cannot imagine living in the world as she knew it while growing up.

I'm rereading book 6 in the Outlander series, A Breath of Snow and Ashes. It's got almost 1000 pages and I'm flying thorugh it-again. Best. Series. Ever. Oh, and Diana Gabaladon just released a graphic novel based on the first book, Outlander-page 5 is worth buying the book!;) Jamie Fraser-yum!

ETA: For all you Outlander fans, check out these sites: http://myoutlanderpurgatory.com and http://lallybroch.com

I've been obsessed since 1992!

Last edited:
Someone had recommended the Anita Blake series to me since i like Karen Moning's Highlander & Fever series but i'm not really into it. I made it through the first book but the second one is sitting unfinished while i read other books.

Anita Blake was good up until about Narcissus in Chains. Then it turned it cheap, poorly written group sex scenes, with nary a plot to be seen. *sigh* And I loved those books, too. I kept on trying, but the most recent one, I put down halfway through and gave up. I miss the old Anita.

Nan

I'm getting ready to start "Poison" by Sara Poole. Random library selection. It looked interesting. It is set in the Renaissance era is about the Borgia family poisoner. Historical fiction.

Nan

Anita Blake was good up until about Narcissus in Chains. Then it turned it cheap, poorly written group sex scenes, with nary a plot to be seen. *sigh* And I loved those books, too. I kept on trying, but the most recent one, I put down halfway through and gave up. I miss the old Anita.

Nan

Maybe I'll make an attempt to finish the second book before i start something else. I finished the first one pretty fast so maybe i just wasn't in the right frame of mind when i started the second one. I have the boxed set of the first 4 books so i'll give it another go before i decide to give them away.

I'm in the middle of Grisham's "The Confession". I've read all the Outlander series. I love them!

Last edited:
Ok, I finally finished Weight of Water. Books like that need to come with a parental warning - i.e. don't read if you are a new parent and still hormonal. I had to hug Akadia extra hard after finishing that up. Started reading The Art of Racing in the Rain and was already getting misty eyed by the first chapter. It's a book written by a dog about his life. Kind of cute so far.

The Art of Racing in the Rain is one of my all time favorite books! You will cry your eyes out, but it is a wonderful story!
I just started a Jennifer Weiner book, Best Friends Forever. Total Chick Lit - I just love her writing!

Pam

I read this series by JD ROBB aka Nora Roberts called 'In Death'. I love this series I gues in bookstore it's under romance but they are crime solving stories which I am all about.

One day I would like to investigate homicides so this is right up my alley :)

I'm rereading book 6 in the Outlander series, A Breath of Snow and Ashes. It's got almost 1000 pages and I'm flying thorugh it-again. Best. Series. Ever. Oh, and Diana Gabaladon just released a graphic novel based on the first book, Outlander-page 5 is worth buying the book!;) Jamie Fraser-yum!

ETA: For all you Outlander fans, check out these sites: http://myoutlanderpurgatory.com and http://lallybroch.com

I've been obsessed since 1992!

Klaudia - thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

I heard the 8th book isn't going to be released until 2013. I hope that isn't true.

I just started The Fiery Cross and I'm loving it so far.

Just finished Tami Hoag's, Deeper than the Dead. It was so good! Also a huge Jack Reacher fan. Read 61 hours, and loved it!

looking for something now....
ann marie

Debbie, that wouldn't surprise me! If you're looking for something to fill in the gap between books, I recommend the Into the Wilderness series by Sara Donati-similar writing to Diana Gabaldon's. It's set in upstate New York at the end of the 18th century-it's loosely based on a character from Last of the Mohicans. And there's 6 books in the series:) Also check out Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet-good historical fiction.

Debbie, that wouldn't surprise me! If you're looking for something to fill in the gap between books, I recommend the Into the Wilderness series by Sara Donati-similar writing to Diana Gabaldon's. It's set in upstate New York at the end of the 18th century-it's loosely based on a character from Last of the Mohicans. And there's 6 books in the series:) Also check out Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet-good historical fiction.

Thank you! I will write those down and check them out when I need something to read!

Klaudia - thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

I heard the 8th book isn't going to be released until 2013. I hope that isn't true.

I just started The Fiery Cross and I'm loving it so far.

Debbie,
I feel your pain in having to wait! When i first read Outlander i had to wait for each and every book to come out which is why i've read them more than once. You should see the original covers of the first three books. They look like cheesy romance covers.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.