Wheat pizza dough?

inkskin

Hi all,

I am new to the Cathe system as of May 4, doing my first STS Meso 1. I am loving it. I also have completely changed my diet as of April 10 and have lost 21 pounds so far.
I have been eating a very clean and measured diet, and am now looking for a recipe for wheat pizza dough so I can start incorporating pizza in a cleaner way. As of right now, one slice without cheese and only vegetables and some sprinkled parmesan(it is excellent!) is my treat for a hard week of working out, but I would like to make it myself now so I can make a healthier crust.
I just don't know how. Has anyone here made a good wheat crust? I saw one at whole foods but am hoping for a recipe.
Thanks!

Hi!
Despite a lot of searching, I have not been able to find a 100% whole wheat pizza crust recipe that is any good. Here's a recipe I use. You can experiment with the amount of whole wheat. The proportions I mentioned are very good. This makes a very thin crust, which I think is just right. It's also great to freeze the dough. We love this recipe!

no-rise pizza dough for freezer

2 cups very warm water, not hot
2packages yeast
3 tbsp flour
5 cups flour (3 c whole wheat, 2 c all-purpose)
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
cornmeal for dusting bottom of pizza
1 tbsp oil

Yields 4 large (thin) pizza crusts, 8 slices each. Best to do single batches.

In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, and 2 T flour. Sprinkle 1 T on top. Wait until flour is totally absorbed, then add remaining ingredients. Knead dough with mixer until dough begins to clean sides of bowl, 6-12 min depending on mixer. (I use my Kitchen Aid.) Don’t allow it to get too stiff. Divide in four. For dough that you want to freeze, roll into a ball and cover in plastic wrap. For dough you're going to use now, roll on cornmeal-dusted pizza stone or pizza pan. Brush crust lightly with canola or olive oil and prick with fork every ½-1 inch. Prebake 5-8 m in preheated 500 degree oven. Remove and let it cool so that you can add toppings. Bake for 5-10 minutes at 450.

For frozen dough, thaw in fridge. Preheat oven to 450. Add toppings. Bake for 15-20 m or until crust is nicely browned and cheese is melted.

Wonderful! Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for.
I also like a very thin crust and like to use the vegetables as the bulk of the pizza. I do not put cheese on it for cooking, instead I sprinkle a bit of parmesan on it when it is done. My friends thought it wouldn't cut it and were surprised to find that it was very good and had a lot less fat. Since I only get a slice every so often I am so pleased to find an even more nutritious crust recipe.
Thanks again!

I have used the recipe from Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day (by Francois and Hertzberg). Tried to find the recipe online to link but I didn't see it with a quick search. This is a fantastic book and totally worth borrowing from a library at the very least.

Have you tried this one from Clean Eating? I make it weekly, and roll the crust out very thin, making two XL pizza's. We love it. This is one of the only crusts that I will make 100% whole wheat. Most others I'm like jag2, I have to add some white flour to make it work. We have had a weekly homemade pizza night for about 8 years or so now, and I'm so happy to have found this one, I now make it about 95% of the time. The only time I make a different crust now, is if I want a thicker crust, as whole wheat doesn't seem to fare well in thick pizza crusts for us. Some times I make it exactly as written, most times I sub about 1/4-1/2 cup of flour for semolina (or even finely ground cornmeal in a pinch), which makes a wonderfully tasty gourmet-like crust.

I LOVE baking! :D (Especially w/whole grains - which I even grind myself :eek:) It is my passion (& my downfall @ times, lol), so I hope it works for you. I also have a couple of whole grain pizza recipes in a King Arthur Whole Grain Baking book that are pretty good, some are all WW, some contain a bit of bread/all-purpose flour, yet still incorporate the grains nicely. I can post one of them if you want...

Last edited:
Thank you so much kikster! That looks exactly like it will fit my needs, I look forward to trying it next week.
That's so great that you grind your own grains. If you get a chance I would definitely be interested in another recipe. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.